• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exactly six years ago*, GameSpot reviewed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

chiablo

The best part of Twilight Princess on the Wii?

The fishing in that game is still the best fishing in any video game (with Super Black Bass being a close second.)

Dizzy

Banned
Without question the biggest and most violent meltdown I've ever seen. Sad to think it was actually over a pretty good score. I wouldn't have even given that game a score that high after I played it.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Allot of this stuff is so embarrassing, the manchildren of the internet really need to grow up and put things into perspective.

Taruranto

Didn't something similar happen with SS?

Anyway, i hold no respect for reviewers, but the fact that some people automatically assume that x game from a famous company or brand MUST be a masterpiece no matter what despite the fact they haven't played it and solely based on the hype it's one of the most sick and depressing aspect of videogames.

Also scores are fucked up yo, it's 1-10, not Shit<9.

And, yet, Jeff was spot on.

I wasn't upset at the time, but I do remember the general outrage at the time. I just played it and had a good time. Coming back to it last year, though, I think he was perhaps a little generous with his scoring.

VASPER

Banned
I like this thread and i must admit i don't feel Jeff is in the wrong. I believe that anyone should take a review and someone's opinion with a grain of salt no matter who they are. Why do we have to get up in arms over an opinion? C'mon really why do we have to voice our opinion of someone because of something they do for work? Lets all ascend this body and realize we are all one and after we pass this life none of this shit will matter.

LevityNYC

Banned
Now I know why LevityNYC hates Giantbomb. Twilight Princess is not a good game. Wind Waker and Zelda II are my two favorite Zeldas. Twilight Princess has some fucking awful design decisions and people going nuts over 8.8 are more insane than the rest of us insane gamers!

I was not a fan of Twilight Princess either.

jett

D-Member
The backlash was ridiculous. 8.8 was probably about right for TP, and Jeff's written text was spot on. I'd probably score it less than that because of the unresponsive waggle crap.

I guess the closest we've got to it was Eurogamer's 8.0 for Uncharted 3 debacle. Fanboys are just the worst.

I really enjoy TP. Here on NeoGAF, everyone praise the hell out of Wind Waker and bashes TP all the time. Outside of GAF (or even the net), TP is far more praised.

The reaction to the first negative reviews for TDKR on Rotten Tomatoes is the most extreme I've seen in this sort of case, when comments were shut down for weeks. Death threats, misogyny, it wasn't even funny, just utterly pathetic.

Persona7

Banned
I9fiB.png

I remember all that whining.

lantus

Man I remember the meltdowns when that review hit. People were so fucking hyped for that Zelda, anything less than a 9 was unacceptable. I got some great fucking laughs while I was at gamespot at the time.

Randdalf

I absolutely loved this game, I spent 22 hours playing it over a weekend playing it after the Wii launched. It was the first Zelda I played through from start to finish. I still consider it probably my favourite Zelda game, the atmosphere was just amazing at some points. I felt they rushed through the dungeons towards the end though, after the slow and steady start.

MisterHero

People wanted more OoT and they got more OoT. TP doesn't reference every little thing in said game, but it really is more of the OoT formula. My only technical problem was the pacing but I loved the story and the art direction.

With the possible argument on puzzle solving, combat and exploration were also a lot deeper and more engaging than any of its predecessors. It might not be that tough, but it has some of the best dungeons in the series.

There was a time when people posted angrily without having played the game, but most of them did play the game later. Out of that group, many including myself still think Gerstman's wrong. The debate as it exists should be the thing being paid attention to, not the former.

If reviewers really wanted to stab at Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, maybe they should have brought up that both games have GAME-ENDING BUGS. Those are far more crucial than some pacing issues or unfamiliarity with motion controls.

If this thread is an argument trying to lend credibility to the bias/lack of bias on the part of reviewers, it goes both ways. IGN went out of their way to trash Twilight Princess in their Game of the Year video. It's okay though; they're professionals and forum posters who disagree know nothing.

The backlash makes me laugh out loud to this day. An 8.8 is far from a bad score. Plus, Legend of Zelda isn't safe from criticism. So why were people flipping out that this game didn't get a 10/10 from one single reviewer? I cannot wrap my mind around that.

What were they right about?

He whines about motion controls, when there was literally nothing wrong with the motion controls at all. He bellyached about having to swing the wiimote for a sword slash, not realizing he didn't, you know, have to swing it like a sword.

If anything, bitch about the long ass beginning. The beginning is the reason why the game's a 9.2 or so, not the motion controls.

ARE YOU A WOLF IN ZELDA 2 OR WIND WAKER? NO. AND ZELDA WAS FUCKING BAD ASS IN WIND WAKER.

You had to do a fucking song to change the boats direction in Wnd Waker, and then the game takes it to the extreme with the fetch quest. Nothing in TP comes close to being that tedious.

He whines about motion controls, when there was literally nothing wrong with the motion controls at all. He bellyached about having to swing the wiimote for a sword slash, not realizing he didn't, you know, have to swing it like a sword.

If anything, bitch about the long ass beginning. The beginning is the reason why the game's a 9.2 or so, not the motion controls.

Nothing wrong with the motion controls? Considering all it does is map waggle as a button press instead of something deeper, there is reason to complain. It's a lot smoother to just press a button in that game, which is why the GC version just feels right in comparison. The intro was a bit lengthy and felt slow, so I can see the problem there too. Especially if you're replaying the game. Still one of my favorite games in the series regardless.

Evlar

Banned
Don't give a shit about the number applied.

My beef with this review- and others of its kind- is that it triumphs a particular point of view of successful game design: specifically, that formulas get "old" and need to be refreshed at certain intervals. The degree to which they are refreshed sounds like a decent objective measure, but it fails by lack of specificity (what exactly crosses the threshold from "too samey" to "new enough"?) and a lack of a compelling argument about whether people actually want the formula changed in every case; whether or not, in fact, the general public really give a damn about the concept of "formula" at all.

So it's a subjective measure the same as other methods of parsing personal responses to a work. This must be emphasized again and again, since so many discussions about the quality of this game (and others) hinges on people tacitly accepting the idea of the Stale Formula as an obvious and objective flaw. Further, it's a particularly unhelpful sort of criticism: it is unspecific, and to some extent depends on a counterintuitive understanding of what people want; isn't it strange to expect people buying a Zelda game to want something unlike other Zeldas?

The truth is, very few games like Zelda are made. If each were nearly identical (and they aren't) they would still be unusual against the background of the thousands of non-Zelda titles in existence that do not share the series' mechanics to any great degree. If we wish to criticize games for being formulaic I would expect attention to turn to the games that ARE very much like many others recently released: your annual sports franchises, your constant flow of team multiplayer FPS, and so forth. The concept of the Stale Formula does get applied sometimes, but other times it is completely ignored.

Some other specific criticisms of TP make a lot of sense to me. This one in particular, though, has been repeated so much but to me says so frustratingly little.

Nothing wrong with the motion controls? Considering all it does is map waggle as a button press instead of something deeper, there is reason to complain. It's a lot smoother to just press a button in that game, which is why the GC version just feels right in comparison. The intro was a bit lengthy and felt slow, so I can see the problem there too. Especially if you're replaying the game. Still one of my favorite games in the series regardless.

The IR aiming was good though!

MisterHero

IR aiming is incredible. Skyward Sword's aiming is just as good, especially if you appreciate how something like the Bow & Arrow works. The fishing in the Wii version of TP was exceptional as well.

My pacing issue isn't just with the beginning, but also that you don't get the Horse Call until the game's almost over. The whistle weeds aren't everywhere in the game, so you're stuck running around as a human or a wolf a lot.

I didn't have that much of a problem, but in a field that is magnitudes larger than OoT's Hyrule Field, I can see how it can get boring.

Izick

Jeff is defending TP right now on the Giant Bomb Wii U stream. Patrick says it's "a bad game."

EDIT: Beaten.

Nothing has changed. People still freak out over review scores for games they haven't played. Even GAF, which is probably the best gaming community there is. It's embarrassing.

Compare those TP quotes to the Uncharted 3 quotes from the review thread here. Fanboys being fanboys, just for different systems and games.

(OoT > TP > MM > WW > SS for 3D Zeldas)

Top Bottom