• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold:The Fafnir Knight |OT| What a horrible Knight to have a curse

slayn

needs to show more effort.
First dragon down. That only took like... 30 attempts. At least there is kind of snowball effect where killing each one makes your party substantially more powerful.

Hyoukokun

Are any of the cheater DLC super worth the $2? The rare item or Grimoire ones sound really tempting, if any of them do.

I'm not sure of the exact cadence, but it seems like the game does occasionally spawn more of the 'cheat' FOEs. I know I've run into at least 2 each of the first two. Can anyone confirm whether or not they'll show up for a third/fourth/nth time?

The materials gathering tea is helpful for 'gather X rare items' quests and generally making a whole bunch of money, but I haven't felt terribly hamstrung by my lack of a constant supply of it.

What are "cheat" FOEs?

I know there are gold ones, I took down a gold bat from the first area and it was a full level up for my entire party.

Hyoukokun

What are "cheat" FOEs?

I know there are gold ones, I took down a gold bat from the first area and it was a full level up for my entire party.

We're calling them 'cheats' because they unbalance the game if you abuse them, but there are Yggdrasil Bud FOEs that show up on the map with yellow icons. Defeating them (which takes one hit) gives you ingredients for super-powered one-time-use recipes.

Normally that's balanced out by them being very rare / limited in supply. I believe the DLC gives you a repeatable quest so you can go harvest them over and over again, hence the 'cheating' / pay-to-win.

The gold-tinted FOE that you fought is a rare breed FOE. Just like other rare breed enemies, they're tougher but give you boosts to XP and lots of grimoire chances.

Anteo

We're calling them 'cheats' because they unbalance the game if you abuse them, but there are Yggdrasil Bud FOEs that show up on the map with yellow icons. Defeating them (which takes one hit) gives you ingredients for super-powered one-time-use recipes.

Normally that's balanced out by them being very rare / limited in supply. I believe the DLC gives you a repeatable quest so you can go harvest them over and over again, hence the 'cheating' / pay-to-win.

The gold-tinted FOE that you fought is a rare breed FOE. Just like other rare breed enemies, they're tougher but give you boosts to XP and lots of grimoire chances.

The grimoire dlc quest actually gives you one gold foe that drops like 30 of its rare drop. lol

Hyoukokun

The grimoire dlc quest actually gives you one gold foe that drops like 30 of its rare drop. lol

Oof. Yeah, I wouldn't feel right doing that.

Just got to the Stratum 3 mid-boss
Guild Esbat
and got sucker-punched by
Wilhelm's force break, which I should have predicted; I previously negated Artelind's attack with Bertrand's force break. Going to have to give that another go, but this time I'll be ready to pull out all the defensive stops when I get to that stage.

KarmaCow

Just got to the Stratum 3 mid-boss
Guild Esbat
and got sucker-punched by
Wilhelm's force break, which I should have predicted; I previously negated Artelind's attack with Bertrand's force break. Going to have to give that another go, but this time I'll be ready to pull out all the defensive stops when I get to that stage.

I'm pretty sure you can at least delay his Force Break by binding his arms. That might be harder to time since you're running story mode though.

Anteo

Ehh, its more of a "save time" thing, I was farming some grimoire cause I needed some shield ones for my front line alch, and I was like "well I could do this super fast with the dlc" so I just went ahead and bought it. The money run is great too, its the same as around 6 farm runs to the stratum, so it saves a ton of time

Hyoukokun

I'm pretty sure you can at least delay his Force Break by binding his arms. That might be harder to time since you're running story mode though.

I managed to survive with just the MC at 1hp left, thanks to his Fafner transformation.
I figured that multiple attack debuffs on Wilhelm plus defense buffs buffs on all my party members, plus all of them defending, plus Bertrand using Sentinel Guard at level 4, would do the trick. Nope. You're clearly either meant to counter that attack with a Force Break or just straight-up kill Wilhelm before he pulls it off. Kind of feels unfair, since Artelind has a similar kill-em-all attack for her own force break.

Onwards and upwards, then. I know that
Scylla
won't be a picnic either, but having a Sovereign on the team should help a lot.

ed:
Scylla
is not a picnic. Quelle surprise! I may need to go back and level a bit as the rest of my team has fallen 2 levels behind the MC.

tuffy

The third stratum mid-bosses don't mess around. I can bring down one without too much trouble, get the other to about half health, then get wiped by the other in one big attack. My inability to get Dark Hunter binds to land is probably a sign I'm a little too low-leveled for this fight, so I might have to polish off some bar quests and come back to it later.

The third stratum mid-bosses don't mess around. I can bring down one without too much trouble, get the other to about half health, then get wiped by the other in one big attack. My inability to get Dark Hunter binds to land is probably a sign I'm a little too low-leveled for this fight, so I might have to polish off some bar quests and come back to it later.

My fight against them when pretty smoothly. Mind you, my Burst Shot gunner took one out, and I triple bind the other 1 turn into the force boost. Double Action also activated Ecstasy twice, and i had Trance on. Needless to say, I absolutely nuked that mid boss. I was level 34 when I fought them (Classic, Hi/So/DH G/H), though I not sure if that is overleveld or not. Currently getting my crap pushed in by the actual boss at 36 thanks to no real damage mitigation. Try 2 I'll use Guard Order level 18 and hope that does better than level 9.

baconcow

Ordered a copy of Untold 2. Probably won't arrive until the end of this week. What's the essential DLC, so far? Definitely want to add the highlander class.

Nachos

Ordered a copy of Untold 2. Probably won't arrive until the end of this week. What's the essential DLC, so far? Definitely want to add the highlander class.
Basically all of the DLC that was free at any point, the eldritch hound, and the treasures Untold downloadables.

Hyoukokun

I'd say grab what you can of the free DLC, plus the highlander class. There's a bunch of extra boss fights - up to you whether you want to grab them but most won't be available until much later in the campaign. Similarly, I don't think the Yggdrasil bud DLC is relevant until you at least hit the second stratum. It gives a big boost but kind of felt counter to the spirit of the game to me.

If you want to get a head start on playing, you can grab the demo; it has the first several hours of content and the save will carry over to the regular game.

Unrelated tip: recently discovered that saving to the extra SD-card based slots is far, far faster than saving to the default on-cart slot. So if you haven't been making use of those extra save slots, consider it!

syncyes

I got really lucky with the third stratum mid-boss--I needed a turn to heal so I used Bertrand's Force Break right on the turn when
Artelinde used her suicide attack (Wilhelm was already dead)
without knowing it was going to happen and managed to take them down on the first try.

Third stratum boss, meanwhile, took 3 tries. I had it with only a pixel of health left on my first and second try but
I got leg binded by the tentacles into insta Cry Soul death.

spiritfox

Never really had a problem with the 3rd stratum bosses. Only took a first try to figure out their moves, then killed them the second time. Compared to EO2, Scylla's a joke.

spiritfox

what if the skill level + stone skill level > 10, how it works?

Skills go all the way to lvl 20. You can see the increase by pressing the arrows at the bottom screen. Most of the time it's better to improve active skills rather than masteries/stat ups, since the latter only increases every 2 levels after lvl 10.

Hyoukokun

what if the skill level + stone skill level > 10, how it works?

Generally, you keep getting additional benefits... and the TP cost keeps going up. They reflect this on the skill screen for the grimoire stone; if it's adding to an existing skill you'll see the level noted as [Skill level] + [Grimoire stone level] on the top of the screen. Not sure how it works for some skills like Prevent Order and the Protector's elemental wall series where putting more points in just makes the skill cheaper.

Where the heck are the mushroom ingredients in the 5th stratum??
I've been gathering and grinding monsters looking for it so much that I have 99 of every ingredient and still haven't seen the damn mushrooms.
Where are they?

Lilo_D

Wow thank you for the replys
I found myself didn't pay much attention to the stone system even I've reached lv 30

ohlawd

if anyone needs convincing for the money DLC, you get 500k when you have access to all stratums. 200k when you're missing one.

Where the heck are the mushroom ingredients in the 5th stratum??
I've been gathering and grinding monsters looking for it so much that I have 99 of every ingredient and still haven't seen the damn mushrooms.
Where are they?

gotta chop for those mushrooms

Hyoukokun

Beat the third stratum boss last night, but (in Story Mode) they won't let me progress and take a sneak peak at the fourth stratum. I just want to listen to the new Cherry Tree Bridge remix, guys!

tuffy

My fight against them when pretty smoothly. Mind you, my Burst Shot gunner took one out, and I triple bind the other 1 turn into the force boost. Double Action also activated Ecstasy twice, and i had Trance on. Needless to say, I absolutely nuked that mid boss. I was level 34 when I fought them (Classic, Hi/So/DH G/H), though I not sure if that is overleveld or not. Currently getting my crap pushed in by the actual boss at 36 thanks to no real damage mitigation. Try 2 I'll use Guard Order level 18 and hope that does better than level 9.
I'm at level 36, so I suspected my levels weren't the problem after all. Turns out I just wasn't paying enough attention to when their team wiping move comes out after they charge up. But once I got my Protector's Force shield up at the right time, finishing up the fight was easier than I thought.

So I've made it to 6th Stratum boss
Ur-Child
. I never made it this far in EO2 so I'm not sure what I'm up against. Anyone have any tips? Using the Story Mode party, levels 85-86.

Just reached the fifth stratum. I've got a question about the quest settling the bet
I know in the original version there were false ending points that would net a worse reward. Is that still the case here?

spiritfox

Just reached the fifth stratum. I've got a question about the quest settling the bet
I know in the original version there were false ending points that would net a worse reward. Is that still the case here?

Doesn't look like it. There was only one that I found.

The first body I found was the correct one! I don't think there's a false one now.

ChrisD

My Ronin just auto-killed a freaking Raptor (who had at least another three rounds to live) with Issen.

The amount of YES when I read the text can't be typed. I had so many Grimoire chances in the battle and didnt want to lose them!

spiritfox

Uh, that was easy. I had a harder time with Juggernaut.

Edit:
So I killed the Overlord. He just kneeled over and took it I guess. Other than the disappointingly easy final boss (was I overleveled at 60?), this is a pretty good remake of the game that really needed one. EO2 was perhaps my 2nd favorite game of the series, hampered only by it's grind (29 retires to reach 99??). EO2U took out all the poor choices, and put in a whole assortment of QoL and mechanics did not suck. They even refined the shitty grimoire system from EOU to something that's more friendly to use. The restaurant is a stroke of genius, and I had so much fun solving the recipes and seeing all the food. The dungeons are nicely done, though I did not really like the 5th's gimmick, which was too easy to screw up and get stuck. Petal Bridge is still the best stratum ever after EO1's 5th. Most of all, however, I love how Classic is handled this time round. Sovereigns and Highlanders are cool additions to the roster, and they get pretty much all the good stuff from story mode, Fafnir aside.

I think this might become my favorite game in the series.

KarmaCow

The Overlord fight is odd.
I don't remember the OG fight but I spent so long trying to puzzle out the fight, trying to trigger its phases at ideal times when the real solution was just to blitz it. I was getting wrecked at level 59 but at the same time I just destroyed it with a little bit of luck at a couple attempts later.

And yea this does seem like the best game of the series, from UI to battle mechanics to dungeon design. I still think Grimoire stones are pretty unwieldy, going through 300+ stones when to trying to experiment with different builds or after resting is still a chore not to mention trying to acquire them in the first place. They're better this time around but I hope this little experiment is over. Bring back subclassing and maybe a more traditional Blue Mage or Beastmaster type class to fill in the gap for monster skills in the next game.

slayn

Untold 2 is definitely up there. Maybe my 2nd place.

EO4 is still my favorite because
1. I loved the overworld. Exploring to find secrets and hidden optional dungeons was really rewarding. And I loved the 3 dimensionality of it.
2. grimoire stones suck. They suck less than untold 1, I guess, but subclassing is magnitudes better
3. I just personally favor the classes in EO4 (Imperial and Dancer being my favorite classes that haven't ever shown up again)

class complexity wise, EO4 is still the only one to make me re-organize my party constantly in battle which added another layer that I was really fond of.

ohlawd

grimoire stones do definitely suck. bring back subclassing already. I don't care that EO2U has improved stones considerably but there's still a luck factor. subclassing doesn't need luck.

if EOV has grimoire stones, I'm gone

ChrisD

I like the Grimoire system. :( It makes every battle like opening a pack of cards. Sure, it's annoying if you want one specific stone, but I'm not really that serious about it. To me, getting a great stone is like pulling a holofoil. You always want it, but you don't expect it every time. Or at all. And the godlike stones that fit exactly what you want? Oh man, that's an ultra rare, right there.

I never played Untold 1, so maybe not having a soured experience with its first implementation helps.

Just Getting back into EO after a two-year hiatus (skipped EOU1) with this. Tried the story mode for an hour and switched back to classic - not having a true Troubadour was painful. I appreciate all of the map modernization vs. the DS version and and the Grimoire system is pretty intuitive. Negatives: the remixed music is awful and it still takes forever to save. Also: did they have to cram every new feature into the Cafe? Would have rather seen a few new locations on the main menu :\

BI0_fCcCAAEB_hP.jpg

It's going to take a lot to top EO4 in my mind, though. That game had me in its deathgrip for what I'm guessing was over 150 hours.

grimoire stones do definitely suck. bring back subclassing already. I don't care that EO2U has improved stones considerably but there's still a luck factor. subclassing doesn't need luck.

if EOV has grimoire stones, I'm gone

Now I want EOV to have grimoire stones more than ever.

Yeah they suck, but at least it's not as bad as in Untold.

I should be wrapping this up tonight.
Just gotta complete mapping a a couple rooms on 29f and 30f, take out Ur-Child, then scout out the last 5 monsters I need to complete my Bestiary.

All that's left after that is completing the Item Index and beating the game in Classic but that won't happen until my next playthrough and that's a ways away.

I think we will have a mix of both(subclassing and grimoires) in some way, so get ready for that.

Your subclass and how much you can invest into it is set by grimoires that you have to level up by giving exp. Charatcers only drop their own class's grimoire, and may drop bonus skill points towards one of their skills which can go over the normal subclass skill level limit.

The worst part is a system like this isn't totally out of the question. Honestly though, if they were going to do subclass with grimoire they would probably try it in EO3U instead of EOV. I would guess a new system is going to come up for EOV though.

spiritfox

I Blue Mage style system or class would be an interesting adaptation of grimoires. I still prefer subclassing since your party build is not reliant on getting lucky with drops.

slayn

is there a gimmick I completely missed for the final 30f boss? On expert he seems insane. All the other optional bosses were trivial compared to this which makes me think I'm not understanding something about the fight.

Picked this up against my better judgement the other day, and to my surprise, I'm actually pretty hooked. I'm playing on Classic Expert and just finished the first stratum last night (farther than I've gotten in any of my other EO games, barring PQ if that counts). I think I'm enjoying myself so much because the class and portrait selection is significantly more tailored to my own preferences this time around (sovereign and gunner are way too cool).

Top Bottom