• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Xbox One Includes a Chat Headset!! + Xbox One Day One Unboxing

ToyBroker

Banned
That's not what I said.

I do know that my PS3 got really hot and I did perform repairs on it myself so I've had hands-on with the PSU. The fan wasn't the issue, I had the version with the extra blades, turned out I needed new thermal paste. Anyway there really isn't anything special about the PSU other than the fact that it's placed inside the console.

There it is in the middle:

IMG_0606.jpg

You're implying that external PSUs are the obvious engineering choice..and the fact that Sony decided to go internal, going by your logic, means ?

Engineering wiz up in here.

Apparently Sony have no clue as to what they are doing.

He's right. The internal psu's positives are purely aesthetic. The external psu keeps heat down inside the console and will allow for potentially better air flow.

I haven't seen my xbox power brick in years. It sits behind my home entertainment system with my plugs. The "external power brick is a deal breaker for me" argument really is grasping at straws.

ToyBroker

Banned
He's right. The internal psu's positives are purely aesthetic. The external psu keeps heat down inside the console and will allow for potentially better air flow.

I haven't seen my xbox power brick in years. It sits behind my home entertainment system with my plugs. The "external power brick is a deal breaker for me" argument really is grasping at straws.

Maybe--but saying things like it'll give better air flow as fact is disingenuous and you know it. I think Sony knows what we're doing.

Good thing PS4 already has all the straws, the paper wrappers, and the manufacturing plant.

TheJCAbr

Banned

And in case your power brick breaks/stops working you can just buy a new one without ever replacing the console.

MoneyHats

Banned
You're implying that external PSUs are the obvious engineering choice..and the fact that Sony decided to go internal, going by your logic, means ?

It means that even if God himself created the PSU, it's going to generate heat, means the internals will be warmer.

I'm not saying they won't have their internal temperature in check by setting up an efficient air flow system that will pump the heat out, but there's more heat/noise being generated because of it. For my AV cabinet it means more hot air pumping into it, so even if my PS3 is surviving, I can't put anything else in the same slot or it will literally kill my other components lol.

Maybe--but saying things like it'll give better air flow as fact is disingenuous and you know it. I think Sony knows what we're doing.

Good thing PS4 already has all the straws, the paper wrappers, and the manufacturing plant.

If there is more space inside due to a component which produces heat being outside, wouldn't that potentially give better airflow?

Read what I said. Its not automatic, I said it could potentially lead.

You work for Sony?

Enlil

wow what happened to all the Xbone is done ? Everyone is going 180 now. because of a headset. Sony might go for 2 headsets then. Come on Sony Surprise us at gamescom. Ps4+Vita Bundle 499? It would be the Xbone killer.

Heysoos

wow what happened to all the Xbone is done ? Everyone is going 180 now. because of a headset. Sony might go for 2 headsets then. Come on Sony Surprise us at gamescom. Ps4+Vita Bundle 499? It would be the Xbone killer.

lol what the shit is this? Console wars are funny.

see5harp

No shit dude. Those consoles had alternate methods of video output..hence why they were included with cheapo composite/RGB cables.

Did you even read my post?

I'm just wasn't aware of it being illegal to sell a console without a cord. I did fail to read the whole part about there being no other video output. Why are you so mad? If you want to argue with people at least make it about something that actually matters. No one should be deciding whether to buy a console based on having a $5 cord or an external power supply.

Ikkarus

How many other electrical devices have a power brick? Not many...... It's much more customer friendly having everything built in one device.

When Sony built the PS4 I'm sure they would have done extensive testing ensuring the whole unit didn't overheat.

MoneyHats

Banned
How many other electrical devices have a power brick? Not many...... It's much more customer friendly having everything built in one device.

When Sony built the PS4 I'm sure they would have done extensive testing ensuring the whole unit didn't overheat.

Basically any electronic device that has a DC input which means almost all:
Laptops, Deskjet printers, modems, routers, phones... basically the reverse is true, very few electronics connect directly to an AC source.

ToyBroker

Banned
I'm just wasn't aware of it being illegal to sell a console without a cord. I did fail to read the whole part about there being no other video output. Why are you so mad? If you want to argue with people at least make it about something that actually matters. No one should be deciding whether to buy a console based on having a $5 cord or an external power supply.

Because replying/arguing to someone without reading the entirety of their post comes across as douchey.

And once again you've done it again because my entire post was surely based entirely around the HDMI inclusion--all I did was mention it was law to require it to work out of the box and people shouldn't be surprised. My whole post was based around the damn IR blaster cord.

Great job.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I can see them making it removable but they will still ship one with every box. (I hope so at least)

This. The main concern for many is the always on/plugged in when realistically there is no technical reason for it, other than devs can use it. And several against, including the breaking/replacement factor, and privacy issues. Including it but not mandating it is a good way to split the baby in a sense. Makes sure everyone has it, and can be used if needed/wanted, while not forcing it.

I have to say MS is on a good roll here with the 180s and clarifications. I just with they had done some of this to begin with. A coherent, unified, non reactionary message from day 1 would have helped them immensely.

Artorias

Banned
OOOOH SHIT! This is awesome! Just found out about this. Great decision Microsoft. If it is better than that cheap piece of shit Sony is offering I may actually switch to Xbox One.

...You would switch consoles based on the included headsets? Are you actually interested in video games?

see5harp

Because replying/arguing to someone without reading the entirety of their post comes across as douchey.

And once again you've done it again because my entire post was surely based entirely around the HDMI inclusion--all I did was mention it was law to require it to work out of the box and people shouldn't be surprised. My whole post was based around the damn IR blaster cord.

Great job.

No you did the same thing yesterday posting something mad without ever even clarifying what you meant. Something like "you are on fire today." This is after I just defended the inclusion of a ear bud headset. All you need to be is be a bit more balanced and maybe you won't come across as sounding mad all of the time for no reason.

KageMaru

Wow console wars at it's finest here.

untitled-2fzbvc.gif

Apparently Sethos is still around, inside me, making gifs.

lol this is awesome.

I've never understood the whinging about external power bricks either.

Yeah i'll never understand it either. In the many years I've had multiple consoles attached to my TV, including both the PS3 and 360, not once did I put any thought into the external brick.

LAMBO

phQx2Ry.jpg

They need to include a headset for streamers or there will be echo issues right, just like sony had to, or streaming is useless.

Have they explained why they have a less powerful console, but it's bigger than their competitor AND they still need a power brick? I still can't believe as big as this thing is, that u still need a power brick.

EvB

Have they explained why they have a less powerful console, but it's bigger than their competitor AND they still need a power brick? I still can't believe as big as this thing is, that u still need a power brick.

Clouds take a lot of volume

dcx4610

I believe they wanted every item to have a 16:9 ratio for aesthetic reasons. That includes the power brick and Kinect.

As for the power brick, the goal is silent operation since they want it powered on 24/7. An internal power supply would have increased the heat and noise due to fans.

As far as less powerful, the chips and memory modules are still the same size. That's not going to affect the console size.

Top Bottom