• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Switch screen is 6.2", 720p, Capacitive Multi-Touch, IR sensor

maxcriden

720p device releasing in 2017? You're kidding me, right?

Even if that is serviceable, people know what resolutions are these days and that won't be seen as a good thing in the eyes of the masses.

At the distance you're looking at the screen for a handheld, is there a significant difference between 720 and 1080 to most people?

I can't believe how many posts there are saying 720p is unacceptable for that 6.2" screen in 2017. If it's shit on a TV that's a separate issue, but we have no confirmation on how Nintendo and Nvidia will handle that at this point. There must be no standards for performance besides the resolution for those people seriously expecting more from a portable dedicated to these types of games.

b b b but its not 4k hdr 3d tho

MADGAME

Wii U had plenty of 1080p games tho?
Really? I don't know which games you are referring to (and how many equal "plenty"), can you list them? I ask because I truly want to know. I can't validate the total accuracy of the below, but seems reasonable:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is the only Wii U exclusive game with native 1080p resolution and 60 FPS. There are some third party titles, like Rayman Legends for example, that are 1080p and 60 FPS, but most are only interested in exclusives and not in multiplatform titles (when talking about resolution & framerates).

Here's a list of exclusive Wii U retail games:
  • Bayonetta: 720p & 60 FPS (some struggles)
    Bayonetta 2: 720p & 60 FPS (some struggles)
    Captain Toad - Treasure Tracker: 720p & 60 FPS (same engine as SM3DW)
    Donkey Kong Country - Tropical Freeze: 720p & 60 FPS
    Game & Wario: 720p & 60 FPS
    Hyrule Warrios: 720p & 30 FPS (struggles) / 480p & 30 FPS during co-op (struggles)
    Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush: 720p & 60 FPS (edit: could be 1080p & 30 FPS due to its "clay"-style).
    LEGO City - Undercover: 720p & 30 FPS
    Mario Kart 8: 720p & 60 FPS
    Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games: 720p & 60 FPS
    New Super Mario Bros. U: 720p & 60 FPS
    New Super Luigi U: 720p & 60 FPS
    Nintendo Land: 720p & 60 FPS
    Pikmin 3: 720p & 30 FPS
    Sonic Boom - Rise of Lyric: 720p & 30 FPS (struggling)
    Sonic Lost World: 720p & 60 FPS
    Splatoon: 720p & 60 FPS
    Super Mario 3D World: 720p & 60 FPS
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 1080p & 60 FPS
    The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD: - 1080p & 30 FPS (minor struggles)
    The Wonderful 101: 720p & 60 FPS (some struggles)
    Wii Fit U: 720p & 60 FPS
    Wii Party U: 720p & 60 FPS
    Wii Sports Club: 720p & 60 FPS
    ZombiU: 720p & 30 FPS (not exclusive anymore)
The above may be outdated, so if there are newer titles at 1080 and even better 1080/60 I'd like to know.

Yes it will. Capable of it anyway.
For me, a purchase depends on it.

vern

Really? I don't know which games you are referring to (and how many equal "plenty"), can you list them? I ask because I truly want to know. I can't validate the total accuracy of the below, but seems reasonable:

Then be confident in your purchase.

maxcriden

So if the rumor about no power boost on the dock is true, guess that means all the games will be 720p on your TV? Unless they're actually running at 1080 on the switch and being down sampled to 720?

I thought it's still rumored it could upscale or render to 1080?

MuchoMalo

Banned
How much bigger than a Vita screen is that?

54% increase in physical screen size:

5-inch-16x9-vs-6,2-inch-16x9.png

The above may be outdated, so if there are newer titles at 1080 and even better 1080/60 I'd like to know.

Hmm I stand corrected..while that list doesn't show 3rd party or eshop titles..but I thought there were more than that even for first party. I could have sworn MK8, DKCTF , SM3DW, Pikmin 3 were 1080p, but I guess not. If anything this just proves how little resolution matters for Nintendo games IMO. Most of those games look fantastic regardless of the resolution- so games on the Switch screen should look just as good if not better.

MuchoMalo

Banned
720p device releasing in 2017? You're kidding me, right?

Even if that is serviceable, people know what resolutions are these days and that won't be seen as a good thing in the eyes of the masses.

So Nintendo should increase the cost of the unit and make games look worse by putting in a 1440p screen and upscaling from 720p? Because you do realize that putting in a higher resolution screen doesn't make it powerful enough to run games at said higher resolution, right?

Figure this is as good a place as any to drop this. Some numbers may be a little off due to aspect ratios.

Pixels Per Inch:

Gameboy - 82.79
Gameboy Pocket - 84.09
Gameboy Color - 92.78
Gameboy Advance - 99.46
GBA Micro - 144.22
DS - 106.67
DSi - 98.46
DSi XL - 76.19
3DS OG 2D/(3D) - 132.15 / (236.61)
3DS XL 2D/(3D) - 95.59 / (171.15)
2DS - 132.15
New 3DS 2D/(3D) - 120.23 / (215.26)
New 3DS XL 2D/(3D) - 95.59 / (171.15)

Wii U Gamepad - 158.01
Nintendo Switch - 236.87

PSP - 128.3
PSP GO - 145.19
PS Vita - 220

At the distance you're looking at the screen for a handheld, is there a significant difference between 720 and 1080 to most people?
yes there is and always will be. The benefits of resolution do not change based on screen size. Things like UI design and draw distances greatly benefit from resolution, even on a 6" screen. Details of higher resolutions still show through regardless of screen size. 4K still looks amazing compared to 1080p even on a 24" monitor. PPI is really irrelevant for the most part

Does it matter here? a dedicated gaming handheld without an inflated pricetag is basically stuck with 720p anyway

MADGAME

Hmm I stand corrected..while that list doesn't show 3rd party or eshop titles..but I thought there were more than that even for first party. I could have sworn MK8, DKCTF , SM3DW, Pikmin 3 were 1080p, but I guess not. If anything this just proves how little resolution matters for Nintendo games IMO. Most of those games look fantastic regardless of the resolution- so games on the Switch screen should look just as good if not better.
Yeah the list definitely does not include everything. Was hoping to learn of additional 1080p titles to pad the library!

I kind of agree - Nintendo first party games are fun to play even if in 720p, but to me there is noticeable visual noise that bothers me (mostly jaggies).

Really hope they switch it up with the next console :D

Figure this is as good a place as any to drop this. Some numbers may be a little off due to aspect ratios.

Pixels Per Inch:

Gameboy - 82.79
Gameboy Pocket - 84.09
Gameboy Color - 92.78
Gameboy Advance - 99.46
GBA Micro - 144.22
DS - 106.67
DSi - 98.46
DSi XL - 76.19
3DS OG 2D/(3D) - 132.15 / (236.61)
3DS XL 2D/(3D) - 95.59 / (171.15)
2DS - 132.15
New 3DS 2D/(3D) - 120.23 / (215.26)
New 3DS XL 2D/(3D) - 95.59 / (171.15)

Wii U Gamepad - 158.01
Nintendo Switch - 236.87

PSP - 128.3
PSP GO - 145.19
PS Vita - 220

Oh so the Switch is pretty much twice as good as anything similar that came before. 720p portal is perfect. People just don't understand...

TI82

Banned

Yeah, vast vast majority of Wii U titles ran at 720p 60fps and even then couldn't keep up 60fps. Even games like Mario Kart with it's reduced graphical effects.

nampad

Finally multitouch. Guess diehard fans can finally admit that multitouch is better for gaming than the resistive crap we got before.

Hope the next Pokemon game actually takes advantage of the nice screen and isn't Sun/Moon's 3DS version blown up to 720p.

Even that looks really great, as Citra shows - all thanks to the fact that Game Freak made some future-proof models with polygon count far exceeding the display possibilities of Nintendo 3DS.

Finally multitouch. Guess diehard fans can finally admit that multitouch is better for gaming than the resistive crap we got before.

I don't agree with you. Why should anyone change their opinion just because the tech trends are changing?
That being said, I won't really miss resistive screens - I've played enough games taking advantage of them.

The Switch is shaping really well... I think the 720p for this size is the sweet spot, Even the PS4 and the Xbox one cant handle 1080p pretty well... so... this is a good decision. We dont need a 1080p screen on this, everybody know that companies uses screen resolutions on mobile phones as a marketing resource... I just hope for res bump on my tv when docked.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Sounds great. I just hope the games will display at native 1080p on the big screen.

Oh, I'm sure it will be able to upscale.

The talk about secret sauce (likely overclocking and turning on/up the fan when docked) might lead to actual 1080p games but I doubt it for most non-simplistic titles. You guys are going to be disappointed if you're expecting much secret sauce.

jmizzal

The masses really don't care that much about resolution. DVDs still massively outsell Blu-Rays. The most popular console in the US the last couple of months is the one which plays the most popular third party games at lower resolutions than its competitor (including the most popular game of the moment, BF1, at 720p). The most popular hardware in Japan for the past few years runs games at 240p, and the most popular smartphone is just over 720p itself.

But but the masses, lol people think casuals care about that stuff really hahaha

And wasnt the rumors were that the dock upscale's to 1080, I keep seeing people post that the dock doesnt do anything.

How are they believing one rumor but not the others from the same people

KAL2006

Banned

Interesting
If I had to guess majority of games will be be either 720p with better affect or 900p when the Switch is docked. Obviously there will be some exceptions like Smash Bros being 1080p and other less demanding games and last gen ports.

I expect GAF to be upset about lack of 1080p games on Switch when docked.

Jazzem

ITT people don't understand that a 1080p (or higher) screen would result in many games in sub-native resolution, which is a lot more gross. The Vita ended up with a lot of them.

Wow I hadn't thought of that, yeah sub-native games looked awful on Vita, quite happy if this means we'd avoid that!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
IR Blaster being on the bottom of the right joycon is odd. Maybe they found a way to make it work even if the sensor isn't pointing directly at the console? Not sure if that's possible or not (I have no clue how that stuff works), but I can't imagine they would make you turn the whole controller upside down to use that functionality and ruin the ergonomics of the thing.

If it works like the Wiimote you'll definitely have to flip it around so the sensor is pointed forward. The way the Wiimote works is that it has a simple camera behind the dark plastic on the front. This camera tracks points of IR light, emitted by LEDs on the "sensor bar". The latter doesn't actually sense anything at all, and doesn't communicate with the Wii, it's just a passive IR emitter. That's why you can use a wireless one, or even just a pair of candles (flames emit loads of IR light). All communication happens only between the Wiimote and the Wii.

If the Switch works the same way, the Joycon should have the camera sensor while the Switch itself has a few IR LEDs for the controller to see and track.

This is what I am asking! It's like no one notices/cares that it's on the wrong side of he controller, unless I'm missing something huge.

We had like a whole thread on this, and yeah, plenty of people think it's weird.

Interesting
If I had to guess majority of games will be be either 720p with better affect or 900p when the Switch is docked. Obviously there will be some exceptions like Smash Bros being 1080p and other less demanding games and last gen ports.

I expect GAF to be upset about lack of 1080p games on Switch when docked.

If 900p/60fps will be the new standard for Nintendo (just like 720p/60fps on Wii U), I'd be really happy, even if they continue the trend of disregarding antialiasing completely.

vern

Oh, I'm sure it will be able to upscale.

The talk about secret sauce (likely overclocking and turning on/up the fan when docked) might lead to actual 1080p games but I doubt it for most non-simplistic titles. You guys are going to be disappointed if you're expecting much secret sauce.

It's not gonna do anything omg amazing but the machine is capable of native 1080p on the big screen when docked.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It probably will

That's over double the resolution of 720p. Don't expect much in the stand. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's not gonna do anything omg amazing but the machine is capable of native 1080p on the big screen when docked.

We don't know that. There's no reason to expect secret sauce in the stand. Sure, an overclock is likely when not on battery power (since the fan will now be able to run or run at console speeds) but there's no reason to go KINECT SECOND GPU SECRET SAUCE right now.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I dont know what the hell I was thinking hoping Nintendo would finally stop with their always 1 generation behind stuff and at least have a full hd screen. If when docked it has trouble hitting 1080p, will probably skip this Nintendo release for a while.

Seems like they are focusing more on the graduating 3DS gamer than a home console one.
Price would have to be really low for me to get one even for my kids.

That's over double the resolution of 720p. Don't expect much in the stand. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Double is possible if with power supply and aggressive cooling mode

I dont know what the hell I was thinking hoping Nintendo would finally stop with their always 1 generation behind stuff and at least have a full hd screen. If when docked it has trouble hitting 1080p, will probably skip this Nintendo release for a while.

Seems like they are focusing more on the graduating 3DS gamer than a home console one.
Price would have to be really low for me to get one even for my kids.

Switch is the best mobile console, even if it's not the focus

The Wii U was initially going to be a portable console, but they had to back away from the idea because of performance and battery life problems.
So much time has passed that I can't remember anymore if it was a crazy rumor or just speculation but I remember that there was a discussion about later revisions of the Wii U being moved entirely to the pad had the system actually taken off. Seems like Nintendo still doesn't believe in abandoning their ideas when they don't work out the first time just like GC-> Wii.

Top Bottom