• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Equifax Data Breach could affect 143 million customers

Wait... we HAVE to have info held with them and they won't keep their shit secure?

These companies don't normally give a fuck if your info was stolen.

Steejee

Fucking hell I hate the credit bureaus.

Trying to remember if it was Equifax or Experian that had my credit score 150 pts lower than the other two because of a 12 year old $42 debt...

Future

Its not like you have a choice for these fuckers to have your information... so what exactly are they going to do to protect half the US from this shit, issue a "we are sorry"?

Ain't gonna do shit cuz they got the country by the balls

I used it, but it only gave me a message saying I could enroll in their TrustID thing on 9/12. So based on the instructions, I assume I'm safe, but really they probably don't know everyone that could possibly be affected anyway.

Apparently it doesn't even tell you if you were affected either way. It just signs you up for their monitoring service (which likely won't do anything either). Fucking Equifax.

sqwarlock

What's the best case scenario if your information was part of the breach?

Aside from freezing my credit, what can I possibly do? Just monitor things and if something happens go from there?

TylerD

CNN is reporting that "residents in the U.K. and Canada were also impacted."

I don't see any support for those locations though...

The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver's license numbers. In addition, credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 U.S. consumers, and certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers, were accessed. As part of its investigation of this application vulnerability, Equifax also identified unauthorized access to limited personal information for certain UK and Canadian residents. Equifax will work with UK and Canadian regulators to determine appropriate next steps. The company has found no evidence that personal information of consumers in any other country has been impacted.

Source: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

slit

Even tho the attacks give me job security, this is awful. The credit monitoring shit is also a laughable consolation at this point. There are so many ways you can be affected before your credit reports anything.

Good news!

Equifax's credit monitoring service works! They detected a breach and stolen credit data!*

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
*unfortunately, it was from Equifax's OWN DATABASES.

xReP2bM.gif

Meier

I find it fucking shocking that they're asking people to input 6 digits of their social on the web page to check if you were affected. I have never heard of something asking for 6. That's a fucking shitload of them, why not just go the whole hog if you're giving up that much. I guess the hackers probably already have your data so why not just give up most of it again, right?

I'm amazed we don't have financial Armageddon right now.

I'm still scratching my head over Wells Fargo's millions of fake accounts illegally transferring balances for commission bonuses.

Now this shit.

What's next? PayPal getting hacked?

The thing there is no way to have avoided this. If you have gotten any credit card, loan, or mortgage you are likely to be affected. I just hope that my credit monitoring will expose identity theft before a significant damage is done.

Based on the company’s investigation, the unauthorized access occurred from mid-May through July 2017. The company has found no evidence of unauthorized activity on Equifax’s core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases.

That doesn't sound that bad....

The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers.

So what the fuck did that previous sentence mean?!

How is this not more closely monitored ?
I know EQUIFAX/EXPERIAN/TRANSUNION share the same API for developers and websites that monitor credit reports and what not (banks, loan offices, etc)
Why aren't they testing for possible breaches against their own infrastructure ?
Test for vulnerabilities on all their clients before any websites are launched ?

This is seriously a major fuck up in their part

I know EQUIFAX/EXPERIAN/TRANSUNION share the same API for developers and websites that monitor credit reports and what not (banks, loan offices, etc)
Why aren't they testing for possible breaches against their own infrastructure ?
Test for vulnerabilities on all their clients before any websites are launched ?

It's either an inside job or some moron left a unlocked laptop laying around somewhere.

slit

Because a lot of times companies don't want to pay for independent penetration testing until it's too late. In Experian's case there is really no excuse because of the type of data they hold.

Chaplain

Some people were saying it's not even telling you if you were affected but it's just directing people to sign up for credit monitoring......

Edit: Unless the direction is an indication you were affected. IDK

It told me I wasn't affected, but my wife has to come back on the 12th. I assume she was hacked but I wasn't.

Yes. If you're affected, you'll receive credit and identification monitoring for free.

Some people were saying it's not even telling you if you were affected but it's just directing people to sign up for credit monitoring......

Yeah, there seem to be two separate links. One for checking and one for enrollment.

I really don't want to enter my details on a dodgy url though.

TylerD

Because a lot of times companies don't want to pay for independent penetration testing until it's too late. In Experian's case there is really no excuse because of the type of data they hold.

We are constantly having penetration tests as a banking services / managed services provider both internal and external. We take this shit very seriously.

This is maddening.

Zophar

Well fuck, I have to resubmit student loan refinancing paperwork next month and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to freeze my accounts until that's done. Not sure what to do.

Wilsongt

At this point, it is probably safe to assume every American's identity has been compromised with all of these hacks.

These mealy mouthed pr spin assholes couldn't even display a message to say I was impacted. Just a "come back after this date to enroll".

Top Bottom