• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresquito

Insane numbers that show that third parties aren't interested in Nintendo consoles. I don't think more power would change that, the demographic simply isn't there.

For comparison, Steam literally and without hyperbole gets as many third party games every ~10 days as the WiiU has LTD.
90% those games could run on a WiiU just fine.

Power is but a small reason why you don't see third parties in Nintendo systems.

Haunted

90% those games could run on a WiiU just fine.

Power is but a small reason why you don't see third parties in Nintendo systems.
Exactly. There's no gain for Nintendo to spend more money to make it a powerful console if they have given up courting third parties for their multiplats.

Putting myself in their business-shoes, I can comprehend them going the mobile chip route, even if it doesn't run along my wishes/hopes and makes it very unlikely that I'll buy one.

etking

Banned
This would still not rule out that here will be an additional PS4-like home console released later, which would perfectly fit to the previous rumors and the fusion concept.

This would still not rule out that here will be an additional PS4-like home console released later, which would perfectly fit to the previous rumors and the fusion concept.

This is kind of what im worried about. I dont take my handhelds anywhere and i dont want to spend 200-250 dollars on the NX if a console that plays the exact same games is right around the corner.

heringer

Is a KO criteria.

A sub 1tf hardware would be outside of the range for multiplatform titles. The same thing happened with the Wii and WiiU.

But the Wii got a bunch of CoD titles. The only reason it didn't get more ports was because the games just didn't sell very well. Power was not a decisive factor.

R00bot

This is kind of what im worried about. I dont take my handhelds anywhere and i dont want to spend 200-250 dollars on the NX if a console that plays the exact same games is right around the corner.

I think if they're going to do that they will be upfront about it before the portable's release. Hell, they announced the NX like two years ago (kinda).

Spades

I remember a lot of Nintendo fans being vehemently against the idea of trophies/achievements. I wonder if Nintendo still thinks like that.

I don't see why. Just ignore them if you don't like them. For many gamers, it gives an added reason/purpose to play through games in different ways.

Oregano

Is a KO criteria.

A sub 1tf hardware would be outside of the range for multiplatform titles. The same thing happened with the Wii and WiiU.

I don't think you can declare that with any kind of definitiveness. For one there's a big difference between a ~500 Gflop machine and a 900 Gflop machine plus the CPU is equally as important and it's possible NX is more than competitive there.

RAM should be biggest worry anyway.

But the Wii got a bunch of CoD titles. The only reason it didn't get more ports was because the games just didn't sell very well. Power was not a decisive factor.

Yeah, power is a limiting factor but publishers will find ways to work around it if there's money to be made.

I wonder if we'll see achievements on the NX - or "Stars"? I hope so.

Accomplishments tend to be what Nintendo named them on Wii U. I wouldn't be surprised if we got MyNintendo integration like Miitomo but they might not be universally tracked.

rschauby

Banned
I really hope the screen is higher resolution than 540p. I'm okay with it rendering at lower resolution to save power when unplugged, but I'm one of those lazy people who play my handheld at home in bed for several hours and I would love a 7 inch 720p gaming handheld.

fresquito

Is a KO criteria.

Again, it's not about the power. Nintendo platforms are a bad ecosystem for third parties and for gamers alike.

The top AAA titles can't be ported because power, yes, but what about indies? What about mid-tier developers? And what about nostalgic players? What about out of the box thinking players? I'll tell you what: Nintendo doesn't give a fuck. Instead of embracing a more open approach that gathers devs and players that don't particularly care about power, they've closed themselves inside their shell, climbed a mountain and tried to preach their word up from there. It's no wonder the only fans remaining in their business are those that only care about Nintendo products and are willing to endure anything Nintendo throws at them to play their games.

Either Nintendo changes their policies about their approach to modern gaming or they are bound to disappear from the hardware business, with or without the NX.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I don't see why. Just ignore them if you don't like them. For many gamers, it gives an added reason/purpose to play through games in different ways.
Yup. I mostly ignore them. I mainly use them for a quick way to see how much of a game I played.

AzaK

Again, it's not about the power. Nintendo platforms are a bad ecosystem for third parties and for gamers alike.

The top AAA titles can't be ported because power, yes, but what about indies? What about mid-tier developers? And what about nostalgic players? What about out of the box thinking players? I'll tell you what: Nintendo doesn't give a fuck. Instead of embracing a more open approach that gathers devs and players that don't particularly care about power, they've closed themselves inside their shell, climbed a mountain and tried to preach their word up from there. It's no wonder the only fans remaining in their business are those that only care about Nintendo products and are willing to endure anything Nintendo throws at them to play their games.

Either Nintendo changes their policies about their approach to modern gaming or they are bound to disappear from the hardware business, with or without the NX.

It's for these reasons they are going for different audiences. The savvy gamer has moved on and given up on Nintendo. If they can get back to children and "non-gamers" then those markets don't really care about Nintendo's approach because so long as they can do the simplest of things that's all they need.

I really hope the screen is higher resolution than 540p. I'm okay with it rendering at lower resolution to save power when unplugged, but I'm one of those lazy people who play my handheld at home in bed for several hours and I would love a 7 inch 720p gaming handheld.

I'd rather a 540p screen for many multiple reasons...

#1: It's a MUCH nicer resolution for scaling since it's a clear integer of TV resolutions (1080p, 2160p)

#2: It's MUCH better to have a game rendering the native resolution of a screen... 540p scaled to 720p would look awful, just as sub-native Vita games look pretty bad on the vita screen.

#3: The more pixels you push, the worse your battery is going to be.

Also, a 7 inch screen is not going to happen while maintaining the system portability. I wouldn't even bet on a 5 inch screen.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

#1: It's a MUCH nicer resolution for scaling since it's a clear integer of TV resolutions (1080p, 2160p)

#2: It's MUCH better to have a game rendering the native resolution of a screen... 540p scaled to 720p would look awful, just as sub-native Vita games look pretty bad on the vita screen.

Also, a 7 inch screen is not going to happen while maintaining the system portability. I wouldn't even bet on a 5 inch screen.

And going by the Vita screen 540p should be fine.

it'll be 5 inch at a minimum, the n3dsxl screen is 4.9 (even the non xl is 3.9) and seeing as there wont be the extra to offload stuff on to I think anything smaller will be just too cluttered for many modern games

Is a KO criteria.

First, 1tf nvidia =/= the same as 1tf AMD. There's a reason why GTX750ti has been beating PS4 in some titles or performing on par.
Second, power isn't the problem for multiplatform titles. You can always lower graphics, resolution. The reason is the lack of audience. Plain and simple.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
First, 1tf nvidia =/= the same as 1tf AMD. There's a reason why GTX750ti has been beating PS4 in some titles or performing on par.
Second, power isn't the problem for multiplatform titles. You can always lower graphics, resolution. The reason is the lack of audience. Plain and simple.

From what I've heard, the best assumption we can make is that 1 Nvidia flop = ~ 1.15 AMD flops, correct me if I'm wrong.

ThaBruce

Banned
Hello all. I have been following this forum for a year or two and this is my first actual post. I wanted to point out that as a PS4 gamer and a huge Nintendo fan I am quite enthusiastic about the direction Nintendo is going with NX. With the rumored pascal tegra chip, we should have a cutting edge handheld system with capability to dual as a console that hooks to the TV. Even if the console is in between Wii U and Xone as far as visuals go, I am still extremely satisfied with that - Super Mario Galaxy on the wii looked better than countless PS3 games in my opinion. Just think with Nintendo's art direction and polish what will be achievable on this system. Then add to the equation that 1st party titles will be coming out at a rate never before seen within the company. I don't own a handheld so its a huge bonus to be able to take the system on the go. While triple A gaming probably won't be a strong point on this system, the NX compliments the PS4 quite nicely in this regard. It looks like the future roles of the big 3 players are becoming more defined than ever. Microsoft is going for the top-tier hardcore elite graphics demographic with the Scorpio and PC, Sony is going for your mass market appeal standard console, and Nintendo will dominate handheld and still have a "console" of sorts for those people who will always buy Nintendo. Almost a reason to own all 3!......But ps4 and NX will be just fine for me.

Hello all. I have been following this forum for a year or two and this is my first actual post. I wanted to point out that as a PS4 gamer and a huge Nintendo fan I am quite enthusiastic about the direction Nintendo is going with NX. With the rumored pascal tegra chip, we should have a cutting edge handheld system with capability to dual as a console that hooks to the TV. Even if the console is in between Wii U and Xone as far as visuals go, I am still extremely satisfied with that - Super Mario Galaxy on the wii looked better than countless PS3 games in my opinion. Just think with Nintendo's art direction and polish what will be achievable on this system. Then add to the equation that 1st party titles will be coming out at a rate never before seen within the company. I don't own a handheld so its a huge bonus to be able to take the system on the go. While triple A gaming probably won't be a strong point on this system, the NX compliments the PS4 quite nicely in this regard. It looks like the future roles of the big 3 players are becoming more defined than ever. Microsoft is going for the top-tier hardcore elite graphics demographic with the Scorpio and PC, Sony is going for your mass market appeal standard console, and Nintendo will dominate handheld and still have a "console" of sorts for those people who will always buy Nintendo. Almost a reason to own all 3!......But ps4 and NX will be just fine for me.

That's a pretty great first post! I'm also very excited. I hope we get official word on a September reveal soon.

Hmm
ColZhGD.jpg

What does maintaining system portability mean? Over the 3DS, or over the Wii U gamepad? If we assume Eurogamer's description is correct then I think expecting it to be another pocket sized handheld is looking at it wrong.

Oppo

*citation needed

I can't remember anyone being AGAINST them, more so people just being uncaring one way or the other.

are you kidding? I sure can.

not gonna go spelunking through old threads but trust me, there was a vocal and vehement contingent against anything like that. until of course Nintendo makes it.

NotSelf

Welcome to the forum.

Speely

Banned

Welcome to posting GAF :) I really like the direction Nintendo seems to be going as well.

Ganondolf

I'm hoping for a 5.5" screen. My fire hd6 (6") is almost perfect but the nx would need to add the control's on both sides so 5.5 is probably the best option. They may stick with 5" like the 3dsxl if they go 540p to keep the ppi higher.

Griss

I remember a lot of Nintendo fans being vehemently against the idea of trophies/achievements. I wonder if Nintendo still thinks like that.

I'm praying they do. Trophies really get in the way of my enjoyment of playstation games. I can't 'just ignore them'.

Nintendo games have always stood on the strength of their gameplay alone. They have no need to hand out digital baubles to make the player keep playing long after he's done having fun.

Engines don't scale that way.

You can run a game like Witcher on some old laptop if you basically kills everything but the result looks and performs worse than a game with the a engine that was designed with the performance of that laptop as part as target group in mind.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm praying they do. Trophies really get in the way of my enjoyment of playstation games. I can't 'just ignore them'.

Nintendo games have always stood on the strength of their gameplay alone. They have no need to hand out digital baubles to make the player keep playing long after he's done having fun.

Achievements/Trophies are just another way of locking people into an ecosystem, unfortunately.

Personally, I like Miiverse Stamps because I can actually do some stupid stuff with them, but not enough games have them.

Engines don't scale that way.

You can run a game like Witcher on some old laptop if you basically kills everything but the result looks and performs worse than a game with the a engine that was designed with the performance of that laptop as part as target group in mind.

Yes, but you're comparing orange and apples here. Some old laptop is like the lowest target. We're not talking PS360 performances on lowest Intel IGP.
Engines scales on resolution too. You took the Witcher as an exemple: It runs at 1080p on PS4, 900p on Xbox One. It could run at 720p. Also my point stands: Nvidia FLOPS =/= AMD FLOPS. So a 900Gflops machine would perform closely to XB1's 1.3TFlops.

Now, keep in mind that I'm in the "512Gflops docked machine" side. And I dont believe that 3rd party will come, but my point is, I doubt it'll be slower to the point you can't shoehorn ports with a little reductions.

Effect

Not against but didn't see the point of them especially compared to actually in-game unlocks that added to the game.

Ganondolf

Nintendo's best option is to be the second console. Most people buy Nintendo console for Nintendo games. They will be the only dedicated handheld which should get twice the game input (from Nintendo) as they will only have one console to support. A lot of people are talking about 3rd party but we all know that Nintendo won't get all the games even if their console was powerful enough. I will be sticking to my 2 console setup (ps4+NX), this is the best way forward. Anyone thinking of having the NX as there sole gaming solution will miss out on a lot.

Ganondolf

Just a reminder that IHS claimed that the screen would be between 3.1" and 5". They were right about NX being a true handheld.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177061

Also, right before these leaks we got a tweet from an indie developer which seems to indicate that the handheld will not display in HD. (Sorry about the lack of embedded quote. My laptop is acting up atm).

https://twitter.com/HenryHoffman/status/757866161979715584

I think around 5" is very likely with a 540p rez. I would expect the nx to come in one size which I expect will be closer to the 3dsxl than the normal 3ds

Peterc

I don't think high gfx / cinematic games does make a game hardcore. People always referring to that, while developers making aaa games for the mainstream/casual and not for the core public. It's starting with kids and stops with people below 40.

They are trying mostly to make movie/sport games mostly with one way path and many scenes. This doesn't mean that those games are made for core players, but also not mean that they are bad.

I know core people can enjoy those games too. But comparing with games from pc like Starcracft2 or fps games are far off, those are the hardcore games.

Nintendo games maybe doesn't look mature, but their focus are also for all players. But they arent focus on the story but more on gameplay and fun factor. Also they try for hardcore gamers to have always something extra so there is always something to do in the game that is a challenge for them. Like mariogalaxy getting all the stars.

You would be surprised how many ps4 owners are kids or casual players.

It's just a wrong mindset, nx doesn't have to be for other public, it can be the same public that also want to enjoy those kind of games.

Not against but didn't see the point of them especially compared to actually in-game unlocks that added to the game.
why not both? It's so easy to tack on trophies to unlocks and other things.

I always say this. I'm the opposite of a trophy whore. I have a bunch of platinums but I'll only do it if the game is genuinely fun and the path to getting one isn't frustrating. It gives me a reason to replay a game. People then say well you enjoy it, that's reason enough. Maybe but not for me. I'm a goal oriented gamer. I like working toward something. It's REALLY hard for me to replay a game for no reason other than to replay it. It may sound silly but it's just how I feel. I'm sure lots of others feel the same.

It also might make you do things you never considered doing if the trophies are well done.

I think around 5" is very likely with a 540p rez. I would expect the nx to come in one size which I expect will be closer to the 3dsxl than the normal 3ds

As some (including myself) are speculating that NX will run identically regardless of whether on the go or docked, it would be interesting if the only thing preventing HD display while on the go was the screen. If anything, that would make it incredibly easy for Nintendo to release a 1080p version somewhere down the road once they deem it affordable enough.

Rodin

Just a reminder that IHS claimed that the screen would be between 3.1" and 5". They were right about NX being a true handheld.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177061

Also, right before these leaks we got a tweet from an indie developer which seems to indicate that the handheld will not display in HD. (Sorry about the lack of embedded quote. My laptop is acting up atm).

https://twitter.com/HenryHoffman/status/757866161979715584
Good catch. I'd be more than ok with 540p on a 5" screen.

As some (including myself) are speculating that NX will run identically regardless of whether on the go or docked, it would be interesting if the only thing preventing HD display while on the go was the screen. If anything, that would make it incredibly easy for Nintendo to release a 1080p version somewhere down the road once they deem it affordable enough.
But what's the point of even having a dock then? Couldn't they just put a TV out on the handheld itself (like the PSP) and call it a day without spending other money for the dock? I still think we're missing something here.

Ganondolf

Just to give people an idea this is the size difference from a fire hd6 and 3dsxl. Where the bezel is could be where the controller parts are. Like I said 5-5.5" screen would make the overall nx unit about the same size.

temporary_zpshqk8hs3y.jpg

temporary_zps3qt4vj9i.jpg

temporary_zpsnxnvmlm1.jpg

orioto

Good Art™
In term of size, if the buttons are indeed on the side like everyone have been reporting, we're simply looking at a Vita size for a 5" screen. That's already not pocketable anymore, but i don't think they can go smaller than that with this kind of design, ot they would need a really small screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom