• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

This has to be bull but I dont know enough about PC hardware to know correctly. Why is this if true even a thing.

Same reason GHz/MHz don't mean the same amount of performance on different CPU architectures and horsepower doesn't always tell you exactly how fast a car can go.

maxcriden

The NX doesn't need to be pocketable, just portable.

It makes no sense to build a device using one of the most power hungry mobile chips and shrinking it to 3DS XL size, giving it a crap screen and shit for battery life. You can't call that a hybrid just because you put TV outputs on it. It should be closer to the size of a Wii U gamepad. Those who want more portable can keep using their 3DS.

And what would be the point of detachable controller if it's a 3 inch screen? Are we gonna waggle a mini wiimote in front of a 3 inch screen?

It would be a waste of power if this has anything less than a 5" screen, and I agree I don't think Nintendo is worried about making it pocketable just portable.

The biggest prospect I can see is this console cleaning up with the Japanese market. The Vita and 3DS are on life support and this gives the current PS4 exclusive games a other avenue to sell too.

Speaking of the JP market, that's where I'm concerned something iPad size won't be a big hit. You go too big with a portable, like make it Wii U GamePad size in that market and I'm concerned it won't take off in droves there in the way Nintendo will probably need it to. 5-6" is my prediction.

BTW, about those detachable controllers. If they truly are two separate controllers as Eurogamer reported, I suspect they'll just be small and simple with a basic analog stick and a few buttons. Hopefully not ludicrously small, but FWIW as others speculated they could slide partially behind the screen and be larger than they appear when taken off.

Reasons for 540p screen
1) Better battery life just because it's not having to power as many panel lights.
2) GPU can also downclock fairly substantially further improving battery life while maintaining roughly the same quality otherwise.
3) screen will likely be VITA size (slightly smaller or slightly bigger)
4) assets are easier to develop if you make one texture and then another downsampled for 540p. Asset production pipeline is an important consideration of devs.

720p screen shouldn't really be a consideration. asset production issues, no clean scaling, battery life wouldn't be drastically better than a 1080 screen.

1080p screen has the advantage of handheld and console mode produce the same resolution. however, it means non-resolution variables have to be dropped in order to allow the GPU to downclock for battery longevity.

at this point in time, 540p screen is the best solution for optimizing battery life and allowing for high quality on the go experiences.

Thraktor

With all of this, you're pretty much assuming that LCGeek's comments about the CPU were incorrect? Because all of those options are 50-80% slower than PS4's CPU.

It depends entirely on what measure LCGeek is using. By blu's matrix benchmark that octo-core A53 at 1GHz would be pretty damn close to PS4's CPU, and the 750MHz A72s would actually comfortably outperform PS4's 1.6GHz Jaguars by some measures. More importantly, though, everything I stated there was clocked as it would be with handheld thermal/power restrictions. If there's a "docked mode" where clocks increase, then all of those options could clock a lot higher than I have them there (i.e. 2-3x).

maxcriden

"Between 3.1" and 5". Nobody ever said it would have a 3.1 sku, which would be foolish to even assume considering that the original 3DS was 3.5" and the new is 4".

I meant to reply to this also just to add to it and say the XLs are about 4.9. As you said, OG is 3.5 and N3DS is 3.9.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
No, it's not how it works, you can be CPU limited. But in a GPU limited scenario, you definitely get more performances. I never said you'd get 60fps, I said you'd get better framerate or better visuals.

I'm sorry, I read it as you saying an 80% decrease in resolution would lead to an 80% increase in framerate when you were just saying that you could use the extra headroom for a higher framerate. My bad.

daakusedo

And I'm not sure why you're focusing on the high end of the rangfe as if there's no range at all. It's clearly a guess. WSJ runs such reports all the time; they're not presenting it as a leak or something they heard, but rather they're reporting on what a research firm said. Also, notice how that range is perfect match for the 3DS screen size range. There's no way that's a coincidence.

You wouldn't want to use assets made for 480i on 540p, though. You'd want to use HD assets since that's a better fit, especially if it's meant to upscale to 1080p anyway. There's no real benefit to using two different sets of assets for two different resolutions on the same hardware.

It's not the first time he seek info where there isn't, like that 900p gfk survey months ago...

MuchoMalo

Banned
This has to be bull but I dont know enough about PC hardware to know correctly. Why is this if true even a thing.

Same reason GHz/MHz don't mean the same amount of performance on different CPU architectures and horsepower doesn't always tell you exactly how fast a car can go.

The funny thing is that this is how you calculate single-precision GFLOPS: [Number of ALUs] x [clock speed in GHz] x 2

Reasons for 540p screen
1) Better battery life just because it's not having to power as many panel lights.
2) GPU can also downclock fairly substantially further improving battery life while maintaining roughly the same quality otherwise.
3) screen will likely be VITA size (slightly smaller or slightly bigger)
4) assets are easier to develop if you make one texture and then another downsampled for 540p. Asset production pipeline is an important consideration of devs.

720p screen shouldn't really be a consideration. asset production issues, no clean scaling, battery life wouldn't be drastically better than a 1080 screen.

1080p screen has the advantage of handheld and console mode produce the same resolution. however, it means non-resolution variables have to be dropped in order to allow the GPU to downclock for battery longevity.

at this point in time, 540p screen is the best solution for optimizing battery life and allowing for high quality on the go experiences.

But a 720p screen may be cheaper since it's more common and easier to source. Everything upscales from 720p to 1080p well already anyway. I'm also adamant that 5" is much too small of a screen size for the side controllers to work or to get anything good in terms of performance out of this thing.

maxcriden

I disagree the Wii U Pad size is horrible. Gaming on such a huge device game me hand cramps. With a tablet it's okay as you are touching just a screen. But the Wii U Pad was uncomfortable to hold as you were holding something too wide.

The best bet is to go something between a 5 inch and 6 inch screen. To keep the system even smaller they should have slide out controls like the Xperia Play. This isn't poke table but it's really portable and easy to take with you on a commute as it's around the size of a 3DS XL which would be the perfect size.

5 to 6 inch screen is perfect and everyone is used to this size due to their phablet phones. It is also the perfect size to not scare away handheld gamer audience. The average handheld gamer would be annoyed with carrying around something the size of a Wii U Pad. Finally 540p is perfect. As someone who has a Vita native games look great on it. Remember people happily played COD4 on 360 on HDTVs which was about 540p and had no issues. On a small screen games would look beautiful. Remember this is a gaming main and not primarily a smart device for photography and reading so something sharp is unnecessary.

Great post. I just wanted to say I agree with exactly what you wrote here and this is precisely what I expect from the HH. Including potentially slide-out or partially obscured controls for the detachable controllers on each side.

The XL line is vastly more popular than the small 3DSs, so the only way I can see Nintendo going with a small screen is if they are already planning to release a new XL iteration a year after launch.

And considering the current state Nintendo is in, I can't see them taking chances like that.

I agree. The only reason I personally prefer the smaller size is the pixel density issue with the XL, but with even 540p we wouldn't have that problem anymore.

MuchoMalo

Banned
It depends entirely on what measure LCGeek is using. By blu's matrix benchmark that octo-core A53 at 1GHz would be pretty damn close to PS4's CPU, and the 750MHz A72s would actually comfortably outperform PS4's 1.6GHz Jaguars by some measures. More importantly, though, everything I stated there was clocked as it would be with handheld thermal/power restrictions. If there's a "docked mode" where clocks increase, then all of those options could clock a lot higher than I have them there (i.e. 2-3x).

That sounds really situational. I don't see why something likely 2-3x as thick as your average flagship smartphone would need to run at less than half the clock speed, even with only 4 cores. I also doubt that devs are using that benchmark in game development.

DESTROYA

Speaking of the JP market, that's where I'm concerned something iPad size won't be a big hit. You go too big with a portable, like make it Wii U GamePad size in that market and I'm concerned it won't take off in droves there in the way Nintendo will probably need it to. 5-6" is my prediction.

BTW, about those detachable controllers. If they truly are two separate controllers as Eurogamer reported, I suspect they'll just be small and simple with a basic analog stick and a few buttons. Hopefully not ludicrously small, but FWIW as others speculated they could slide partially behind the screen and be larger than they appear when taken off.

Even I don't want a iPad size just something a bit bigger than 5".Maybe iPad mini size, personally I would prefer at least a 6"-7"screen .

KamiCrit

We need to spin up those #TeamReal and #TeamFake avatars again. Can't believe this Eurogamer article has spawned a 200 page thread.

Regardless, I really hope Nintendo will shoehorn GCN games into the NX.

2017 Year of Sunshine HD

maxcriden

If this system is not HD in both portable and home use then it will be utterly destroyed.

This isn't a 3DS XL+

Non HD gaming is no longer acceptable, not even in portable. If Nintendo can't build a portable tablet size device capable of 720p HD gaming with acceptable battery life then the NX is doomed.

I'm posting this on my 2 year old Shield Tablet with a Tegra K1 that plays PC games in 1080p for 3 hours... It's not that hard.

Forgive my super dumb question in advance, but when looking directly at, say, a Vita, with its 540p screen, when holding the device at the regular length from your face, is it easily discernible to the naked eye that it's not looking at a 720p screen?

borborygmus

Forgive my super dumb question in advance, but when looking directly at, say, a Vita, with its 540p screen, when holding the device at the regular length from your face, is it easily discernible to the naked eye that it's not looking at a 720p screen?

High pixel density displays look great. High ppi (pixels per inch) is very discernible. Supposedly 300 ppi is the at the top end of what's discernible to the naked eye, although that's just a number that's thrown around; I'm not sure what the actual upper limit would be (and it depends on the distance from the screen of course). A 5" screen at 720p works out to 293ppi, which is actually still lower than the iPhone 6's 326ppi.

edit: the Vita has a pixel density of ~220ppi

tl;dr: it should be discernible.

maxcriden

No prob! And sorry I missed that--it's been tough keeping up with the multiple threads.

Yeah, it would be the cheapest solution for sure. Just an HDMI controller, power connector, hub for ports, and maybe a couple other miscellaneous things I'm forgetting. Depending on how they design the hardware, they could replace the cheap dock with an SCD perhaps somewhere down the road.

Oh, no sweat of course. Thanks man. I agree they should design the HH as future-proof as possible, though surely it will have its own revisions. But customers will be most pleased I'm sure to have the option to upgrade whichever part they prefer to.

The point is that it wouldn't keep the cost down. To make the GPU run faster when on AC would cost exactly 0$, especially when you consider that there's absolutely 0% that they go for anything above half the nominal clock of the GPU in handheld mode for consumption reasons.

Ah, I didn't understand that. So, it will be no more expensive to make the games look automatically better on the console, then. Hopefully they do that. Thanks for the info.

Yup, it's not technically "SD" either, although that could just be a small error in Huenry's wording. Your second question is exactly what I was wondering. Maybe someone else can chime in. HD text can be difficult/impossible to read if displayed in SD, but other assets? Not sure.

You wouldn't want to use assets made for 480i on 540p, though. You'd want to use HD assets since that's a better fit, especially if it's meant to upscale to 1080p anyway. There's no real benefit to using two different sets of assets for two different resolutions on the same hardware.

Thanks for the info, Malo. Perhaps the tweeter wasn't talking about NX, then.

But a 720p screen may be cheaper since it's more common and easier to source. Everything upscales from 720p to 1080p well already anyway. I'm also adamant that 5" is much too small of a screen size for the side controllers to work or to get anything good in terms of performance out of this thing.

What's the sweet spot on a screen size for you?

Even I don't want a iPad size just something a bit bigger than 5".Maybe iPad mini size, personally I would prefer at least a 6"-7"screen .

FWIW, iPad Mini has no controllers on the sides. That size is going to be pretty bulky judging by the Wii U GamePad and its 6.2" screen. I'm not sure how portable that would feel.

We need to spin up those #TeamReal and #TeamFake avatars again. Can't believe this Eurogamer article has spawned a 200 page thread.

Regardless, I really hope Nintendo will shoehorn GCN games into the NX.

2017 Year of Sunshine HD

I imagine we will finally get GCN games on VC.

I don't think we will get Sunshine HD, though, any more than we've gotten any VC games in HD. 480p as with Wii. I doubt Nintendo wants to out in the herculean effort of having to make their least successful (in sales* and just as a game) 3D Mario fully remade to be a great game. The game has a lot of issues and would require more remaking than any prior HD or 3DS renake.

*Ok technically based on the last numbers we have, 3DW sold .4 M fewer copies, but relative to install base, I think there's no question 3DW was wildly successful in comparison.

maxcriden

High pixel density displays look great. High ppi (pixels per inch) is very discernible. Supposedly 300 ppi is the at the top end of what's discernible to the naked eye, although that's just a number that's thrown around; I'm not sure what the actual upper limit would be (and it depends on the distance from the screen of course). A 5" screen at 720p works out to 293ppi, which is actually still lower than the iPhone 6's 326ppi.

Thank you for this info! Bearing this in mind, I'm really curious specifically what the discernable difference is for a 520p screen vs. a 720p then, in terms if when the eye is...what's a normal distance when using a game...10 inches from the eye?

And I'm not sure why you're focusing on the high end of the rangfe as if there's no range at all. It's clearly a guess. WSJ runs such reports all the time; they're not presenting it as a leak or something they heard, but rather they're reporting on what a research firm said. Also, notice how that range is perfect match for the 3DS screen size range. There's no way that's a coincidence.

The high end of the range is the one that makes sense. I thought the report might add to the discussion. You're free to carry on.

It's not the first time he seek info where there isn't, like that 900p gfk survey months ago...

Wow. Thanks, bud. Good contribution to the conversation.

Thraktor

That sounds really situational. I don't see why something likely 2-3x as thick as your average flagship smartphone would need to run at less than half the clock speed, even with only 4 cores. I also doubt that devs are using that benchmark in game development.

All benchmarks are situational, and it's entirely possible that a game developer would use a similar benchmark when evaluating new hardware.

The clock speed phone SoCs operate at is irrelevant, as they only clock up to high speeds for very short bursts, and mostly operate at much lower clocks, with most cores disabled. A gaming device is going to need all cores running at constant clock speed, so unless they want a 5 minute battery life or the back of the handheld to melt off in your hands, they're going to have to go a lot lower than the peak clocks of mobile SoCs.

Oregano

I was personally expecting the NX/3DS successor to have either a 480p or 540p display(trending towards the lower end) when the expectation was roughly equivalent to Wii U powerwise(in the same way 3DS is roughly equivalent to Wii) but it looks like Nintendo might be going quite comfortably above that so I wouldn't really rule out 720p.

It also depends when these decisions were made. If the NX delay was to wait for newer fab process then it was probably a change of decision somewhere along the lines. Up the resolution of the screen could easily have gone hand in hand. Especially if it actually works out cheaper to source 720p screens.

MuchoMalo

Banned
All benchmarks are situational, and it's entirely possible that a game developer would use a similar benchmark when evaluating new hardware.

The clock speed phone SoCs operate at is irrelevant, as they only clock up to high speeds for very short bursts, and mostly operate at much lower clocks, with most cores disabled. A gaming device is going to need all cores running at constant clock speed, so unless they want a 5 minute battery life or the back of the handheld to melt off in your hands, they're going to have to go a lot lower than the peak clocks of mobile SoCs.

That doesn't seem like something LCGeek would be talking about though. Also, in the 3DMark Ice Storm benchmark Jaguar absolutely annihilates any ARM core when both are at the same speed. If the clock speeds are that low, I'm positive that we'll be looking at cores when barely even beat Wii U's.

That doesn't seem like something LCGeek would be talking about though. Also, in the 3DMark Ice Storm benchmark Jaguar absolutely annihilates any ARM core when both are at the same speed. If the clock speeds are that low, I'm positive that we'll be looking at cores when barely even beat Wii U's.

Link to said benchmark ?

Malo, why even bring up 480i? Nobody would make assets for that resolution, regardless of platform. It seems much more likley that he was talking about sub-HD resolutions and not the exact definitions like ED, qHD, etc.

The Unity SD/HD/UD 2D asset thing is just a generic term used in multi resolutions AFAIK, the only thing it suggests is that there is some level of multi resolution support planned.

.what's a normal distance when using a game...10 inches from the eye?

Not when there's two of you playing with different controllers 🤔

What if all you get is the tablet and controllers? Dock could be sold separately to those who want it. Would keep the price down. Especially if it's the SCD. Or for another choice for cheaper TV play, a wireless HDMI adapter available separately. No graphics gains from the SCD dock but still playable on TV.

ASIS

My biggest worry from all of this is whether or not the docking theory is even possible. How much would it cost if they did that?

I don't know why, but the whole "dock that will supercharge the console" seems a little off to me. But we never know.

Vena

"How do #unity3d peeps deal with HD/SD assets? Running out of VRAM on a super secret potential platform."

Yeah, that doesn't bode well.

Actually given what we know, it may relate to scaling SD to HD assets but not having easy ways of fitting all that into memory. I fully expect the handheld sceen to be qHD or SD, in such a scenario HD assets make zero sense.

Portugeezer

DF made a video about whether Tegra X1 could emulate GCN/Wii games, and for the most part, it seems that at native 480p GCN seems easily emulated, some games also are fine at 1080p. Other games not so good at 1080p, but then again these are unofficial emulators made by enthusiasts, I am sure Nintendo could probably get achieve the framerates they need.

They made the video private again, I have a 360p version though.

maxcriden

Unfoirtunately, I think the controllers would be too small to be usable if the screen is smaller than Wii U's. The ideal size for a pure portable would be 5-5.5".

Hmm. I'm holding my Moto E sideways right now and it's about the same size as one of the panels on thebside if the Wii U GamePad. Holding it sideways it's an okay size for a secondary controller in a pinch. I can see what you're saying that if it were much smaller it would be too small. What do you mean about a oure portable, though?

Perhaps somehow Eurogamer is wrong about the two separate detachable controllers and it really is a piece one and piece two controller. But then people will lose one side. I guess it probably really is two detachables. But the GamePad I'm convinced is just too damn big for a portable. So I don't know where that leaves us. Perhaps there will be a partially obscured section of the controllers after all.

Also, perhaps the bulkiness of the GamePad ia skewing my perspective.

"How do #unity3d peeps deal with HD/SD assets? Running out of VRAM on a super secret potential platform."

Yeah, that doesn't bode well.

Well, not knowing how hard he's trting to push the system, we don't know if that bodes poorly or not. ☺

The Unity SD/HD/UD asset thing is just a generic term used in multi resolutions AFAIK, the only thing it suggests is that there is some level of multi resolution support planned.

Not when there's two of you playing with different controllers 🤔

Ah, ok. So they don't actually have to make two separate sets of assets. You and Malo both significantly helped me understand this better. Thank you both.

Regarding two people playing on just the handheld, what's the setup for that? Like a little stand on a table?

What if all you get is the tablet and controllers? Dock could be sold separately to those who want it. Would keep the price down. Especially if it's the SCD. Or for another choice for cheaper TV play, a wireless HDMI adapter available separately. No graphics gains from the SCD dock but still playable on TV.

I think the marketing would be a mess then. Two many options will be confusing, and not including the dock in the initial SKU will make it hard for customers to appreciate the idea of the idea and value proposition of a HH and console in one.

As another poster said above, merely improving the performance via a dock won't cost any more than just having a dock that serves as an HDMI out (if I understood correctly).

maxcriden

Actually given what we know, it may relate to scaling SD to HD assets but not having easy ways of fitting all that into memory. I fully expect the handheld sceen to be qHD or SD, in such a scenario HD assets make zero sense.

I thought Malo was saying on the previous page that if 540 they'd just use HD assets? Maybe I misunderstood that though. Perhaps those assets would be too much of a drain on the system to display?

Would they really make two sets of assets? Or do you just mean they'd have to scale them to be SD assets instead?

DF made a video about whether Tegra X1 could emulate GCN/Wii games, and for the most part, it seems that at native 480p GCN seems easily emulated, some games also are fine at 1080p. Other games not so good at 1080p, but then again these are unofficial emulators made by enthusiasts, I am sure Nintendo could probably get achieve the framerates they need.

That's great to know. Thank you. FWIW, I don't think Nintendo would bother outputting GCN games above 480p. They could have done so surely with Wii games (or any previous system games) on Wii Unand chose not to.

[snip]5" is still too small for those detachable controllers to work. It only works if it's at least 6" imo. Also, if you're taking the IHS report as more than a guess, it means that 3.1" was at least considered at one point, does it not? That report is speculation and nothing more. I'm also not convinced that the indie dev was talking about NX, and even if he was it's possible that his game was sub-native. 540p isn't even SD in the first place...[/snip]
i already adressed the multiplayer on the go thing already. But why are you asuming this is the key feature of the detachable controllers?

maxcriden

As long as we're really up rumors and sound bites, does anyne have one handy about how the Wii U VC architecture was being designed to be brought forward into future HW? I feel certain I read that once, maybe from Iwata-san.

Yes some kind of pop out stand built in according to EG.

Ah, I see. Thanks GH. For some reason I assumed in the mock-up that the stand shown was just a peripheral. Did they say somewhere that it was part of the device? Clever design if so.

Genio88

Well well well, here we are, Nintendo did it again, i'm in the hype train now and i think that i'm gonna buy this console day one if the price really is about 200$....i hope i won't end up like i did with 3DS and WiiU, day one purchase, few months of enjoyment, then sold them due to lack of games and interest to play with those system compared to others

maxcriden

i already adressed the multiplayer on the go thing already. But why are you asuming this is the key feature of the detachable controllers?

Maybe I misunderstood, but I think in that post he wasn't referring to MP on the go so much as merely the physical size a screen would need to be to have certain size controllers on either side of it. So just a comment on dimensions. Maybe I misread it, though. I do think MP on the go will be a secondary feature but not the key feature. I think the key feature will be two separate controllers you can use at home. Also, another secondary feature as others have pointed out would be the ability to swap in different kinds of controller peripherals for the HH, which speaks to a previous modular controller patent.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

So, I suppose it's up on your YouTube channel, or you just saved it? Anyway, I hope DF makes it public again soon, I'm interested :p

LewieP

I still think that 540p makes the most sense if there is also somewhat more powerful home console that plays all the same games but at 1080p. Same applies if there is some kind of dock with additional GPU/CPU/RAM, but I don't really think such a solution is likely.

I'd also imagine that in (say) two years time they could make an XL handheld with a 720p screen.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Link to said benchmark ?

It turns out that was off, but my point still somewhat stands. Unfortunately I can't link directly, but if you scroll down these pages to the Ice Storm Unlimited Physics scores you'll see that the AMD A6-5200 (quad-core, 2GHz Jaguar) scores 25304 points, while the Tegra X1's (how relevant) 1.9 GHz Cortex A-72's score is 24349 in the Shield TV (so nobody can claim that it's throttling). This means that the IPC is virtually identical in this gaming-based benchmark, so a 750MHz A-72 isn't even in the same league as a 1.6GHz Jaguar.

I'm not. I'm concerned that they'll be too small to be used comfortably, period.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I think in that post he wasn't referring to MP on the go so much as merely the physical size a screen would need to be to have certain size controllers on either side of it. So just a comment on dimensions. Maybe I misread it, though. I do think MP on the go will be a secondary feature but not the key feature. I think the key feature will be two separate controllers you can use at home. Also, another secondary feature as others have pointed out would be the ability to swap in different kinds of controller peripherals for the HH, which speaks to a previous modular controller patent.
No, he was talking about screen sizes in terms of visibility. Else it would have been a rather poor wording on his part, since in the scenario you propose here, Mucho would be talking about "physical dimensions" of the device. The physical dimensions are independent (to some extent) of screen size when considereing the various degrees of bezel Nintendo can apply.

i agree on your take on the controllers and multiplay on the go as a secondary feature. Also there's the advantage of offering a "free degrees of freedom" controller (ala Wii) when the console is docked.

i wouldn't like for Nintendo to manufacture different attachments. Even more, i want them to be exactly the same on either side. This keeps things simple and homogeneous in terms of the concept/interface and simple in terms of manufacturing costs and retail also. The same exact pieces could be sold separately as extra controllers for multiplayer and likely cheaper since the manufacturing costs are reduce because they produce a lesser amount of the same components.

However, they could for example, manufacture speciality controllers. Think of the Super SAmash GC controllers.

Portugeezer

So, I suppose it's up on your YouTube channel, or you just saved it? Anyway, I hope DF makes it public again soon, I'm interested :p

I saved it. I'm just being respectful to them which is why I haven't uploaded it anywhere, it's a pretty simple video anyway and I suspect they are just waiting for a specific time to make it public again. Maybe if they take really long I was share it, just because I want to keep discussing NX stuff.

They need a backwards compatibility play for this thing... sounds like emulation could (optimistically) be on the table up to Wii. This leaves out Wii U, but I guess they could port their own titles? They had like.. 4? LOL.

On a separate note, I feel like the games have to support up to at least 1080p30 (in console mode). 1080p is already old news, and anyone who owns a big enough 1080p TV knows that sub native res content looks like trash on it. 900p would be "alright." Somebody hooks up to a 4K TV? I shudder.

They need a backwards compatibility play for this thing... sounds like emulation could (optimistically) be on the table up to Wii. This leaves out Wii U, but I guess they could port their own titles? They had like.. 4? LOL
We've heard they're planning or at least considering porting some Wii U games. Smash 4 has been thrown around the most after Zelda. I can imagine games like Bayonetta and DKTF getting ports as well.
BC will most likely be in place on the Virtual Console with at least what the Wii U and 3DS got (GBA/C, SNES, N64, NES, etc)
I'm not sure if it's powerful enough to run Wii through emulation, but GameCube is probably likely?
I'd love to see HD emulators for it. Nintendo at least thought about it with DS emulation since it's an option built in, but disabled in the emulator.
Though 480/540p Wii or GCN on the handheld would probably look pretty fantastic.

boo

Gold Member
Just a reminder that IHS claimed that the screen would be between 3.1" and 5". They were right about NX being a true handheld.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177061

Also, right before these leaks we got a tweet from an indie developer which seems to indicate that the handheld will not display in HD. (Sorry about the lack of embedded quote. My laptop is acting up atm).

https://twitter.com/HenryHoffman/status/757866161979715584

A screen in the area of 3.1" to 5" indicates to me a direct replacement of the 3DS, rather than a tablet that shall cover both 3DS and WiiU.

Which is fine by me, since a tablet would be the worst of both worlds: Too large to easily carry around and too slow to be a replacement for a game console.

I have my fingers crossed that this indicates that Nintendo are working on direct replacements for 3DS and WiiU as we speak, and that this rumour of a hybrid system is just a horrible misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom