• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

i-Lo

Can anyone kindly explain what is a compute "module"? Is like it a compute unit in the GPU that isn't in the GPU or is it like a DSP of sorts?

M.D

I wonder what's going on inside the ICE Team offices.

I remember the guys from GameTrailers said that while they were at the ND offices for Uncharted 2, they were super secretive and that even the guys from ND can't enter the offices.

Can anyone kindly explain what is a compute "module"? Is like it a compute unit in the GPU that isn't in the GPU or is it like a DSP of sorts?

We don't exactly know. I personally think it'll be something that resembles the Spurs engine. Sony patented something like that in 2010. You can connect it to 86x architecture and still have the advantage of the SPE's from the Cell. They can function as DSP's, additional stream processors, video encoders and decoders... etc.

yurinka

2 years later - Isn't it 1 year?
Thanks.
I thought it was 2 years later than Xbox 360 in EU sorry (I'm European):

360 - December 2nd 2005
PS3 - March 23th 2007

Just checked it in Wikipedia and was almost 1 year and 4 months in EU.
Almost 1 year in both US and Japan.

Speevy

Banned
Hey guys, completely unrelated, but I don't want to start a new topic.

Is there something wrong with the forum today?

Every time I enter www.neogaf.com or use my recent sites list, it comes up with a page load error.

I've had to search for it every time I've gotten in.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Guess at the former. Would allow cuda/GPGPU coding for physx type stuff that might otherwise suck up GPU resource. CPU wouldn't be great at that as they don't seem a huge jump over CELL.

Speevy, your link was fine for me.

netBuff

In Europe PS3 was released almost exactly 2 years and 4 months later than Xbox 360 (I'm European).

The Xbox 360 was released on December 2, 2005 while the PS3 was released March 23, 2007. That's 1 year, 3 months and 21 days later, not almost two years.

i-Lo

Neogaf.com doesn't work. Had to change my bookmark to included the www.

OT: Weirdly something similar happened to me a few months back. I could access both www.neogaf.com and neogaf.com (the latter I found out about later) but I couldn't access my account. I was always signed out. Went on mozilla where I was finally able to log in and someone told me to remove the www. It worked for me then.

There was a scheduled maintenance yesterday. Perhaps something was done then that's affecting the two of you now.

i-Lo

We don't exactly know. I personally think it'll be something that resembles the Spurs engine. Sony patented something like that in 2010. You can connect it to 86x architecture and still have the advantage of the SPE's from the Cell. They can function as DSP's, additional stream processors, video encoders and decoders... etc.

Guess at the former. Would allow cuda/GPGPU coding for physx type stuff that might otherwise suck up GPU resource. CPU wouldn't be great at that as they don't seem a huge jump over CELL.

Speevy, your link was fine for me.

Interesting, thank you.

Anything with a datapath and a controller can be called a compute module. No idea what it would be in this case.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Arethere any reliable rumors on the speed of the blu-ray drive in Orbis? I think I remember one that said 16x but that seems too high. If the drive is faster than the 6x one in Durango the improvement in streaming ability could offset the inability to store as much unique data in RAM. I am expecting BDXL support though.

Saberus

Arethere any reliable rumors on the speed of the blu-ray drive in Orbis? I think I remember one that said 16x but that seems too high. If the drive is faster than the 6x one in Durango the improvement in streaming ability could offset the inability to store as much unique data in RAM. I am expecting BDXL support though.

The last rumour I think they said 8 but it would be throttled back to 6x and it would support the new 100 gig discs.

darkwing

I wonder what's going on inside the ICE Team offices.

I remember the guys from GameTrailers said that while they were at the ND offices for Uncharted 2, they were super secretive and that even the guys from ND can't enter the offices.

interesting info

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'll be the guy to ask, who is ICE and what do/did they do?

ICE is the main tech team that did a ton of dedicated work on the PS3 and came up with a lot of the tricks and techniques that first parties shared. They created the PS3 MLAA implementation and a lot of other things. They're a massive part of why PS3 exclusives looked so good this gen and how the bar was able to be continually raised. They are Sony's special sauce.

I don't have a Vita so I don't know if this is a good thing or not.
I don't have one either but I've heard great things about the OS and UI.

spwolf

gonna take you forever to load up 3.5 GB of RAM from BD drive, so i wouldnt worry about it.... Looking online, most drives these days are 12x. Thats 54 MBs.

Problem with BD drives is not the data rate but seek times, they are pretty slow, especially if disk is full. And that was the problem since PS3 had only 460 MB of RAM available total.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
gonna take you forever to load up 3.5 GB of RAM from BD drive, so i wouldnt worry about it.... Looking online, most drives these days are 12x. Thats 54 MBs.

Problem with BD drives is not the data rate but seek times, they are pretty slow, especially if disk is full. And that was the problem since PS3 had only 460 MB of RAM available total.

OK, cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I'll be the guy to ask, who is ICE and what do/did they do?

ICE team is mostly comprised of high level naughty dog staff but includes staff from insom, SSM, GG and a few others.

i would be shocked if kojima prod is not in ICE team as he visits the ND office nearly every time he is in southern cali.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
]ICE is the main tech team that did a ton of dedicated work on the PS3 and came up with a lot of the tricks and techniques that first parties shared. They created the PS3 MLAA implementation and a lot of other things. They're a massive part of why PS3 exclusives looked so good this gen and how the bar was able to be continually raised. They are Sony's special sauce.[/B]

yup. you nailed it.

edit: damnit double post, sorry

Boss Man

Thanks guys. Would be great if Sony really left things in the hands of top-quality devs like that.

So the sentence, "Kojima may be a secret ICE officer." is a real life thing that one could say?

i-Lo

ICE is the main tech team that did a ton of dedicated work on the PS3 and came up with a lot of the tricks and techniques that first parties shared. They created the PS3 MLAA implementation and a lot of other things. They're a massive part of why PS3 exclusives looked so good this gen and how the bar was able to be continually raised. They are Sony's special sauce.

Is ICE team also responsible for disseminating newer and better tools for the console's development kits among the third parties?

EvB

Because of 360 and PS3.

I know it isn't good one but it seem they are using this reason.

Also Ps2 was a nightmare to develop for also thanks to lack if tools/documentation

Also Microsoft are a Software company and they own DirectX, which allows for some ease of development you can't have on other formats.

Hmm, then why are we so quick to assume the neXBOX tools will be much easier/faster for developers?

i think most people assume software company = better at making tools for games. and yes, directX rules the roost with PC games currently but i hear a lot of complaining from developers as to the bloatiness of the directX API. that's where the phrase "coding to the metal" comes from, as you don't have much between your code and the hardware running it. as opposed to your code running through a layer or two before the hardware. that's about as generically as i can phrase it.

coldfoot

Banned
If anything, I'd suspect the multiplats on PS4 will be less susceptible to framerate drops in heavy action scenes due to higher bandwidth and more compute units, even if they look exactly the same.

Top Bottom