• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean |OT| "Don't fight it, feel it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

You know, the show had all the pieces needed for excellence by the halfway point, but it just sank under its own weight. Obfuscation and lack of foresight, a conceptual failure by the end, saddled with its need to tie things together that had no business being linked in the first place. A good story comes together, seemingly without effort (of course, the effort is there but in its seamless cohesion it betrays effortlessness), but the confused, unwieldy vehicle this ending was . . . ah, oh well. Life goes on.

It's weird but I still enjoyed the final episode, in an odd, confused way. It reminded me of watching Primus videos while stoned.

duckroll

Episode 23-24 final impressions:

bUKFF.jpg

Averon

AO 23 and 24

What a clusterfuck. This series had so much potential. Time travel. Alternate realities. Time travel in alternate realities. Reality altering gun. Truth. Secrets and Scubs.

This entire series got needlessly mired in its own mysteries. I hope this is it for the Eureka Seven series.

Deadly

what the fuck is this shit?!?!? What a terrible fucking ending WOW. I'm speechless. I barely understand wtf happened in the end... Don't the scub still exist which means they're still fucked?

sonicmj1

Eureka 7 AO 23-24

That ending was garbage. Incredibly beautiful garbage with a great soundtrack (
Those assholes had to go and remix Niji for the finale...
), but garbage nonetheless. There are a billion places you can start if you want to break down exactly why, but I'll just settle for saying that the final action sequence was one of the most nakedly contrived things in a show loaded with ridiculous contrivances, and it would have been solved if characters took a single minute to express their important concerns to people they were on good terms with. Instead... at least it looked good.

I can't tell if the show's message of trying to work through your mistakes instead of erasing them should be seen as a desperate cry for fans not to exile this show to the bargain bin of history, or as the most elliptical anti-abortion message ever conceived, but either way the story sucks. Every time I think back on what transpired in the ending, I somehow uncover a new way in which it's terrible. And it doesn't even have the excuse of being exhilarating or emotional as it was all happening.

I'm not as negative about the show as a whole, because it had moments of really impressive quality. But in the end, it was a waste, especially the back half.

NEO0MJ

As it has been said many times, what a clusterfuck and waste of incredible potential. And after all that teasing...
Archetype The End did nothing, nothing at all! What was the point of foreshadowing it all that time?

Daft_Cat

..and I watched it and was all like wut.

It's like they had some ideas for visuals, but couldn't get the plot to match. It's nonsensical even for anime, and you know that's saying something.

I'd like to say at least it stands far enough away from the original series so as not to dampen people's love for it..but I'm not so sure. For example, I notice Jarmel has changed his avatar for the first time in a long time.

JCG

Nope. Kyoda apparently did do some writing for the original but the main lifter was Dai Sato who was smart enough not to touch this abomination.

Well, he was the director, but the original E7 had like six or seven separate writers in total...none of which came back to work on AO, as far as I can tell, which seems to have had a completely different set of six writers at work. I can only guess they didn't do their homework properly.

23-24 (end)
tumblr_mdtawzBhhW1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well that was actually really good. A portion of the ending was just really odd and not what I wanted but it is Eureka Seven so they have to have some type of
romantic inclined plot idea
present. I guess Im part of the fanbase that somehow left the episode teary eyed and stuff mainly because of the plot and the results thereof of it
since it seems Ao had to sacrifice it all for his selfish parents who oddly couldnt help themselves and had to leave things in the hand of their son, thankfully he is way more competant and compelling than the awful and annoying Eureka, just the same as she was in Eureka Sevean, and Renton (best shot) who still struggles to prove himself even after all he went through in that anime, having him just not be remembered by no one and have to drift alone, or rather alone with truth was really sad and kind of touching in a kind of way, can only hope he has new things and keeps the new look. I like it alot and if he keeps boarding, even better

I actually did have a wish fulfilled this episode set so it made things even better. I mean having
Truth go through all that intense action stuff, betray Naru like thankfully since she was getting in the way and trying to lead Ao astray, then give us so many glorious action moments, and finally, after a physical lesson in understanding, to join the ranks with Ao and team up and then act all friendly, that was a really good reward and certainly extremely pleasing. I was hoping they would somehow have them both team up to understand and reach the Truth, since they were similar in that way for awhile.

Anyway the action and how things tied together with the glorious visuals, the swift fast paced brilliantly colored laser beams and ballistics with the camera continuously struggle to keep up and the linearly intersection paths keeping it looking fast paced, it was fun. Best characters, Ao (easily relatable, fun, and oftentimes shared the same feelings or thoughts I had at the events in the episodes, if I didnt understand something, he didnt understand something), Truth (excellent design), and Juno han(sp?)

I think Eureka Seven Ao as a whole improved upon just about everything I disliked for Eureka Seven, forgoing any sort of dumb unappealing romance plot thread and keeping things focused on addressing deep questions through science fiction ideology, historical events, and ultimately, finding the truth in this world with better music, action, and visual quality, I do like this way more than Eureka Seven. Unfortunately Ao also shows that they still struggle to write an appealing ending, they were close but as already said had that show up in it to make things feel unwanted. I did scratch my head at the plot in Ao though
so many parallel worlds, how to keep them straight especially when it incorporates both, space, time, and peoples existences.
Will have to rewatch when Funi dubs it and I buy it, hopefully they do that in 2013.
> 8.0

Epcott

Oh DTL...

You really make me want to watch this final.
I just watched the original E7 series last week in it's entirety, and I just don't know if I can stomach anymore of AO.

I mean, E7 was deep on so many levels. Hell, every line that pours from Stoner the photographer's mustachioed mug is worlds better than anything I've heard uttered in AO.

I'm going to watch it... just to get some closure. *Sigh*

hteng

Banned
Oh DTL...

You really make me want to watch this final.
I just watched the original E7 series last week in it's entirety, and I just don't know if I can stomach anymore of AO.

I mean, E7 was deep on so many levels. Hell, every line that pours from Stoner the photographer's mustachioed mug is worlds better than anything I've heard uttered in AO.

I'm going to watch it... just to get some closure. *Sigh*

you can never turn back after you watch it, it'll spoil E7's ending forever.

Epcott

you can never turn back after you watch it, it'll spoil E7's ending forever.

Not really... just finished. It was pretty stupid for
Renton to be the final boss, and Truth to be Ao's autopilot (which is putting it as simple as I can).

Dare I say, it actually makes sense, even though Secrets were never mentioned in the original series, but I guess it does explain the coral bursts.
It's baffling that Renton would even want harm to come to Eureka after the events in E7, so him wanting to destroy the very original Scub Coral seemed pretty dumb. He couldn't destroy it anyways because not only would it erase Eureka from existence, but the countless universes as well as his own, the human exodus would have never happened and he would never exist, and the Nirvash he used to accomplish the feat as well would cease to be, which would create a paradox. I guess the real question to the ending is, what happens to Ao if he doesn't exist in that universe? Do trapars even exist in that universe? If not, he's going to die by the time that board hits the ocean. Bah, whatever

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

A real shame you never saw anyone else from the original series. Also a real shame they didn't make the series longer to fully flesh out the mysteries, such as the book Truth's adoptive father wrote, I didn't get that. I guess it was supposed to be a lazy parallel to the book Dewy had, about the Sacrificial King.
For all we know, maybe Dewy's book is based on Ao, the Sacrificial Prince, heh heh.
Anyways, game over, moving on.

A real shame you never saw anyone else from the original series. Also a real shame they didn't make the series longer to fully flesh out the mysteries, such as the book Truth's adoptive father wrote, I didn't get that. I guess it was supposed to be a lazy parallel to the book Dewy had, about the Sacrificial King.
For all we know, maybe Dewy's book is based on Ao, the Sacrificial Prince, heh heh.
Anyways, game over, moving on.

I was hoping for a second season at least, still were a lot of interesting things they could have explored but I guess thats up to fanfics.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just as a reminder:

5TgDg.jpg

That one image does more to add to the ending of E7 than the entirety of AO, not to mention it's actually consistent with the show.

(image is the artwork from the final DVD of the original show, by Yoshida)

Deadly

I'm just going to choose to forget the show ever existed bar designs on how Renton and Eureka would look like grown up.

I'm pretty easy to please with anime but the last two episodes were a hot mess. They would have done a better job not explaining things. I would have even given it a pass if it was just surface level explanations that had no depth. The problem here it seems someone was writing down dialog for the characters to say and was skipping thoughts so entire ideas became incoherent. Then bypassed any editing process and went to give the scripts to the actors and tripped and jumbled all the pages around and the actors were like eff it... we'll roll with this: Read them were they lay!

This was so bad. At least Renton's entrance was at the end of 22 and in 23 were pretty bad-ass.

Prologue

Why did the parents leave though?Seems a bit harsh to leave him or am I missing something?

Anywho, I got the impression that there might be another series. Why end on that note if there wasn't a future?

trejo

Eureka Seven AO 23-24

Well, I anticipated audiovisual spectacle and nothing else and that's precisely what I got for the most part so I can't complain too much. Mechas soared, guns were shot and things exploded in fulfilling fashion all accompanied by a sweet soundtrack and a neat remix of one of the original show's best songs. Good times were had.

The show as a whole? Yeah, this project was an absolute waste of time for everyone involved that is best left forgotten in the landfills of anime history, right next to the equally perfidious Pocketful of Rainbows. The original Eureka Seven remains on my list of top anime and thankfully, try as they might, these stains on its legacy do nothing to demerit its value in my book. Hopefully now, with the less than stellar performance this project received and deserves they'll finally get a clue and stop bastardizing the world and characters that I came to enjoy so much.

And as a final note, fuck whoever decided to
have Holland's voice actor play the role of adult Renton
. Seriously, fuck you.

What the fuck did I even watch

I'm trying to make sense of this and tell me if I'm right or not cause I was half asleep watching this

So in the original series, the Nirvash/Corrallian Cluster/scub/whatever take the humans assimilated into their consciousness and half of themselves to go to a different universe as to not reach the limit of questions. But instead they end up going back in time, but when they do they're attacked by Secrets which are the the Earth's anti-bodies, and the quartz (wtf are these again?) allows them to travel through time, so they decide to plant themselves all over the timeline creating different universes? But the Secrets follow them through their portals and that's what that whole burst thing is in Ao's world.

So in the the future, Renton and Eureka can't have kids because of...some reason. No trapar? Too much trapar? Turns hybrids into stone? I don't remember. And then their future gets destroyed by the secrets or something? And they decide to go to different time periods and fight the Secrets or something, and Renton decides to destroy the scub because? So he sends Eureka back in a perfect time with the right amount of trapar, to give birth to Ao.

And then more time travel bullshit, Ao in a damaged Nirvash Neo was the one who saved Eureka in Episode 13. In 23, Ao uses the quartz gun to alter time, so then truth becomes an archetype for the Nirvash Neo? What the fuck does that even mean?

Naru says some thing about awakening the archetype and says Ao's Nirvash is only a machine. I thought archetypes were just the first attempt of the Corallians to create a dialogue with humans, and that's why they look human. How does Truth become Nirvash Neo?

And then there's Renton having his own Nirvash, and Eureka having her own Nirvash. How? There's only one Nirvash and and he became the Corallian Cluster at the end of the original series.

Renton decides use the quartz gun to wipe out the very first scub that transposed itself into the timeline and erase everything or something and Ao decides to instead use the gun to save his mom? And he does this by using a portal that takes him back to when Eureka disappeared when he was a kid and does something which saves the timeline somehow and he gets lost in time and everyone forgets him cause he never existed...

People call the first series convoluted but this makes no sense. It sounds like complete gibberish when I try to recall what happened. What was this show even about?

At least the visuals were nice. And the remixed Rainbow was cool too. This series sucked and I hate everyone involved with it.

Prologue

23-24 (end)
tumblr_mdtawzBhhW1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well that was actually really good. A portion of the ending was just really odd and not what I wanted but it is Eureka Seven so they have to have some type of
romantic inclined plot idea
present. I guess Im part of the fanbase that somehow left the episode teary eyed and stuff mainly because of the plot and the results thereof of it
since it seems Ao had to sacrifice it all for his selfish parents who oddly couldnt help themselves and had to leave things in the hand of their son, thankfully he is way more competant and compelling than the awful and annoying Eureka, just the same as she was in Eureka Sevean, and Renton (best shot) who still struggles to prove himself even after all he went through in that anime, having him just not be remembered by no one and have to drift alone, or rather alone with truth was really sad and kind of touching in a kind of way, can only hope he has new things and keeps the new look. I like it alot and if he keeps boarding, even better

I actually did have a wish fulfilled this episode set so it made things even better. I mean having
Truth go through all that intense action stuff, betray Naru like thankfully since she was getting in the way and trying to lead Ao astray, then give us so many glorious action moments, and finally, after a physical lesson in understanding, to join the ranks with Ao and team up and then act all friendly, that was a really good reward and certainly extremely pleasing. I was hoping they would somehow have them both team up to understand and reach the Truth, since they were similar in that way for awhile.

Anyway the action and how things tied together with the glorious visuals, the swift fast paced brilliantly colored laser beams and ballistics with the camera continuously struggle to keep up and the linearly intersection paths keeping it looking fast paced, it was fun. Best characters, Ao (easily relatable, fun, and oftentimes shared the same feelings or thoughts I had at the events in the episodes, if I didnt understand something, he didnt understand something), Truth (excellent design), and Juno han(sp?)

I think Eureka Seven Ao as a whole improved upon just about everything I disliked for Eureka Seven, forgoing any sort of dumb unappealing romance plot thread and keeping things focused on addressing deep questions through science fiction ideology, historical events, and ultimately, finding the truth in this world with better music, action, and visual quality, I do like this way more than Eureka Seven. Unfortunately Ao also shows that they still struggle to write an appealing ending, they were close but as already said had that show up in it to make things feel unwanted. I did scratch my head at the plot in Ao though
so many parallel worlds, how to keep them straight especially when it incorporates both, space, time, and peoples existences.
Will have to rewatch when Funi dubs it and I buy it, hopefully they do that in 2013.
> 8.0

Thinking about it now, Renten couldn't do anything. If it was him instead of Ao, he never would have met Eureka and had Ao. I guess how the show played out was the only way.

Dynedom

Re-posting from the Fall Anime OT:

Eureka 7 AO - 23&24 (Fin)

Man, one of the worst narratives in recent memory. If they had maybe taken out 3 or 4 of the subplots out of this series, it may have stood a chance. If they had just focused on some of the revelations at the end of this series and built around it, it may have been great. If the story was focused more or less solely on
Renton and Eureka battling the scub and being separated through time and trying to find each other again or something
it may have been a great series.

This, however, is a moot point to discuss for one simple reason:

BONES

Or at least, BONES sequels. Maybe they just have trouble writing 2-part stories? Darker than Black had a decent first season and a trash second season. Even Xam'd felt like it was almost 2 series mashed into 1 with "season 1" being good and "season 2" being a mess.

Then again, Un-GO was a self contained series and it was shit. Maybe Eureka 7 was the diamond in the rough for this studio. Are there any other BONES series that were good that I'm forgetting?

I can't think of the last series I watched with such little return on investment. That's probably because I invested too much into this being great seeing as how the original Eureka 7 is one of my favorite series (whereas DTB wasn't so the sequel had me laughing more than shaking my head).

I doubt I'll watch another BONES production. None of their other properties seem great and the one redeeming production they had will never be duplicated, even when they try.

edit: There are obviously numerous issues about this show I could have gone into but I'm sure they've been repeatedly addressed. Keeping this fairly succinct.

Dresden

Re-posting from the Fall Anime OT:

Eureka 7 AO - 23&24 (Fin)

Then again, Un-GO was a self contained series and it was shit. Maybe Eureka 7 was the diamond in the rough for this studio. Are there any other BONES series that were good that I'm forgetting?
There's . . . quite a few. Don't mistake the faults of their recent efforts as some all-defining thing. Ouran, FMA, Skullman, Stranger, Wolf's Rain, DtB, etc--generally, shows from before 2008.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bones from 2000 to 2007 is pretty consistent. Shows range from good to masterpiece status (wolfs rain). Didn't start making bad shows til around 08...but its been consistently bad since then... :(

duckroll

Bones from 2000 to 2007 is pretty consistent. Shows range from good to masterpiece status (wolfs rain). Didn't start making bad shows til around 08...but its been consistently bad since then... :(

It's not even consistently bad though. There's good stuff like Milos. Some stuff are kinda mediocre like FMA Brotherhood. Some stuff with great potential but kinda disappoints like Xam'd and Star Driver. They all have moments of greatness and a lot of meh, Tokyo M8 was okay, even though some people really hate the ending lol. Then we have some real super stinkers like Gosick and Heroman. And there's even some ??????? ????????? ????????? stuff like Un-Go.

Nothing consistent about the badness! >_<

Epcott

My coworker suspects the ending is nothing more than a set up for a E7AO movie, which is probably true.

If it's as bad as Pocketful of Rainbows, were looking at the potential of "something horrible²" with enough negative energy to make timespace cave in on itself with the force of a million black holes.

Bones fucked up big time with this series. They made us wait years for a sequel and this is the best they can come up with. The plot of this show is so goddamn bad. This quartz gun is literally a plot device to rewrite the story universe whenever the writer writes him/herself into a hole. Seriously evil.

What puzzles me especially are the fans of the original that seem to love Ao. I don't understand them. Are they brain dead or just desperate for scraps of E7 content? The score on IMDB makes me similarly confused.

Bones fucked up big time with this series. They made us wait years for a sequel and this is the best they can come up with. The plot of this show is so goddamn bad. This quartz gun is literally a plot device to rewrite the story universe whenever the writer writes him/herself into a hole. Seriously evil.

What puzzles me especially are the fans of the original that seem to love Ao. I don't understand them. Are they brain dead or just desperate for scraps of E7 content? The score on IMDB makes me similarly confused.

E7AO was enjoyable and well at the rate the poll is going, I guess you should be prepared for more. With the poll on their facebook page suggesting that Eureka Seven AO 2 is the leading vote for what fans want to see next of the Eureka Seven franchise.

sonicmj1

E7AO was enjoyable and well at the rate the poll is going, I guess you should be prepared for more. With the poll on their facebook page suggesting that Eureka Seven AO 2 is the leading vote for what fans want to see next of the Eureka Seven franchise.

I'm shocked that the people who post on the Eureka 7 AO Facebook page like Eureka 7 AO.

The show selling less than 5,000 a volume suggests we probably won't see too much more of it.

hteng

Banned
It's not even consistently bad though. There's good stuff like Milos. Some stuff are kinda mediocre like FMA Brotherhood. Some stuff with great potential but kinda disappoints like Xam'd and Star Driver. They all have moments of greatness and a lot of meh, Tokyo M8 was okay, even though some people really hate the ending lol. Then we have some real super stinkers like Gosick and Heroman. And there's even some ??????? ????????? ????????? stuff like Un-Go.

Nothing consistent about the badness! >_<

what's funny is that most of bones show has very strong beginnings, like Xam'd had a very interesting world, when star driver introduce the characters at the early episodes and E7AO's mysteries (is it a sequel or prequel!?).

so much potential lost, it's really a pity sigh...

AniHawk

just skimming through this, and it seems like people are reacting the same way i reacted to the original show.

i am curious about the original show, because there must have been some sort of deeper thing i was missing, but it was hard for me not to be distracted by the more immediate things like holland beating up a kid. i dunno, i guess it's a cultural thing i don't understand.

i saw the whole thing and... nothing. could someone explain what they liked about that show so much that this one fails at? i'm interested in hearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom