• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

jwk94

I hope there is no touch screen. Its only distract you drom tv screen and is pain in the ass looking up and down and up and sown and up and down and up and down Only advantage is for some is off tv and even then not all games will use it.

This from my wiiu experience.

Little Big Planet 2's Cross-Controller DLC did it rather well.

beast786

You mean pain in the neck.

Lol true

fifa-13-confirmed-as-wii-u-launch-title.jpg

This is how high you have to hold it to get both views, and even then you have to quickly try to focus far and near. And all it does is distract you from your beautiful tv screen. There was novelty in zombieU where you scan it. But after playing for a while i rather wish i just press the button and things show up on tv screen.

Hardware wise gamepad is very nicely design and comfortable. But is just a pain as been utilize and function. It feels forced just like vita back touch in games

If they allow Dualshock 3 compatibility, then I think that would be fine.

Wouldn't that just nullify the touchscreen due to not everyone having that controller?
I want a controller that is universal with it's userbase so that developers can take full advantage.

It hasn't stopped the WiiU.

I reckon the PS4 will follow suit. Come with a touch screen controller, yet support all PS3 controller options, including Move.

I don't see very many games actually utilizing the screen except for ZombieU. I don't want that happening with the PS4.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
If they allow Dualshock 3 compatibility, then I think that would be fine.

The problem with this approach is that you end up with the lowest common denominator of the control options being used, so that the games can target all forms of controller. Better to focus on a single controller where possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The problem with this approach is that you end up with the lowest common denominator of the control options being used, so that the games can target all forms of controller. Better to focus on a single controller where possible.

a problem WiiU has with multiplayer at least. Wiimotes all round? dpad and two buttons? ugh.

Ashes

Banned

Good point. But would a developer not target the main peripheral? For example, on the wii, a dev would target the wiimote, and not a pro controller.

In addition, a dev cannot guarantee the user will have a ds3. But every single PS4 will come with a DS4.

RobCrossley

Neo Member
Hello there,

Since there has been a lot of debate on my claim that the next PlayStation will be revealed "within weeks", I thought it'd be helpful to clarify further - or at least as much as I can.

I was told that the reveal will be "in weeks, not months", however I'm not holding off any further information - I don't know how many weeks, frankly. I'm guessing it'll be end of March, but that's a guess based on other factors.

The person who informed me is someone whose understanding of the situation is without doubt, and someone who unfortunately I can't even specify what area of what business they work at.

Hope this helps in some way.

Hello there,

Since there has been a lot of debate on my claim that the next PlayStation will be revealed "within weeks", I thought it'd be helpful to clarify further - or at least as much as I can.

I was told that the reveal will be "in weeks, not months", however I'm not holding off any further information - I don't know how many weeks, frankly. I'm guessing it'll be end of March, but that's a guess based on other factors.

The person who informed me is someone whose understanding of the situation is without doubt, and someone who unfortunately I can't even specify what area of what business they work at.

It does much appreciated. Are there any other rumours you can clarify without revealing too much about your source. So far there is a back and forth between PS4 and 720 hardware ranging from "meh" to "unbelievable". How set in stone is the new primary controller? LCD points to a rather big and heavy controller - not so sure if I am comfortable with looking at 2 screens all the time.

THE:MILKMAN

Hello there,

Thanks for that Rob. Don't know if you can answer this, but I'll ask anyway. How long ago was the "weeks, not months" passed on to you?

A day before the article? A week?

Thanks.

Averon

This fits with Game Informer's recent claim that they're hearing "Apple-style press conferences" from both MS and Sony near GDC in March.

THE:MILKMAN

This fits with Game Informer's recent claim that they're hearing "Apple-style press conferences" from both MS and Sony near GDC in March.

It looks like this will be the case. It would mean that Sony would have to hold another DPS-like event for retailers later in the year though.

Unless Sony will give details at DPS and hope nothing leaks.........

RobCrossley

Neo Member
You work for CVG then? Noted. Glad to have you on board.

Thanks dude. Happy to be here.

It does much appreciated. Are there any other rumours you can clarify without revealing too much about your source. So far there is a back and forth between PS4 and 720 hardware ranging from "meh" to "unbelievable". How set in stone is the new primary controller? LCD points to a rather big and heavy controller - not so sure if I am comfortable with looking at 2 screens all the time.

Sure, will try. Can't clarify any specs rumours personally - have heard so many different things from so many different sources - perhaps mainly because these are evolving platforms during development and different builds are at different studios.

As far as I can tell, the new primary controller is still up in the air. Lots of pulling in different directions at Sony because it has to balance affordability, looks, features and usability. Some prototypes are a bit on the ugly side, I'm told.

But then again one presumes these new controller features are staying unless Sony is prepared to spin game projects that are already utilising them.

Another presumption - biometrics is certainly not going to be removed. Easy to do from an engineering standpoint, visually unassuming and already patented. Only high costs (maybe) and limited functionality (hardly) would prevent it from being added in.

Hope that helps.

Thanks dude. Happy to be here.

Sure, will try. Can't clarify any specs rumours personally - have heard so many different things from so many different sources - perhaps mainly because these are evolving platforms during development and different builds are at different studios.

As far as I can tell, the new primary controller is still up in the air. Lots of pulling in different directions at Sony because it has to balance affordability, looks, features and usability. Some prototypes are a bit on the ugly side, I'm told.

But then again one presumes these new controller features are staying unless Sony is prepared to spin game projects that are already utilising them.

Another presumption - biometrics is certainly not going to be removed. Easy to do from an engineering standpoint, visually unassuming and already patented. Only high costs (maybe) and limited functionality (hardly) would prevent it from being added in.

Hope that helps.

Yes it does thank you.

RobCrossley

Neo Member
Thanks for that Rob. Don't know if you can answer this, but I'll ask anyway. How long ago was the "weeks, not months" passed on to you?

A day before the article? A week?

Thanks.

Sure, it was during the same week that the article was published.

Gotta go back to the grindstone now, but hope I've helped. See you later.

I really don't want a big ass, wii u type gamepad as the main controller. To incorporate a big enough lcd screen so it can actually be seen, plus all the other buttons, triggers, D-pad, and sticks the thing would have to be huge when compared to a DS3.

If there is a touch screen I hope that it is smaller to cut down on cost. Like 3 inches or less VMU-like in nature but larger and obviously color, etc.

Also Sony you better have some good ass ideas for it and not just toss it out there and hope developers use it like you do with so many other ideas.

Ashes

Banned
I really don't want a big ass, wii u type gamepad as the main controller. To incorporate a big enough lcd screen so it can actually be seen, plus all the other buttons, triggers, D-pad, and sticks the thing would have to be huge when compared to a DS3.

I guess they are going to work off of smaller version of PS Vita. Or is the PSP smaller?

I guess they are going to work off of smaller version of PS Vita. Or is the PSP smaller?

Vita screen size is perfect IMO. I do hope they don't give "borders" to the screen, if they do go with the touchscreen route.

BTW is there any other use for biometric besides AI/difficulty changes?

DarҖaoZ;46699720 said:
Vita screen size is perfect IMO. I do hope they don't give "borders" to the screen, if they do go with the touchscreen route.

Fitness games monitor

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DarҖaoZ;46699720 said:

Visual & audio cues to heighten immersion.

Link various measurements to - superficial or otherwise - changes in your character.

For example, you could synch the character's breathing with yours.

Change animation to match measurements - for example, anxious/stress could be reflected in different character animations, from calm controlled movements to perhaps more desperate flailing. Sudden surprise in the player could be reflected in character's animation or facial expression.

Audio cues and music could be paced in line with measured player stress/surprise etc.

'AI' changes could also represent something different than making enemies smarter or more difficult. Valve talks about, for example, an AI game director that generates events and sequences of events, managing the pace of the game - and thinks there is potential in directing the game according to measurements of user arousal vs boredom etc. Some non-linear and open world games generate events dynamically and being able to measure the player's reaction to things and current state could be a useful input in optimising those generators.

Ashes

Banned
DarҖaoZ;46699720 said:

Some devs like information. They like to know how many shots were fired. Where you got stuck? How long you spend at what corner.

This would be a bonus for those devs. I wonder what boredom or frustration looks like on one of those graphs?

I supposed they get a lot of data from play testing, but those are controlled conditions where the player has to play the game. At home, you have a million distractions.

More cynically, sony can have a good guess at what spikes your heart rate and what doesn't maybe during store or web searches...

But bringing it back to base, horror devs would love this. Your heart rate can't fake being scared. lol.

edit: @above. Ooh, character synchronised breathing would be next gen star dust for me. Good shout mate. Don't think it will happen. But good shout nonetheless.

Dragnet

How about getting an in game 'Battle High' when you're on a killstreak and your heart's racing? This shit's perfect for Kojima!

SToRM

I've been a PlayStation gamer almost since the very beginning and I like the DualShock controller a lot, but some changes to the design after all these years wouldn't be bad in my opinion.
Better triggers, Vita D-pad and a small touchscreen would be nice additions/changes to the controller. For instance, the weapon selection in Farcry 3 would be a lot better if you could change weapons with one push on the touchscreen.

Nice info gofreak and ashes1396. I can see the possible applications of it.

But for some reason I just see it hard for it to work that well. I can definitely see different scenarios in where the biometrics could get your readings wrong and cause more problems than solutions.

Hopefully this is well tested, but since I know almost nothing on how this will work on games, then I can only speculate on possible problematic scenarios which might not even happen. Which I hope that is the case.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DarҖaoZ;46700021 said:
Nice info gofreak and ashes1396. I can see the possible applications of it.

But for some reason I just see it hard for it to work that well. I can definitely see different scenarios in where the biometrics could get your readings wrong and cause more problems than solutions.

Hopefully this is well tested, but since I know almost nothing on how this will work on games, then I can only speculate on possible problematic scenarios which might not even happen. Which I hope that is the case.

Yeah, any uses presume it works as advertised.

How well it'll work and what kinds of things they can measure reliably would depend on how many and what kind of sensors they include.

Man

It's intriguing that Sony is going both for a powerhorse console and the 'freshinputdevice' approach. Betting it uses the same screen as the Vita.

Ashes

Banned
Five minute Hatchet job:

A5fuINn.png

But somebody could probably photoshop this better I think. ;)

edit: Lol got that wrong. Need to replace d-pad on the right hand side with face buttons lol.
edit: the least I can do is fixed that. :p

Nestunt

I am not certain if it was Jeff (GB) who said it

but I agree with "his" (and everyone whose) opinion of tweaking the analogs so the thumbs find more weight

the placement I do not care. but after playing demanding games for analog precision in both consoles I think the 360 analogs are better in that respect. Not perfect, but better

Yeah, any uses presume it works as advertised.

How well it'll work and what kinds of things they can measure reliably would depend on how many and what kind of sensors they include.
I'd still need a demonstration to see what could be done with it, and as a non standard input you couldn't design a multi-platform game around it, which makes me wonder where Valve is going with it as they might not even be able to enforce a controller standard for their own platform!

Five minute Hatchet job:

RnUyCW3.png

But somebody could probably photoshop this better I think. ;)

edit: Lol got that wrong. Need to replace d-pad on the right hand side with face buttons lol.

I made a version of this in the old Cafe mockups, except I made the screen portrait for some reason.

velociraptor

I am not certain if it was Jeff (GB) who said it

but I agree with "his" (and everyone whose) opinion of tweaking the analogs so the thumbs find more weight

the placement I do not care. but after playing demanding games for analog precision in both consoles I think the 360 analogs are better in that respect. Not perfect, but better

PS3 analogs blow 360 analogs out of the water.

I find it far more easier to aim accurately in shooters thanks to the loose sticks.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
kaz3fjmm.jpg

ds4mclnf.jpg

It could be useful.

Parties, invites, text messaging, selecting songs to play in-game, checking your friends list, keeping track of trophies, using the webbrowser for guides, etc.

The position of the analog sticks doesn't seem very comfortable. They must be closer.

I think this would be the perfect solution:

jblPmDhaPIwUoz.jpg

Top Bottom