• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

Why would it drive you insane? touch menu inventory management would be way easy. They could also use that space for extra buttons.

The concept of a touch menu interface for inventory management does sound good.

Having to change the way I've sat when playing video games for the last nineteen years is what would drive me insane. Even when I use Playstation Move I sit in exactly the same position, arms resting on legs, sat at the edge of the chair, subtle wrist movements. It was one of the things that made me plump for it.

I know it sounds picky, but I am a creature of habit. I really find it hard to concentrate on a game for a significant period of time if I'm not in my optimal position. I get restless and play for smaller periods of time or don't bother at all.

Even when I'm browsing the store I sit in my 'gaming position'.

Ashes

Banned
The concept of a touch menu interface for inventory management does sound good.

Having to change the way I've sat when playing video games for the last nineteen years is what would drive me insane. Even when I use Playstation Move I sit in exactly the same position, arms resting on legs, sat at the edge of the chair, subtle wrist movements. It was one of the things that made me plump for it.

I know it sounds picky, but I am a creature of habit. I really find it hard to concentrate on a game for a significant period of time if I'm not in my optimal position. I get restless and play for smaller periods of time or don't bother at all.

Even when I'm browsing the store I sit in my 'gaming position'.

I guess that makes sense. But honestly this sounds rather like the people who pooh poohed the idea of a tablet. Why would you need that? Laptops are way better they said. Sure these are legitimate concerns, but now 2/3 next gen consoles have control pads with screens on them.
I hope Sony find a cheap way to do this.

Pachimari

I'm all for a touchscreen on the new controller, as I would love it for maps, positions, substitutions, inventories etc. The problem is I invested in a HMZ-T1 also for PS4 and I won't be able to see a touchscreen if I'm wearing that. =(

That said, Dual Shock is what comes closest to perfection and I want that design for next-gen again. Just add the Vita d-pad, better triggers and analog sticks and I'm set.

Ashes

Banned
I'm all for a touchscreen on the new controller, as I would love it for maps, positions, substitutions, inventories etc. The problem is I invested in a HMZ-T1 also for PS4 and I won't be able to see a touchscreen if I'm wearing that. =(

You'll still have move? And the dual shock.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
More I think about it, more I think a touchscreen on the controller presents a lot of opportunities on the platform front but also a lot of (maybe short term) potential for 'mess'.

It raises particular questions about the Mobile/Vita strategy and whether we might see some abrupt changes short or mid-term, IMO.

On an unrelated note, if there is a touchscreen on the controller, all controllers, expect Vita's UI to carry-over to Orbis. The OS will probably be an expanded version of Vita's, tweaked for a home multimedia box with a fixed net connection.

I guess that makes sense. But honestly this sounds rather like the people who pooh poohed the idea of a tablet. Why would you need that? Laptops are way better they said. Sure these are legitimate concerns, but now 2/3 next gen consoles have control pads with screens on them.

I use touch screens on everything else and enjoy them. Home consoles though will definitely require me to change my long held habits.

Will be interesting to see if one person can use the Orbis controller and another person use a Vita in the same game. After all, the Vita player can just tap the back touchscreens for trigger functionality. Could be a nice way of Vita owners not having to buy multiple Orbis controllers on top of their Vita purchase.

Haven't tried Vita as a cross controller yet. How is the latency?

daveo42

Banned

This is my biggest concern with adding a touchscreen. Even though the price of LCD/LED/OLED displays have comes down, adding a touchscreen could be cost-prohibitive. This is even when you consider they wouldn't need to add all that much to the current controller to begin with.

$40-50 for a new DS3 right now is bad. I could see this thing being at least $100 at launch and drive up the cost of the PS4 $50-100 ($450-500 launch price based on the $399 assumption).

It's an awesome idea, but if it can't be done on the cheap without sacrificing quality or components it shouldn't be done.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Do you have a touchscreen phone or something? Surely you're not used to this. Wiping things clean after awhile seems like something that would be accepted by now.

have you seen his house?

dusty-room.jpg

Ashes

Banned
More I think about it, more I think a touchscreen on the controller presents a lot of opportunities on the platform front but also a lot of (maybe short term) potential for 'mess'.

It raises particular questions about the Mobile/Vita strategy and whether we might see some abrupt changes short or mid-term, IMO.

Mobile/ Vita strategy?

I think the only thing ps mobile has going for it is that it is available. Sony really don't have an iPhone or nexus or galaxy phone at the top yet. Maybe this will start to change with Xperia Z though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mobile/ Vita strategy?

Mobile has longer term potential. Vita...? Hmmm. If Orbis is getting a touchscreen on a controller I think it raises some questions about how the relationship between all these platforms will play out. Vita as an independent platform starts looking more and more redundant IMO.

Valnen

Do you have a touchscreen phone or something? Surely you're not used to this. Wiping things clean after awhile seems like something that would be accepted by now.

I don't own a smartphone. And I dread the fingerprints it will get on it. Fuck carrying microfiber cloths with me everywhere =(. Hopefully the controller has a glass screen at least so they're easy to wipe off.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Haven't tried Vita as a cross controller yet. How is the latency?
Id really like to know this as well. If there IS noticeable input delay now with vita>ps3 I'm sure that could be improved or even eliminated with ps4.

The controller doesn't need to look like PS Vita, WiiU Pad or an iPad nor does it need to be used the same way as either of them. Navigating the OS will be miles better with the touchscreen and typing on a software keyboard will be miles better than using DPad or an external keyboard accessory.
It won't be better with a screen as tiny as the one in your images. Imagine trying to fit 30+ virtual buttons in the same space taken by d-pad and face buttons.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
The way this news sounds when you read it is like if Sony is releasing a dumb down version of the Vita as their controller. I can see it it happening take out almost all the internals except the screen. For people that have the vita it would be a boon since then the vita could also be used as a main controller. Offcourse the analog sticks and D-pad and buttons on the vita are way to small for console gaming. There's that to deal with.

I don't really care about a new design, so long as it remains as functional. But to points two and three - a big no thank you.

Opportunity cost. Any dollar going into controller gimmicks is a dollar not going into silicon.

Innovate in software, with the cloud, with services and distribution models, innovate in game design. Innovation isn't synonymous with throwing shit in a controller or adding screens. Sigh.

I pretty much agree with you. I prefer a no-bullshit, functional, well-built and comfortable controller that works well for nearly all types of games. No screen, no motion, no touchpad, no bio-sensors. Rechargeable and easily removable batteries (either li-ion or NiMH).

Console hardware - same sentiment. No exotic architecture, make it as powerful as possible while keeping power consumption down and costs reasonable, standardized ports (USB, HDMI, etc.), standardized 2.5" HDD or SSD that the user can swap out. Small form factor. Modern look that doesn't look bland, but still blends in well with your other electronics (AV receiver, speakers, TV, etc.). Familiar, easy to develop for APIs and tools.

Innovate in OS features, software, services and games.

Ashes

Banned
Mobile has longer term potential. Vita...? Hmmm. If Orbis is getting a touchscreen on a controller I think it raises some questions about how the relationship between all these platforms will play out. Vita as an independent platform starts looking more and more redundant IMO.

Vita is a portable platform and it has a market like the game boy had a market, like the 3ds has a market. Personally, I think there is another market for people who like smaller screen games. You know like Pokemon, Professor Layton etc. and Vita and 3ds having dedicated controls are a rise above smart phones in that regard. But I get what you're saying though. There are big question marks there.

Ardenyal

I hope they'll ship a fairly traditional controller. Then if they really want a touch screen sell it as an accessory like the chat pad. Clip it on the controller and touch till you drop.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vita is a portable platform and it has a market like the game boy had a market, like the 3ds has a market. Personally, I think there is another market for people who like smaller screen games. You know like Pokemon, Professor Layton etc. and Vita and 3ds having dedicated controls are a rise above smart phones in that regard. But I get what you're saying though. There are big question marks there.

It's possible Sony has faith that there is a market for a standalone handheld platform - or two, as the case is - and will stick with it on those terms. That is definitely a scenario.

But there is another where that confidence is weaker.

I think a lot of people bought Vita as much for the prospect of taking 'good games' with them away from the TV or to other locations as being able to play while travelling. A primary USP for Vita is the idea of higher-fidelity handheld games than is offered on mobile or other handhelds.

A PS Orbis controller as described would enable you to play the highest fidelity Playstation games off TV in your own home - as well as Vita, and PSMobile stuff theoretically - AND let you take all your Playstation with you on the road, effectively. You might not be able to play on a train, but playing in your hotel via remote play or cloud will be possible etc. It's possible Orbis's controller could be pushed as the one-stop-shop for Playstation, working with or without a local box.

Vita I think could become stuck in a weird middle ground between PSMobile and PSOrbis. One that it may appear to Sony isn't gaining market traction. Some changes to PSMobile and Orbis having this kind of controller could potentially give them a path out of that puzzle, but like i say, it might be a little messy.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I think it will be more like this:

ps4_temp.jpg

So it's big enough to be used for inventory, maps, play calling and even to control some gameplay aspects. It will be considered an "evolution" of the controller without sacrificing the stuff that's proven to work.

Also when you're playing online you can have that screen be a video chat. The touchpad on the back could be a mirror of the front and therefore while you're playing a game, you can use your fingers on the back to touch the screen and press the location of the items showing on the front by touching the back (ie you never have to take your hands off the controller to use the front touch screen once you become familiar with pressing the rear. Each controller would then be, at a minimum, $80 to $90 but for the advancement in functionality... might be worth it. Although I don't know where their "Move" functionality fits in.

Vashetti

Banned
Really hope the touchscreen rumour is false.

We don't need Sony chasing trends and spoiling the Dualshock.

Just make the DS slightly bigger (around X360/Wii U Pro controller size), and improve the triggers.

quKQ9.jpg

I like the mock-up on the left (though I'd personally prefer the controller to not have a touch screen).

That's not a screen. Rumour is the dev kits have a touchpad and no screen, they may have given up on the screen idea 6 months ago for all we know but it could be something they'd be able to quickly throw in if the Wii U proved to be a big hit (...)
Was just thinking If they had gaze tracking they could have a screen which only turns on when you look at it, but sounds unlikely.

I want a touchscreen for the simple fact that that way typing would be much much easier. It would really enhance media features, being able to pick vids and search much more easily.

omonimo

Banned
& everytime sony tries to imitate nintendo. It's really frustrating, not need of that. I just hope will not be like the horrid wiiU gamepad, I don't want to play my games with a tablet.

Taiser

why the fuck would you want to copy that failed WiiU gimmick, Sony??

rather put another 1-2 gb of gddr5 into the console to make it more sub720p/25fps/tearing proof.

omonimo

Banned
°°ToMmY°°;46628268 said:
I want a touchscreen for the simple fact that that way typing would be much much easier. It would really enhance media features, being able to pick vids and search much more easily.

I'm fine with that, but that's all. I just hope doesn't try to repeat the sixaxis bullshit story (but indeed the rumour suggest otherwise)

omonimo

Banned
why the fuck would you want to copy that failed WiiU gimmick, Sony??

rather put another 1-2 gb of gddr5 into the console to make it more sub720p/25pfs/tearing proof.

We don't know yet the spec of ps4. I find this complain about RAM really absurd.

What do people think of having your thumb's position being shown on an input box on the tv, could that feel as natural as a mouse? The technology is there for the tv to show a cursor above a keypad where your thumb is hovering. Once you'd adjusted it would be like using a smart phone without having to look away from the tv.

as a moderate Nintendo fanboy I would love Sony to blatantly copy the wiiu gamepad .
The Wii U gamepad works really well. A n alliance in controller design will help developers to focus on gameplay with no need to focus on adapting anything to suit different controllers at once.

Yeah, good luck with that.

I'd like to hear your reasoning why it isn't going to happen. It makes sense for the Wii U to be the lead platform for multiplatform titles this gen.

The Wii U is going to be the market leader, it's also going to be the least powerful system and it's got a similar architecture to what we believe the PS4 and 720 are going to have. It would make sense for developers to code for the least powerful system and supply up-ports to the other two so that they can be certain that said games can work fine on the weakest system of the three.

The same thing happened with the PS2 for the vast majority of titles during the 6th gen, the PS2 was the lead platform and supplied up-ports to the PC, Xbox and Gamecube.

Top Bottom