• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Equifax Data Breach could affect 143 million customers

Kthulhu

Three free PS3 games isn't going to cut it this time. Honestly there needs to be a cybersecurity overhaul, including penalties levied for lax security.

Trump's group of people responsible for cyber security all quit because they said he didn't take it seriously.

Hopefully the next president will push for all consumer data to be encrypted.

"Security" is an illusion.

There's some truth in this. If you make your services usable by humans at all they are going to be at risk. It's near-impossible to have a 100% secure, internet-connected service. You either pull everything offline with an air-gap (which would be so unwieldy as to be unusable these days) or you do the best you can and hope for the best. It's like trying to program completely bug-free software with no buffer overflows or other weaknesses. Essentially impossible with modern complexities. So these kinds of breaches are inevitable. It's not a surprise to me when they happen.

What do you do about it? Fix the problem and carry-on. We can't go back to the point where this isn't possible.

Jotaka

The eternal figth against hacking
wNZjA.jpg

My parents already had identity protection, and my CC hasn't needed to worry about credit score yet.
Still scary, though.

why even bother worrying at this point? the thieves and criminals won. I just hope I become an upper class white, land owning male with a six figure income.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
This is quite a big deal. They hold all relevant information for stealing one's identity. Might have to buy a pitchfork and join an angry mob now.

So you go to credit bureau website to make sure you are not a victim of Identity theft, only to become a victim of identity theft ? There's a joke here somewhere.

How do I even check If someone is impersonating me ? Go to Equifax lol ?

So you go to credit bureau website to make sure you are not a victim of Identity theft, only to become a victim of identity theft ? There's a joke here somewhere.

How do I even check If someone is impersonating me ? Go to Equifax lol ?

They'll make you pay for ID Theft Insurance while using your ID to get illegal loans and then lie to you about how safe your ID is.

TylerD

That site is part of Equifax's TrustedID initiative, so it's legit.

Be warned, though, they will try to enroll you in TrustedID after looking up your info.

Which they are providing free for one year to all US customers that sign up.

Tahnit

Banned
I think it’s time for some cybersecurity reform. Making sure all these companies are spending the money necessary to protect our data.

Anyone used this yet? Is it safe/worth using?

This seriously fucking pisses me off. Those impacted should be able to sue this company into oblivion.

I used it, but it only gave me a message saying I could enroll in their TrustID thing on 9/12. So based on the instructions, I assume I'm safe, but really they probably don't know everyone that could possibly be affected anyway.

Top Bottom