• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic releases the Unreal Engine 4 demo "A Boy and His Kite"

knerl

I never said W3 does.. There are two arguments in this thread.

1) W3 looks more impressive than this demo while actually playing it. I agree with this. Yes, it's a demo, but for all the power from a GPU it requires, it's not really doing anything that screams "incredible".

2) This demo rivals movie quality graphics such as Monster House. This is pure hyperbolic and doesn't even come close to the complexity of even Toy Story 1. The example given is the limitation that today's hardware still can't push a crap load of triangles through the pipeline without compromising the real-time defintion. On top of that, they can't process shadowing every light source for every object in the scene. Again, a big limitation in hardware. Without those two fundamentals, you can't really make comparisons to CGI and be taken seriously.

"Stop and look down at the ground with the foliage.. still using sprite cards that don't cast individual shadows on the ground. The ground underneath isn't even detailed enough like W3's ground." Sure sounds like you did. Considering what you wrote that's how I interpreted it. You mentioned the sprite cards in the same context as the ground together with Witcher 3 specifically. ^_^

2427153-2427140-2010_toy_story_3_002.jpeg
I really doubt this is more complex than the Kite demo. Even if it's more complex Toy Story 1 doesn't come close to the Kite demo in visual fidelity. Compared to this said demo I'd say Toy Story 1 looks really bad. It really is lacking in detail, lighting and shadows.

bee

dropped the resolution down to 1080p, the kite cinemtic (pgup) now runs at a constant 30fps no dips, incredible demo

Visual arguments aside, this thing is pretty much the best videocard OC stress test ever made. It made my new GTX 980 Ti crash when all the other things I run to test it did not. The demo framerate has a 30fps cap, so you have to force the videocard into a rendering situation where it can't hit that cap, such as cranking up the resolution to 4K.

It also happily uses all the VRAM I have when it's set to 4K, there seems to be a cycle where VRAM usage slowly creeps up to 6 GB and then it does something to clear VRAM and drops back to 5.2GB usage, then it repeats.

A user named psolord on the Anandtech forums compiled a standalone version of the demo that allows the use of the developer console. Short guide included in the original post.

Basically, you can raise the framerate cap above 30fps, meaning that this demo can now be used as legitimate benchmark of sorts.

Commands used:
t.MaxFPS 120 (Could be anything really, but my monitor is running at 120hz, so why not? My card couldn't go higher than 111fps. 200fps is bugged.)
r.VSync false

Here's how my MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G performed.

https://d.maxfile.ro/vbusjdpwpz.webm

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is it really a fair comparison to say that a demo like this isn't as visually good looking as games already on the market? I mean its not a game which are made by hundreds of people over years and years, its a tech demo probably made by a few people over a period of several months.

I have no doubt that if devs were actually working with the specs this demo was made with, they would absolutely murder this demo visually speaking to hell and back.

Batman PS4 looks the exact same as the Samaritan demo, and that ran on 3 580s at 1080p 30fps (i don't even think the PS4 GPU is as strong as only one 580)

Is it really a fair comparison to say that a demo like this isn't as visually good looking as games already on the market? I mean its not a game which are made by hundreds of people over years and years, its a tech demo probably made by a few people over a period of several months.

I have no doubt that if devs were actually working with the specs this demo was made with, they would absolutely murder this demo visually speaking to hell and back.

Batman PS4 looks the exact same as the Samaritan demo, and that ran on 3 580s at 1080p 30fps (i don't even think the PS4 GPU is as strong as only one 580)

'A Boy and His Kite' 's deal is its massive open world area, enormous high quality textures, and high object density. It really puts stuff like Agni 2012 and Deep Down to shame in terms of scale, and really isn't competing in terms of actor quality, particle counts, or polish (lots of geometry holes in the world you can see through, quality drop outside the 'golden path'). Spec wise, versus actual games, the 'golden path' portion of this demo alone pretty much stomps all over FFXV's Duscae and The Witcher 3 in terms of object density, texture quality, and perhaps scale (sans scale for TW3 obviously).

Addendum: PS4 is comparable to a 660, which beats a 580. In addition, you're talking about version 1 of Samaritan, which used 4x msaa.Version 2 ran on a single 680 and used FXAA. Deferred shading and MSAA equals massive overhead, which is why most DS'd games (lots of games this gen) use post AA.

Top Bottom