• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exactly six years ago*, GameSpot reviewed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

We'll never get the Twilight Princess reaction again because there's nothing as universally liked as Nintendo was in 2006, on GameFAQs especially.

Roto13

The only thing I really disagree with in those quotes is the bit about the bosses. They may not be particularly complicated, but they're amazingly fun to fight.

This whole thing reminded me of the section in Game Players magazine that was dedicated to letting readers disagree with review scores and they'd always say stuff like "You gave Dynamite Headdy an 8.6 and I disagree completely. You're way off. It should be an 8.9." Jesus, it's the same score on a proper 10 point scale. (100 is way too fucking much.) 8.8 is basically 9/10. That's not a low score for anything.
The absolute first thing that struck me about that crew
But yeah, I don't like the Giant Bomb guys for reasons completely unrelated to that review.

You left out the best GameFAQs screencap.

2060839-searchresultsjeff.png

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wouldn't give any of the post-N64 Zeldas anything more than a 7/10 now that I think about it.

They all have promising stuff, but equally flawed by some big problems. Wind Waker looked great and had character, but the sailing shit was so boring and killed my interest. Twilight Princess had great dungeons, but crappy motion controls and lame wolf sections. Skyward Sword would've been fantastic if not for the blatant filler and backtracking.

Recently got a 3DS and Zelda: OoT 3D. I'm hoping the game holds up to my memory of it.

Seeing how I played OoT for the first time on 3ds and it just felt medicore to me, I'll say probably not. Nostalgia can make things amazing though.

Honestly I haven't been able to stomach zelda games since I started playing the Ys games and Okami :(

I think zelda has been pretty irrelevant since WW, which was a somewhat flawed game anyway. If you don't have nostalgia for the series the recent ones are stale as all shit.

Part of the problem is the release timing, it would have been awesome if a game like SS came out in 2006 and a Wii U Zelda came out now or in 2013.

Zee-Row

Banned
Twilight Princess wasn't a very good game especially the Wii version. It had easy boss fights and a very bland overworld.

IGN did a MK double dash that I remember a lot of freak out. I think it was a 7.9?

I doubt we'll see something that crazy again. It seemed to be a build up of a lot of things at the time.

Nintendo diehards were all ready hating Jeff for his Luke warm motion controls, then mix in the hype of the second coming of OOT, and also a franchise that never saw a lot of scores or reviews that called it out some

Reading his review I always thought he wanted to score it lower but wouldn't be THAT bold.

Izick

IGN did a MK double dash that I remember a lot of freak out. I think it was a 7.9?

I doubt we'll see something that crazy again. It seemed to be a build up of a lot of things at the time.

Nintendo diehards were all ready hating Jeff for his Luke warm motion controls, then mix in the hype of the second coming of OOT, and also a franchise that never saw a lot of scores or reviews that called it out some

Reading his review I always thought he wanted to score it lower but wouldn't be THAT bold.

Exactly.

Nah, Jeff is like that (see his Halo 4 review and QL )

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I've never played Zelda, any entry, so my sanity is safe regarding this

Some people really want to live and die by those numbers

I really thought that Uncharted 3 debacle was crazy, this is like the motherload

tborsje

8.8 seems about right. Those meltdowns are hilarious though, gamers are so fucking immature sometimes. At least on GAF raving fanboys get called out and the worst offenders are moderated.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Zelda fans terrify me. God, if only Persona fans were that devout. Where was this backlash when Innocent Sin got ravaged by reviewers?

Because the story in the game was awesome, people are able to overlook the gameplay, which aged like milk.

That and people were just happy to get IS in the first place. :p

KingFire

Banned
Zelda SS review generated some intense flame wars too. It got 7.5 on Gamespot. I remember reading some insane posts that wished the reviewer death.

And an 8.8 is pretty close to how I'd have scored it (then and now). I still can't believe the uproar that caused. It's a very good score for a very good game.

Khezu

I didn't even finish twilight princess, was about a hairs breath away though.

I remember hating a lot of things in that game, the entire intro section, the combat, how easy everything was, being a wolf, the long ass time it takes to turn into a wolf, having max money and having to completely ignore chests in fear it was more money and I would have to put it back in a painfully long animation.
The world was huge and empty, the graphics were all bloomy.

Looking back, I can't even think of anything I actually enjoyed about it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think the score is too high for the Wii version personally.

Yep, was honestly a Gamecube game and you could tell Iwata strong-armed Miyamoto to port it to the new console.

jackal27

Banned
I never understood this very well, but I remember being a little peeved about this. Absolutely bonkers. Today it is one of my least favorite Zelda games and I would even give it below what he gave, haha. An 8.8 is a score to be proud of. Pretty insane backlash.

Izick

Right about what? 8.8 was beyond generous.

Zelda fans are like COD fans, they are delusional fanboys that go beserk when you don't give their game a 10/10.

I agree, but I think it's really that since the fan bases are so huge for both of those franchises, they attract the absolute worst out there, as seen in the screencaps.

AppleMIX

That's the moment that I stopped caring about reviews. Not because Jeff was wrong (In fact I would of probably given it a lower score) but how fucking rabid people are who take reviews seriously.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
In retrospect I definitely had my system launch goggles on with Wii TP. The opening 5 hours are pretty painful. I think I'd still give it a 9 today but an 8.8 is completely understandable.

smr00

Banned
In retrospect I definitely had my system launch goggles on with Wii TP. The opening 5 hours are pretty painful. I think I'd still give it a 9 today but an 8.8 is completely understandable.
I must of been shit faced on launch hype when 360 came out because i thought Perfect Dark Zero was awesome.

Tried replaying it a few years back and threw it in the trash.

Izick

I must of been shit faced on launch hype when 360 came out because i thought Perfect Dark Zero was awesome.

Tried replaying it a few years back and threw it in the trash.

I tried, but I couldn't. Such a bad game. I don't think I even finished it to be honest. I remember having some fun with the multiplayer, but not because it was good, but more of the fact that it was new and shiny.

smr00

Banned
I tried, but I couldn't. Such a bad game. I don't think I even finished it to be honest. I remember having some fun with the multiplayer, but not because it was good, but more of the fact that it was new and shiny.
I think it was a mixture of that, new console hype and the fact i was a stoner back then.

For some reason i just remember REALLY liking that game but when i fired it back up years ago i wanted to vomit it was so bad.

Pappasman

TP had a shit first couple hours, but once you get past that its really damn good. That being said, Jeff's review was right on the money.

Zelda fans were also right.

Not that I was into review scores before TP, but this score really highlighted the absurdity of review scores in general.

In hindsight, the reasons for docking Twilight Princess for trivial, frivolous matters were beyond silly; the game is, and was, amazing in nearly all respects. In a world where derivative trash like Gears of War and CoD routinely get perfect scores, the backlash to the review wasn't all that hard to see or understand.

On the other hand, games journalism lol.

This is what we were talking about in the other thread. Nintendo fans are the worst. Its just one fucking review, Jesus Christ. Also Gears 1 was an amazing game and for its time wasn't generic at all, unlike the 15th Zelda game.

Top Bottom