• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as it's more powerfull than a WiiU, in portable form, i'll be hyper impressed. We'll hear everyone complains it's a lame gap when it's actually amazing. We'll go straight from.. i don't know, Golden Abyss being the most advanced (or Kill Zone Vita) portable game, to potentially a console doing way better (more power for a lower resolution) than Breath of the Wild or Xenoblade Chronicles X.. Remembering those Chronicle X gifs, and realizing this will be lower than what a Nintendo portable can do, that's crazy..

Now for the tv mode, i wonder how much the clock speed difference can be.

Then again, if X1 is indeed confirmed, they could get something faster than Wii U even at 720p.

But yeah, that's also why I'm cautious about X1. Seems more to be Eurogamer speculation because of Nvidia being responsible for the chip.

Also the gap between Vita and X1, even at 300mhz, would be a full generational one. I'm not even talking about 3DS.

As for TV mode, it's pretty simple. Don't imagine you're upping the clockspeed but that you're downclock it when removed. TV mode clockspeed would be 1ghz in the case of X1, so 512gflops. While handheld mode would be between 300 to 500mhz So between 153 to 256gflops.

As for X2, we dont know specs yet. I'd imagine it'd be 1.2Ghz so 921Gflops with 384 shader cores in TV mode and 300 to 500mhz in handheld mode, so 230 to 384 gflops.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently according to Super Metal Dave Nintendo not only patented the supplemental device that would "upgrade" the console but they also fully paid for it. So that's kind of interesting I guess. There seem to be things that are missing and that we don't know yet. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though.
The SCD patent will be granted on August 16, as I wrote in the dedicated thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=211696305&postcount=140

Posting just in case someone missed that.

Wiped89

NX leak confirmed:

M3OIHj2.png

Oh my God. I have a real, honest fear that this is it. It's such a weird design to create from scratch just for a kids' TV animation. And the detachable looking bits match up perfectly to what we've heard. And it's ugly as sin, which fits with what we know about Nintendo aesthetic design philosophies.

All these cool mock-ups in this thread, and it's going to look like this isn't it? :(

KeigoNiwa

May I ask, where are we getting information about Tegra X2, I swear I'm looking it up and I can literally find NOTHING round the internet that isn't NX related. How do we all know the X2 is actually a thing

orioto

Good Art™
My opinions on this idea:

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

Nice mockup but don't get the logic here. If the detachable pads are just for cosmetics, what's the point in having them detachable.. Cause if you hve to keep them in your pocket, it takes some space in the end. i would rather prefer a PSP GO solution if it's really just about having a phone without buttons directly..

kami_sama

Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly. They're detachable because it makes this the perfect competitor to phones which really only suck because they don't have proper controls, in which case it can be sold to young people buying their first phone which is where Nintendo's handheld market is currently being gouged out. The idea that it's "too hard", and Nintendo should abandon their biggest market to go after the saturated home console market mid-cycle is ridiculous. You want something hard? Try selling a $400 console to people who already own one. Meanwhile we're not going to run out of teenagers buying their first phones anytime soon and that could be a huge market for Nintendo.

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy.

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.

My favorite concept yet. Good looking, with all the necessary controls, and ergonomic.
But like someone else said, I'd change the position of the ABXY buttons to the upper area.

egruntz

shelaughz
Here's a mockup I created for this concept, taking some creative liberties with it. This is with a 5" screen. It is a little slimmer and less tall than a 3DS, but wider with the controllers attached.

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

-With the controllers detachable, this could be one of the best VR solutions out there if sold with a Galaxy Gear-like headset and maybe a motion tracking device, because you could take the controller bits off, place the device into the headset and use the motion controls from those two controllers similar to Vive's or Oculus'.

-Why are people complaining about power? This is an example of Nintendo focusing on power for the first time in a long time - if they're using the Tegra X2 especially, this is about the most powerful handheld you could possibly build. If Sony wanted to do their Sony thing of releasing a more powerful handheld right after to compete with it they would have a hard time. This would be the most powerful handheld ever, which is a huge departure from the DS and 3DS strategy.

-Combining their handheld and home console software production will partly eliminate software droughts.

I hate you, because now this is my expectation.

kami_sama

May I ask, where are we getting information about Tegra X2, I swear I'm looking it up and I can literally find NOTHING round the internet that isn't NX related. How do we all know the X2 is actually a thing

Because it's already used in some automotion modules from Nvidia, in conjunction with Pascal GPUs.

GamerJM

Banned

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

This is so damn good. It might be one of the best mockups I've ever seen. I want this now @_@.

Anth0ny

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

yeah this looks awesome and is close to what I picture.

unfortunately, I don't think they'll go with analog sticks or triggers :(

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Where are the scroll wheel triggers? Im still in love with the concept and I'll seriously be disappointed if Nintendo doesn't go for it.

BD1

Banned

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

This is a great mockup. Kudos.

I still think they may go with two physical sticks on each side and touchscreen buttons with feedback a'la the patents and GAF freakout of a few months ago. Its the only way two controller multiplayer in the conventional sense works, that or swappable buttons.

So many what ifs, even after the leak.

Timeaisis

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Oh mama where is my wallet

Matbtz

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Very good job ! Nice looking mockup and it looks ergonomic too ! Quick, send this to Nintendo with your resume to save us all !

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Like everyone else, I love this. I would like to see your version of what it would look like -if- the detachable sides were meant to be controllers (as I am expecting is the case).

Super well done!

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

You fucking delivered with this mock up. Bravo!

tr1p1ex

It's not about graphics or artstyle. It's about physical pain. It looks terrible because the lens are blowing up the pixels at 720p, making everything blurry.

But that's why you move back a few eras when they did cool things with fewer(bigger) pixels.

The requirements for a high res in VR that you read about regarding Oculus and Vive are aimed at the photo-realistic type images that they want to display.

I'm saying take your imagination to as far back as the NES era resolution graphics.

But that's why you move back a few eras when they did cool things with fewer(bigger) pixels.

The requirements for a high res in VR that you read about regarding Oculus and Vive are aimed at the photo-realistic type images that they want to display.

I'm saying take your imagination to as far back as the NES era resolution graphics.

No, you don't get it, it's not about seeing good and lovely pixels. It's about seeing a blownout display.

look321

Neo Member

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

Great job. This is really polished work, an ideal product concept based on the reports.

Personally I still hope the actual product is something more than this, but by no means this is bad.

LQX

Super excited for this as all those potential amazing games the handled mostly got I can now can play on the TV if I choose. Sucks about BC but oh well, time to see all those games I was sitting on.

Also, I'm glad Nintendo once again decided to go another route. I just hope it pays off this time. I think it will.

Jeez between the Nvidia Announcement at the end of the month, The Patent filing and the September reveal rumor

We are on the fast track to getting the full reveal arent we?

Its finally happening

tommyguns

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

What a fantastic mock up. THIS is what I want if all the rumors are true. Thanks to you, my expectations will now be set to high ;)

Wiped89

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

The only problem with this mockup, as someone pointed out about others a few pages back, is that the analogue sticks can't be directly above the d-pad and buttons, but need to be above and just to the left/right. Look at the current Wii U Gamepad to see what I mean. Now imagine switching your thumb from buttons to stick on your console. So it needs to be a tiny bit wider to allow for that, otherwise - amazing job! Shame the real thing won't look half as good.

psyfi

Banned
I don't see how anyone can look at ChrisRo's mock-up and think this thing won't be successful. I mean, damn. It's the perfect gaming tablet for kids, and a pretty fucking cool gadget for gamers of all ages. Nintendo just needs to nail the look of the hardware, and ideally find a way to get at least the most popular iOS / Android apps on it, though I don't think the apps parity is as necessary as some think.
-The controllers aren't detachable so that two people can play with them, that's silly.
I totally disagree with this point, though. Look at Nintendo's focus on local multiplayer and look at how effortlessly audiences hopped on the idea of using the Wiimote in it's horizontal orientation as a basic traditional controller. I absolutely think Nintendo is going to market the detachable controllers as instant, anywhere multiplayer.

Mesoian

Lnyc6Io.jpg

8LPfzjc.jpg

I would likely buy this.

Where are the scroll wheel triggers? Im still in love with the concept and I'll seriously be disappointed if Nintendo doesn't go for it.

Thing is the NX has the possibility of modular control schemes, they could add scroll wheels, touch pads, trackballs etc as extras. I'd like to see a scroll trigger but not sure how it'll work on one of these things.

Amazing mock-up, ChrisRo. I really hope you're onto something--the NX could wind up being a compilation of all my favorite bits from Nintendo's recent hardware:

- Portability/Off-screen play
- Touchscreen
- Bifurcated form-factor
- Motion/gyro

Just reveal it already, Nintendo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom