• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold:The Fafnir Knight |OT| What a horrible Knight to have a curse

Ephidel

I ordered this, Mystery Dungeon and Record Breaker together. DHL have kindly sliced through MDs box with a box cutter when opening the parcel for customs, torn EOU2 and MD from the polywrap, torn the cardboard boxes to shreds to pull the plastic boxes out, then unceremoniously squashed everything back into the box tearing it more in the process and leaving the CDs lose and the plastic boxes just sort of floating around in there, with the torn cardboard shoved in on top. Record Breaker was the only one to survive intact.
Which is... well I'm pretty pissed off actually.
But I have the game! And downloaded the freebies.
Now I just have to decide whether to start on Story or Classic. I never managed to get through EOU1 on story. I can't decide :(

Ephidel

I don't really know what I can do. I'm borrowing a camera so I can take some photos of the mess they made and send them a snotty message and photos as evidence, but I doubt I'll get very far.
The package hadn't been marked at their full value, presumably because someone thought they were doing me a favour, but it means I can't try and claim the damage has devalued them or anything (and I mean, I would have opened them anyway, I just wouldn't have utterly destroyed them like that. I normally keep my boxes). Luckily the CDs aren't actually scratched, it's just that it's more by luck than judgement.
I'll send a message to the seller as well. It's not their fault, but it's possible they can give them some grief from their end too. I just have to admit I'm not really expecting anything to come of it :|

Edit:
I kind of want to make my own party with Sovereigns and Highlanders in (the female highlanders look awesome!), but at the same time I actually quite like the look of the story party this time. Bertrand and Flavio seem pretty cool.
I guess I'll give them a chance first and see how it goes :)

It's lame that they opened all your stuff and ruined the boxes. I would be mad too!

I bought Kirby Triple Deluxe with EO, so I have two games competing for my attention.

So far I started story mode, but I'm wondering if I want to start a Classic save file. I am tempted to play on the easiest difficulty because I am a pretty casual player...I know I should probably stick with standard though.

Also, the 60 item limit for your inventory is pretty lame. They should at least make items stack. It discourages me from carrying more battle items because then I won't be able to gather as much. :/

Hyoukokun

It's lame that they opened all your stuff and ruined the boxes. I would be mad too!

I bought Kirby Triple Deluxe with EO, so I have two games competing for my attention.

So far I started story mode, but I'm wondering if I want to start a Classic save file. I am tempted to play on the easiest difficulty because I am a pretty casual player...I know I should probably stick with standard though.

Also, the 60 item limit for your inventory is pretty lame. They should at least make items stack. It discourages me from carrying more battle items because then I won't be able to gather as much. :/

I think that 60-item limit is an explicit risk-reward tradeoff that they designed in. You'll notice that items placed in storage *do* stack, so it's not something they did completely arbitrarily. The benefits of some of the recipes (like the tea that gives you gather / materials +++) would break the game's economy even more completely if items stacked.

(Also: be glad this isn't the original EO, where every key item you picked up permanently took up one of your inventory slots. Bleh. At least there weren't many of them.)

Yeah that makes sense! EO games are pretty hardcore. Map-making, dungeon crawling, and the battle system/skill system make it pretty complicated.

There are lots of reasons to return to town. Low TP, already gathered from material points, full inventory... I feel like I return to town a lot.
I use the stair warps that got introduced in the first Untold game. That way I don't waste my Ariadne Thread, which I save in case I get really stuck somewhere.

I don't carry too many items, just like two Therica B's, Two Nectars, an Ariadne Thread. I usually prefer to use skills over items, mainly because of the item limit.

Hyoukokun

Didn't see this linked anywhere in the OP - there's an HD version of the intro on Youtube. As a Steins;Gate fan, I dig the music.

I'm working on the second stratum boss now. I managed to get through about 2/3s of its health, but I was running low on TP and its second big special attack (
flame attack that sets off the fire cubes it summons
) did me in.

Also: don't forget that tonight's the last night to download the first wave of free DLC, if you haven't already!

ohlawd

you're missing out

Chloe hung out in the MC's room at night carrying books and tea. and she looks so freaking adorable in her CG holding her cup

Ephidel

I actually really like the characters, I'm kind of surprised. I just feel like I broke things when Mr Bow is actually Mr Gun in my name, as the first thing I did was switch his class. I kind of wish they'd thrown in a few alternate character portraits for people who did that, but I can see why they didn't.

I'm kind of tempted to switch Bertrand's class too but something is holding me back. I guess the fact that, unusually, I seem to be playing really defensively, and figure if they've given me a Protector it's probably for a reason.

It feels a little off-putting hearing people call Bertrand 'Old Man' though. He doesn't look that old :(

Hyoukokun

Remember, this is anime-land, where anybody over thirty is ancient.

I am definitely finding it useful having a protector on the team - the elemental wall skills don't cost much TP and really help with surviving some of the nastier all-party / multi-target attacks.

Shizuka

Hot Springs DLC #2 please.

Yeah, I'm hurt.

Why couldn't Bertrand get hot springs portrait DLC too -_-

I'd definitely go for a second playthrough if there was such a thing.

Yeah, think of the ladies!

And the guys, too.

The guys absolutely should have gotten hot springs portraits as well. Equal opportunity fanservice is the best fanservice!

It's Japan, but they have to start somewhere. I want my sexy Bertrand.

Mephala

A friend just notified me that gamefaqs has a bounty of $150 for a guide on this game. It is essentially a race to get the guide in before someone else. I was considering it until I realised this game isn't even out in my country yet, I can only pre-order it. Maybe someone here might be interested in trying for it though.

God dammit I fell for the fucking squirrel stealing my Ariadne thread again. I fell for it in my original playthrough of EO2, so I should've known better here, but I always default to clicking yes the first time I run into an option so I can mark my map accordingly. As soon as I saw the text box pop up I knew I had screwed up.

Zweizer

Banned
God dammit I fell for the fucking squirrel stealing my Ariadne thread again. I fell for it in my original playthrough of EO2, so I should've known better here, but I always default to clicking yes the first time I run into an option so I can makemt my map accordingly. As soon as I saw the text box pop up I knew I had screwed up.

Huehuehuehuehue~

Op0sym7.png

There's a reward at the end though.

Hyoukokun

Beat the second stratum boss by the skin of my teeth last night. I finished it off with Ignition Ray; it felt very appropriate and shounen anime-y to take out the big bad with a last-ditch special attack.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
What monster drops the smelly meat? It's one of the only ingredients from the first set of recipes I can't find. Is it later in the game? I'm on floor 8

So, anyone know if floor 13 has a second take spot? I feel like I've explored the whole thing (as much as is possible on my first run through the floor anyways) but I've only found 1 take spot where every other floor has either 2 of the same gathering spots, 1 of each type, or no gathering spots

What monster drops the smelly meat? It's one of the only ingredients from the first set of recipes I can't find. Is it later in the game? I'm on floor 8

If I remember correctly, Rafflesia on the 5th floor (named after a smelly flower). It drops the Giant Bud, which is a meat for some reason.

Edit: 3 in a row huh? Well at least I remembered correctly.

Rafflesia. First Stratum.

As an added note, all ingredients and recipes are stratified by the stratum you got them in. So any level 1 recipe will only have first stratum ingredients, and level 2 will only have second stratum ingredients and so on. At least as far as I've seen so far.

ohlawd

So, anyone know if floor 13 has a second take spot? I feel like I've explored the whole thing (as much as is possible on my first run through the floor anyways) but I've only found 1 take spot where every other floor has either 2 of the same gathering spots, 1 of each type, or no gathering spots

there are two spots, yeah. B2 and A6

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Thank you! Never would have tried that since I didn't have many and it's NOT MEAT.

But all is good now, thanks!

Nachos

Ladybugs on the third floor are also guaranteed to summon Rafflesia if you leave them alone for a turn while they're the only monster left, if you're having trouble finding the flowers in random battles.

kagamin

So are all the Ginnungagap areas are just bar quests in Classic Mode? (I haven't done story mode so I don't know about it much).

ohlawd

they've been up for the past 12 hours or something

anyway, the level reqs are pretty high. you unlock them pretty early tho. and I wish it was the exp DLC this week instead of the grimoire one. I've had a taste of the exp boost in next week's DLC and it's rad. killing an FOE in the 5th stratum is about 160k exp compared to the normal exp dish Regina cooks and that one is about 80k. well, I think. I'm probably remembering the numbers but it's still damn good

kagamin

So I had an interesting experience, I was just sitting in the Inn menu while I was browsing GAF, then Quona starts coughing all a sudden and scares the hell outta me and I dropped my tablet (good thing I have a case), fun times.

Hyoukokun

anyway, the level reqs are pretty high. you unlock them pretty early tho.

My exact sequence of thoughts this morning: "Yay, new DLC!" "Oh sweet, it's on level 4, I can go fight it!" "...holy crap, who the hell already has their team at level 65?"

(I know some people are probably there already, but it'd require either playing on picnic mode or devoting a few days to power-leveling in the past week. Or maybe I'm just bad at this game.)

My exact sequence of thoughts this morning: "Yay, new DLC!" "Oh sweet, it's on level 4, I can go fight it!" "...holy crap, who the hell already has their team at level 65?"

(I know some people are probably there already, but it'd require either playing on picnic mode or devoting a few days to power-leveling in the past week. Or maybe I'm just bad at this game.)

I left a team on a grimoire grind (picnic, auto walk in a rectangle, clip to hold A) on floor 8 one night, starting at level 20. The next morning, they were all 41, so it likely wouldn't take much power leveling to make it. If I had taken that team to kill the boss, then did another auto grind on the floor after him I could easily hit 65 in 1.5 days. Not something I would do (though I do want more grimoires) but its an option.

Nachos

Man, the third stratum mid-boss was ridiculously easy. Highlander/Gunner/Sovereign/Beast combo too stronk. Spoilers:

Granted, I got torn to shreds thrice: once when the battle started with Artelind's ailment skill, again when she used it on the fifth turn, and a third time once she activated her force boost/used her force break. Once I ate for negating ailments, though, that didn't matter, since I could block the first attempt, and then force boost+prevent order with my sovereign on turn 5. Once I had my buffs set up, I could take out half of one health bar in a single turn, so I actually got to see Wilhelm endure with 1 HP, just so he could use his force boost.

Then, once he fell and Artelind used her boost in response, I knew I only had to survive three turns, because she would always use her suicide force break on turn three. I had my beast force boost+hit-taker to withstand all of her boosted attacks, and on the third turn, used force break to take every hit of her suicide strike, and I didn't need to worry about anyone dying, since the break ensures the beast always survives with 1HP. I just let her kill herself.

Also, gonna upload my guild card later tonight.

ohlawd

man, FUCK the 5th stratum honcho. got it down tho, booyah

spent some time writing down the patterns of the second phase. then I had to rest my entire party so I can boost their damage. lol I banked on him being a mechanical freak who is weak to electricity so I did max Volt shit, max Link Orders, max buffs, max charges, max EVERYTHING. then I needed an answer to his elemental AOEs so I gave Trand max Walls. it's nice that at 10 he'll absorb a particular element. his stupid summons tho. his dumb satellites will chase after each elemental attack and his core freaking buffs his strongest attack. are you shitting me? I had no way to take them all out before he releases his load on me. Link Order IIs are good but they destroy Arianna and Chloe's TP. so I had the brilliant idea of eating for attack item 3x damage and stocking up on all volt jars and it worked really well. I died a couple more times tho. got unlucky with getting hit by panic, fear and curses. on my successful run, I had this premonition I should use Force Prevent Order and Arianna the beast that she is blocked those damn ailments and I coasted the rest of his HP. if I screwed up that run, I would have done something else for the rest of the day >_>

slayn

needs to show more effort.
man, FUCK the 5th stratum honcho. got it down tho, booyah

spent some time writing down the patterns of the second phase. then I had to rest my entire party so I can boost their damage. lol I banked on him being a mechanical freak who is weak to electricity so I did max Volt shit, max Link Orders, max buffs, max charges, max EVERYTHING. then I needed an answer to his elemental AOEs so I gave Trand max Walls. it's nice that at 10 he'll absorb a particular element. his stupid summons tho. his dumb satellites will chase after each elemental attack and his core freaking buffs his strongest attack. are you shitting me? I had no way to take them all out before he releases his load on me. Link Order IIs are good but they destroy Arianna and Chloe's TP. so I had the brilliant idea of eating for attack item 3x damage and stocking up on all volt jars and it worked really well. I died a couple more times tho. got unlucky with getting hit by panic, fear and curses. on my successful run, I had this premonition I should use Force Prevent Order and Arianna the beast that she is blocked those damn ailments and I coasted the rest of his HP. if I screwed up that run, I would have done something else for the rest of the day >_>

Man, I thought he was one of the easiest stratum bosses. Once his
head part shows up he just does the same attack over and over and firewall blocks it completely. Just gotta beat up the little things he summons so you don't get hit bu the chasing attacks.

ohlawd

Man, I thought he was one of the easiest stratum bosses. Once his
head part shows up he just does the same attack over and over and firewall blocks it completely. Just gotta beat up the little things he summons so you don't get hit bu the chasing attacks.

what

yeah Trand can null his fire damage when he starts out but you did enough damage to bypass him doing ice and then elec and finally when he starts randomizing his attacks at low health?

the hell? I call shenanigans

slayn

needs to show more effort.
what

yeah Trand can null his fire damage when he starts out but you did enough damage to bypass him doing ice and then elec and finally when he starts randomizing his attacks at low health?

the hell? I call shenanigans
I honestly had no idea he used any element but fire. Never saw anything else.
He summoned a helper, I killed it, he summon his head, I ignored it. He summoned 2 more helpers and then he died.

Top Bottom