• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Holy... Shit! I never thought about it like this. Being able to do what you want on the small screen while the game is playing on the big one. Maybe that's why only 512MB will be reserved for the OS?
I think a responsive home button serves the exact same purpose and does it better. A wii u like controller would a very disappointing direction for the ps4 Controller, but I'm 100 percent sure it won't happen.

beast786

How about

You forgot psp go

new-psp-go-review.jpg

plainr_

Screens are pretty useless on controllers. I'd rather have something in line with the rumored detachable controller over a Wii-U style controller. At least then it can be adapted to work with the inevitable future of VR gaming.

I feel like most of you saying screens are useless haven't ever used a touch screen before. They're immensely useful and allow tons of different control options simply not possible with just buttons

Foxix Von

Well if the biometric stuff is true I'm pretty much screwed haha. I have very constant high anxiety, the readings will always be off haha.

I like the idea of a small unobtrusive screen though, ala dreamcast. <3

I feel like most of you saying screens are useless haven't ever used a touch screen before. They're immensely useful and allow tons of different control options simply not possible with just buttons

They do but mostly require you to take your eyes off the tv which is not what a controller should be about, otherwise it should just be a track pad. This is why I think hover detection could be important, which can work with either pad or a screen, but opens up what you can do with it while not losing focus of the TV.

That is true, but personally I would rather see the extra cost go into the base console itself. However this is more or less a selfish point of view because I own a 3DS and iPad and can already get those experiences.

If they do go down that route, a defacto vita I can use to play the same PS4 games on the couch or in bed will be the way to go. Obviously expensive, but anything in between just wont cut it I feel.

Screens are pretty useless on controllers. I'd rather have something in line with the rumored detachable controller over a Wii-U style controller. At least then it can be adapted to work with the inevitable future of VR gaming.

I know it is popular right now, but I really can't see that happening for a long time yet. People are not going to be wearing headsets on mass in the lounge room. I think VR will come through projection but that is PS6 stuff.

DBT85

Going by what the rumor said about how many revisions the controller has been seeing, I wouldn't be surprised if the one that's initially revealed doesn't end up being the final product. Happened that way with the PS3 after all.

Well to be fair, the PS3 was originally shown with the boomerang. Then every website, blog, and fan threw up a little in their mouths and complained incredibly loudly despite never touching it. They then backed down and just released the DS3. I imagine they'll release something that is different from the DS3, the question is how much different. I like how the Move feels in my hand so much so that I never bothered putting the strap on it. So if the same people are working on the prototypes for the DS4 hopefully they'll manage to find something that I find as comfortable.

How about that? Just imagine slightly bigger sticks.

And thanks for the comments guys :p

I like it, I just tihnk the screen needs to be a minimum of 4". If they are putting a screen in then it is surely going to be able to allow off screen play a lá remote play and the WiiU.

I asked before and I'll ask again.

What is the purpose of that screen?

Navigating menus, maps and stuff in games, trackpad for moving a cursor on the screen, off screen play (which has had a lot of positive press from the WiiU even if the WiiU isn't setting the world alight), etc etc. As I said before, I would rather it had no screen and that the extra money be spent on the hardware, however, if it must have one then make it large enough to be worthwhile to play Uncharted 4 on while my wife is watching something else on the TV.

Agreed! Screen on a controller is the worst idea ever! Have had a Logitech G15 keyboard several years, never used it in games! Only thing its good for is monitoring hardware!

Some games may make use of it, but its not worth packing it in..put those dollars elsewhere please!

You can't compare the tiny screen of a G15 keyboard to some of the suggestions for putting a screen on a controller like the WiiU. The keyboard screen is not a touchscreen, is too small to play a game on directly, it was monochrome AFAIK. The suggestions for a screen on the DS4 are heading in the direction of something usable to watch video or play games on while someone else is using the TV, usable to navigate around the OS, etc.

I agree that it shouldn't be packed in, but I can certainly see why it would be a cool idea.

!!!!!

if they must use a touch screen, do it like this. I don't want $150 controllers.
ps4h8fp7.png

The screen is too small in my view. Either go for 4-5" or don't bother.

When the Vita first came out Eurogamer had an article suggesting that the 3G Vita in parts only was costing approx $160 to build. This was 12 months ago now, if the DS4 was to follow a similar vein as has been speculated, it wouldn't need the rear touch pad, the memory card slot, the game cart slot, the 3G slot, the GPS/3G hardware, the processor, the GPU or the 4GB of onboard flash.

Sure it would need something to decode the video signal and transmit data back to the PS4, but it would be a dumb box and much cheaper in parts to manufacture than that Vita. In addition it would have a load of spare space inside for a larger battery.

It would still be more than a more conventional DS3 refresh but it probably wouldn't cost Sony all that much to pack one in the box.

As I've said, I don't want one if I was given the choice of this + weaker hardware/more expensive console or standard controller + better console or lower price. I tihnk they would be better served making sure that all future Sony tablets/phones can send and receive content to the PS4, and if possible get 3rd parties on board with their phones and tablets in the form of an app. Let me use Nexus 7/10 and a paired DS4 controller to play a game from the PS4 while the wife is using the TV.

Ashes

Banned
When the Vita first came out Eurogamer had an article suggesting that the 3G Vita in parts only was costing approx $160 to build. This was 12 months ago now, if the DS4 was to follow a similar vein as has been speculated, it wouldn't need the rear touch pad, the memory card slot, the game cart slot, the 3G slot, the GPS/3G hardware, the processor, the GPU or the 4GB of onboard flash.

Pretty sure the most expensive thing in the PSVita was the screen. By far. I'd be perfectly happy for someone to correct me. :/

Edit: even your link says so.
Edit: I like the Psp Go concept. But where would the analogue sticks go?

plainr_

Don't get me wrong, I actually like touch screen gaming. I play lots of it on my iPhone 5 and iPad already. When I say useless, I mean so for the PS4. Since I am a firm believer in VR, I just don't see controller/touchscreen hybrids being future proof for the new advances in gaming.

If anything, should secondary screens and touchscreen play a big part for next gen consoles, I think Microsoft's SmartGlass is the best solution.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Disagree wi the need for a big screen. If it is big, then nthe temptations ere for remote play or having a complex 3D secondary display. I don't want anything diluting power from the main display

If it is mainly designed for navigation, maybe adding a few smart buttons like unit 13 next to the normal buttons, maybe some additional status info, then you can easily get away with a smaller screen.

Maybe you don't even need to stream video to it, just have a simple processor on the controller and it looks after the display.

Think more along the lines of the logitech G19 or G510 gaming keyboards more than a WiiU gamepad

LLI6E92.png

SAaRpMFl.jpg

(Imagine that last one is a friends list or notifications etc)

DBT85

Pretty sure the most expensive thing in the PSVita was the screen. By far. I'd be perfectly happy for someone to correct me. :/

Edit: even your link says so.
Edit: I like the Psp Go concept. But where would the analogue sticks go?

Oh it was, but it was also a 5" OLED screen and that article includes the screen and both touch surfaces as one $50 part. People have already speculated that a Vita revision would see them go for a different type of screen, possibly something like the SLCD screens used in some smartphones.

I wonder if they've given up Move if they're adding a touch screen?

Or if they will try and have a break apart controller with touch screen in the middle, two move nunchucks to both sides.

Seems like a waste NOT to include Move in every system as well. Especially if VR catches on down the road.

Ashes

Banned
Oh it was, but it was also a 5" OLED screen and that article includes the screen and both touch surfaces as one $50 part. People have already speculated that a Vita revision would see them go for a different type of screen, possibly something like the SLCD screens used in some smartphones.

Good Point.

Rad-

Mind giving some examples? I own a Nexus 7 and I hate the touch screen for anything gaming related. Well Angry Birds was fun for 5 mins I guess.

The only genre where I think it could make some difference is strategy games. But it would still be far behind PC's mouse.

Razgreez

I wonder if they've given up Move if they're adding a touch screen?

Or if they will try and have a break apart controller with touch screen in the middle, two move nunchucks to both sides.

Seems like a waste NOT to include Move in every system as well. Especially if VR catches on down the road.

The problem with move is the aesthetics. People will be seriously turned off by having glowing balls on the main controller (or controller module should it break apart). If anyone thought the boomerang thing was a fiasco then this would be one to epic proportions

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The problem with move is the aesthetics. People will be seriously turned off by having glowing balls on the main controller (or controller module should it break apart). If anyone thought the boomerang thing was a fiasco then this would be one to epic proportions

They could reverse things with PS4 and have IR LEDs on the camera like the Wii used. Use a wide based eyetoy and you can have a decent pointer too (one thing move isn't so good at)

Well, Sony could save a lot compared to Nintendo if they don't add the low-latency streaming features of the WiiU controller and connect the controller/touchscreen through w-lan/bluetooth.

It's obvious that playing your games on the WiiU controller screen is not a killer feature. And w-lan/bluetooth is fast enough for all the other real-time tasks.

Sorc3r3r

If they improve the camera res, they can use leds?
Btw, i hope they do not go for something too exotic, and to be honest i would be happy with a simple ds4.

Well, Sony could save a lot compared to Nintendo if they don't add the low-latency streaming features of the WiiU controller and connect the controller/touchscreen through w-lan/bluetooth.

It's obvious that playing your games on the WiiU controller screen is not a killer feature. And w-lan/bluetooth is fast enough for all the other real-time tasks.

I suspect they will have to go with low-latency streaming and not rely on w-lan.

They will try and position this as a means of playing Vita games. Remote play over w-lan isn't that great due to the latency.

Is the low latency streaming tech really that expensive?

Razgreez

They could reverse things with PS4 and have IR LEDs on the camera like the Wii used. Use a wide based eyetoy and you can have a decent pointer too (one thing move isn't so good at)

How would the LEDs help keep the accurate 1-1 (low latency-ish) tracking though? Even with motion+ the move was far more accurate than the Wii.

I've played many FPS and a TPS with the move and the pointing worked perfectly. Only time things became annoying was when you had to perform melee or grenade throws with the move but that was mitigated by simply ignoring and using the usual buttons

StevieP

Banned
How would the LEDs help keep the accurate 1-1 (low latency-ish) tracking though? Even with motion+ the move was far more accurate than the Wii.

I've played many FPS and a TPS with the move and the pointing worked perfectly. Only time things became annoying was when you had to perform melee or grenade throws with the move but that was mitigated by simply ignoring and using the usual buttons

Infrared is more accurate than gyro interpretation. The pointing done with motion+ and move are both less accurate.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Move gyros for motion tracking, IR for positional tracking, pointng and continuous calibration

Does anyone think they could just drop move, though? Seems like they invested a lot into it...Sure, it wasn't a commercial success, but who knows what could have happened if it didn't look so ridiculous and was packed in with the system to start with.

Especially since they have all those recent move patent designs?

Razgreez

Infrared is more accurate than gyro interpretation. The pointing done with motion+ and move are both less accurate.

I'm talking about the actual motion tracking not the gyro i.e. approximating the 3D movement based on the distance the ball is from the camera and the exact speed and direction the controller is moving at by tracking said ball's movement and visible size. It's what made, for me at least, the fight, sports champions and move fitness actual worthwhile purchases

Fredrik

As a satisfied WiiU owner I definitely welcome a PS4 controller with a screen. But I wonder what the anti-WiiU crowd think about this. Seems like a risky move imo. If MS is the only one with a traditional core gamer controller they will likely take even more of the market next gen.

As a satisfied WiiU owner I definitely welcome a PS4 controller with a screen. But I wonder what the anti-WiiU crowd think about this. Seems like a risky move imo. If MS is the only one with a traditional core gamer controller they will likely take even more of the market next gen.

I don't see how including a screen on a controller alienates the core fans.

Fredrik

IR pointing is the one thing the Wiimote really nailed and would be a great addition to any of the next controllers.
No! IR is crap as a pointer tech, it only work when you have no lights or reflective surfaces in the room. Can barely point at all in my place, the pointer goes all over the place when I point the wiimote in certain directins no matter what sensitivity setting I use. :/

Ashes

Banned

That took five minutes in paint. It's doable. I do wonder how it would look. There needs to be space above the screen too, just to keep symmetry and be more aesthetically pleasing. But it's doable. And it'd be a lot bigger in your hand. :p

Fredrik

Me neither, but check any WiiU controller thread, there is lots of hate toward everything from having to look down at the screen for info to holding the controller in a new way or having a bigger/heavier controller or worse battery life. Core gamers seem to want either a pretty much unchanged 360 controller or dual shock 3.

a change sounds exciting, a screen sounds interesting, but I would be completely fine if they stick with classic DS3 design.

and for god's sake don't nobody get rid of rumble like at the beginning of this gen.

i wonder if an lcd screen would balance out price wise with the removal of sixaxis tech.

kinggroin

Banned

It doesn't. Most detractors are afraid the screen will take performance away from the console (it wont), or take away from the hardware performance cost (maybe, but specs are already set most likely at this pont - so why waste energy on something you cant change), some don't want it because touch controls are crap for gaming (they usually are, but the DS4 will have buttons, so the screen will be used for axillary purposes).

Its only potential downside is packaging cost. Though if we assume they are using similar tech to Nintendo, a year later, costs will drop. However, I can completely understand gamers not wanting to spend any more than they have to...

...but such is the price for being an early adopter anyway. And besides, I don't think Sony is going to drop another $599 scenario on itself again.

Me neither, but check any WiiU controller thread, there is lots of hate toward everything from having to look down at the screen for info to holding the controller in a new way or having a bigger/heavier controller or worse battery life. Core gamers seem to want either a pretty much unchanged 360 controller or dual shock 3.

You'd have to show me these threads, because as fuck-horrible as the Wii U launch situation has been, for all the disappointments, the controller is the one thing that shines and is almost universally praised.

Only negatives I have that seem to be echoed by other owners, are shit battery life (Nintendo cheapednout and put a tiny ass battery that doesn't even fill the battery compartment), and lack of analog triggers.

Now the DS4 screen may not happen, but you potential owners really should keep an open mind here. Or, if you can stomach it, try the Wii U for a substantial amount of time.

You'd have to show me these threads, because as fuck-horrible as the Wii U launch situation has been, for all the disappointments, the controller is the one thing that shines and is almost universally praised.

Only negatives I have that seem to be echoed by other owners, are shit battery life (Nintendo cheapednout and put a tiny ass battery that doesn't even fill the battery compartment), and lack of analog triggers.

Now the DS4 screen may not happen, but you potential owners really should keep an open mind here. Or, if you can stomach it, try the Wii U for a substantial amount of time.

I think Sony should take the same approach.

Every PS4 should have a gaikai server in it (they purchased it for something right?). Every PS game streamed to my controller or Vita would be great especially if it is more of a controller than a tablet (try to get the best of both worlds with the no tv play but don't worry about trying to beat apple, just focus on the games).

besiktas1

lol I remember one boring sunday a while ago when I made a thread (even before wiiu announcement) hypothesising at the Xbox will go down the controller with a screen route. I'm not against it...

Top Bottom