• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold:The Fafnir Knight |OT| What a horrible Knight to have a curse

omlet

I just finished the quest where I'm running all over town with the innkeeper's young daughter.

I went to turn it in and the first thing he says when I walk in the bar is "Take a seat."

(゚Д゚≡゚Д゚)

Althane

I really need to finish EOU1 to start this. T_T

But I did download it. :D

So, I do recall hearing somewhere that they weren't looking at remaking EO3. Does anyone know anything about that?

NichM

Banned
So, I do recall hearing somewhere that they weren't looking at remaking EO3. Does anyone know anything about that?

I haven't heard that anywhere. But if it's true, it would kind of make sense: EO3 already had much more of a story focus than the first two games (more NPC presence, multiple paths and endings) and it already had subclassing, meaning there wouldn't be anywhere to take the Grimoire Stone system introduced in Untold and refined in 2 Untold. I feel like the reason the Untold games exist is to take those first two games up to 3's level.

Not that I'd mind a 3 Untold, but it doesn't seem that necessary.

I haven't heard that anywhere. But if it's true, it would kind of make sense: EO3 already had much more of a story focus than the first two games (more NPC presence, multiple paths and endings) and it already had subclassing, meaning there wouldn't be anywhere to take the Grimoire Stone system introduced in Untold and refined in 2 Untold. I feel like the reason the Untold games exist is to take those first two games up to 3's level.

EO3 is the best EO game, but man, just thinking of a more balanced EO3 with a new OST, fucking kill Grimoire Stones or whatever, but GIVE IT TO MEEEE.

Or give us EO5, that's fine too.

Zweizer

Banned

First time I've heard of this.

Although there's no official word yet as far as I know, there's been a lot of hints and speculations. The biggest would be in the artbook for Untold 1 & 2,
where Olympia discovers a washed-up Fafnir
. The artist said it was a bit of fanfic tease though, so it's nothing official.

At the very least, it seems unlikely that an Untold 3 would be developed for the 3ds, considering that EO3 isn't too far behind from the newer games.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Man they really inflated the prices of high end equipment. I got the conditional drop from the first stratum boss and the bow now costs something like 450k. Didn't that shit used to be like 100k in EO2?

Late game stuff better give a ton of money. I'll be really disappointed if this is supposed to incentivize dlc money accelerators ._.

I doubt it's for dlc. This game added in the cooking and town stuff which brings new money.

Weebos

Banned
Untold 3 + Imperial as the Gunner/Princess analogue would be amazing.

Not sure what the Highlander/Fafnir analogue would be though, maybe a
fish person
? That might be too weird to have from the beginning. If they brought the Imperial over they might want to make the new class a back row unit.

Zweizer

Banned
You can't get a Grimoire Stone out of a skill that belong to a DLC boss if you don't have said DLC, can you?

Found the answer to my question.

Apparently if your Guild Card's lead has anything DLC-related, and the receiver doesn't have said DLC, all the Grimoire skills of the lead show up as question marks. As for the alternate portraits, if you don't have the portraits DLC, they show up as black silhouettes. Makes sense I suppose.

ohlawd

that 2nd stratum boss

ended up dying once because his double gel fire attack caught me off guard. 2nd run was a lot better with me binding his legs to prevent any more crap from him. got him holding on for life but my luck was being shit and I couldn't leg bind anymore and he was gearing up for that dreaded OHKO. then I remembered Trand's Force Break so I thought no sweat he can't do shit to me anymore. cue lapse in judgment and I forget to have Trand enter Force mode before the turn the fucker was about to unleash his fire. I fucked up.

so yeah I fucked up and I had no choice but to have everyone go all in. everything or nothing. Freeze Sabre, one Link Order each from my girls, Ice Round, Trand on his 1st turn Force Fire Wall but it wasn't going to help. brought him down, fuck yeah. took too many turns because I was afraid of running out of TP for Chloe and Flavio. damn dude died twice too what a scrub.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
You'd think that, after finished every EO game yet made, I wouldn't wind up trapped in a corner by FOE's without an ariadne thread but... nope. :(

You'd think that, after finished every EO game yet made, I wouldn't wind up trapped in a corner by FOE's without an ariadne thread but... nope. :(

I've trained myself to buy an Ariadne Thread every time I go back to town, but damnnn if I don't forget every now and then, usually at the beginning of the game when I'm being super cocky.

At least it's not like PQ which freaking TELLS YOU that you haven't bought one before going into a dungeon.

Shizuka

I've trained myself to buy an Ariadne Thread every time I go back to town, but damnnn if I don't forget every now and then, usually at the beginning of the game when I'm being super cocky.

At least it's not like PQ which freaking TELLS YOU that you haven't bought one before going into a dungeon.

I get two, always, every time, just in case that little
cunt
steals one of mine.

ohlawd

I forget I have two of them

what I do is stay on a floor long enough to find some shortcuts, run back to a floor down and floor jump

>_>

ah fuck it, i saw a first run copy of the game in a store today and just grabbed it. I have the first printing of EOIV, Untold, and Mystery Dungeon so I kinda just fucking need to have this one too. Don't wanna risk not finding it later.

Too bad I had my vita instead of my 3ds with me so I couldn't play it on the bus or at work. Itching to get home and fire it up. Is the story mode better than EOU's?

Has anyone else had Quick Save not work for them?

Ran into it midgame, but apparently some people on GameFAQs ran into the same thing.

It's weird since it work right up until the 15th floor for me, but fails evertime when I try suspending now.

Quicksave isn't working on my side as well, physicial copy for me, save transferred from the the demo.

By the way, love the game so far! I started EO4, and loved it as well, but when I played the demo of EOU2, with the cooking and map improvements, I caved in immediately :p

Has anyone else had Quick Save not work for them?

Ran into it midgame, but apparently some people on GameFAQs ran into the same thing.

It's weird since it work right up until the 15th floor for me, but fails evertime when I try suspending now.
Same here. I tried quicksaving once around floor 7 but it failed. Haven't tried since.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just finished the quest where I'm running all over town with the innkeeper's young daughter.

I went to turn it in and the first thing he says when I walk in the bar is "Take a seat."

(゚Д゚≡゚Д゚)

xf1UTc8.png

Am guessing they did that line like that on purpose haha.

TheFatMan

I picked up Millennium Girl being as it was on sale in the e-shop for 15 bucks this week. And I can't wait to finish this game so I can buy it's sequel and IV.

I don't know why I find drawing the maps to be so much fun, but I do.

GeekyDad

I picked up Millennium Girl being as it was on sale in the e-shop for 15 bucks this week. And I can't wait to finish this game so I can buy it's sequel and IV.

I don't know why I find drawing the maps to be so much fun, but I do.

Common among EO fans. Probably the throwback to D&D when we would draw the maps by hand.

omlet

Is the story mode better than EOU's?
I dunno. In a way it's much better because it's not spoiling a significant plot twist right at the start like in EOU1, and the overall cast is better, but EOU1 had Raquna and Frederica so it's not like the cast was bad in EOU1. The inclusion of the War Magus in the story party was smart because EO2 is the only game to feature them so it's good they get some spotlight this way. The story mode party in EOU2 is more flexible than EOU1's was, which is also good.

The excessive amount of (text) dialog compared to EOU1 sometimes annoys me. The extra voicework is nice if you like that kind of thing. Also, I really hate amnesia tropes because they tend to be bad/lazy plot devices and both EOU games, with a hefty helping of amnesia, are no exception. It's worse in EOU2 because it's the main character, not the girl
who was in cryosleep for years and has an up-front obvious excuse
(that's not to say no reason is given for it in EOU2, though, because one is, but I don't have to like it).

tuffy

First stratum boss down in spite of a little stupidity on my part. Missed a pit in the room and forgot to use flash grenades to keep the helper FOEs at bay so the fight was harder than it should've been. My P/Hi/D/G/M feels a little light on offense until some better skills open up (like Ecstacy), but I like the Highlander class and the overhauled Grimoire Stone system.

ohlawd

okay, they fucked up, man. I beat it but the HP on the second Gap boss is way too fucking high

Arianna's voice sounds about how I would expect, but I do really enjoy Chloe's voice. Very cute.

agree on both counts

Arianna sounds great but Chloe is perfection

I'd actually be miffed if we got an EO3 Untold, for your enumerated reasons. At this point it would come off like saturation of the brand, and a distraction from EO5. EO3 is perfect already, leave it be. :)

I got my ear's checked BECAUSE of Arianna's voice. :p

Seriously though, I don't like it. It's not killing me or anything, but I'm not a fan :p

edit:
I'd actually be miffed if we got an EO3 Untold, for your enumerated reasons. At this point it would come off like saturation of the brand, and a distraction from EO5. EO3 is perfect already, leave it be. :)

Wouldn't you like an upgraded experience, with more mapping options, but not touching on the main content at all? Because I think that's what they should do.

Hyoukokun

They've been dropping not-so-subtle hints about EOU3, including references to an ocean labyrinth in one of the Midgard Library scenes. While I don't think the third game is as badly in need of a remake as the first two, I definitely expect it to happen. Atlus likes to get as much mileage as possible out of their assets and engines.

Just beat the first stratum boss
chimaera
in story mode with my team at ~lvl 14. I'm liking the new elements and I hope they'll keep it up - in EOU it felt like they front-loaded a lot of the new stuff to the first stratum and then kept pretty close to the original map designs in the later levels.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Man...Bought a copy of the game and the design book is missing. Hope the store that I bought from can do an exchange. It looked like it was their last copy.

Did anyone else encounter this? The box was properly sealed so I don't think it was tempered.

omlet

Man...Bought a copy of the game and the design book is missing. Hope the store that I bought from can do an exchange. It looked like it was their last copy.

Did anyone else encounter this? The box was properly sealed so I don't think it was tempered.

I first thought something was missing from mine, but the booklet was inside the game case rather than part of the CD case like with the other games, so mine had everything.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I first thought something was missing from mine, but the booklet was inside the game case rather than part of the CD case like with the other games, so mine had everything.

Oooo.. Let me check. I haven't torn off the plastic wrapping for the actual game case yet because I don't want to damage my chance of getting an exchange. Thanks.

Edit: and it's inside lol. Was expecting it to be like the previous ones. Thanks again.

Hyoukokun

I just don't find it fitting her character, and the way she reads her lines is kinda meh compared to the glory of Chloe.

When will Atlus give us Japanese VAs? ;-;

I've heard that it is surprisingly expensive to license Japanese VAs for foreign releases. Not sure if that's still true. Voice work also takes up a decent amount of space, which still matters for portable releases.

A workable solution that I've seen some devs do in the past is offer the Japanese VA as DLC for those who want it. I'd be willing to shill out an extra buck or two for the option myself, but I don't know well this solution worked out for the past titles that tried it.

Arianna's VA is growing on me. The voice that still bugs me a bit is Hanna at the inn; it's not badly done but her voice just doesn't really match the character design.

I've heard that it is surprisingly expensive to license Japanese VAs for foreign releases. Not sure if that's still true. Voice work also takes up a decent amount of space, which still matters for portable releases.

A workable solution that I've seen some devs do in the past is offer the Japanese VA as DLC for those who want it. I'd be willing to shill out an extra buck or two for the option myself, but I don't know well this solution worked out for the past titles that tried it.

Arianna's VA is growing on me. The voice that still bugs me a bit is Hanna at the inn; it's not badly done but her voice just doesn't really match the character design.

IIRC that's still the case, especially when each voice actor has a different agent/company that needs to be worked with. Guessing for games from publishers like NISA that it's easier to get the rights for the Japanese VAs, but then you have the English voice dub suffer because they had to cater to getting the Japanese ones and can't do a full dub.

(TBH if it's a full English dub versus a full Japanese + partial English dub I'd prefer the former. I'd rather understand what they're saying.)

syncyes

About halfway through 8F on story mode. Fafnir is obnoxiously squishy in random encounters. Pondering on reclassing Flavio to Gunner and resting Chloe so she's more offensive oriented.

Top Bottom