• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

If they are confident in what they have to show(which it seems they are) then its better to use the hype machine that is E3 for the build up and reveal of the system. I am sure they will be doing closed door stuff for developers next month and in the spring but I firmly believe we are not seeing this system till their conference. It also doesn't make sense for them to take mindshare away from their two biggest titles GOW and LOTU by announcing it this early.

I don't know if they'll reveal it early, however I do think it's time for companies to stop holding out on news and marketing campaigns until E3. It makes no sense anymore. The internet exist, these all encompasing events like E3 need to die, even more when the gaming industry has games coming out every week of the year. I wish that they were more like Apple/Google in their approach. Once you have something important to communicate rally the press to an event and stop being so inert the rest of the year waiting for E3.

Proxy

If they are confident in what they have to show(which it seems they are) then its better to use the hype machine that is E3 for the build up and reveal of the system. I am sure they will be doing closed door stuff for developers next month and in the spring but I firmly believe we are not seeing this system till their conference. It also doesn't make sense for them to take mindshare away from their two biggest titles GOW and LOTU by announcing it this early.

A conference is not enough time to disseminate all the info. It's a better move to show off the hardware and a few select games before E3 so they can focus entirely on games and services at E3.

Iacobellis

kaz3fjmm.jpg

ds4mclnf.jpg

It could be useful.

Parties, invites, text messaging, selecting songs to play in-game, checking your friends list, keeping track of trophies, using the webbrowser for guides, etc.

Holy... Shit! I never thought about it like this. Being able to do what you want on the small screen while the game is playing on the big one. Maybe that's why only 512MB will be reserved for the OS?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You can also put HUD on the controller so the TV looks more immersive and cinematic.
I honestly don't care about that, heh. I'd rather have that info on screen where I can reference it more quickly. Depends on the pace of the game.

if they must use a touch screen, do it like this. I don't want $150 controllers.
ps4h8fp7.png
Then what would be the point? I don't want a modern VMU, lol.

I don't know if they'll reveal it early, however I do think it's time for companies to stop holding out on news and marketing campaigns until E3. It makes no sense anymore. The internet exist, these all encompasing events like E3 need to die, even more when the gaming industry has games coming out every week of the year. I wish that they were more like Apple/Google in their approach. Once you have something important to communicate rally the press to an event and stop being so inert the rest of the year waiting for E3.

A conference is not enough time to disseminate all the info. It's a better move to show off the hardware and a few select games before E3 so they can focus entirely on games and services at E3.

I agree its not optimal and there certainly could be a better way for them to 'unveil' the system but too much hype is associated with E3 as a event. Its like videogame olympics with score sheets. Its ridiculous and at some point it needs to be replaced but it doesn't change the fact that E3 is when the industry anticipates the next big thing.

KAL2006

Banned
Holy... Shit! I never thought about it like this. Being able to do what you want on the small screen while the game is playing on the big one. Maybe that's why only 512MB will be reserved for the OS?

Why would you do this while a game is playing mid game. All those things like checking trophies, sending and checking messages you do when you pause the game. They could easily do this without the screen, by tapping the PS button for a quick menu, if the PS4 OS is fast and allows multi tasking like Vita the. It should be easy without a screen.

I agree its not optimal and there certainly could be a better way for them to 'unveil' the system but too much hype is associated with E3 as a event. Its like videogame olympics with score sheets. Its ridiculous and at some point it needs to be replaced but it doesn't change the fact that E3 is when the industry anticipates the next big thing.

I know, I wonder who will be the 1st of the big 3 to step out of E3. Going back to your point, the earlier you reveal your console, the more time you give to 3rd parties to start preparing content for launch and the initial window. It also allows you to prepare better for the games/Network features/services/etc. Because they can be holding back on entering these agreements to avoid disclosing information about the new system and hold back on the leaks.

sublimit

Banned

You have a point but maybe they think they will not have enough time in their E3 conference to properly announce both the PS4,important exclusive next gen games (like U4 for example) as well as whatever they plan to do with PSN,Gaikai and other services.

Oppo

Why would you do this while a game is playing mid game. All those things like checking trophies, sending and checking messages you do when you pause the game. They could easily do this without the screen, by tapping the PS button for a quick menu, if the PS4 OS is fast and allows multi tasking like Vita the. It should be easy without a screen.

On screen touch keyboard is reason alone to do it IMO. Sending invites, quick messages or tweets, opening web pages. It's not just about display state but input. The fact that the screen can be used to display some ancillary stuff other times is just gravy. It makes a huge difference on the Vita.

KAL2006

Banned
On screen touch keyboard is reason alone to do it IMO. Sending invites, quick messages or tweets, opening web pages. It's not just about display state but input. The fact that the screen can be used to display some ancillary stuff other times is just gravy. It makes a huge difference on the Vita.

Eh, like I said before that its not worth the hassle of controller being more expensive, worse battery for such a feature that is not game changing. Best thing to do is have a app for your smartphone to do those things.

Iacobellis

Eh, like I said before that its not worth the hassle of controller being more expensive, worse battery for such a feature that is not game changing. Best thing to do is have a app for your smartphone to do those things.

Hell to the no. I do not want to have my iPhone next to me while I play to send a message to someone on a totally different platform.

KAL2006

Banned
Why not notification for game invites and messages received on your phone would work a treat. Your phone vibrates and you check what up. Don't you ever get a text message while your gaming and you pause the game to quickly send a message, what would be different here.

ZaCH3000

kaz3fjmm.jpg

ds4mclnf.jpg

It could be useful.

Parties, invites, text messaging, selecting songs to play in-game, checking your friends list, keeping track of trophies, using the webbrowser for guides, etc.

I'm very impressed with the GAFFER who designed this. Now this doesn't seem gimmicky to me. I want this controller. Sony give that creator of this controller a job.

if they must use a touch screen, do it like this. I don't want $150 controllers.
ps4h8fp7.png

That is a really nice design. The texturing with the PS buttons looks solo awesome. It really looks refreshing without changing too much, although I'm not sure about the use of such a tiny screen. That texture though, very very nice.

I'm very impressed with the GAFFER who designed this. Now this doesn't seem gimmicky to me. I want this controller. Sony give that creator of this controller a job.

I'd take it, but I like the Wii U controller. I'm not sure the size of the screen but I'd want it large enough for off-TV play. I've learned how much I like off-tv play from owning a Wii U.

I really hope they don't put a screen on the controller.

let nintendo have their gimmick...

I don't see it as the gimmick that motion is. Off-TV has some nice features. That said, I do think they are better off making it an optional peripheral (even a Vita) so they can keep the price down.

If Sony can find a way to not make it seem to cheap, it would actually be pretty cool if they sold some sort of housing you could snap over a Vita to use as a controller. Utilize the screen, d-pad, triggers, buttons and have the analogs overlap. My only thought that would hurt would be the size, but we have the Wii U which couldn't be too far off...

Idk if this was posted earlier in the thread at all, my bad if it was

ZaCH3000

I'd take it, but I like the Wii U controller. I'm not sure the size of the screen but I'd want it large enough for off-TV play. I've learned how much I like off-tv play from owning a Wii U.

I haven't played with the Wii Pad yet, and I'm not knocking it by any means but the resources for off-TV play are better spent elsewhere in my opinion. I have a solid plasma TV that displays games just fine. The functionality shown on that mockup would bring more benefits than having the same game on two displays, again just in my opinion.

I haven't played with the Wii Pad yet, and I'm not knocking it by any means but the resources for off-TV play are better spent elsewhere in my opinion. I have a solid plasma TV that displays games just fine. The functionality shown on that mockup would bring more benefits than having the same game on two displays, again just in my opinion.

It's not resource intensive to display the same image on a second screen....

Edit: At least that was my understanding.

I loved the DS3...

It fit my Alex Smith hands perfectly. 360 controller is pretty cool too (dem triggers).

I do like for both to get new ones if on;y because that new controller feel is part of the new console experience.

Don't know if I want any screen stuff tho.

Mikey Jr.

If there is a standard DS4 PLUS the one with the screen, I'll be fine.

I don't give a crap about checking invites or syncing trophies. That is such a miniscule amount of time and effort and not worth having a screen right infront of your controller, not only reducing the battery life, making the controller more expensive, more fragile, bigger, and completely destroying the dual shock frame (if we use the gaffers mockup).

I see it as one of 2 ways. Either make the screen large enough to actually be able to use it in-game for gameplay purposes (ie wiiu pad size), or don't have it at all. This small screen is a waste of time/money.

Like I said, if there are 2 options, then fine. Make the DS4 non screen standard in box, and sell the LCD one separately.

I mean, its a fucking excellent mockup. I jsut don't want to be playing with a vita controller 24/7.

what if the screen was an attachment like the ds3 controller kepyboard? i think that would be cool, to have a detachable screen.

I prefer that to a screen in each one, It's certainly cheaper that way unless multiplayer games are based around having a screen. There's nothing stopping any console controller having a clip on screen module just for off-TV play, as long as the console contains or connects to a wifi chip to broadcast the picture.

How about putting buttons inside the touchpad surface? It is possible.

goodfella

On the subject of the unveiling, I would like to see them do a reveal in the same way that Apple would.

Just look at the Wii U reveal. There was not enough time to cover the new console in the keynote, especially as they had to cover the other Nintendo stuff.

Just pull an Apple, invite everyone to the event, take as long as you need to cover everything, show off the hardware and the software, sorted.

Mario007

On the subject of the unveiling, I would like to see them do a reveal in the same way that Apple would.

Just look at the Wii U reveal. There was not enough time to cover the new console in the keynote, especially as they had to cover the other Nintendo stuff.

Just pull an Apple, invite everyone to the event, take as long as you need to cover everything, show off the hardware and the software, sorted.
They already did this with the Vita, so I don't doubt they'll do it again, especially since the Vita event created a lot of positive buzz.

ZaCH3000

I mean, its a fucking excellent mockup. I jsut don't want to be playing with a vita controller 24/7.

lol Using the Vita controller more than actually playing video games is another of my concerns. I mean if I can browse GAF, read emails, text, Idk... whatever else it can do while the game is playing will no doubt distract me.

I'd like for everything to be on the screen so I would prefer a touchpad (easier input option for some scenarios) to a touch screen.

The mock-ups in this thread have been fantastic though.

Raoh

How about same controller with a screen add on where the chat pad went.

keypads.jpg

What is the point of this screen?

With a screen that small, what use would it be? An ammo counter? A compass? Battery life of the controller?

How about this...

Green.jpg.jpeg

images

Edit***
Found these images too..

What if they make it a cross between the dualshock and teh xperia play
when-your-thumbs-are-on-the-xperia-play-the-buttons-feel-smaller-than-on-a-playstation-controller-but-theyre-still-comfortable-to-press.jpg

Is a real sony patent? Sony's PS2-PSP Docking Patent
medium_pspcontrollerbig.jpg

picture.php

And finally techknott's PS3 Playstation 3 WVI
picture.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MHA7EqaVbk4#!

I know, I wonder who will be the 1st of the big 3 to step out of E3. Going back to your point, the earlier you reveal your console, the more time you give to 3rd parties to start preparing content for launch and the initial window. It also allows you to prepare better for the games/Network features/services/etc. Because they can be holding back on entering these agreements to avoid disclosing information about the new system and hold back on the leaks.

That's a good point. Do you think that could really hamper development that significantly though.

Raoh

I really need to chose between an S3 and a Note 2.
This is going to be an expensive year for me:
- 3DS going mental
- WiiU possibly
- PS4 possibly
- Aiming for a PC build in the Summer

Someones getting dropped :/

I just got my iPhone 5 around thanksgiving, but I'm I got my eye on the Xperia Z or ZL. If the rumored Xperia Z tablet is as nice I may sell my Nexus 7 to help pay for it.

I know I'll get top dollar for my iphone 5, not sure what my N7 is worth.

The note is nice but it feels cheap to me. I like the size though.

Got my Wii U, not sure if I'll hold on to it, definitely getting the PS4 and that's about it.

Raoh

Hmmm, any reviews of this? Is it top heavy?

Mind you, thats a full phone in that pic. An attachment thats just a screen should be MUCH lighter. Thats my theory anyways.

Yeah, that was pretty much the point of the pic, I have no photoshop skills so I posted a pic of a baseline idea.

What if they make it a cross between the dualshock and teh xperia play

That's kind of what I was going for but with a bigger touch surface and buttons on it instead of 'sticks'.

Electric field sensor shows the position of your thumbs if they are within 20mm above the touch surface. It's like Kinect for you thumbs! No wait... come back..

Mikey Jr.

How about this...

Green.jpg.jpeg

I won't lie, I'm kinda liking something like this. Make it an attachment I can take on and off.

If its off, (I mean physically off) its just a regular DS4.

If its on.....

-Shows friends list, invites, keyboard, PSN chatroom, web browser, stream gaikai, stream tv shows/movies, etc.

-While playing a game, go to the xmb and stream the game to it ala WiiU. Lower resolution should increase the playing distance, right?

If they can get the screen to be super light, ie not top heavy, then I think it should work.

While playing a game, go to the xmb and stream the game to it ala WiiU. Lower resolution should increase the playing distance, right?

Just because the screen is smaller than Wii U, I wouldn't expect it to be lower resolution, but they may be able to compress it differently/have a stronger signal.

But like I've said before, you could technically build one of those for the PS3 or 360 right now, you just need an hdmi passthrough box on the back of your console that broadcasts its own picture. The screen attachment would have a button on it to activate the broadcasting, you wouldn't need to go to the xmb.

Mr.Green

Best news I've read all day. Any design they come up with will be superior to the current one, that much is certain. About fucking time.

That's a good point. Do you think that could really hamper development that significantly though.

I think that depending on their plans they need around 5 months to get applications coded and tested to have them ready for launch, so if they want to have it available in 2013 they need to announce the console by march, games reveal by E3 and OS/extra features/launch software details by october. Market availability November 2013 in the US, December for EU and Japan.

Boss Man

Do not put analog sticks over the buttons please, keep them underneath.

I know people like to say it doesn't make a difference, but they are lying to themselves. The thumb has a ton more movement going up towards the rest of the hand than it does going down towards the body. This makes it feel a lot more uncomfortable to reach down to the face buttons.

Top Bottom