• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

I wouldn't mind something like this but a little bigger, complete with bigger sticks...

ERZouWz.jpg

Do want.

Of course... I don't think I'm buying a PS4 right away (buying too much hardware lately! haven't even played my soon year-old Vita much to justify it yet). But I do hope it has a GamePad as sexy as that.

Just put forward your idea. :p

Okay:
- Remove the D-Pad, replacing it with a spherical multitouch screen. (or no screen like backtouch).
- On the right four physical buttons that can display multiple control interfaces.
- Remove Start/Select.

The second/third are just wee ideas to go with the first but the basic idea is to replace the unused space on the left for a multitouch screen more for functionality than anything else.

803Jcg.png

I've thought about virtual buttons but I don't think they'd get much love unless they can find a way to do them really well. But trying to fit a thumb pad, buttons and a stick all within comfortable reach is difficult.
If I was doing it like that I'd put the sticks above with a long trackpad below split by a line down the middle so it can be thought of as two pads or one depending on the game.

Mileena

Banned
Okay:
- Remove the D-Pad, replacing it with a spherical multitouch screen. (or no screen like backtouch).
- On the right four buttons that can display multiple control interfaces.
- Remove Start/Select.

The second/third are just wee ideas to go with the first but the basic idea is to replace the unused space on the left for a multitouch screen more for functionality than anything else.

803Jcg.png
Holy shit

This sounds awful

iceatcs

Okay:
- On the right four buttons that can display multiple control interfaces.
- Remove Start/Select.

803Jcg.png

If only it can pop up physical buttons. I might like to try.

Oppo

What do people think of having your thumb's position being shown on an input box on the tv, could that feel as natural as a mouse? The technology is there for the tv to show a cursor above a keypad where your thumb is hovering. Once you'd adjusted it would be like using a smart phone without having to look away from the tv.

Or more like, exactly the way a laptop trackpad works now.

I know they won't but I really hope they don't do the offset sticks. To this day I've yet to read a proper reasoning for that move.

It would be pretty interesting if they did do some sort of Vita variant, with no CPU internally or whatever.

iceatcs

The ones on the right would be physical buttons. But yeah for this design its saying no to the d-pad which would be controversial.

Yeah, what's I meant. The former d-pad area could have tactile layer for pop up physical buttons. You can have D-pad or any layout or nothing at all.

Or more like, exactly the way a laptop trackpad works now..

I mean showing your thumbs location when with it's 20mm above the pad, so you can see what you'll be touching before you touch it.

I've seen decent arguments for non symmetrical sticks but when people specifically ask for it because of fps games it does melt my brain.

gcubed

I highly doubt there is a screen. It's going to be a bigger control with slightly tweaked placement for non child hands

quest

Not Banned from OT
I hope it is just a regular controller with much better ergonomics. I prefer the 360 control pad by a mile for most games. Just give me the D pad of the saturn/genesis 2 good analog sticks that are layed out better and a few face buttons/triggers.

Good. The dualshock is outdated and has the worst ergonomics of the three current systems.

I want wider grips, stiff analog sticks, actual triggers with actual resistance. Put the sticks up or down, but they must be symmetrical.

I'm thinking it'll be like the ds3 but wider for the screen and with better shoulder buttons/triggers and better ergonomics. They'll leave the analog and button layout the same.

Am I the only one that looks at this pic and thinks the analog sticks are in the wrong place..? lol
I'm with you on that one. I know it's just s PS pic, but if they went with a setup like that they'd need to put the sticks at the top becuz you'd be gaming with stretched index fingers on this. That's not ideal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If a screen is expensive, how about integrating the PS3 chat pad? That lets you type with physical keys, but also doubles up as a trackpad

Why is it that people used to complain about the size of original Xbox controller but suddenly these monstrosities that are 2 feet wide are suddenly acceptable?

I don't like my hands that far apart, if the Wii U controller is indicative of the PS4 controller's design then I'm not going to find it comfortable. Comfort and usability should be the main factors involved in designing a controller in my opinion.

Ashes

Banned
I think I like Neptune's mockup the best.
Needs console size buttons and analogue sticks, but apart from that I think it might be good shout.

When they say radically different and it doesn't resemble a Dual Shock I take it to mean it doesn't resemble a dual shock, not a dual shock with a small addition in the middle or a stick swapped round.

Updated my design into a terrified rabbit.

Twin track pads with mid-air thumb detection, no screen.

I'd like to hear your reasoning why it isn't going to happen. It makes sense for the Wii U to be the lead platform for multiplatform titles this gen.

The Wii U is going to be the market leader, it's also going to be the least powerful system and it's got a similar architecture to what we believe the PS4 and 720 are going to have. It would make sense for developers to code for the least powerful system and supply up-ports to the other two so that they can be certain that said games can work fine on the weakest system of the three.

The same thing happened with the PS2 for the vast majority of titles during the 6th gen, the PS2 was the lead platform and supplied up-ports to the PC, Xbox and Gamecube.

None of this speaks of reality.

Sid

Okay:
- On the right four physical buttons that can display multiple control interfaces.
- Remove Start/Select.

803Jcg.png
Fucking god awful idea,jeez dude.

Is there some concrete evidence to say that the PS4 controller will have a screen? I'd be very surprised if it does. It's so unnecessary. The Wii U is proof of this. ¬_¬

I dont think having a screen in the controller is a worthwhile addition. If Nintendo cant use it right then its not worth it. Its just too detracting for single player games having to jump from your TV to your controller and the local multiplayer audience just isnt worth going after any more.

I would take biometrics or enhanced motion controls over it.

Give me two nun-chucks/nav controllers with motion sensors and a better PS eye camera and your set. They will have two sticks and all the buttons for "hardcore" games and you have motion for more casual games and developers who want to try something new and different.

Add some biometric stuff or grip sensors and you might have something exciting.

Fou-Lu

A touch screen gives you access to menus on a seperate screen, as well as things like maps, which is actually really nice. Plus it gives you a functionally infinite number of inputs. And if Sony were to allow you to use multiple controllers unlike Nintendo then it would be incredibly for local multiplayer games of all kinds.

Ravage

The most significant benefit of having a screen on the controller is the addition of touch control, which solves the limitation of conventional controller in manipulating menus and keyboard. Asynchronous gaming and '2nd screen' are nothing more than fringe benefits.

I hope Microsoft doesn't sink too much of their console pricing into Kinect 2. If Sony goes this direction they will have to limit power due to the cost of this type of controller. I want power more than gimmicks.

Izayoi

Banned
Let's hope it's not the Dualshock again. At least offer some kind of official solution that's larger, the DS3 feels like a tiny, cheap toy.

This question always pops up in my head...Why is it a good idea to force the player to look away from the T.V?

In certain situations it is -- particularly browsing a web store easily, typing in information.

I suspect this is what will be the utility of the touch screen - applications where touch is easier to navigate than a typical controller interface. Sony wants to make it as easy as possible to buy content on the store, and you can only really do that with a touch interface.

Sony could also keep all the social features and a large number of UI elements on the tablet rather than the main screen. No need to "pause" the game while sending a friend request.

I also think the bigger goal is to allow PS4 games to stream to the controller when you're not in the same room as the TV (similar to Wii U), and also as a portal to Vita software.

Here's my mock-up:

Literally is just a stretched 360 controller with the Vita's controls slapped on top, but you get the idea. I'm not sure about the placement of the Start, Select and PS buttons. I'm not really keen on them.

In my head it's a tad bigger than your standard controller but not full on WiiU GamePad size. Sort of in-between. Touchscreen would be used for text, social stuff, OS menu stuff both in and out of game and developers could also utilise it for DS-like bottom screens if they wanted to. It's not a massive screen but it could work. Biometrics would just be on the sides and back of the controller where your palms/fingers are.

It is a bit 360-ish I admit. I may try to base it more off the DualShock's design later.

None of this speaks of reality.

Like I've said, I'd like to hear anyone's reasoning why not. And no, 'Just because Nintendo' doesn't count. All I've read when mentioning this is comments such as yours or the other one I quoted without giving any reasoning behind it. Why not..?

Like I've already stated the PS2 was the lead platform for the vast majority of 6th gen multiplatform titles, supplying up-ports to the PC, Xbox and Gamecube. The Wii U being the platform with the largest marketshare, being the least powerful of the three and having a similar architecture to the other two systems makes it an ideal candidate for supplying up-ports to the PS4 and 720. A developer won't want to develop a game on the PS4 or 720 as the lead platform and find that the Wii U isn't powerful enough to down-port the game to.

Publishers with any sense (an oxymoron I know lol) will always want a U SKU for their current gen titles due to cheaper development costs. Ubisoft said that it cost them 5m Euros to port games from the PS3/360 to the U (might have been Assassin's Creed III but I will stand to be corrected) and developers save the cost of forking out on an extra licence for Autodesk middleware, Havok middleware, Greenhill's MULTI IDE and the Unity 4 engine due to getting a licence for each for free with every devkit.

I think my reasoning is pretty sound but I'm willing to listen to alternative reasoning from others, and so far I've read none at all when mentioning this.

Like I've said, I'd like to hear anyone's reasoning why not. And no, 'Just because Nintendo' doesn't count. All I've read when mentioning this is comments such as yours or the other one I quoted without giving any reasoning behind it. Why not..?

Like I've already stated the PS2 was the lead platform for the vast majority of 6th gen multiplatform titles, supplying up-ports to the PC, Xbox and Gamecube. The Wii U being the platform with the largest marketshare, being the least powerful of the three and having a similar architecture to the other two systems makes it an ideal candidate for supplying up-ports to the PS4 and 720. A developer won't want to develop a game on the PS4 or 720 as the lead platform and find that the Wii U isn't powerful enough to down-port the game to.

Publishers with any sense (an oxymoron I know lol) will always want a U SKU for their current gen titles due to cheaper development costs. Ubisoft said that it cost them 5m Euros to port games from the PS3/360 to the U (might have been Assassin's Creed III but I will stand to be corrected) and developers save the cost of forking out on an extra licence for Autodesk middleware, Havok middleware, Greenhill's MULTI IDE and the Unity 4 engine due to getting a licence for each for free with every devkit.

I think my reasoning is pretty sound but I'm willing to listen to alternative reasoning from others, and so far I've read none at all when mentioning this.

You're are doing a very flawed comparison. The market is completely different then it was 13 years ago. Sony's two main competitors either a) had no userbase b) had the worst third party support in it's history. None of these advantages that Sony had applies to Nintendo today. Not to mention that the ps1 was the undisputed king in third party support, while the Wii was the opposite.

Third parties couldn't care less about a big userbase if there isn't a market there to sell their games.

Boss Man

So I guess the idea here is that the PS Vita will be positioned as a PS4 controller that you can also carry around to play games and stuff. Which is actually not a bad angle.

I wonder what we're talking about with this LCD screen though. I hope it's not so much as to become a focal point of gameplay, and only for multimedia conveniences while you can use a cheaper controller without a screen just the same.

What is the point of this screen?

With a screen that small, what use would it be? An ammo counter? A compass? Battery life of the controller?
Touch-screen keyboard.

A+ for bravery though.

haha I know! My slightly frightened 'does it really need a d-pad?' was a bit obvious I suppose :D

They could have a periphery for them though or a 'classic controller' thats just a D3.

Here's my mock-up:

Very Vita. I thought about keeping the lower controls, but am not sure that works with a larger/heavier device. Only reason for keeping it that way is to not have a complete WiiU copy.

It's better than virtually all the other controllers in here so maybe you shouldn't... ;)

I just tried and it looked horrendous...lol

More fiddly to alter in Photoshop than the 360 controller which made it difficult to begin with, plus I found it hard fitting a screen inside due to the basic shape of the controller, stretched or not.

Top Bottom