• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

yeah no screen on the controller please.. for me its the most useless idea ever. the last thing i want to do when gaming is look down on my controller all the time. i want to be focused on whats happening on the big screen and forget that im even holding a controller.

please Sony, dont do it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
One thing I was thinking about, along the lines of cloud services...

...the idea before came up about bundling a PS4 controller in with bravias, or their tablets etc. etc. and letting you play through their cloud service.

If there's a screen on that controller they could make the controller a stand alone thin client for PS4 games over the cloud. So you would have the option to use it with another device, like a TV, that has a 'PS Cloud' client or you could use it just as it is, with its own screen. You don't have to have a PS Cloud supporting TV or blu-ray player or PC or whatever.

And as a PS4 owner and cloud subscriber it means you could just take your controller with you when travelling and play your library off the cloud, without any compromise on input (meaning in terms of features, rather than necessarily input latency :p)

The kinks here are 1) cost (you'd need a little bit of processing gubbins in the controller as well as the screen to do the cloud streaming) and 2) where does Vita fit? I would think they would be trying to motivate use of Vita as people's 'travelling' companion for playing PS4 games. And 3) possible confusion about whether you NEED a PS4 controller to play games off their cloud service, if in fact there are fallback options.

Persona86

Banned
If they can produce these for sub $40 im okey with it.
If not and the 720 will also have such a controller next gen will not be for my cause shit will break at least 3~4 times with my.. :(

That's like £25, lol not gonna happen. The PS3 controller is still over £30 over here.

Perkel

Banned
dpad from vita, bigger frame no deadzone in analogs.

that is all i want.

Fuck trigers ! Gas/reverse pedals fol life !

ggl04.jpg

Make it bigger, add R2/L2 and clickable analog sticks and we have a winner.

Vita is a mini PS4 controller, ma gawd.

DBT85

I wouldn't mind something like this but a little bigger, complete with bigger sticks...

ERZouWz.jpg

My personal wish is for the pack in controller to have no screen. As others have said I want as much money as possible to be spent on the hardware inside the console. They should then make sure that every phone they release, every tablet they make and if possible 3rd party tablets and phones, are all able to interact with the PS4. Send/recieve video/audio/pictures, control it for media a lá the XBMC remote on Android, use them as a trackpad for the PS4 etc.

However, IF I have to have a screen in the pack in controller, then something like this with the changes you suggest would be acceptable. With most of the Vita guts ripped out it would cut the cost a fair amount and with all that space empty they could put in a larger battery to boot. Again, it should be able to send and receive media, remote play ALL games that are playable on the PS4, etc etc. Bigger sticks, work out the triggers, bigger dpad and buttons.

Good god, no. I don't want Sony to not spend like half the cost of the machine into controller instead of the main console. This is so blatant, it's hilarious.

With the bulk of the Vita innards ripped out (no need for a quad core cpu/gpu, memory card slot, game cart slot, rear touch) it would drop the cost a fair amount and they don't even have to use the Vita screen if they didn't want to.

It would still be a more expensive controller than I'd like, but I can see the advantages of it for being able to use the screen to navigate the PS4 OS, controlling media, remote play of games etc.

What in my opinion would be a silly mistake would be putting in a tiny ass screen. Go 4-5" or don't bother.

That's like £25, lol not gonna happen. The PS3 controller is still over £30 over here.

And they are making bank off it. Using how much the DS3 costs to us as an indicator of how much a screen based DS4 might cost Sony to pack in isn't going to get us close. They could then charge a fortune for second ones and keep selling the DS3.

Hazanko

Banned
yeah no screen on the controller please.. for me its the most useless idea ever. the last thing i want to do when gaming is look down on my controller all the time. i want to be focused on whats happening on the big screen and forget that im even holding a controller.

please Sony, dont do it.

Same, it's just not worth it plus I can't see the battery life being any good with having one. I also want the console hardware to have as much power as possible, having a controller like that will take money away from that.

7threst

There won't be a screen on the controller, relax. SCE left that route open because of the Wii U, but when they now see it failing hard they'll be really happy that they can let it go, it would only add to the cost of the controller anyway.

The concept of a screen on a controller isn't failing, a wild range of games making use of something like that aren't there yet but that doesn't mean there is no future in a controller like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does go this way with their new controller.

Shtof

The concept of a screen on a controller isn't failing, a wild range of games making use of something like that aren't there yet but that doesn't mean there is no future in a controller like that. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does go this way with their new controller.

Controller with a screen is like driving and texting at the same time, it's just not a good idea at all.

orioto

Good Art™
This screen controller is a big possibility cause let's face it, Sony and Microsoft fear Nintendo innovations (even when they mislead them).

spwolf

LCD touchscreen allows asymmetric navigation, so you can find a Netflix movie to watch while someone else is finishing playing a game, or even before deciding to turn the TV on.

Plus search and typing would be easier and faster.

But if it was too small to keep costs down it might be unattractive or difficult to use. And if it is big (like vita size) then you start to want to stream the PS4 game to it like the wiiU and that could undermine vita.

touchscreen would be good input device for sure... but there is a question of cost. How much does WiiU controller cost again? Not cheap I bet.

Shtof

This screen controller is a big possibility cause let's face it, Sony and Microsoft fear Nintendo innovations (even when they mislead them).

Have you seen the sales data for the Wii U? It's not like Sony and MS fear the Wii U anymore.

Seeing as the DualShock3 is probably my all time favorite controller overall, cant say I'm excited about this news :(

Still though, please, if you are gonna go for the 360-esque design, stick strictly to the ergonomics only. Fuck those stiff, uncomfortable sticks/buttons

Mushroom tops for life. At least Nintendo understood that with Wii U controllers.

velociraptor

Seeing as the DualShock3 is probably my all time favorite controller overall, cant say I'm excited about this news :(

Still though, please, if you are gonna go for the 360-esque design, stick strictly to the ergonomics only. Fuck those stiff, uncomfortable sticks/buttons

Mushroom tops for life. At least Nintendo understood that with Wii U controllers.

Absolutely. The buttons and sticks on the 360 pad are horrendous.

I don't know about that, but costs aside, it's just a pretty good idea either way. Standard HUD-removal and persistent maps aside, it can lead to many interesting ideas for both interfaces and gameplay. Another thing I noticed the other day was how incredibly awkward it is when someone has to log in his PSN account in a room full of people, hoping no one would be able to see his password. Having all of that pushed to the smaller, private screen is a relatively elegant solution.

big youth

I've been saying it for years now, this will be the new traditional controller. it does everything past traditional controllers do and more. the extra screen is a keyboard, an interactive map (remember the Ghost Recon Online demo?), a semi-portable console, it allows asymmetrical gameplay, touch based games such as Drawn to Life and Canvas Curse, etc.

I had predicted that the vitality sensor might reappear in the Umote, but of course Nintendo likes to cut corners. if this rumor is to be believed, Sony is continuing their strategy of excess. An expensive controller like this could be the downfall of Orbis and Sony's game division. Will they release another big loss leader, or are they expecting people to bite on a $500 console in this economy?

7threst

I've been saying it for years now, this will be the new traditional controller. it does everything past traditional controllers do and more. the extra screen is a keyboard, an interactive map (remember the Ghost Recon Online demo?), a semi-portable console, it allows asymmetrical gameplay, touch based games such as Drawn to Life and Canvas Curse, etc.

Especially this. I only just noticed on Wii U how handy this is. I used to have a keyboard add-on on my PS3 controller but absolutely hated it. And I didn't want to have to use an extra keyboard just for typing messages.

Small touchscreen (psp 3000 screen sized? ) would make text chatting on console much easier as well as it could be used as additional buttons in games - like in vita where you can for example map start button to one of screen corners in psp games.

As long as they keep size in vita/psp + grip size and not some 10" monstrosity i'm fine with that.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I agree with this.

I prefer the concave sticks on the 360. I regularly found my thumbs slipping off the mushroom tops of the ps3 ones
(Probably just me)

As for buttons, both had pros and cons. Overall i felt the ps3 controller could have been a tad bigger. If the ps4 controller addresses this issue i'll be happy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I had predicted that the vitality sensor might reappear in the Umote, but of course Nintendo likes to cut corners. if this rumor is to be believed, Sony is continuing their strategy of excess. An expensive controller like this could be the downfall of Orbis and Sony's game division. Will they release another big loss leader, or are they expecting people to bite on a $500 console in this economy?

I think a possible angle is a <=$99 entry point for their new platform, actually.

PS4: Cloud Edition - this controller, <=$99, Network/Cloud sub. The controller is an all-in-one unit, thin client, even the screen! No need for a PSCloud enabled TV or PC or BD Player.
PS4: Local Box Edition - the traditional setup, the box, the controller, more regular console pricing

But...that's just an immediate thought. I'm sure there are weaknesses here vs other options for their cloud strategy. Though it would be one way to make sure everyone playing PS4 games off cloud had the necessary controller if it has some weird nubbins like biometrics that couldn't be emulated on other devices, and would give them a little bit of hardware revenue off those users down the line.

1-D_FTW

Dreamcast had the same thing. If Apple and Google never existed, I'd call Nintendo's WiiU innovative. But this was them simply trying to avoid obsolesce.

When Nintendo ditches both their systems in 3 years and releases a console/handheld hybrid, that won't be innovation either. It'll simply be reacting to the marketplace and trying to avoid being cut out from the new market realities.

I'm interested to see what this looks like, but I fear screen and biosensor integration on the controller may make the system more expensive than it needs to be. especially bio-sensor stuff, that's too ahead of our time.

7threst

Dreamcast had the same thing. If Apple and Google never existed, I'd call Nintendo's WiiU innovative. But this was them simply trying to avoid obsolesce.

When Nintendo ditches both their systems in 3 years and releases a console/handheld hybrid, that won't be innovation either. It'll simply be reacting to the marketplace and trying to avoid being cut out from the new market realities.

Nah, not really. It's easy saying something like this after a console is released, but to actually do something like this as a company, to make it work, is an innovation in itself I think.

It's not that there is a market where tablets are popular, releasing a controller with tablet-like functions is per se a reaction. There is more to that I think, because you also have the console unit and the games to support controls like that. If a company can pull that off (not sure if Nintendo pulled it off succesfully, too early to tell maybe), it's pretty innovative in itself.

Eurogamer and CVG suggest:

- new design
- biometric sensors in grips or back
- lcd touchscreen
I don't really care about a new design, so long as it remains as functional. But to points two and three - a big no thank you.

Opportunity cost. Any dollar going into controller gimmicks is a dollar not going into silicon.

Innovate in software, with the cloud, with services and distribution models, innovate in game design. Innovation isn't synonymous with throwing shit in a controller or adding screens. Sigh.

7threst

Innovation isn't synonymous with throwing shit in a controller or adding screens. Sigh.

Yeah this. You have to have an ecosystem properly supporting that new way of control. A console might be really innovative but if it doesn't bring awesome gaming experiences then there is no point in being innovative.

Maxrunner

please Sony, dont do it.

Most of the times you dont even know what you want.

pants

Dean_Ambrose_Nope.gif

Not playing with some shitty fangled controller. Will reserve judgement till I see the thing but I'm not confident.

velociraptor

I feel the potential for a fucked up controller is pretty high.

I do not welcome change.

I'll be MORE than happy if they stuck with an updated version of the current design, and no more than that.

I am guessing Microsoft will try to copy this controller now the word is out. Who agrees with me? Their next controller will also have biometric sensors and a lcd :p

That's hilarious because truth is if this controller is real, Sony is the one (once again) copying from Nintendo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Absolutely. The buttons and sticks on the 360 pad are horrendous.

Best thing about 360 pad is stick placement and shape. DS3 has better buttons and d-pad. Triggers are a preference but I like the 360 ones a little better but they are not as rigid for grip as they should be. With the trigger add-on for the DS3, they are better than 360 triggers.

UberTag

I feel the potential for a fucked up controller is pretty high.

I do not welcome change.
Controller innovation scares and frightens me.
I don't want no LCD touchscreen or biometric grips or analog triggers or vibrating controllers or sixaxis motion sensors or 8 buttons or dual analog joysticks.
This is all too complicated and will take my attention away from the TV.

All I need is this...

usb_joystick.jpg

This worked perfectly fine in the 1980s. Can play a mean game of Pac-Man, yessiree bob.

You guys should spend some time with the Wii U and the controller. Not every single person will like the screen, but most will I bet. It's been awesome.

kinggroin

Banned
Some negative Nancy's in here.

Worried about specs being compromised for the potential tablet controller is too late anyway. Specs are probably already set in stone.

If we see Sony's take on something similar to the Wii U, and they ape off-tv play, there's no doubt about it. I'm in day one. The benefits of that screen with the Wii U have already proven to be invaluable that its become a bullet point to hit concerning me potentially buying another console. Give it an honest chance guys, you may be surprised.

I don't mind a new controller, but I really dislike the Wii U controller for certain games. For the types of games I usually play, it just doesn't feel good to hold.

When playing shooters, for example, I sit close to the edge of my seat with my arms resting on my knees, hands rather low. If the screen does come into play heavily, I will have to look down and up all the time just to manage inventory/touch interactions and that'll wind me up.

I like the sound of the biometric sensors though. Will be interesting to see what they do with those.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't mind a new controller, but I really dislike the Wii U controller for certain games. For the types of games I usually play, it just doesn't feel good to hold.

When playing shooters, for example, I sit close to the edge of my seat with my arms resting on my knees, hands rather low. If the screen does come into play heavily, I will have to look down and up all the time just to manage inventory/touch interactions and that'll wind me up.

I like the sound of the biometric sensors though. Will be interesting to see what they do with those.

You've made it clear you've never played the Wii-U then. There are two shooters (one fps and one twin stick) and neither one compromises your gameplay flow by making you look down for inventory or selecting anything.

Ashes

Banned
For all the classy style Sony show when designing smart phones and tvs, they seemed to have dropped the ball with gaming. Hopefully, the DS4, brings a lot of that style with it.

Yes, I'm suggesting that it would be nice to have a modern Sony designed aesthetically pleasing controller too.

You've made it clear you've never played the Wii-U then. There are two shooters (one fps and one twin stick) and neither one compromises your gameplay flow by making you look down for inventory or selecting anything.

Never said I've played a shooter on it. I was merely remarking that my default gaming position would make it awkward for me if I were to have to continuously look up and down for certain instances.

Imagine something like a theoretical Borderlands 3. A game like that, should the inventory management be done on a Wii U/Orbis controller set up would drive me insane. I'd have to change my default console gaming position that I've had since I was five.

I like to think that the DualShock 3 would still be an option and the game detect what controller I was using and adjust the menu/inventory management depending on what I was using. I'm likely asking for too much.

Ashes

Banned
Never said I've played a shooter on it. I was merely remarking that my default gaming position would make it awkward for me if I were to have to continuously look up and down for certain instances.

Imagine something like a theoretical Borderlands 3. A game like that, should the inventory management be done on a Wii U/Orbis controller set up would drive me insane.

Why would it drive you insane? touch menu inventory management would be way easy. They could also use that space for extra buttons.

dr_rus

I can live with a touch screen on a controller if it won't make the controller worse than current DS3 (too heavy, battery drains too fast, difficult to hold, etc.) I don't care about motion controls at all so anything that is Move-related is a no go from me. Sell that shit as an add-on for those who care. Personally, I'd be fine with just an updated DS3: better triggers, better d-pad, clicky buttons a la Vita and that's it.

Top Bottom