• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer why our Starfield: review will be late (DF unaffected and will be on time)

StueyDuck

Less than 40% of Xbox console user base subscribers to Game Pass. It means more than 60% of Xbox's "most committed userbase" does not even use Game Pass. There are more than 120 million PC users; ~90% of them do not use Game Pass.

To say that 90% will play the game on Game Pass is significantly overestimating it. Most people would rather buy the game -- for which reviews would be important.
I mean 90% obviously wasn't an exact statistic 🤣

But i can't see most gamers not getting something for a cheap as possible. It's exactly why I'm gonna sign up to gamepass for a month, play the game then unsub.

I'm sure there's hard-core people that want to prove a point or something but for the casual working gamer I have limited time and real life to spend money on, why wouldn't I sub for a month for chump change to play the $60-70 game the world is going ham over 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

draliko

I don't really care about reviews but this situation is silly. The best thing would be to not give codes to anyone and let them buy games like everyone else, they choose that job let them pay for it. Gift and "special edition" gadget are a poison to unbiased reviews. Reviews shoul not be mandatory day1.

Last edited:

yazenov

I think being selective with the review codes could bite MS in the ass later. Sure, the few initial reviewers who were handpicked by MS to review their game will be positive obviously, but the other review sites that were left out may score the game lower than it deserves out of spite as a protest for equal treatment.

MS should tread carefully.

jm89

Very wrong take. All it shows is that Bethesda has something to hide. If you were confident about your game, you'd give it to even your biggest detractors. No review code for SkillUp and Edge is sus af.
Yeah i agree, definitely sus with the people they've selectively chosen to send it to. My comment was more general about eurogamer and edge.

Last edited:

Hudo

I don't really care about reviews but this situation is silly. The best thing would be to not give codes to anyone and let them buy games like everyone else, they choose that job let them pay for it. Gift and "special edition" gadget are a poison to unbiased reviews. Reviews shoul not be mandatory day1.
Another idea: Battle Royale. Let the gaming blogs and streamers fight (to the death, preferably) for some codes.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Angry Badass GIF by Yellowstone

HoodWinked

I dont care for eurogamer but are we cool now with publisher and platformholder blacklisting outlets? Iam just asking for future references.
if its in retaliation for a game being reviewed poorly it's bad, but when its because the outlet has become completely deranged and pull stunts like they did with Hogwarts Legacy they no longer operate as an outlet with journalistic standards thus its fair to treat them accordingly.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Just reading all these comments I don't quite understand where some people are coming from re: companies blacklisting review sites.

If a company cherry picks which publication can provide early reviews of their products, they are providing valuable scarce information that their preferred review sites can use to drive Web traffic to get an advantage over their review site competitors.

This induces review sites to hold back on criticism of big company releases. The result is that consumers don't get objective reviews of products but ones that hold back their critiques.

The only part of this that maybe doesn't hold water is if the blacklisting is so variable across gaming companies that all review sites are equally affected or it happens so rarely that consumers don't associate some review sites with more exclusive early access reviews or it doesn't happen for legitimate criticism but when review sites have an ulterior agenda.

If it is the latter ...are we certain that it's only for that purpose or is the picture more murky than that?

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

This induces review sites to hold back on criticism of big company releases. The result is that consumers don't get objective reviews of products but ones that hold back their critiques.
Which is why “games journalism” is a joke and you should not look at the reviews. Take all the info, analyse it yourself, make a purchase decision based on that.

MMaRsu

Banned
Who are twitter users also. Like you Said.

If your going to justify it by saying content creator, well that applies to those clickbaity websites aswell.

And yes those content creators you mentioned are clickbaiters aswell.

Lmao not every content creator is on Twitter doing clickbait shit.

Plenty of them have a code but have kept their mouth shut so far.

Also

jm89

Lmao not every content creator is on Twitter doing clickbait shit.

Plenty of them have a code but have kept their mouth shut so far.

Also

But some of them are and MS sent them review codes. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Gaming Journalism is dead. They are all just influencers with extra steps
More than dead... The information about videogames is in the hands of people like that.
Reviews before playing a Game ... LOL 🙃

The truth is that I do not understand such a lack of neurons and that this does not imply a penalty but the opposite... I do not understand how someone who sees these things can later take seriously the opinions, evaluations and content about video games (or about anything) of people like that.

Fabieter

if its in retaliation for a game being reviewed poorly it's bad, but when its because the outlet has become completely deranged and pull stunts like they did with Hogwarts Legacy they no longer operate as an outlet with journalistic standards thus its fair to treat them accordingly.

Okay but it's not only eurogamer missing. For me it ready like some people are fine with blacklisting.

Tams

They said it ‘limits the accolades they can give the game …’ so yes it did affect their review of it

What you need is a dictionary.

It just means they don't feel like they can call it 'the best rhythm game on Xbox' or the like when an accolade like that would mean nothing if it's the only one (or one of few).

I can say I'm the best swimmer in my company, but that is a meaningless accolade as there are many much better swimmers elsewhere.

MMaRsu

Banned
More than dead... The information about videogames is in the hands of people like that.

The truth is that I do not understand such a lack of neurons and that this does not imply a penalty but the opposite... I do not understand how someone who sees these things can later take seriously the opinions, evaluations and content about video games (or about anything) of people like that.

How does one become a host/producer at IGN with these absolutely horrible moronic opinions?

Like what kind of stupid shit is this even?

What you need is a dictionary.

It just means they don't feel like they can call it 'the best rhythm game on Xbox' or the like when an accolade like that would mean nothing if it's the only one (or one of few).

I can say I'm the best swimmer in my company, but that is a meaningless accolade as there are many much better swimmers elsewhere.
As opposed to the plethora of rhythm games that came out on other platforms in the last year or so? It was poorly worded which is why it got so much attention. What other ‘accolades’ would they have given it if Xbox had released more games?

whyman

If it was just Eurogamer I would understand but what’s up with several outlets? Too expensive to bribe US + Europe?

Pretty sure that just means that the affirmation "the best exclusive" doesn't hold much weight when it's also the only exclusive, as the writer affirm just a paragraph before...
I get that now, but it’s a confusing way to word it. Why not just say that instead of saying that accolades that are given to the game are limited? Really the only accolade they have given it that doesn’t hold much weight is the one they already gave it 2 sentences earlier.

Chukhopops

I already saw at least two people offended by this decision when they defended Sony not sending review copies to Stevivor.

Both are wrong but you can’t pick and choose…

john2gr

While getting review codes is a nice perk, publications shouldn't be entitled to them. Publications shouldn't rely on review codes to... you know... do their jobs and review games. Don't get me wrong, Bethesda and MS have messed things up (especially with that comment about DF accessing the review code. That was RIDICULOUS). What makes me laugh though is this sentence.

"Throughout the past two weeks, since copies of the game were made available to the media, I've spent hours trying to discuss the issue with Bethesda, and the matter has been repeatedly flagged to both Bethesda and Microsoft at senior levels."

Yeah, why? Why have you spent hours trying to discuss this? If they don't send you a copy, go ahead and purchase the game and let people know that you've purchased it and that your review will be delayed. Nowhere in this article does Eurogamer say that they went ahead and purchased the game. Why do they rely so much on a review code? If your review is good, then you wouldn't mind missing the release window (you know, rushing the game and writing a review for the clicks).

For instance, we, DSOGaming, did not receive any review code. So, you know, we did what you'd expect us to do. We went ahead and purchased two Digital Premium Editions (we obviously bought these editions to get access to the game as early as possible) for our Review and PC Performance Analysis purposes. Hell, some publishers have blacklisted us and have not sent us a review code in the past two years. We... don't care? We simply buy the games. And I'm certain that if we can purchase most of the game releases of 2023, then surely Eurogamer and all the other bigger publications are in a financial position to purchase all the games without an issue.

Last edited:

Tams

As opposed to the plethora of rhythm games that came out on other platforms in the last year or so? It was poorly worded which is why it got so much attention. What other ‘accolades’ would they have given it if Xbox had released more games?

Maybe 'Best game on Xbox'?

The problem is, you need a decent selection of games to ingeneously give that accolade.

Hudo

What beef could MS possibly have with Eurogamer? Am I missing something here?
Probably none. I think it's miscommunication between ZeniMax and Microsoft and who sends out shit to whom in which region. I bet by the end of the week, people will have gotten their keys. Eurogamer just made a drama out of this whole thing because that's what gaming blogs and streamers do. I don't think Microsoft would "blacklist" anyone. They're just too big of a company to have time to be petty like this. ZeniMax, on the other hand...

MMaRsu

Banned

This woman should be fired from IGN. What a trash opinion, writing some shit like that before even playing the game.

A producer / journalist for IGN. Says it all really. Don't need any skills to get a job.

Nihilum

This woman should be fired from IGN. What a trash opinion, writing some shit like that before even playing the game.

A producer / journalist for IGN. Says it all really. Don't need any skills to get a job.
TL:DR; She'll just say the opposite to everyone else so she gets attention. Edgequeen status confirmed.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Maybe metacritic should delay the score like two weeks after release. It would stop most of the bullshit around scores.
No chance, Metacritic are as much in the business of clicks as the websites providing the scores.

Essentially, the only way to try and get any ethics in journalism is to become the employer by paying for the product, rather than being the product that the publishers are selling to advertisers.

Another thing that the internet ruined.

Marvel14

Banned
Which is why “games journalism” is a joke and you should not look at the reviews. Take all the info, analyse it yourself, make a purchase decision based on that.
What info? From where? And how does it tell you if the product is worth buying?

If your answer is "user reviews" then that still requires users to buy it without any quality assessment - an individual investment companies are better able to bear. Plus their reviews are super hit and miss.

Last edited:

Fabieter

No chance, Metacritic are as much in the business of clicks as the websites providing the scores.

Essentially, the only way to try and get any ethics in journalism is to become the employer by paying for the product, rather than being the product that the publishers are selling to advertisers.

Another thing that the internet ruined.

This sucks, most of the time reviews have such a big influence how big the game gets. And some 90+ ain't better than sub 90 games but aint successful enough to gets sequels. This is soo bad for the industry at large.

Cyberpunkd

If your answer is "user reviews" then that still requires users to buy it without any quality assessment - an individual investment companies are better able to bear. Plus their reviews are super hit and miss.
Here I'm going to do it for you:

1. Huge world, great exploration, not as revolutionary as was promised
2. Some copy/paste or activities and systems from Skyrim
3. Some bugs, pretty standard Bethesda fare

9/10

You like Bethesda games? Buy it
You like Skyrim in space? Buy it
You like open-world RPG and are ok with sci-fi? Buy it

What quality? You see everything in the trailers, this is what the game looks like and plays. That goes for 99% of games out there.

Also - what investment? The game is available on Game Pass.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Probably none. I think it's miscommunication between ZeniMax and Microsoft and who sends out shit to whom in which region. I bet by the end of the week, people will have gotten their keys. Eurogamer just made a drama out of this whole thing because that's what gaming blogs and streamers do. I don't think Microsoft would "blacklist" anyone. They're just too big of a company to have time to be petty like this. ZeniMax, on the other hand...
I don't believe that. If this is just because of confusion, then why did Bethesda explicitly say to Eurogamer that they can't review the game and only Digital Foundry can play the game?

Hudo

I don't believe that. If this is just because of confusion, then why did Bethesda explicitly say to Eurogamer that they can't review the game and only Digital Foundry can play the game?
Good point. But Eurogamer have gotten a key now, as I understand it. So it was most likely really just an error of communication somewhere.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Good point. But Eurogamer have gotten a key now, as I understand it. So it was most likely really just an error of communication somewhere.
But that's my point: it can't be an error.

They explicitly mentioned that DF can play the game, but EG cannot. Then they also didn't supply EG their own review copy. It means it was a properly planned and conscious decision.

EG has gotten a copy now, but only after this news blew up after their article. That also shows that Microsoft/Bethesda could have provided them a copy but chose not to. When it started blowing up on social media, they quickly provided EG a copy in less than 60 minutes.

Based on this, I don't think it was a communication error in Microsoft. I think they curated a list of outlets that they wanted to review the game on launch day and only provided copies to them.

Top Bottom