• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2014 Fighting Game Tournament of the Year July 11th - 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uraizen

Banned
The game itself is excellent and pretty solid but these things contributed to its widespread hatred.

I would love to see more of the game because pair play is a LOT of fun and the gameplay has a lot of potential that probably still hasn't been fully explored.

Yup... by the time the 2013 update rolled around it was too late. It has a stigma to it that it will never be able to shake. Hell, I still think it's better than SFIV to this day.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
To elaborate:

1) The game was badly balanced and glitchy on launch. Certain characters were WTF amazing, some - mostly Tekken characters - were atrocious.
2) Many of the game's systems were badly designed - boost combos, tags, cross assaults, pandora mode and gems were loved by some, strongly disliked by many.
3) The game is a visual mess.
4) The community quickly discovered that Capcom had locked 12 complete DLC characters on the disc, along with a variety of gems.
5) A whopping 5 console exclusive characters for the PS3 version, including Troll Megaman and Mokujin Pac-Man, neither of which had any excuse to be exclusive.
6) The autoblock gem caused a lot of ire when launched.
7) Throws were extremely bad - 7f on startup for very little damage. This lead to hyper-defensive play, known as Jab X Timeout.
8) The music... oh sweet lord the music. With classic crossovers like MvC and CvS being well loved for their scores, tracks like Pitstop 109 made people actively avoid some stages, unless you liked...
9) Trolling - Capcom's addition of a colour edit mode was appreciated up until the point they released the neon glow colours. An already negative community reaction overflowed into active distaste for some when all-neon characters became the new Blanka Alt 3 Meta online.
10) Evo mandated a 2v2 rule for tournaments, which was just about the stupidest idea known to man.
11) Due to the fact that you have two lifebars, games could (and still) take a long time to finish, which only forced the hyper defensive playstyle further into dominance. If you had any kind of lifelead at 20 seconds left, you almost certainly had won the round.
12) The game was a very easy target for the not-Capcom communities to blow holes in.
13) Marvel was big at the time, and the hype vs anti-hype was a big contrast.
14) Cross Assault made the FGC look like sexist children.
15) The game was utter garbage, and still is to this day.

Go watch a SFxT tournament. Any one. It's a dull, samey experience which does not encourage you to play the game.

SFxT is the best modern example of a 2D fighter commiting sudoku. Dissect it and you can find a lot of what-not-to-dos.
You even left out the pay-to-win DLC, which is the one and only reason why I'm still glad that game crashed and burned. And I never had a problem with how the game actually played!

Just saw the results on EH....nice job on Mike Ross getting 23rd place. Top 8 consists of 4 Japanese players, 2 American players, 1 European player....where's Gackt from?

Tizoc

You even left out the pay-to-win DLC, which is the one and only reason why I'm still glad that game crashed and burned.

The pay to win dlc doesn't even do shit. If you even bother to play or watch matches of the game you'll see how Gems don't do shit.
Get over this stuff already for fuck's sake.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any chance at all that Marvel wont be the Chris G show?

Uraizen

Banned
You even left out the pay-to-win DLC, which is the one and only reason why I'm still glad that game crashed and burned. And I never had a problem with how the game actually played!

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. I'm glad that scheme will serve as an example of what not to do for Capcom and other publishers. Still... I enjoyed the game and it's a little sad it had to suffer because of their dumbass decisions.

any chance at all that Marvel wont be the Chris G show?

Raise your ResidentSleepers

Zj9GNCS.jpg

Well I mentioned the 12 characters and the autoblock gem.

The pay to win dlc doesn't even do shit. If you even bother to play or watch matches of the game you'll see how Gems don't do shit.
Get over this stuff already for fuck's sake.

The fact that gems are pretty pointless is an aspect of the whole "almost every unique mechanic in this game is badly flawed" thing.

petghost

Banned
i know the vampire games did it and i like it there but i was really bugged by the combo system in SFxT being both link and chain based. its very un-intuitive to have to link into a normal that you can also chain into because if you don't you wont be able to perform a special move. just a weird system.

Eh. It's interesting to see how a game that puts Evil Ryu as potentially one of the best is far from what AE2012 used to be like. AE 2012 was silly normals and amazing Vortex (Akuma, Cammy and Seth) yet Evil Ryu is playing a very strong fundamentals with little to no vortex. Is SFIV now going back to stronger fundamental play?

The fact that two people can have such disparate opinions on it is pretty much SFxT in a nutshell. Some people really like it - and it's not as if they're wrong - getting fun out of that game is fine. But Jesus is the game wonky. And it had such potential.

Yeah this. I honestly think the game had a lot of potential. I love the Tekken series and played nearly every major SF game to the point that I've played more SFIV than any ever other this generation...but wow is SFxT a massive pile of steaming horse shit. It's so incredibly bad that I shoved the box straight the back of my Xbox 360 just so I don't have to look at it.

The auto-block gem that took only 1/8 of a bar of meter. Art was losing to cammy's that just held forward and mashed on jab until they hit. Now that was a pay to win gem.

One of the tipping points for me was that I played Bison and lost to an auto-block. I did the basic Bison combo in SFxT so it cause the opponent to do a hard knockdown, this then lets Bison players setup the Psycho Crusher cross-up which is a very solid cross-up in SFIV and SFxT. But because it's (fairly) easy to punish if blocked correctly, Bison will end up taking a decent amount of damage. I lost to someone who had no idea on how to block it and won using auto-block gem. I didn't get salty or "Gootecks" my stick out the window, I just finished the mach and had to think about the future of that game.
It's insulting to both games and the genre.

IronLich

I really enjoyed SFxT as a game, but it's an example of high-level play just sucking the fun right out of a game. Unless you're Infiltration or sethlolol, your gameplan was hit and run due to the defensive focus with health regen being a bit too high, and the infamously fast timer.

But I love it as a concept. A fan of both Street Fighter and Tekken, I think the Tekken characters blended in really well. Most got to keep their signature combo strings in full (Nina), others got converted into full on Street Fighter characters (Alisa), and shocker of all shockers, a Capcom VS where the rival company got to see more of their characters at top tier. Law, Lili, Nina, Alisa, Hwoarang...

Regardless, it was fun while the hype was real. Pre-release, hopes were quite high on the project. It's hard to put into words how devastating it was for me to watch the community distance themselves from what could have been my dream game I never knew I wanted.

Sayah

If it wasn't already posted here, Harada's tweet on his announcement. Check updated EVO schedule.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/487828079817932800

Ono intro right after.

ThIs has to be TKXSF or otherwise people will be disappointed if it's anything else.

Yup... by the time the 2013 update rolled around it was too late. It has a stigma to it that it will never be able to shake. Hell, I still think it's better than SFIV to this day.

As a mainly Tekken player going into the game, I enjoyed it a lot. The dev team did a great job translating Tekken characters into the SF universe. But alas, I don't think the game is going to get much more attention in the future.

Tizoc

The auto-block gem that took only 1/8 of a bar of meter. Art was losing to cammy's that just held forward and mashed on jab until they hit. Now that was a pay to win gem.

Was that during an EVO match? Mind linking to it? I've watchedlots of matches over the past months and i've barely noticed the effects of gems in them.

ismk

It sucks that I was not able to watch yesterday. Yesterday was not only the day of upsets but also when the tier list means very little.

RocBase

That DLC stuff is pure bullshit WTF. Is that when Capcom became Crapcom

oh lawd no, as sad as it is to say they've been making a mess of a good deal of their franchises long before the cross tekken fiasco

though to be fair some of the games they released were among my favorites of the entire generation, it's a such a shame they make it so hard to love them as well

Tizoc

Well I mentioned the 12 characters and the autoblock gem.

The fact that gems are pretty pointless is an aspect of the whole "almost every unique mechanic in this game is badly flawed" thing.

I have my own idea of how games could work but as is their effect is near non existent.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
If it wasn't already posted here, Harada's tweet on his announcement. Check updated EVO schedule.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/487828079817932800

Ono intro right after.

ThIs has to be TKXSF or otherwise people will be disappointed if it's anything else.

As a mainly Tekken player going into the game, I enjoyed it a lot. The dev team did a great job translating Tekken characters into the SF universe. But alas, I don't think the game is going to get much more attention in the future.

Not sure if you already noticed, but the character vote poll for TekkenxStreet Fighter that was posted on their facebook two years ago is gone! It must've ended recently too as I checked the page about 3 months ago and it was still up. XD

Soooooo excited!

Sayah

Not sure if you already noticed, but the character vote poll for TekkenxStreet Fighter that was posted on their facebook two years ago is gone! It must've ended recently too as I checked the page about 3 months ago and it was still up. XD

Soooooo excited!

Oh man......I didn't notice that. NIIIIICE!

No matter how likely the TKXSF announcement is right now, I have to keep my hopes in check in case of future disappointment.

But I'M READY.

Imm0rt4l

it's realy not worth watching, east coast got rekt.

it was kind of sad actually.
Good to know then. Not at all surprising really. People conflate the entertainment value of east coast streams with skill and have this strange notion that west coast would get their shit pushed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom