• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

Ok so current conspiracy theories:

[*]Nintendo doesn't want to devalue ROMs prior to Switch VC launch
[

They probably shouldn't have released it at all, if that's the case. I mean, selling this thing during Christmas is pretty much 'prior to Switch launch' being that it's right around the corner now. And leading up to the NES mini release, people were already comparing the value of the Mini versus an individual ROM off the VC.

Frankly, the NES Mini was never about supplying the market with games that aren't obtainable elsewhere. It was about the 30 and over crowd capturing the feels of having a modern representation of a key part of many a childhood. Otherwise, your average 12 year old can probably download a NES emulator and games onto their PC/laptop. Or go onto google app store and download an emulator on their smartphone. Shit I can probably teach my 70 year old parents how to do it. That's how easy it is to obtain these games without paying a cent for them. Nintendo had a possible winner on their hands, bundling a bunch of classic games into a mini NES that tickles the nostalgia nerve, and could have probably sold 2 million at Xmas. No-one can convince me they would scoff at the easy money they could have made with these things, on top of the 'artificial awareness/brand awareness' megalomaniac marketing schemes they're supposedly doing( which I think is utter nonsense, to be clear).

Bladelaw

They probably shouldn't have released it at all, if that's the case. I mean, selling this thing during Christmas is pretty much 'prior to Switch launch' being that it's right around the corner now. And leading up to the NES mini release, people were already comparing the value of the Mini versus an individual ROM off the VC.

Frankly, the NES Mini was never about supplying the market with games that aren't obtainable elsewhere. It was about the 30 and over crowd capturing the feels of having a modern representation of a key part of many a childhood. Otherwise, your average 12 year old can probably download a NES emulator and games onto their PC/laptop. Or go onto google app store and download an emulator on their smartphone. Shit I can probably teach my 70 year old parents how to do it. That's how easy it is to obtain these games without paying a cent for them. Nintendo had a possible winner on their hands, bundling a bunch of classic games into a mini NES that tickles the nostalgia nerve, and could have probably sold 2 million at Xmas. No-one can convince me they would scoff at the easy money they could have made with these things, on top of the 'artificial awareness/brand awareness' megalomaniac marketing schemes they're supposedly doing( which I think is utter nonsense, to be clear).
Yeah I'm with you, I have a hard time believing Nintendo's willing to throw money away. if they're stopping production in general there has to be a solid business reason for it. What that reason is remains to be seen (if they're actually stopping production).

Maybe they aren't making enough off each one vs the cost to manufacture, ship, and stock the device? Really the only thing I can think of. But if that's the case they would have known that going in since those costs are decided way before manufacturing. I'm just not seeing a logical case for them stopping production so soon which is what makes this hard to believe.

Please don't be true. I wonder if this has to do with the fact you can download the entire NES library on the thing with a simple hack and USB cord?

Ernest

Banned
And here, I thought it was gonna be available at every store imaginable, like Beds, Bath & Beyond, piled high and at every end-cap, capitalizing on impulse purchases, like that Genesis mini-console no one gave two fucks about.

Future

Ha wait. You mean you still can't buy this thing anywhere? I always thought I'd pick one up when chaos died down.

With switch selling out in 2 seconds I feel Nintendo just doesn't want people to buy their shit besides die hards and scalpers

Yup, still haven't seen one in stores and word has been circulating in France for weeks that retailers would not get another batch.

It's so insanely dumb that it's probably true.

HeySeuss

You guys are dopes for thinking this was ever going to be a long term product in the first place. They probably make 25-35 bucks per unit and it's just not financially viable for their annual strategic goals. This was a Xmas money market and to increase brand awareness leading in to the Switch launch. That's all it was ever supposed to be and it filled it's niche. There won't be an SNES or n64 version, they just needed to make a quick buck for the holiday season because it wasn't going to happen with the WiiU.

Ha wait. You mean you still can't buy this thing anywhere? I always thought I'd pick one up when chaos died down.

With switch selling out in 2 seconds I feel Nintendo just doesn't want people to buy their shit besides die hards and scalpers

No. They've never made it to a shelf in my city. They're gone before doors open.

Online inventory at EB games sells out in less than 5 seconds when they get it.

It's not been possible to purchase it, short of being extremely lucky.

You guys are dopes for thinking this was ever going to be a long term product in the first place. They probably make 25-35 bucks per unit and it's just not financially viable for their annual strategic goals. This was a Xmas money market and to increase brand awareness leading in to the Switch launch. That's all it was ever supposed to be and it filled it's niche. There won't be an SNES or n64 version, they just needed to make a quick buck for the holiday season because it wasn't going to happen with the WiiU.

That's like the console manufacturing equivalent of "rebound ass"... Terminate your previous bad relationship (Wii U), rebound into a nice but temporary piece of ass (NES Mini), and finally, move on to a permanent new relationship (Switch).

styl3s

Im calling BS on this, why would Nintendo stop making this system its making them a hell of a lot of money!!??
Trying to understand why Nintendo does what Nintendo does is impossible.

Go back further and look how they treated other products. Just recently look at Amiibo and even the 3DS, people have been having a hard ass time finding them anywhere locally. Out of about 8 retail stores i found 2 standard 3Ds units and this was months before the New 3DS was out and even now anywhere i go doesn't have any in stock and most places still either don't stock amiibo or get very, very, very small shipments. Best Buy/Toys-R-Us are the only places you can find any amiibo here you want.

ghibli99

That sucks, to be honest. Lots of people still want one. Managed to finally get one from Best Buy last week. Took months of trying. I hooked it up and gave it a shot. Yeah, I think some things are better left as memories. I mean, there are some great games in this, but I've played many of them in recent years, so it's not like this is a treasure trove of memories I haven't seen in 25-30 years. Probably gonna eBay it.

Maybe they aren't making enough off each one vs the cost to manufacture, ship, and stock the device? Really the only thing I can think of. But if that's the case they would have known that going in since those costs are decided way before manufacturing. I'm just not seeing a logical case for them stopping production so soon which is what makes this hard to believe.

Considering 3DS is AWOL at the moment, and we all know the Wii U is a non-factor, exactly what are they selling right now at retail? Some Pokemon games? I mean they basically have no hardware retail presence at the moment. Yes, the Switch is coming, but I'm figuring they'd want some kind of steady revenue stream from Xmas till March 3rd? Was the 3DS covertly not restocked so that people don't buy one of those? But they're still planning on supporting the 3ds over the year, correct? I have no idea what they're doing, to be honest. I didn't want to make the connection that 'oh boy, what's going to happen with Switch' based on their handling of the Mini, but I was holding out hope that the Swich was signalling a new Nintendo. It seems they're still very susceptible to the most oddball, eyebrow raising decisions.

I can kind of get behind them stopping production while they figure out a means to 'hack-proof' it a little more, but why not state that this is why they're doing it? Nintendo is very bad at 'controlling the message', which is why we have threads like this with rampant speculation.

HeySeuss

That's like the console manufacturing equivalent of "rebound ass"... Terminate your previous bad relationship (Wii U), rebound into a nice but temporary piece of ass (NES Mini), and finally, move on to a permanent new relationship (Switch).

Actually, that's a pretty damn good analogy.

Just wait it out folks. No need to panic. Reggie said that they would be making more to make sure people who wanted one had one. Until it's officially confirmed, this is just a rumor. Nothing else.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nintendo's supply chain stays losing.

Pilgrimzero

It wasn't the until 6 months ago I finally saw a Ness amibo in the stores.

I want a Classic but don't think I'll see one in stores soon.

Just takes Nintendo awhile to catch up to demand.

koss424

Nintendo basically working for scalpers. Smfh

please... Nintendo needed something for x-mas 2016. The quickly designed and built the NES classic and now they need to prioritize the Switch production because a new console is more important that a $60 stocking stuffer that's already been hacked.

It would not make sense from a business standpoint, but I have a nagging suspicion that Nintendo wanted to have the hot Christmas present. Has succeeded. Is now done with it.

Nintendo knew the demand based solely from preorders. They didn't underproduced on accident.

Famicom Mini's are currently floating around $92 from Amazon Prime retailers.

It's becoming even more tempting to get one in light of these reports...

If this is true, I'll be hacking mine to the max. Nintendo never seems to learn from their stupid mistakes. And if they do this on purpose, they're even dumber than I thought...

please... Nintendo needed something for x-mas 2016. The quickly designed and built the NES classic and now they need to prioritize the Switch production because a new console is more important that a $60 stocking stuffer that's already been hacked.

And they also didn't *have* something for Christmas 2016, either. How many of these do you think they've sold?

Maybe they're switching production to the Super Nintendo Mini?

Sucks for everyone who wasn't able to get one at retail price. This thing figuratively prints money, fueled by nostalgia, and Nintendo is all like "nope, no mas!"

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I want a NES Mini. I don't want a Switch. I want to support Nintendo and I have. I've played Pokémon Go, Super Mario Run (and bought it) and I've even downloaded Fire Emblem on iOS. Now they're not letting me buy a NES Mini and I don't get why. I guess it says something about how they value me as a consumer. I guess they could have checked with Valve or Sony of willing I am to part with my money before they decided they didn't want my business.

Sure, I'm venting and it's hyperbole. But nothing about the Switch attracts me as a consumer. Their other ventures do. Let me buy them.

Nintendo should re release the original NES and SNES. The actual consoles. Those things would sell like mad. I would give anything to have a brand new of those 2 consoles.

theclaw135

Banned
Nintendo basically working for scalpers. Smfh

That's what those complaining aren't seeing. The scalpers are the profit, and a brilliant source of free advertising for Nintendo. It makes their products look more like desirable collectibles in the public's eye.

Nintendo should re release the original NES and SNES. The actual consoles. Those things would sell like mad. I would give anything to have a brand new of those 2 consoles.

Somebody might be able to rig those up to play bootleg copies of Urban Champion. Better to just stop releasing hardware altogether.

Feeroper

Everyone should read the book Console Wars. It has a lot of good info on Nintendo's tactics and how they operated everything that is surprisingly relevant to what they are doing today. Quite a few parallels can be seen.

I think the obvious thing is that they will have a virtual console service launching for the Switch. The Classic did its job and I wouldn't be surprised to see it re-introduced somewhere down the line for small amount of time (like Xmas time or something) to augment their offerings now that they know how ravenous people get for it. It will always be an extremely limited product I would expect though.

Top Bottom