• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Switch screen is 6.2", 720p, Capacitive Multi-Touch, IR sensor

mieumieu

There are already a lot of modern game that ported to mobile games in 3D. Even Unreal Engine games.

a lot of those games are in subnative resolution which severely impacts their looks.

Id rather have games in native res than hi def texts and blurry 3d.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
First of all, people aren't stupid because they have other expectations than you have. My biggest concern isn't that the games run in 720p when mobile, I'm okay with that. But I expect a 2017 console which apparently is designed to be a home console first of all - according to Nintendo - gets native 1080p together when connected to a TV. And yes, you can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV. It's huge.
I mean he is clearly talking about when you use it is a handheld and not when docked, so I don't even know why you are getting worked up over his post.

NateDrake

First of all, people aren't stupid because they have other expectations than you have. My biggest concern isn't that the games run in 720p when mobile, I'm okay with that. But I expect a 2017 console which apparently is designed to be a home console first of all - according to Nintendo - gets native 1080p together when connected to a TV. And yes, you can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV. It's huge.

And no one has said it won't boost to 1080p when docked to the TV. Most are strictly talking about the NS screen resolution and complaining that 720p isn't good enough for a portable screen.

Speely

Banned

The person you quoted was explicitly talking about un-docked play. Edit: Which, on a 6.2 inch screen will look fucking ace because that's a BETTER pixel density than most 1080P TVs.

Formosa

how much does an iphone cost again
A lot more. But iPhone can do a lot more things other than being a gaming device.
Do you understand tech at all?
Yes. I believe my eyes.
Take a look at any other portable devices gaming catalog and tell if they hold a candle to Nintendos??? 720p on a portable is not bad.. isheep are perfectly fine with 750p and Japan is more than ok with the sony Xperia compact at 720p and the ds at 240p lol.

People forget that Nintendo merged their portable and console development teams. So we are going to get pokemon and animal crossing on a home console with the option to take them on the go. Content drives a platforms and Nintendos has enough ip consolidated in one place to be successful.
You are right. Switch's 720 is "not bad", but like I said earlier it's not "wow". Especially iPhones already got 1080p since "years" ago.

Right, and how long can you play these games on these devices?
Not to mention the Switch portabable device doesn't have a long battery life from I've read.

I'm not going to call you stupid, but this post isn't exactly helping your case.

A lot more. But iPhone can do a lot more things other than being a gaming device.

Yes. I believe my eyes.

You are right. Switch's 720 is "not bad", but like I said earlier it's not "wow". Especially iPhones already got 1080p since "years" ago.

Not to mention the Switch portabable device doesn't have a long battery life from I've read.

Apple got 1080p when they released the iPhone 6 plus in 2014... Everything else in it's class had been running 1080p for much longer lol. No one seemed to have complained then or even now since the smaller one isn't even 1080p? All my friends with iPhones are attached to wall outlets or external batteries playing games on the iPhone.

Yes. I believe my eyes.

Show me graphically complex games from iOS/Android that are on the same level of what has come out on the Wii U. Resolution isn't everything and it comes at a large cost.

random25

Yes. I believe my eyes.

Using iPhone or smartphones in general is already a losing argument because they are not dedicated gaming devices and their screen resolution is used mainly for their features, like viewing high quality photos. Games on these devices aren't even guaranteed to be native 1080p.

And "years" ago is just like 2 years lol.

Speely

Banned
Show me graphically complex games from iOS/Android that are on the same level of what has come out on the Wii U. Resolution isn't everything and it comes at a large cost.

Bolded for truth. Well-designed assets look good if the design is good. If the rez is so low that it hinders the assets, then there is a problem, but that is certainly not the case in any situation where the ppi is over 200. Ever.

Pimpbaa

+1. Although 720 is enough to look "okay" on a small screen, the iPhone Plus got 1080p. I know it's not the best comparison... But it tells me that the resolution for the Switch doesn't give me a wow factor. And ya... 720p for a handheld from 2017 and forward is kind of weak.

You know what would be even "weaker"? If it did have a 1080p screen, but most games ran below native resolution to get better than Wii U visuals and looking blurry as fuck as a result. 720p is the right resolution for that screen size and the hardware driving this thing. Higher resolutions on phones and tablets with current mobile gpus are fine for web browsing and 2D games. But when you start making 3D mobile games, you have to make some pretty severe sacrifices due to having so much resources just wasted driving those high resolution displays. Most of the best looking mobile games run like shit (as in struggling to achieve 30fps) unless they have an option to lower the rendering resolution (resulting in sub native blurry visuals). Switch games will no doubt blow away all mobile games despite the lower resolution screen, just like the Vita did. Hell recent Vita games still look better than most mobile games.

1080p all depends on the developers. More than likely 1st party devs will try to push for it... But third party multi plats like CoD? You'll likely see less of those. Less Resolution and graphical effects may have to be sacrificed.

Anyway, graphical fidelity isn't just about frame rate and resolution, its quality of textures, particle effects, lighting, etc. We can't have it all. If you want the best graphical game(in terms of realism), then frame rate and/or resolution need to be sacrificed. As long as there are devs pushing for the best looking games and aren't pushing for 60fps and the highest resolution, this whole concept of "1080p" is just some dream that is running forever in a closed loop. Every HD console is possible of 1080p, but its more in relation to multi platforms running on the most powerful console to weaker consoles or just AAA 1st party games.

Pittree

I find odd that a lot of people here are claiming that a 720p screen in 2017 is laughable based on the fact that they have phones with screens at higher resolutions and that they want the best of the best on their devices. If they are so picky about this kind of details I would expect them to be equally so with matters as upscaling.

When I heard the news that Nintendo was using a 720p screen my first thought was that they made it that way so their games would render at 720 native and therefore look sharp in a screen with the same resolution. Having games on mobile rendered at 640 and then upscaled to a 1080p screen or even larger resolutions it is ok for a casual market, and it would be ok for some in a gaming device, but NOT for those hoping to get the best out of it.

I believe that prioritizing how menus and web browsing looks in a game console over how games look would really be a concern for the true techheads out there. I consider my self more of an average gamer and for me upscaling would be ok, but 720p considering the state of the graphics technology today, sounds great

lenovox1

720p is OK for a screen of that size but is there any chance that it'll render at 1080p when connected to a television? I'm not talking about upscaling.

The Wii U has 1080P games.

The Nvidia Shield K1 has a 1080P screen, and has some native resolution titles at 1080P.

Yes, the Switch will be full capable of rendering games at 1080P.

Alebrije

932.gif

How about when the console is docked?

MarriedWithChildrenS06E10DVDRipXviD.gif

I remember arguing here that we would get a 720p screen as minimum. And the replies were that Nintendo would never go that high, 480p or maybe Vita resolution at max.

So, considering expectations, I think we all should be happy with this. For the kind of power we are getting this is fine.

lenovox1

I remember arguing here that we would get a 720p screen as minimum. And the replies were that Nintendo would never go that high, 480p or maybe Vita resolution at max.

So, considering expectations, I think we all should be happy with this. For the kind of power we are getting this is fine.

I still think they'be compromised battery life for a screen of this type, but realize that that isn't what the Switch is about.

Hermii

I suspect Nintendo games will, but they can't control what third parties does with the power.

This also has nothing to do with the screen on the handheld.

Yes. I believe my eyes.

An Iphone costs way above 500 € compared to a console which will have a price point of 200-300 :)

I'm not going to call you stupid, but this post isn't exactly helping your case.

Stupid me posting stuff before my first cup of coffee. Yes, I know that he meant, 720p is fine when you use it mobile, agreed (still, others expect more).

What I meant is that the real concern here is the resolution when using it on a TV.

I find odd that a lot of people here are claiming that a 720p screen in 2017 is laughable based on the fact that they have phones with screens at higher resolutions and that they want the best of the best on their devices. If they are so picky about this kind of details I would expect them to be equally so with matters as upscaling.

When I heard the news that Nintendo was using a 720p screen my first thought was that they made it that way so their games would render at 720 native and therefore look sharp in a screen with the same resolution. Having games on mobile rendered at 640 and then upscaled to a 1080p screen or even larger resolutions it is ok for a casual market, and it would be ok for some in a gaming device, but NOT for those hoping to get the best out of it.

I believe that prioritizing how menus and web browsing looks in a game console over how games look would really be a concern for the true techheads out there. I consider my self more of an average gamer and for me upscaling would be ok, but 720p considering the state of the graphics technology today, sounds great
You expect people making these claims to have any technological understanding that goes beyond brochure bullet points?

klee123

720P for handheld is fine considering the screen size.

Does that mean it'll up upscale to 1080P in console mode or will the native resolution change to 1080P?

Yes. I believe my eyes.

You think that the iPhone can run games as graphic intensive as on the Switch?

giphy.gif

Neoxon

Yes. I believe my eyes.

So you expect the iPhone to push the level of visual fidelity that the Switch can bring & maintain a decent battery life? Hell, as mentioned by a few others, a good chunk of mobile games don't even run at native res.

Speely

Banned
So you expect the iPhone to push the level of visual fidelity that the Switch can bring & maintain a decent battery life. Hell, as mentioned by a few others, a good chunk of mobile games don't even run at native res.

It's an easy mode of attack.

So you expect the iPhone to push the level of visual fidelity that the Switch can bring & maintain a decent battery life. Hell, as mentioned by a few others, a good chunk of mobile games don't even run at native res.

He probably also expects it to cost 5 times less than the iPhone.

Ninferno

So some of you guys want a portable device to:
Run Breath of the Wild at 1080p (or maybe 900p, because "720p on 6.2'' is a joke"),
at a temperature that does not burn your hands,
last longer than 5 hours,
and cost less than $300.

Good luck finding that device on Mars, buddy.

Neoxon

So some of you guys want a portable device to:
Run Breath of the Wild at 1080p (or maybe 900p, because "720p on 6.2'' is a joke"),
at a temperature that does not burn your hands,
last longer than 5 hours,
and cost less than $300.

Good luck finding that device on Mars, buddy.
Might as well add "Runs on Speed Force™" to the list.

BONKERS

6" 720p is the perfect performance/resolution sweet spot for such a portable gaming device.

Anything higher is a waste of battery and performance.

High PPi screens make sense for VR and general app usage. But not for games IMO. (Which end up performing very poorly often on mobile handsets with resolutions running far higher than necessary for little benefit at that screen size. Then the games, esp 2D based ones with upscaling end up looking bad.)

And really it's all about native resolution. Would you rather have pathetic battery life, a 1080p screen and have the resulting games look bad from sub native res rendering?
Have you had enough of that shit with home consoles???

Well, this answers the only other questions I had, so I'm cool with it.

Shame I'm the only person I know who doesn't think this is Nintendo's worst concept ever, and this is coming from people who stood in line to buy launch Wiis

Without quoting a specific message, regarding the discussions about how feasible 1080p is for Switch to output to TV when not even all PS4/Xbone games do... Resolution is at least as much design decision as hardware. 720p was pretty normal on those machines' predecessors, and they're many times more powerful, so under similar conditions hitting 1080p would be cake. If it isn't, it's because they chose to push the machines' capabilities in other directions. Switch is also well over twice as powerful as those earlier 720p machines, so the same conditions apply. 1080p should be easy enough if they want to hit it, but also be easy enough to not hit if they choose to push in another way.
Nikana said:
Highly doubt they expect to ship 2 million of these things in March if they plan to sell it for $300.
Since it seems to be a worldwide launch, shipping significantly less than a million to each major region is cake, even if it literally made of cake.
santesy said:
Finally a Nintendo portable with a high resolution screen. It's gonna feel like we skipped 2 generations compared to the 3DS.
Pretty much. Based on how GBA/DS/3DS fairly closely matched the capabilities of home consoles from about a decade before, Switch seems like the kind of Nintendo portable device I'd have expected around 2022.
LewieP said:
I've seen a bit of chatter than an ir pointer can replicate the functionality of a touchscreen.

Have these people used a Wii?

They are entirely different input methods that require specific UIs designed for them.

Obviously for a lot of uses of a touchscreen you can design a similar method for an ir pointer, but it's not a case of an ir pointer exactly replicating a touchscreen.
If it were a dominant feature as on Wii, I'd agree with you. But making you flip over a controller a weird way where buttons won't be as accessible says to me they're treating it simpler, as a direct alternative to touch. Any simple single-finger touch uses (push a button, draw a line, drag a thing) can be directly replicated with a pointer and a single button.
2+2=5 said:
"multi-touch screen" vs (single)"right joycon with ir", what's the point of multi touch if when docked only one pointer at time is possible?
Definitely not a perfect substitute, but I doubt anyone wanted to use two pointers to replicate a "pinch" gesture anyway.
Pyrokai said:
This is what I am asking! It's like no one notices/cares that it's on the wrong side of he controller, unless I'm missing something huge.
This isn't the first thread it's come up in, so while it kind of sucks it's also already been said.
FunkyDealer said:
Pixels Per Inch:

3DS OG 2D/(3D) - 132.15 / (236.61)
How is it that the 3D numbers aren't just the 2D numbers doubled?
DownGrader said:
If 900p/60fps will be the new standard for Nintendo (just like 720p/60fps on Wii U), I'd be really happy, even if they continue the trend of disregarding antialiasing completely.
Is it a trend? I'm sure they were using it at launch--I remember the difference in NSMBU screen shots before and after it was applied to the game.
ViewtifulJC said:
720p console gaming

IN 2016
If we're discussing the built-in screens, then PS4 Pro is 0p console gaming.
Ninja Dom said:
I'm confused, GAF.

Okay, so say the screen is multi-touch. What's the point in making a multi-touch game if the screen is covered while docked?
I'm guessing you're doing a port of an existing multi-touch game and want to leave the original controls intact as an option, or want to include common things like pinch-scaling that can also be done other ways.
ViewtifulJC said:
yeah and the Wii was twice as powerful as the Gamecube, and they just flipped Link's sword arm around between versions
Wii was about 50% more powerful, and its version included a widescreen mode that would display 33% more geometry.
klee123 said:
Does that mean it'll up upscale to 1080P in console mode or will the native resolution change to 1080P?
Should vary by game, just as with most other machines.

Odrion

Banned
Speaking of the display. I wonder if Nvidia were willing to throw in a Gsync display into the switch as part of their deal with Nintendo.

Being able to run games at 43 or 57FPS ect on the go and not having any discernable difference to a stable 60FPS when docked (on mains power) would be huge for a.device like this
gsync doesn't make 43 fps feel like 60fps. it makes 43 fps feel like 43 fps.
As amazing as that would be, Nvidia's solution for that is pretty damn expensive. Although wouldn't it be easier to do if it's all contained in one device? Not sure tbh, but yeah, G-sync is pretty damn amazing. I'd probably end up completely avoiding the home console mode if they did it (they won't btw).
nvidia lets laptops that aren't actually using the gsync chip but instead using the displayport method to carry the gsync branding. so it's possible. and I think it'd be a pretty good move. which is why I'm 300% positive it won't happen

Yeah I suggested that earlier. It works for Apple!

Plus, if Nvidia manages to add GSync to the portable display as well without inflating price too much, I would be VERY happy! "Retina" type display with a very fluid experience. I don't know, sounds too good to be true.

KonradLaw

720? I guess the unit is very underpowered when used as handheld, so lowered resolution is meant to help with performance?

Top Bottom