• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippo

ChrisRo, are you planning to make a mock-up of the full controller (the two detatchable parts connected) and maybe even the TV Dock unit?
That would be sweet!

BDGAME

Me beef on the controller. Implying both controller is one.

Features:
-Not reactangle screen
-L/R Knob (rotation)
-Screen charger/Plug to controller.

bhpaWH9.png
Nice design. I can see Nintendo doing something like that.

psyfi

Banned
Thing is the NX has the possibility of modular control schemes, they could add scroll wheels, touch pads, trackballs etc as extras. I'd like to see a scroll trigger but not sure how it'll work on one of these things.
I don't know. Add modular control schemes to what we already know about the NX and it starts to feel like this.

WY3PfAZ.png

Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Beautiful :)

Now I need to brace myself for that Star Fox anime horror gadget to be the real NX...

Sky Chief

Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

My opinions on this idea:

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy.

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.

I know people have said this won't be BC but imagine if you could mount the removable controllers info the side of the screen while it's in portrait mode for DS/3DS style gaming on one screen.

Nerrel

1. The PS4 is 2 1/2 years old. It came out November 2013.

2. A Nintendo console just isn't going to sell in the $300-350 range they'd probably need to make a profit from day one (which they must do) on each unit sold.

3. I don't think the underpowered part of the Wii U hurt it that much. The Wii was even more underpowered and sold gangbusters.

PS4 will be 3 1/2 by the time NX launches in March. That's the metric NX should be judged by if you're comparing it to the current systems.

I don't think it would need to be $350 to get near-XBox One level performance now, and I don't know why it "must" make a profit when the last two systems Nintendo released did not.

Wii U's inability to outperform or even match the performance of 6-7 year old systems without substantial framerate drops was a major part of the negative reaction to the system at and even before launch (previews made it clear it was not going to deliver better ports). If it had cost $250, that might have been forgivable, but at $350 that dated hardware absolutely was part of the problem. It was a bad value proposition, even if the gamepad had been capable of doing something interesting to make up for it.

Again, this is still a handheld, not a console. Expecting even a cutting edge handheld to compete with the current generation of consoles is not a reasonable expectation. It's the expectation of a fanboy's wetdream.

We were talking about expectations... who was really expecting the NX to be a handheld with TV connectivity rather than something at least more vaguely resembling a console? You can say that it was always likely to be portable now, in retrospect, but clearly no one had any idea what this system was before the leaks. Speculation threads were all over the place.

tr1p1ex

No, that's not. Have you ever tried VR ? With a 720p/800p screen ?

You're leaving out the qualification I made. The image is going to be blocky old school graphics.

Don't think you need a 1080p screen for VR if all you're going to do are simple old school blocky graphics.

And yes I've tried VIVE and GearVR.

I don't know. Add modular control schemes to what we already know about the NX and it starts to feel like this.

WY3PfAZ.png

They achieved great success with that on the Wii :D

ChrisRo, I like it but aren't those controls a little small if it's less tall than a 3DS? I think a 7-8 inch screen would be more like what we should expect, but the concept works the same.

Edit: nvm you must mean the XL!

pixelation

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy.

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.

That looks good, that also looks nothing like something Nintendo would put out. It doesn't scream Fisher Price. To be blunt, Nintendo are cheap and they will use the cheapest available components for their hardware... although i'd love to be proven wrong.

Delio

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Love it. Give me a few colors at launch and I'd be happy with it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Everyone keeps making these nice mockups with the flat edges, but there's a far greater chance the side controller pieces are shaped like the ones in mstudios mockup (when connected, they form a traditional controller shape with grips). These mockups with the flat edges would form a tiny controller and that wouldn't work at all.

majik13

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Like the ergonomic molding around the triggers. but like all the mock ups here, these would still be really uncomfortable to play. youd need to offset the sticks and buttons so they are not vertically aligned.

KeigoNiwa

That looks good, that also looks nothing like something Nintendo would put out. It doesn't scream Fisher Price. To be blunt, Nintendo are cheap and they will use the cheapest available components for their hardware... although i'd love to be proven wrong.
I would argue that the original 3DS didn't look fisher price at all, and actually looked rather sleek and high tech at the time.

But you're right, majority of the time they don't go the "stylish" route..

KAL2006

Banned

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Great mock up but I am still not a fan of 2 attachments. Nintendo could save a lot of money by having one attachment with all the controls at the bottom. If we were to go with your design I'd atleast want the 2 attachments to be wider so the D pad can be off centre to the analogue for more comfortable use. Same with the right analogue and buttons. I'd also bundle in a plastic attachment that's only purpose is to serve as a attachment for both controllers to be combined for people who don't like the split design. This shouldn't cost much as it's just a price of plastic.

Costia

You're leaving out the qualification I made. The image is going to be blocky old school graphics.
Don't think you need a 1080p screen for VR if all you're going to do are simple old school blocky graphics.
And yes I've tried VIVE and GearVR.
I have tried the gear VR and you can clearly see the pixels. And that's a 1440p display.
At 720p each pixel will be twice the size in each dimension. At that resolution it will be a blocky mess with a very strong screendoor effect. Possible blurry as well, because AFAIK VR requires good anti-aliasing.

G.ZZZ

That's a sexy mockup but the controllers standalone are like 2" inches long. You can't use those. It's literally impossible. 3" is the minimum ( the original game boy was 3.5"), and 4" is where it start to get reasonable to use. The dualshock is the smallest controller on the market right now and it's 6"+, i don't think you can go much smaller than that and retain ergonomicity on the hands . Also the circle pads have to be in a different position, more to the left, if they're placed higher than the cross.

Well, i guess you said it yourself, those aren't standalone controllers.

We were talking about expectations... who was really expecting the NX to be a handheld with TV connectivity rather than something at least more vaguely resembling a console? You can say that it was always likely to be portable now, in retrospect, but clearly no one had any idea what this system was before the leaks. Speculation threads were all over the place.

We were talking about reasonable expectations. People have been speculating about a hybrid ever since the NX was announced, and the power envelope of a hybrid will always be limited by its portable form factor, so at least some version of the NX being a handheld was an obvious logical conclusion. What was not as obvious is whether there would be a separate home console version or not, and we still don't have the answer to that question.

Everyone keeps making these nice mockups with the flat edges, but there's a far greater chance the side controller pieces are shaped like the ones in mstudios mockup (when connected, they form a traditional controller shape with grips). These mockups with the flat edges would form a tiny controller and that wouldn't work at all.

Not sure about mstudios idea but I would like to see more ways that the controllers would connect, I don't think magnets would do and they can't really have bits poking out the side either, so there probably do need to be some overlapping sections of some sort.
Suppose fold out plugs could be an alternative.

psyfi

Banned
I would argue that the original 3DS didn't look fisher price at all, and actually looked rather sleek and high tech at the time.

But you're right, majority of the time they don't go the "stylish" route..
The original 3DS wasn't as bad as the original DS, but it was pretty awful. The multi-leveled, multi-textured plastic was ugly as hell and made the thing look cheap.

I personally love bright colored handhelds, and definitely prefer them over sleek / ultra modern. The Blue DSi and colored Vita models are the pinnacle of handheld design in my eye. It's easy to make that more playful aesthetic look too childish and too cheap, though. Nintendo's gotta be careful.

I'm sorry, why is the control detachable again, ?
1. So that people can take the tablet on the go, if they want.
2. Instant, anywhere two player multiplayer.
3. Motion controls.
4. They could potentially be combined to make a more traditional controller. Perhaps with some sort of shell in the middle.

Servbot24

Banned
The system can connect to your TV. If it's docked, you could upclock the system for better graphics while using the controllers to transition to a console experience.

I just hope there's a middle section that the conroller sections reattached to when the body is docked. I don't want to have to play with half a controller or two pieces of a controller.

I hope this mechanism is worth it. Seems like it would be easier to just have a separate controller for TV mode .

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm sorry, why is the control detachable again, ?

For local multiplayer on the go. I personally don't like it as it will add bulk and limit the controller. It is such a limited application I don't think the positives are worth the drawbacks personally. Most multiplayer is going to be on the big TV at home so people can get out the a NX pro controller. The controller and lack of a TV only version are just baffling IMO.

Koren

The original 3DS wasn't as bad as the original DS, but it was pretty awful.
I actually think the original 3DS is far, far worse than the original DS.

I never felt the urge to change my original DS, and ended using it for the whole generation.

Nearly as soon as the 3DS XL was available, I bought one to replace my launch 3DS. The thing is the most incomfortable thing Nintendo designed since... well since forever, for all I can tell. Far too many angle.

I don't see what people have against original DS. Granted, it's not sleek, but it's comfortable.

psyfi

Banned
Man, I really hope the dock is the supplemental computing device we've seen in patents. That'd really help sell me on the idea of this thing being a true hybrid. Otherwise it's just a handheld with TV out. I think Nintendo needs the SCD if they want people to embrace the NX as a living room machine.

I just hope there's a middle section that the conroller sections reattached to when the body is docked. I don't want to have to play with half a controller or two pieces of a controller.

I hope this mechanism is worth it. Seems like it would be easier to just have a separate controller for TV mode .

I actually prefer two untethered controllers. It allows for better motion controls and pointer functionality than a single traditional controller.

It also future proofs any upgrades for VR.

heringer

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Great mockup! I would love a nunchuk + wiimote like controller combo again.

If I may, I have one suggestion. Sorry for butchering your work, did a quick change on paint, lol.

wzWb.jpg

It would feel more confortable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom