• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold:The Fafnir Knight |OT| What a horrible Knight to have a curse

spiritfox

I have a gain force at start of every battle grimoire and a TP recovery grimoire on my Gunner, so she's basically mowing through all random encounters double shooting Burst Shot. It's pretty great.

tuffy

Which reminds me I should probably work on farming some better Grimoires too. I've accumulated a big collection of guild cards from random internet people with useful stuff, but don't have enough spare Grimoires to trade for a single level 10 skill; all my good level 8-9 ones are in use.

But I cleared out the Ginnungagap B4 mid-boss without much trouble and the early 4th stratum floors are going really smoothly, so I'll worry about that later.

spiritfox

dammit that scylla fight. i dont have enough aoe to stop the tentacles. she just outlives my party.

If you have leg bind resist you should be able to just ignore the tentacles. Get Prevent Order or Barrier to block Scylla's sleep, then either eat or wear for leg bind resist. Head bind should block Cry Soul too if you are in a pinch. Make sure you hit her with all the ice blocks too make things easier.

Anteo

If you have leg bind resist you should be able to just ignore the tentacles. I think you can get an accessory that stratum that does that. Also eat for resist sleep.

I was gonna try that but i'm not sure my front line can take on her with less armor. I have an alch and a soverign on the front line lol. I mean, the alch gets one shooted by her freeze aoe even with the +1 ice resists boots, the soverign barely survives

spiritfox

I was gonna try that but i'm not sure my front line can take on her with less armor. I have an alch and a soverign on the front line lol. I mean, the alch gets one shooted by her freeze aoe even with the +1 ice resists boots, the soverign barely survives

Do you have a Protector or Beast? Ice Wall from Protector or maxed Hit Taker from a Bikini Beast (lol) should take Ice Shave better than the boots, or you can throw an Ice Mist. Sov has the elemental circles too, but I'm not sure how well those reduce damage.

Again, head bind also stops Ice Shave, but you'll want to save that for later.

Anteo

Do you have a Protector or Beast? Ice Wall from Protector or maxed Hit Taker from a Bikini Beast (lol) should take Ice Shave better than the boots, or you can throw an Ice Mist. Sov has the elemental circles too, but I'm not sure how well those reduce damage.

The elemental circles are alright but they only work for the current turn so they are kind useless for my party. It's either buff, link or use a circle in each turn and the soverign has to use links to keep up with scylla's or otherwise the party runs out of steam. I mostly use hit taker as a way to recover from an almost dead party because it burns tp fast, I tend to use it towards the late part of the fight more but I'm not getting there yet.

I got provoke on the beast but whenever it gets overwhelmed everything just falls apart. Last time I had to use 2 limit break to stabilize the fight after the beast got knocked but the bastard summoned 2 tentacles on the same turn, I managed to land a head bind on scylla that should have bought me some turns, but she got out of the bind the next turn and landed one on my whole party. I guess I'll try some accesories on everyone but the alch, I think I'ts fine if she falls on that move.

Edit: I wonder if the slime foe gives some good armor, i should hunt one down. Also, using defense order on the front line makes it so the alch doenst get one shooted, but I kind of want the regen protect order on the beast instead. hmmm...

Edit2: The fight is super fun tho, the frustation I get whenever she summons 2 tentacles in the same turn and the relieve I get after I manage to deal with both fast enough is amazing. It's certanly more enjoyable than the Esbat fight: "oh we are dying, oh you died too!"

The elemental circles are alright but they only work for the current turn so they are kind useless for my party. It's either buff, link or use a circle in each turn and the soverign has to use links to keep up with scylla's or otherwise the party runs out of steam. I mostly use hit taker as a way to recover from an almost dead party because it burns tp fast, I tend to use it towards the late part of the fight more but I'm not getting there yet.

I got provoke on the beast but whenever it gets overwhelmed everything just falls apart. Last time I had to use 2 limit break to stabilize the fight after the beast got knocked but the bastard summoned 2 tentacles on the same turn, I managed to land a head bind on scylla that should have bought me some turns, but she got out of the bind the next turn and landed one on my whole party. I guess I'll try some accesories on everyone but the alch, I think I'ts fine if she falls on that move.

Edit: I wonder if the slime foe gives some good armor, i should hunt one down. Also, using defense order on the front line makes it so the alch doenst get one shooted, but I kind of want the regen protect order on the beast instead. hmmm...

Edit2: The fight is super fun tho, the frustation I get whenever she summons 2 tentacles in the same turn and the relieve I get after I manage to deal with both fast enough is amazing. It's certanly more enjoyable than the Esbat fight: "oh we are dying, oh you died too!"

A good Hexer with level 20 poison curse and the 2x poison food 1 shots the tentacles at the end of their turn if I remember right ( my Hexer was level 34-38 I can't remember). Really, poison has made boss adds a joke in stratum 2 and 3, so I never really learned how to deal with them. But even at level 10, poison is great for the adds since it adds a good bit of damage, and the curse is row targeting so if you have someone who can do ailments I definitely recommend it.

Honestly, I got to a point later in the game where I'd never use any food other than the tp regen one, especially on boss fights. Boss fights can last a long time, and TP is such a valuable resource. I'd probably have run out of tp on all of my characters super quickly without the regen. Of course, I was playing with the story party, so it might be different with a higher damage output classic party

The FOE puzzles suck. Too easy to get stuck with no way to reset unless you abuse Return Flutes or Floor Jumps. And bombs are the worst. I miss the conveyor belts from the original.
Sounds a lot like EOU1, which did a lot to dampen my enthusiasm for that game. Had never felt the need to grind in an EO game so badly as when dancing through those last floor FOEs and then hitting the final boss with the story party.

EO IV was incredible. Should I buy this? I played EO I on DS as well and I just started it up to see that I was on the 16th floor apparently (in 2008 or something) so I'd rather play an entirely new game. Should I go for EO2?

tuffy

EO IV was incredible. Should I buy this? I played EO I on DS as well and I just started it up to see that I was on the 16th floor apparently (in 2008 or something) so I'd rather play an entirely new game. Should I go for EO2?
Untold 2 is a good option after EO IV, I think. It plays similarly and even sticking to EO IV-style "classic" mode means you won't miss out on anything. It's harder to recommend going back to the original EO II on the DS after all this time because it wasn't balanced very well (like Force skills being stupidly overpowered) and features a number of oddball design decisions (like FOEs giving no experience at all).

mjc

Just finished the story mode in EOU1, but I think I'm gonna wait a bit to start 2. Don't want to get burned out.

But on the other hand, I'm already getting an itch to draw more dungeon maps. Hmm.

omlet

This one is a blast and the story mode is better than EOU1's. I would still recommend playing EOU1 classic mode before this, but if you really don't want to then this isn't a bad place to go next after IV.

Zweizer

Banned
Indeed you do.

SGWIkwU.png

You're welcome to share your impressions in the Manga Community thread~

Lilo_D

Get stuck at 16F, Can't get into the center area of this floor, can't get away from those birds FOE. Any tips ? : (

omlet

Get stuck at 16F, Can't get into the center area of this floor, can't get away from those birds FOE. Any tips ? : (

You can't get to the center of this floor until you get to floor 20.

Bird FOEs are simple. They will follow you once they see you and you can lead them to a different nest then get around where they previously were.

They're also really easy to kill if you bring some Blast Grenades because they love to just spam charged attacks which you can easily cancel.

omlet

Finished my EOU2 expert story mode run this weekend... everything except Ur-child, that is. I'm sure it's possible to beat him on expert with the story party, but want to tackle him in classic mode with some different party/grimiore flexibility. I never got any high rank Double Action, Fantasia, or Prelude grimiore to show up for trade in my entire playtime of 133 hours and I think I'll need that kind of stuff, so I guess I'll have to make them myself.

Now I'm on a classic mode NG+ and I gotta say, it took them 4 games but I feel like they finally, finally got Ronin right. Stances triggering from attacks and not taking up a buff slot... finally. Leveling a princess/ronin/highlander|gunner/hexer party right now.

Has anyone experimented with the Hexer's new skill to suicide your own party members? Seems like it could work well with a War Magus' war revive.

I also want to try out a palm alchemist lol... I really like the idea, though I suspect by endgame it's not optimal when you could be using Compression with high rank dragon breath grimoires for major burst damage.

Hey guys,

I'm playing Persona Q at the moment and I love it - even if it's a little weak on the story side, the combat and maze exploration is awesome (I really enjoy the puzzles). Chances are that I like EO2 FK right ? Are there the same or equivalent mechanics between the two games ?
Thanks.

omlet

Hey guys,

I'm playing Persona Q at the moment and I love it - even if it's a little weak on the story side, the combat and maze exploration is awesome (I really enjoy the puzzles). Chances are that I like EO2 FK right ? Are there the same or equivalent mechanics between the two games ?
Thanks.

If you are enjoying the non-Persona elements of PQ (the dungeon style [mechanics/layouts, not aesthetics], the battle style, the exploration element, etc.) then you will probably enjoy the EO games. Swing on by the EO community thread for more info, too. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929794

Also, checking this thread again made me realize I missed out on pretty much all the free DLC other than the launch stuff. Oh well.

Anteo

Hey guys,

Thanks.

Yeah, besides the main persona/secondary persona the others sistems are mostly the same. The Str/Agi/Int binds are the same as the Arm/Legs/Head binds, the status effect are usefull in either game.

I don't if this OT is still active but just a question... What game is good for a starting point?

I played Persona before and a little bit of Persona Q before I just randomly stopped playing and would like to get into the Etrian Odyssey games... Is this a good starting point? Or the first remake? Thanks!

preta

I don't if this OT is still active but just a question... What game is good for a starting point?

I played Persona before and a little bit of Persona Q before I just randomly stopped playing and would like to get into the Etrian Odyssey games... Is this a good starting point? Or the first remake? Thanks!

I'd recommend EO4. It's the easiest game in the series (though still challenging), and you won't miss the quality of life improvements that the Untold games bring if you play it first. Plus, I feel that its subclassing system is much better than the Grimoire skill systems in the Untold games.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

You should check out the community thread as its still fairly active.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929794

I'd recommend EO4. It's the easiest game in the series (though still challenging), and you won't miss the quality of life improvements that the Untold games bring if you play it first. Plus, I feel that its subclassing system is much better than the Grimoire skill systems in the Untold games.

You should check out the community thread as its still fairly active.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929794

thanks guys! I'll check out EO4 and I asked in the community thread so i'll see where to begin :)

Top Bottom