• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

tebunker

Banned
I don't think it's the hacking thing because the DS and 3DS have had the doors blown off for years

Completely different situations. They also kept chasing that 3ds dragon for a while before I think they realized they couldn't catch up.

It's one thing to retool a plug and play $60 console to not have a usb charger and another thing to completely retool a $200 system with specs and standards etc that developers code to.

gundalf

This is fuel to my theory, that the NES Mini was purely created by the Nintendo management to have nice Numbers for the xmas season and nothing else.

Hermii

This is fuel to my theory, that the NES Mini was purely created by the Nintendo management to have nice Numbers for the xmas season and nothing else.
Then why did they make so few of them for the xmas season? Doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it.

fernoca

I don't think it's the hacking thing because the DS and 3DS have had the doors blown off for years
Yep, neither sales or the VC model.

The Wii sold over 100 million and had VC, and all they did was release models that made it a bit... less easy to hack, and at the very end, a model with no way to hack it.

So either it was intentional, or they are changing some things. But hacking or sales alone are not the reason.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So let me get this straight...

The company that couldn't gauge demand of the NES mini in a world of social media, somehow knows a small fraction of consumers are modding their systems?

Tell me another fairy tale.

mario_O

NES Mini is hacked and is used to play illegal ROMs.

I don't think Nintendo has much interest in supporting a heavy compromised device thats tempt people to download illegal ROMs.

Would not be the first dedicated gaming device that had been killed by pirates, and sadly it will not be the last.

You can play NES games with your coffee machine. People were buying the mini for the hardware, for nostalgia reasons etc, not to pirate the games.

Geeky

I was lucky get one because I follow @videogamedeals and turned on notifications just for that account. Was able to get one off of Amazon Prime Now and even got the $10 off first orders coupon.

Maybe Nintendo could use the hype behind this and transfer it over to the Switch by creating a bundle with the games (In the NES Classic interface) and NES style Joy-Cons. You get the same experience as the NES Classic with two controllers ready to go wherever you want.

These oldschool games work really well as portable experiences to play on a train or plane.

That makes no sense, as they don't make that much money per unit, nor did they manufacture enough volume to create substantial profits. If they were trying to have a bump for a quarter, they would have called in a limited edition product and charged more for them.

LQX

Bu,bu,bu it would be insane for a company like Nintendo to under ship as they want to sell as many of these as they can.

My positive take is that they will redesign it with wireless controllers, a higher price, and more games. Remove the USB port.

And maybe introduce a game boy mini at the same time around holiday next year. Ramp up production starting in August and do a huge relaunch for 2017 holiday. New NES mini at $99, game boy mini at $89.

Completely different situations. They also kept chasing that 3ds dragon for a while before I think they realized they couldn't catch up.

It's one thing to retool a plug and play $60 console to not have a usb charger and another thing to completely retool a $200 system with specs and standards etc that developers code to.

People are gonna hack the shit out this thing no matter how you can get to it, even if they gotta add USB stuff themselves

Yep, neither sales or the VC model.

The Wii sold over 100 million and had VC, and all they did was release models that made it a bit... less easy to hack, and at the very end, a model with no way to hack it.

So either it was intentional, or they are changing some things. But hacking or sales alone are not the reason.

Ya I'm thinking it's a supply thing

Well they failed horriby if that was the case. How many did they wind up selling in North America over the holidays? Like just north of 200k? They could have sold 10 times that amount if they had produced them.

mindatlarge

This and maybe also to restore some hype for a Nintendo console leading up to the Switch, even if the NES Classic was just an emulation box wrapped up in nostalgia, it may have been a publicity pawn of sorts.

Vitacat

This is really sad, if true, and it seems to be true.

Why did they even bother releasing it in the first place? Meh.

And isn't that little box they put together for the NES Classic powerful enough to basically run any emulation for their old stuff?

SNES Mini incomin', gonna tag team it

mario_O

Believe whatever you want to believe. It's got nothing to do with it being hacked.

It was something to sell on Christmas -the Switch was not ready. And I think they wanted to create momentum for the Nintendo brand leading up to the Switch release. Now that the Switch is here they're killing it.

foppy79

Well that was sudden.

I understand that this was supposed to be just a christmas gift, but it spiraled out of control for nintendo. Initial shortages, yeah, but the supreme lack of restocks are just plain stupid not only from a money standpoint, but pr as well. This isn't helping Nintendo's reputation with artificial shortages, nor their bottom line. If this just turns out to be the stopping of one production and starting a new one (SNES mini), then announce that shit, or you're just yelling us you don't want our money.

They need more production lines for the switch, huh?

The only way I can wrap my head around this is to think that Nintendo is going to make this a yearly limited edition to drum up brand mindshare and hype. Essentially, the video game version of a McRib or Shamrock shake.

Otherwise, the only thing this does is piss off everyone who wasn't lucky enough to get one before the scalpers.

Who knows what the fuck they are thinking, they have been totally bizarre with their back catalogue for years now considering the VC.

Nintendo have shown time and time again that they have no clue about how their markets work, particularly outside Japan. They succeed because they make good quality software and constantly innovate but if it came out that they had no idea this was going to be such a huge success, was just a throwaway hype builder for Christmas and the Switch launch and they refused to change their strategy because someone high-up refused to accept they got something wrong, I would not be at all surprised.

If they're ending production, does that mean they're doing so forever - as in there'll be zero NES Classics ever again, or even for the rest of the year?

I wouldn't be surprised if they just came back at random in small batches around important shopping times (like at Christmas); if they did that, that would fulfill the "we're looking to restock these and try to meet demand" without making it some ubiquitous item nobody cares about.

Jimrpg

I have been looking at getting a new 3DS since Black Friday and found nothing. That's 10 weeks. Yeah I could go on ebay and get one, but why can't Nintendo stock it? It's just dumb. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that wants the mid tier 3DS. I don't want the 3DS XL because it doesn't have face plates and its too big for my kids hands.

It's just crazy.

NES Classic Mini not being produced despite demand DOES NOT SURPRISE ME.

asagami_

Banned
I have been looking at getting a new 3DS since Black Friday and found nothing. That's 10 weeks. Yeah I could go on ebay and get one, but why can't Nintendo stock it? It's just dumb. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that wants the mid tier 3DS. I don't want the 3DS XL because it doesn't have face plates and its too big for my kids hands.

It's just crazy.

NES Classic Mini not being produced despite demand DOES NOT SURPRISE ME.

If you are in USA, the new 3DS are... limited. They are only sold in special days.

i-Jest

So let me get this straight...

The company that couldn't gauge demand of the NES mini in a world of social media, somehow knows a small fraction of consumers are modding their systems?

Tell me another fairy tale.

I'm not convinced hacking is the reason for this either.

NES Classic now a MyNintendo exclusive for 3000 Switch Coins.

Exciting! Wouldn't be surprised if it ever becomes a physical reward. That would definitely be a strong motivation to re-download Nintendo's game apps and invest time in them. Membership would skyrocket.

Lo-Volt

...Already? Just like that? Nintendo has no ideas about how to extend its life or offer different Classic Mini packages or sell higher-margin accessories? Nintendo has an incredible hardware and software legacy, and they seem to have such a hard time really taking advantage of that in the long term. It's kind of distressing.

Sounds like manufacturing issues, and probably sold at a loss. Doesn't bode well for when the Switch has to be forced to decrease in price

Fucking slow clap Nintendo. Slow clap.

It's been impossible to buy one in the UK since the launch in November, so their way to solve the 'NES Mini problem' is to just stop production?

Robin64

Fucking slow clap Nintendo. Slow clap.

It's been impossible to buy one in the UK since the launch in November, so their way to solve the 'NES Mini problem' is to just stop production?

What, you weren't spamming a stock checker to beat scalpers? TOO BAD!

o4QV979.png

(Yeah, it's SHIT)

Top Bottom