• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold:The Fafnir Knight |OT| What a horrible Knight to have a curse

Hyoukokun

Negatives: the remixed music is awful and it still takes forever to save.
You may already know this, but you can switch the music to original-style FM synth under the options menu (5th page, BGM Style -> Old). You can also switch to saving on the SD card by saving to slots 2+, which is way faster than saving to cartridge.

ed: also. Holy crap. 5 pages of options in a handheld title. I've played plenty of PC games that were less customizable.

Verilligo

is there a gimmick I completely missed for the final 30f boss? On expert he seems insane. All the other optional bosses were trivial compared to this which makes me think I'm not understanding something about the fight.

If memory serves, everyone has complaints about Ur. The standard story party doesn't really have sufficient DPS for handling him. Probably the simplest ways of handling him is Point Blank Burst Shot or Elemental Jar Alchemist, both with 2x stacked circles. I think most setups require about 2 turns of prep before laying waste on the third.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
If memory serves, everyone has complaints about Ur. The standard story party doesn't really have sufficient DPS for handling him. Probably the simplest ways of handling him is Point Blank Burst Shot or Elemental Jar Alchemist, both with 2x stacked circles. I think most setups require about 2 turns of prep before laying waste on the third.
Yeah I've stuck with the story party. Every other boss on expert has been totally fine but Ur just feels unfair.

spiritfox

I'm really bad at figuring out the FOE puzzles in the fifth stratum, holy shit. Tempted to just brute force it >_>

The FOE puzzles suck. Too easy to get stuck with no way to reset unless you abuse Return Flutes or Floor Jumps. And bombs are the worst. I miss the conveyor belts from the original.

Just beat Ur-Child. Could not figure a way to do it with the standard Story Mode Party so just had to go for that 3-turn kill strat.
Also, you have to beat Ur on Expert to get the guild card stamp.

spiritfox

Just messing around with the story party in Picnic, man why is it so easy. I can pretty much autobattle everything, including FOEs.

Rutger

Banned
Just messing around with the story party in Picnic, man why is it so easy. I can pretty much autobattle everything, including FOEs.

They wanted a way to simulate the original EOII difficulty now that revenge doesn't exist!

I don't really have a problem with it. While I like to stick with expert, switching to picnic to make some grinding far less tedious is nice. It's always good to have more options available.

spiritfox

Oh boy Ginunngagap B5.

Oh hai there Yggdrasil Core. Ugh, my Hexer is not very useful here, and I can't burst it down before it regenerates all it's parts. I think that's the problem with a party too focused on single target killing. Any tips? Is it weak to any particular element?

Nevermind, killed it dead. More interesting final boss than Overlord.
And no silly anime power boost this time round (in Classic that is).

robotnik

Just got the game and I missed whole bunch of DLC even buying it day 1.
My question is what DLC essential and unlock new maps? Also is highlander class worth to purchase, if I plan to play only story mode?

spiritfox

Just got the game and I missed whole bunch of DLC even buying it day 1.
My question is what DLC essential and unlock new maps? Also is highlander class worth to purchase, if I plan to play only story mode?

You can't use Highlander in story so nope. The Hot Springs DLC gives additional portraits in story if you want that.

robotnik

You can't use Highlander in story so nope. The Hot Springs DLC gives additional portraits in story if you want that.
Strange...
http://gematsu.com/2015/06/etrian-odyssey-2-untold-dlc-schedule-announced
Highlander Grimoire stones and the class is available in Story mode as well

Hidden Hot Springs! and Thunder Queen’s Legacy both added on to floor maps.
I've only got the free DLC and Wanted: Lucky Bud so I don't know if The Eldritch Hound does or not.
Thanks!

spiritfox

Ah, I meant you can't create a new Highlander, but you can class change to it or get their grimoires. If you think you can use their skills then feel free to buy it. Classic allows you to get the full potential of that DLC though.

robotnik

Ah, I meant you can't create a new Highlander, but you can class change to it or get their grimoires. If you think you can use their skills then feel free to buy it. Classic allows you to get the full potential of that DLC though.
Okay, thanks for clarification. I tnink I'll skip this one.

Beat 5th stratum boss last night after tons of difficulty, and now I'm facing the final (I assume) Ginnungagap boss. I've tried once and failed, but I usually expect to fail at least once on the bosses to start learning their patterns

You may already know this, but you can switch the music to original-style FM synth under the options menu (5th page, BGM Style -> Old). You can also switch to saving on the SD card by saving to slots 2+, which is way faster than saving to cartridge.

Knew about the music, but certainly didn't know that Slot1 was on cart and the others were all SD. Thanks!

Cleared the first floor of G'gap and on 8F in the main stratum. Grimoire Trade is now open and so far has returned two good trades for a bunch of L1/L2 garbage.

And I can not wait to get to the higher floors for that sweet battle theme.

Hyoukokun

Made it to the 4th stratum last night. Got to hear Cherry Tree Bridge. I can die happy. (actually, though, I like the piano-and-strings version from the arrange album better).

Getting there was a nail-biter.
I took floors 3 and 4 of Ginnungagap straight through, and burnt most of my good items on a completely unnecessary fight with one of the wall FOEs. Floor 4 was easy by comparison - the pumpkin FOEs were simple to dodge - at least until I got to Demi-Fafnir. Not that hard of a boss fight all told, but I only won it by the skin of my teeth due to lack of items / healing. I think I could have returned to the town and healed / stocked up via geomagnetic pole, but it didn't feel right given the narrative :)

Nachos

I got real sick of goopeygap's nonsense on the 3F in classic mode:
They don't warn you that it's a gauntlet floor at all, so I assumed the challenge wouldn't be that hard. One wall and a Dr. Shrunk later, and it wasn't necessarily hard, but I ran out of most of my resources. Got it on the second try, but I was a bit miffed, since apparently you do get warned in story mode.

Hyoukokun

Oof. Yeah, in story mode,
you get warned very explicitly before heading down to 3F that there's no escape except completing the level. I'd be peeved if they sprang that on me without warning!

To that end... for those playing Classic Mode who have yet to reach B3F Ginnungagap, you may wish to check this spoiler:
B3F is a gauntlet that does not allow you to return to town via stairs or Ariadne Threads. The game apparently will not warn you that this is the case in Classic Mode, so be sure to stock up and prepare yourself beforehand.

Nachos

you get warned very explicitly before heading down to 3F that there's no escape except completing the level. I'd be peeved if they sprang that on me without warning!

To that end... for those playing Classic Mode who have yet to reach B3F Ginnungagap, you may wish to check this spoiler:
B3F is a gauntlet that does not allow you to return to town via stairs or Ariadne Threads. The game apparently will not warn you that this is the case in Classic Mode, so be sure to stock up and prepare yourself beforehand.
Yeah, the series of events, starting from the final room on 2F is
that you examine the Fafnir teleporter; you get warped to 3F; a voice explicitly tells you that you aren't the chosen ones, but that it'll test you anyway because it's tired of waiting so long; and that's it. The return flutes do come in handy, but had I been properly prepared (and had the wall not been such a pain, despite it having a blue halo on the map), I don't think I'd need to use any of them. Not sure how Atlus made that oversight.

kagamin

Oh dear at the latter, I'll have to remember that one...

Rutger

Banned
6th Stratum:

OMG no radar rooms. The worst thing from EO3 is back.

YES!

I've been waiting for their return for a long time. I can't wait until I get there, should make the 6th stratum a lot more interesting than it was in the original.

Hyoukokun

6th Stratum:

OMG no radar rooms. The worst thing from EO3 is back.

Does it also have
the spots in the no-radar rooms that twirl you around a random number of times? I eventually got really good at keeping track of my heading without the radar because of those.

spiritfox

Does it also have
the spots in the no-radar rooms that twirl you around a random number of times? I eventually got really good at keeping track of my heading without the radar because of those.

Not sure, haven't gotten that far in yet. I hope not. That was the worst floor ever, worst than B27 in EO1.

YES!

I've been waiting for their return for a long time. I can't wait until I get there, should make the 6th stratum a lot more interesting than it was in the original.

You can kill the (pretty easy) FOE in the room to get rid of the mist, so it isn't as bad. Still a pain to trap it since it runs from you.

Rutger

Banned
Does it also have

The trick with those was that
they'd always turn you a certain number of times depending on which you step on, just count and then leave a note!

You can kill the (pretty easy) FOE in the room to get rid of the mist, so it isn't as bad. Still a pain to trap it since it runs from you.

Ah, interesting. I'm looking forward to it.

spiritfox

Man screw the Storm Emperor. Had to rest my WM just to get Barrier up to 10, and spent the entire battle spamming that. Also, my hexer was kinda useless the entire fight. I almost feel like switching her out...

tuffy

Since I felt like my Medic was sitting around doing not much a lot of the time, I decided to swap in a Princess instead. I figured I'd use Protect Order for in-battle healing, Triumphant Cry/Monarch March for between-battle healing, and the Medic Grimoires I'd accumulated for Unbinds, Revives, etc.

I thought about using Alter Class for the swap, but then I'd have a Princess who looks like a Medic, and that'd be weird. So I decided to Retire instead and gain a few extra skill points in the process. But I didn't want a big level difference between one character and the rest, so I decided to retire my whole team and grind them back up again.

It's working out well in practice, though. Feels like Princess has a bit more synergy with my elemental Gunner and Protector which is nice.

tuffy

How dlc works? I want to download the hot spring one
You can download the DLC from the main menu and most of them are available in the game as bar quests which can be taken and completed repeatedly. The hot springs one is one of those.

KarmaCow

Is the Storm Emperor easier than the Blizzard King? I decide to try the Blizzard King first to raise my level cap because my team is already specced for lightning damage and I had the Ice Wall but it's absolutely wrecking my team (R/D/Sov/G/W). I don't have a reliable way to DPS it down while also keeping people alive since I need to land a bind and pretty much every turn it one shots someone. I don't want to spend time trying to get a 5+ Volt Wall if it's pretty much the same thing.

I just beat the game (on story mode) and it just
faded to white after I killed the Final Boss and then abruptly jumped to the credits????
Did I skip a cutscene or something?

spiritfox

Is the Storm Emperor easier than the Blizzard King? I decide to try the Blizzard King first to raise my level cap because my team is already specced for lightning damage and I had the Ice Wall but it's absolutely wrecking my team (R/D/Sov/G/W). I don't have a reliable way to DPS it down while also keeping people alive since I need to land a bind and pretty much every turn it one shots someone. I don't want to spend time trying to get a 5+ Volt Wall if it's pretty much the same thing.

Storm Emperor is more focused on ailments and binds, so if you're not prepared for that, he might be more troublesome.

slayn

In my opinion the ice dragon is the easiest and the fire dragon is the hardest. Blizzard king as the most 'down' turns where if you can anticipate things like his mirror and regeneration you get a lot more turns where he isn't doing damage to you. Don't forget to buy elemental mists when fighting the dragons. Throwing out an ice mist means you can probably ignore the heart.

The fire dragon is the hardest by a lot. He hits the hardest and seems to have significantly more health.

KarmaCow

In my opinion the ice dragon is the easiest and the fire dragon is the hardest. Blizzard king as the most 'down' turns where if you can anticipate things like his mirror and regeneration you get a lot more turns where he isn't doing damage to you. Don't forget to buy elemental mists when fighting the dragons. Throwing out an ice mist means you can probably ignore the heart.

The fire dragon is the hardest by a lot. He hits the hardest and seems to have significantly more health.

I dunno but I just can't do enough damage while also keeping my party members alive. I get that if it Wails, it will do Ice Breath next turn. If the heart is up, then it mirror sheilds but outside that the other stuff just wrecks me. Crushing Arm is guaranteed to kill at least one person, more if everyone doesn't max health. If Triple Bite hits twice on a person, they're also dead. It's all I can do keep everyone alive much less deal damage.

The elemental attacks or ailments themselves aren't the problem, it's the physical attacks still one shotting party members with the Max HP food buff. Ice Mist doesn't seem to do much to mitigate the Blue Heart end round party wide attack anyway but I can usually kill the heart before it's too much of an issue, even if it means losing all that DPS on the dragon itself. I'm already having to sacrifice so many turns to counter wail, both in terms of the ailment and the defense down. Using sleep resist rings kills too much of defense as well. The fact that it's doing so much damage makes thing I'm missing something but I don't know how else to reliable boost my defense or lower its damage.

slayn

I dunno but I just can't do enough damage while also keeping my party members alive. I get that if it Wails, it will do Ice Breath next turn. If the heart is up, then it mirror sheilds but outside that the other stuff just wrecks me. Crushing Arm is guaranteed to kill at least one person, more if everyone doesn't max health. If Triple Bite hits twice on a person, they're also dead. It's all I can do keep everyone alive much less deal damage.

The elemental attacks or ailments themselves aren't the problem, it's the physical attacks still one shotting party members with the Max HP food buff. Ice Mist doesn't seem to do much to mitigate the Blue Heart end round party wide attack anyway but I can usually kill the heart before it's too much of an issue, even if it means losing all that DPS on the dragon itself. I'm already having to sacrifice so many turns to counter wail, both in terms of the ailment and the defense down. Using sleep resist rings kills too much of defense as well. The fact that it's doing so much damage makes thing I'm missing something but I don't know how else to reliable boost my defense or lower its damage.
I'm surprised by how much physical damage you're taking. My protector used L5 Ice wall against the breath and otherwise used L10 Front Guard every turn and the physical attacks were never even close to a concern for me. Are you at level 70 with the good/best armor you can buy?

edit: oh, I see you don't have a protector. Just an ice wall grimoire? Maybe try getting a front guard grimoire as well? My front line was pretty squishy and with front guard the physical attacks were not even a concern.

Also I think the food that gives +5 to all stats is way, WAY better than anything else.

And the last thing I can think of to suggest is that I had a L10 Battle Instinct grimoire that blocks the initial sleep automatically.

spiritfox

This everyone done playing this? So quiet.

Anyway, Blizzard King is the worst, but it's finally dead. I thought this run would end badly when he Wailed on turn 4 instead of doing a normal attack, but luckily my Protector managed to stay awake to block the next few turns. I ended up doing less damage in the beginning due to that, but I think that saved my ass from not being able to handle the core's damage. I didn't even use my Ice Mists that I bought.

Also, my Hexer redeemed herself this fight, so I guess she stays.

Looking forward to tomorrow's dlc.

This everyone done playing this? So quiet.
Nah, just running through NG+ Expert Classic now. Turns out my party has no proper defensive answer's to the Overlord's attacks so I've got some grimoire-ing to do.

The dragons overall seem a lot more annoying in this game than I remember them being in previous games. They definitely require someone being on constant Elemental Wall duty.

Edit: Nevermind, somehow forgot to abuse Force Breaks. Party out damaged overlord.

tuffy

I've discovered that swapping out a Medic for a Princess works well in practice. I don't have as much instant healing as a Medic, but firing off the regeneration order for 4 turns out to be plenty and allows me to add helpful elemental chasers or party buffs while that's chugging away in the background.

I might swap out my Gunner for an Alchemist later for stronger elemental damage, though I do like the Gunner's stunning force break to lock bosses down for a turn.

Anyway, all this messing around with party builds and doing all the bar quests as they come up is why I'm still only at the 4th stratum.

spiritfox

I've discovered that swapping out a Medic for a Princess works well in practice. I don't have as much instant healing as a Medic, but firing off the regeneration order for 4 turns out to be plenty and allows me to add helpful elemental chasers or party buffs while that's chugging away in the background.

I might swap out my Gunner for an Alchemist later for stronger elemental damage, though I do like the Gunner's stunning force break to lock bosses down for a turn.

Anyway, all this messing around with party builds and doing all the bar quests as they come up is why I'm still only at the 4th stratum.

Are you using Burst Shot? Paired with Double Action and a charge skill makes it one of the best burst elemental skill around. Not sure if it beats Compression Alc on DPT though.

I finally figured it out, but I can't seem to beat them. lol I'm level 25 with the Story party.

I'll say arm bind is the best bet, but since you're on story, it's weak to blind so try that.

Oh and pure elemental attacks like the sabres don't activate its spin.

tuffy

Are you using Burst Shot? Paired with Double Action and a charge skill makes it one of the best burst elemental skill around. Not sure if it beats Compression Alc on DPT though.
Already maxed Double Action, and Burst Shot is a work-in-progress. With a Protector, Highlander and Dark Hunter up front, I need Link Order II from the Princess for party-wide elemental damage. But most of the time I only need that for random encounters anyway where it's been more than enough, so I may just stick with my Gunner after all.

I should just buckle down and finish up the main story and leave the party rebuilds for postgame or New Game+. But it's going to be awhile until EO V so I might as well take my time with this one.

Top Bottom