• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer why our Starfield: review will be late (DF unaffected and will be on time)

jm89

I don't believe that. If this is just because of confusion, then why did Bethesda explicitly say to Eurogamer that they can't review the game and only Digital Foundry can play the game?
Metro UK are also claiming they were in contact with bethesda for weeks and told they would get one. I don't know if they got one now with all this out in the public, legitimate comms issues seems laughable.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
So you’re openly supporting publishers fucking around with free and open journalism because they’ve published something you don’t like?
THIS^^. Many people in this thread doesn't understand how bad this can be. If publishers only sent review copies to publications that gave them favorable reviews, it would force publications to give more favorable reviews than they normally would, or end up on the blacklist. We'd end up with reviews that didn't reflect the real quality of games. Is this what you people want?

Hudo

But that's my point: it can't be an error.

They explicitly mentioned that DF can play the game, but EG cannot. Then they also didn't supply EG their own review copy. It means it was a properly planned and conscious decision.

EG has gotten a copy now, but only after this news blew up after their article. That also shows that Microsoft/Bethesda could have provided them a copy but chose not to. When it started blowing up on social media, they quickly provided EG a copy in less than 60 minutes.

Based on this, I don't think it was a communication error in Microsoft. I think they curated a list of outlets that they wanted to review the game on launch day and only provided copies to them.

Metro UK are also claiming they were in contact with bethesda for weeks and told they would get one. I don't know if they got one now with all this out in the public, legitimate comms issues seems laughable.
Well, then it is what it is. Not the best light Microsoft present themselves in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
More than dead... The information about videogames is in the hands of people like that.
Reviews before playing a Game ... LOL 🙃

The truth is that I do not understand such a lack of neurons and that this does not imply a penalty but the opposite... I do not understand how someone who sees these things can later take seriously the opinions, evaluations and content about video games (or about anything) of people like that.

I haven't played the game but I have feelings

giphy.gif

More than dead... The information about videogames is in the hands of people like that.

The truth is that I do not understand such a lack of neurons and that this does not imply a penalty but the opposite... I do not understand how someone who sees these things can later take seriously the opinions, evaluations and content about video games (or about anything) of people like that.

Fucking clowns like this are why Metacritic is a worthless metric.

Garbage in, garbage out.

Fabieter

People always make up their mind before they hit release. Look at stuff like days gone or forspoken. Not saying those games didn't have issues but damn was the hate big even before release. Imo reviewers jump on hate almost the same way the do on hype.

Interfectum

Wow this is truly next level "what the fuck"

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

KingT731

People always make up their mind before they hit release. Look at stuff like days gone or forspoken. Not saying those games didn't have issues but damn was the hate big even before release. Imo reviewers jump on hate almost the same way the do on hype.
But that particular instance was just observations based on what Bethesda has decided to show folks....You can't fault people for that.

Jesus...imagine putting so much emphasis on ethnicity in a fictional world in a damn game review. The game creator can make the whole cast blue lizardmen for all I care its his game and its not like they purposely put in offensive or bigoted content. Normally eurogamer was a great review site from my past recollection, Im hoping this is a rare instance from a single reviewer?
Lol they damned the witcher 3 for the exact same reason. Not enough 'variety' of skin colour. Still remember to this day.

Still waiting for Hogwarts Legacy review...
Shit, at least Starfield will be better than that shit. Hogwarts looks alright though pretty washed out in certain places and there are basrely any game mechanics besides killing copy and pasted enemies and selling loot at the shop in Hogsmeade.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I can't fault MS on this after the way the outlet treated Hogwarts. If they don't take themselves seriously enough to provide meaningful coverage for a GOTY candidate with massive sales, then why should a publisher who invested this much into their game take them seriously?
Let’s be honest, this isn’t a case of having high standards or credibility - otherwise dolt eastwood and the xboi crew wouldn’t be getting codes.

Ev1L AuRoN

I can't wait to see the reception the public will give the game, I don't watch reviews to decide which game to buy, it's more to see how good or broken the game is at launch, and to watch a bit of the gameplay to see if it seems like something I would like to play. Microsoft needs this game to be huge. And I need to see if my rig can rock it at 60fps... Or at least 36~40~48fps to take advantage of the Gsync.

themonk

Neo Member
I know it’s crazy how you can have an opinion of something just from looking at it… No one ever judges things from seeing it… I’ve never been able to tell if I think a game is going to be bad just from looking at it…. It just isn’t possible. The nerve of someone having an opinion of something in the way that I want them to have that opinion.

Dolomite

unless you are xbox (redfall - incredible fun) era of course

yeah after their article, and making sure review wont fall on day1
Not sure what Red fall has to do with the price of rice in Taiwan...but no outlet is "entitled" a early access to any product.

Making a bitter article reminding readers that they've been neglected is as funny as it is embarrassing

Fabieter

I know it’s crazy how you can have an opinion of something just from looking at it… No one ever judges things from seeing it… I’ve never been able to tell if I think a game is going to be bad just from looking at it…. It just isn’t possible. The nerve of someone having an opinion of something in the way that I want them to have that opinion.

It's one thing to have an opinion on something, it's something else to give some games pure hate before even playing it or before you have the whole picture. I know it's a strange multi layered concept but some games are hard to show off and you need access to the full game for all the system to make sense together. If you can judge a game from a bad trailer that's on you, iam more of an open minded guy. Cheers.

I think being selective with the review codes could bite MS in the ass later. Sure, the few initial reviewers who were handpicked by MS to review their game will be positive obviously, but the other review sites that were left out may score the game lower than it deserves out of spite as a protest for equal treatment.

MS should tread carefully.
‘Give us our free code or we’ll give you a protest bad score’ … the hallmark of journalistic integrity in gaming.

Interfectum

She works for IGN. Not farfetched she would have heard the impressions from whoever was reviewing it.

Obviously she could be competley talking out of her ass, but her impressions seems like she actually knew more.
Sorry there was never going to be a good response to "I haven't played this unreleased, much hyped, platform exclusive game but here is my negative opinion on it." Be it Starfield, Zelda, Spiderman 2 or whatever. It was for attention, she got it, just too much of it.

ManaByte

THIS^^. Many people in this thread doesn't understand how bad this can be. If publishers only sent review copies to publications that gave them favorable reviews, it would force publications to give more favorable reviews than they normally would, or end up on the blacklist. We'd end up with reviews that didn't reflect the real quality of games. Is this what you people want?
This is how the industry has worked for decades. Rockstar will literally call a publication and try to string arm a 9.7 to a 10 under threat of being blacklisted.

Interfectum

That doesn't make any sense.
Run a random ChatGPT request with the right prompts, I just wrote a Metro review:

"Hi-Fi RUSH, the latest offering from Tango Gameworks, attempts to bring rhythm-based combat to the forefront of gaming. However, its exclusivity to the Xbox platform, which has been starved for standout exclusives in recent times, feels less like a strategic move and more like a desperate bid for relevance. While the game boasts an intriguing premise of a world syncing to music, it's overshadowed by the platform's broader struggle to secure compelling exclusive titles, making it hard to see past the larger narrative of Xbox's exclusivity drought."

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Who are twitter users also. Like you Said.

If your going to justify it by saying content creator, well that applies to those clickbaity websites aswell.

And yes those content creators you mentioned are clickbaiters aswell.

Content creators on Twitter and Youtube are inherently clickbaity.

Journalism is supposed to be above that. And they clearly arent.

Top Bottom