• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why would you do this while a game is playing mid game. All those things like checking trophies, sending and checking messages you do when you pause the game. They could easily do this without the screen, by tapping the PS button for a quick menu, if the PS4 OS is fast and allows multi tasking like Vita the. It should be easy without a screen.

This is true.

Although I think video chat or multi-way video chat with friends while playing would work better with a secondary screen.

I think if Sony wanted to find the business case for including a touchscreen on the controller they wouldn't have to look far.

1) Augmented Reality seems to be a big area of interest for Sony going forward. They've shown interesting technology demos using Vita, they have talked previously about a further future where lightweight AR glasses will factor in. A home system with a screen on a controller + camera on the back would give them a big stepping stone toward that ultimate goal. Coupled to the power of a home system, I think you would see amazing stuff from Sony wrt things 'breaking out of the TV' into your living room, as seen through your controller, that would gracefully evolve up to AR goggles in a few years time.

2) As I mentioned before, it would let them deliver Playstation content from every platform to their new system.

3) Cloud seems to be a big deal for Sony going forward. Depending on what else is in the controller it could potentially open the door to huge new business model opportunities coupled with that. People have talked about contracts subsidising an expensive box next-gen. If a customer has a good network connection and you don't need to give them that expensive box, you could go further still and offer them a controller with a pre-payment on a pay-as-you-go system. PS4 - starting at 'Free', no contracts.

As I said before though, it would also raise some other questions. But I think Sony could definitely see the case for doing this.

Fredrik

You'd have to show me these threads, because as fuck-horrible as the Wii U launch situation has been, for all the disappointments, the controller is the one thing that shines and is almost universally praised.

Only negatives I have that seem to be echoed by other owners, are shit battery life (Nintendo cheapednout and put a tiny ass battery that doesn't even fill the battery compartment), and lack of analog triggers.

Now the DS4 screen may not happen, but you potential owners really should keep an open mind here. Or, if you can stomach it, try the Wii U for a substantial amount of time.
The complaints were louder when the console was unveiled, but the WiiU controller is really only praised among those who have a WiiU, ask a hardcore Playstation or Xbox fan with nointerest in WiiU and see what they think about the controller and screen and you'll see plenty of complaints that could possibly fit a potential PS4 controller with a screen too. Size, weight, battery life, price, eye/neck ache from looking up and down, stick/button placement, screen size and resolution, etc. Their opinions might be exaggerated because it's nintendo hardare though. Which of course just makes it even more interesting if PS4 have a similar controller. ;)

KAL2006

Banned
You'd have to show me these threads, because as fuck-horrible as the Wii U launch situation has been, for all the disappointments, the controller is the one thing that shines and is almost universally praised.

Only negatives I have that seem to be echoed by other owners, are shit battery life (Nintendo cheapednout and put a tiny ass battery that doesn't even fill the battery compartment), and lack of analog triggers.

Now the DS4 screen may not happen, but you potential owners really should keep an open mind here. Or, if you can stomach it, try the Wii U for a substantial amount of time.

I remember a fellow Wii U owner saying they can't play Ninja Gaiden properly, then another poster replied "buy a classic controller" and that they found it easier to play Ninja Gaiden on that. I still don't see the benefits of a screen, but more negatives (expensive and less battery life), and all these things ain't game hanging for what's its worth and people who really want it for menu navigation, and interactive remote, checking trophies and messages can be satisfied with a smartphone app that does this.

Acheteedo

Not sure about the LCD screen, I'd prefer never to have to move my attention from the screen, also that's going to be a (albeit minor) drain on the PS4's resources, was hoping it would be the one that's purely focused on the hardcore experience.

ksdixon

Is it strange that I never had a problem with the PSONE Dual Shock, nor the PS2 DS2, but I have a massive hate for PS3's DS3?

kinggroin

Banned
The complaints were louder when the console was unveiled, but the WiiU controller is really only praised among those who have a WiiU, ask a hardcore Playstation or Xbox fan with nointerest in WiiU and see what they think about the controller and screen and you'll see plenty of complaints that could possibly fit a potential PS4 controller with a screen too. Size, weight, battery life, price, eye/neck ache from looking up and down, stick/button placement, screen size and resolution, etc. Their opinions might be exaggerated because it's nintendo hardare though. Which of course just makes it even more interesting if PS4 have a similar controller. ;)

I remember a fellow Wii U owner saying they can't play Ninja Gaiden properly, then another poster replied "buy a classic controller" and that they found it easier to play Ninja Gaiden on that. I still don't see the benefits of a screen, but more negatives (expensive and less battery life), and all these things ain't game hanging for what's its worth and people who really want it for menu navigation, and interactive remote, checking trophies and messages can be satisfied with a smartphone app that does this.

Frederik, think about that. Folks who never played it; people on the outside looking in are the biggest detractors. I'm not saying there aren't negatives or you cant NOT want it, just do make absolute judgements before trying is all. Sony may tackle it better.

And Kal, that's...like one dude. In sure there are more around, but if we want to nit pick for ANY negative news, we could do that for all three platform's controllers. Also, don't discount the ability to play your games without the TV until you have it available as an option. Comes in handy a lot more than you'd think (my favorite plus to the screen).

ksdixon

Yeah, that's it! The L2/R2 triggers 'do' annoy me! Also, is there something off in the weight distribution (too light) and the size (too small) with the DS3?

Just spent some time on my PS2 over the weekend and DS2 still feels great to me.

Raoh

You forgot psp go

new-psp-go-review.jpg

Forgot all about it. Didn't really last all that long, the xperia play I remember because of the recent xperia z announcement.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I love the ergonomics of some of the designs in here (particularly from GoldRusher and alr1ght). Even if the controller doesn't wind up with a screen, I'd love to see it be shaped like some of these.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wouldn't mind if the controller has a screen as long as it can be dimmed or turned off. I didn't use Move much simply because the ball was too bright.

Into

I really hope Sony does not go for any sort of screen on their controller, the negative far outweigh the positives, the reduced battery life, the expense etc.

Just improve the fundamentals, especially the trigger buttons and analog sticks.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Honestly, I don't like the idea touchscreen and biometrics. I don't want another way to 'play' games.

I'd rather have voice activation and commands.

Biometrics is probably less about control-input as modifying things depending on measurements of the player.

Valve will be talking more about that stuff at GDC so it'll be interesting to see what they have to say. I think it needs to go into console controllers if it's going to get any kind of traction.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Biometrics is probably less about control-input as modifying things depending on measurements of the player.

Valve will be talking more about that stuff at GDC so it'll be interesting to see what they have to say. I think it needs to go into console controllers if it's going to get any kind of traction.
Same here. I think it has potential as long as it's not a clip on your finger like the Vitality Sensor was going to be. It would be really annoying to hold/use a controller with that on.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Same here. I think it has potential as long as it's not a clip on your finger like the Vitality Sensor was going to be. It would be really annoying to hold/use a controller with that on.

It won't. Will be something passive in the controller surface.

Possibilities will depend also what sensors they put in there, but I think they'll be different ones than the one Nintendo used. Possibly a combination of 2 or 3 different sensors.

You will get what some will consider 'gimmicky' control input possibilities - e.g. control based on how tightly you are gripping the controller, tensing muscles to improve defense or charge attack etc. - but there are perhaps more interesting possibilities beyond that too for improved immersion and new tools for gameplay direction (pacing, difficulty etc.)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
new tools for gameplay direction (pacing, difficulty etc.)

As a clammy hand gamer, I dread the "You appear to be sweating profusely. Switch down to Ninja Dog difficulty, you pathetic loser?" pop-up.

Change the dual shock... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I've used this controller essentially for a decade (more actually). It's... perfect. It feels right, natural.

Oh well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
As a clammy hand gamer, I dread the "You appear to be sweating profusely. Switch down to Ninja Dog difficulty, you pathetic loser?" pop-up.

Haha, nah, I don't think a game will necessarily tell you what it's doing ;) It might be more dynamic and invisible than that. Would depend on the game of course, and whether it would even do any kind of difficulty adjustment at all...

With multiple sensors I think it's possible to disambiguate between clammy hands and clammy hands linked to stress :p They can look at all kinds of things depending on how many sensors they put in there.

Nizz

I really hope Sony does not go for any sort of screen on their controller, the negative far outweigh the positives, the reduced battery life, the expense etc.

Just improve the fundamentals, especially the trigger buttons and analog sticks.

Change the dual shock... NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I've used this controller essentially for a decade (more actually). It's... perfect. It feels right, natural.

Oh well.
I still feel the same way since this thread has popped up. I've been playing with the Dualshock controller design for pretty much 15-16 years. I'll also echo the posts that if the DS4 would have been basically a DS2 but wireless I'd be fine with that.

Concept17

I still feel the same way since this thread has popped up. I've been playing with the Dualshock controller design for pretty much 15-16 years. I'll also echo the posts that if the DS4 would have been basically a DS2 but wireless I'd be fine with that.

It'll be sad to see it go. If there were some way to do something that works better than analog sticks I could get excited. If shooters were half as easy to control as m+kb that would be great. Otherwise I don't see much that needs to be changed for the controller.

The boomerang controller would be awesome. It allowed for a lot more comfort than the DS does.

Raoh

Yeah, that's it! The L2/R2 triggers 'do' annoy me! Also, is there something off in the weight distribution (too light) and the size (too small) with the DS3?

Just spent some time on my PS2 over the weekend and DS2 still feels great to me.

I'll keep saying until my last dying breath. No better PS2 controller than the Logitech Action Wireless. Honestly compared to teh 360 controller, it shows that the only improvement really needed for the DS3 was a larger grip and overall size of the controller.

129a225b9da0f379e5810110.L.jpg

51No2UzlYbL.jpg

I sometimes wonder if the 360 controller took the action wireless controller as a base model.

92902727_47b74aba8d.jpg

And the L2/R2 are not just triggers, outside of shooters they are just buttons. I used to work magic with this controller on socom, eqoa and ffxi.

963320-0403-R-3.jpg
b6ff948d-e3f0-493b-8c4d-1f0ba12cdd7a-2-400-0.jpg

Sadly the only decent video I could find on the controller.

http://youtu.be/gKkGWYg7G9A

Also the PS3 version of this controller is ass. I would recommend getting the ps2 controller with a ps3 adapter instead of the ps3 version. Its poor build quality, no rumble and not as responsive. After years with the ps2 version I returned the ps3 version after a week.

Dual Shock 2 is terrible for shooters.

Preference I guess. I've never had an issue with Dualshock and shooters. The only thing I could see as an issue is that 360 lead games default the fire buttons to the R2 trigger instead of the playstation default R1 button. I usually get turned off by a game that won't give me the option to switch back to a proper playstation setup.

plainr_

I never liked that wireless Logitech controller. Bought one specifically for Socom 2 back then. Didn't like the feel of it in my hands so I stopped using it after a short while.

jsnepo

I'll keep saying until my last dying breath. No better PS2 controller than the Logitech Action Wireless. Honestly compared to teh 360 controller, it shows that the only improvement really needed for the DS3 was a larger grip and overall size of the controller.

I used to have one. It's awesome. Too bad the analog sensitive buttons don't work well with some games like MGS3.

deadlast

I think we will see integrated keypads, better sticks and triggers. I believe the push for nextgen will be a console-MMO push by Blizzard and several other MMO devs.

Raoh

I think we will see integrated keypads, better sticks and triggers. I believe the push for nextgen will be a console-MMO push by Blizzard and several other MMO devs.

Sony started some this gen but I was dissapointed overall. Free Realms, DC Universe. That's it I think.

Next gen I'm hoping for Everquest Next, if there is a god in heaven (or hell) listening to me we will hopefully one day see a reboot or continuation of Everquest Online Adventures. Maybe Planetside 2

Sadly that Sony and NCsoft deal went nowhere. I think Blade & Soul as well as Guild Wars was considered for consoles.

No! IR is crap as a pointer tech, it only work when you have no lights or reflective surfaces in the room. Can barely point at all in my place, the pointer goes all over the place when I point the wiimote in certain directins no matter what sensitivity setting I use. :/

Ah sorry to here that I didn't realize it had those problems.

Wynnebeck

Banned

Fanboys are going to fanboy but a controller with a screen on it is not a Nintendo invention by any means. Just look at what Sega tried to do with the VMU in the Dreamcast controller. As for me, after spending quite a bit of time with a friend of mine who has a Wii U, the controller is not my cup of tea. It's very egonomic with the handles and how you hold it but it felt very light and cheap. If Sony were to make their own version of a Vitapad for the PS4, I'd still use a DS3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I honestly can't get over how comfortable some of the mock ups in this thread look. I hope that Sony goes with a shape like some of these, no matter what features it winds up having.

Apath

I couldn't care less about stick placement, but I'm hoping they make the L2 and R2 curved so the fingers don't slip off, the sticks concave, and make the overall shape more ergomatic.
Fanboys are going to fanboy but a controller with a screen on it is not a Nintendo invention by any means. Just look at what Sega tried to do with the VMU in the Dreamcast controller. As for me, after spending quite a bit of time with a friend of mine who has a Wii U, the controller is not my cup of tea. It's very egonomic with the handles and how you hold it but it felt very light and cheap. If Sony were to make their own version of a Vitapad for the PS4, I'd still use a DS3.
I'd say a tablet controller is very much so a Nintendo innovation.

Polari

I doubt they'll build a screen into the controller but I think they'll offer up some sort of streaming solution to Android tablets.

beast786

I hope there is no touch screen. Its only distract you drom tv screen and is pain in the ass looking up and down and up and sown and up and down and up and down Only advantage is for some is off tv and even then not all games will use it.

This from my wiiu experience.

Top Bottom