• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exactly six years ago*, GameSpot reviewed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

MisterHero

Hey hey hey hey hey. Lets not say silly things.
I'm sorry if you can't roll around, dodge, drink super potions and use Skyward's Bow the right way like I can. :p

I'll admit a device like the Gust Bellows or the Slingshot were less than inspired, but NEVER THE BOW. D:<

Rubius

I might have to replay Twillight. I might do a Zelda Timeline playthrough when I get my Zelda Historia.
fkLoN.gif

I'm sorry if you can't roll around, dodge, drink super potions and use Skyward's Bow the right way like I can. :p

I'll admit a device like the Gust Bellows or the Slingshot were less than inspired, but NEVER THE BOW. D:<

I missed the IR. I found MotionPlus aiming slower and more prone to fuck ups.

Outside of the dungeons, I didn't really like it at all

The opening was tear inducing and that ugly little kid, ugh.

The dungeons were quite good though

I can't recall that episode but wow at the outrage. I remember the E3 2004 unveiling; grown ass men cheering like little kids. I bet most of those complaining were 'of age' now that I think about it

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Now I know why LevityNYC hates Giantbomb. Twilight Princess is not a good game. Wind Waker and Zelda II are my two favorite Zeldas. Twilight Princess has some fucking awful design decisions and people going nuts over 8.8 are more insane than the rest of us insane gamers!

Wow we have the same 2 favorite zeldas :lol

I think Twilight Princess is a solid 7/10 game. Boring as shit and easily the worst console Zelda game. But it looks great and has some cool things about it (NOT THE FUCKING WOLF)

But for whatever reason it kept me hooked for the entirety of the game. Maybe because I was expecting something to wow me, but nothing ever did.

I think Twilight Princess is a solid 7/10 game. Boring as shit and easily the worst console Zelda game. But it looks great and has some cool things about it (NOT THE FUCKING WOLF)

But for whatever reason it kept me hooked for the entirety of the game. Maybe because I was expecting something to wow me, but nothing ever did.

How can something that's "boring as shit" be a 7/10? Just because you kept playing in the hopes it would get better? :\

That seems like a messed up scale to me. If I described something as boring as shit, it wouldn't get over a 3. Skyward Sword was so boring/badly designed I didn't get over halfway through it, the first Zelda game I never completed, and I'd give that a 2 probably.

I thought it was the least-best Zelda I had ever played up to that point. It didn't help that the intro was long and boring. His review seems about right, 8.8 might even be a bit too generous (although understandingly), and fanboys be crazy as hell.

Dragon

Banned
You had to do a fucking song to change the boats direction in Wnd Waker, and then the game takes it to the extreme with the fetch quest. Nothing in TP comes close to being that tedious.

I actually loved the boat. And I loved Zelda. And Zelda II is the best Zelda out there. It's not even close.

rvy

Banned
1. What the Hell was that all about? Zelda games have come and gone since, so have heavily anticipated games and launch titles, but nothing has exploded quite with the same rage and venom. Can this ever happen again?
If someone from a major publication decides to do it again with an iconic Nintendo franchise, which happens to have an amazing outing with some flaws, sure.

2. In retrospect, I generally agree with Jeff's review. The backlash looks all the more absurd. Anyone else feel like this?
Absolutely. He was being objective, even if I disagree with his comments.
A lot of people don't bother to read and just look at the score though.

LevityNYC

Banned
If someone from a major publication decides to do it again with an iconic Nintendo franchise that happens to have an amazing outing with some flaws, sure.

Absolutely. He was being objective, even if I disagree with his comments.
A lot of people don't bother to read and just look at the score though.

Yup. I dont really like him, but he was spot on with this review

CorvoSol

HOLY COW AT THAT GAMEFAQS IMAGE.

Mostly because noted and beloved troll GZay2Stay was there. The GZay series was something else. I'm gettin' all nostalgic.

Anyway I never cared. 8.8 is good enough for me.

Azriell

I think the reactions are the result of a bit of a perfect storm. Any of the below reasons would have caused plenty of backlash on their own, but when it all came together it was just too much.

First, up until that point Zelda was seen by many as God Tier. With perhaps the exception of Zelda 2 every Zelda was in that "near perfect" range. Zelda 1 is a classic, ALttP a timeless masterpiece, Link's Awakening beloved by all, OoT game of the forever, MM divisive but excellent still, and WW was the game that took the mass of haters who called it "too cartoony" and showed them what excellence was all about. Even while Mario had faltered and been whored out, Zelda remained near flawless.

Second, the Wii itself. Core gamers eventually would accept that the Wii was largely "not for them", but in 2006 that was still a ways off. Core gamers and Nintendo fans were largely the same group (of course this is still true, but I think it would be fair to say the Wii changed this somewhat). People were excited about the potential of the Wii, and were looking to Nintendo to change everything with these amazing new controls. People, in large, would not begin to accept that motion controls may not be so great for some time.

So here you have two things many of us had already accepted as truths: Zelda is always a 9.5+, and the Wii's motion controls are going to be awesome (the millions, dreaming of lightsaber games, sword fighting, FPS, RTS, etc). Then this review comes along and tells everyone that not only is this Zelda not as good as you knew it would be, but that the Wii is the reason why.

How can something that's "boring as shit" be a 7/10? Just because you kept playing in the hopes it would get better? :\

That seems like a messed up scale to me. If I described something as boring as shit, it wouldn't get over a 3. Skyward Sword was so boring/badly designed I didn't get over halfway through it, the first Zelda game I never completed, and I'd give that a 2 probably.

Because it's a decently designed game with great music, great graphics (for the time), and some cool things about it.

It doesn't feel right giving a game a 3/10 when it's as well made as Twilight Princess. I save 3 out of 10s for truly awful games that have no redeeming qualities.

PS. Skyward Sword is my second favorite Zelda game ever. Shit was cash.

So the big deal wasn't the 8.8 (or at least shouldn't have been), it's that Gerstmann was clearly trolling for hits.

Same as GameSpot's Skyward Sword review, the number 7.5 is (should be) irrelevant; it's that he used factually inaccuracies to justify it.

Because it's a decently designed game with great music, great graphics (for the time), and some cool things about it.

It doesn't feel right giving a game a 3/10 when it's as well made as Twilight Princess. I save 3 out of 10s for truly awful games that have no redeeming qualities.

I understand that view, I guess, but it seems weird to do it that way. If I didn't like something, if I thought it was boring or didn't entertain me, I'm going to rate it way low because that represents my time with the game. SS is functional and has lots of good elements, but it's still a shit game I didn't enjoy, so it can enjoy a shit score that reflects that.

That's what I want from reviews, really. Not "Well I didn't enjoy this game, but it's functional and some might, so... 6 or 7 outta 10 I dunno..." I don't like the way a lot of reviewers approach games as a "consumer guide" and not just a reflection of their experience with the game.

PS: TP is one of the best games I've played, but it was ugly one day one. ;) Nice art style doesn't make up for its technical shortcomings. Oooglayy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't remember how I reacted to this. I certainly know it wasn't batshit insane because I still like to joke about the score 8.8 and I derived a lot of humour from the reaction. But I do remember being curious as to why the GCN version scored 8.9 despite the conclusion being that the Wii version is better. Struck me as rather odd.

kadotsu

Banned
I hope we get a Zelda game like TP again. I just want good dungeons and interesting bosses. The connective tissue could use some work and please don't make me collect 8 or 10 beads/tears/seeds of bullshit ever again but in the end dungeons make the Zelda games for me.

in retrospect, that review was way too lenient. TP was a waste of time for anyone who's beaten a Zelda game in the past. not a bad game, but really, really boring for fans of the series.

I actually loved the boat. And I loved Zelda. And Zelda II is the best Zelda out there. It's not even close.

I loved the boat when the wind was blowing the right way. When it wasn't I just got angry.

Wind Waker would be the best Zelda easily if it was 1) finished and 2) didn't have a handful of pacing killers.

fallagin

Yeah, fanboys are the worst. They always shit on reviewers even when they haven't played the game. They remind me of religous zealots.

mantidor

I've always found Gertsman not a good reviewer to be honest, but TP being ported to the wii was a terrible decision anyway, I would have preferred development time being used in roughing the corners of the game instead of tacking on atrocious, actually "waggle", controls.

luokyl

I've always found Gertsman not a good reviewer to be honest, but TP being ported to the wii was a terrible decision anyway, I would have preferred development time being used in roughing the corners of the game instead of tacking on atrocious, actually "waggle", controls.

His reviews for MK vs DC universe (5 stars) and Mortal Kombat (5 stars) on Giantbomb make him really hard to take seriously.

TP on the Wii was a terrible port. The GC version was slightly better. I give TP a lot of shit (teehee), but truth be told it's not a terrible game. I just didn't like it, persoanlly. An 8 is probably the best score I'd give it, but anything lower than that wouldn't be correct.

I'd rate MM and WW 10 and 9, respectively.

I wouldn't give any of the post-N64 Zeldas anything more than a 7/10 now that I think about it.

They all have promising stuff, but equally flawed by some big problems. Wind Waker looked great and had character, but the sailing shit was so boring and killed my interest. Twilight Princess had great dungeons, but crappy motion controls and lame wolf sections. Skyward Sword would've been fantastic if not for the blatant filler and backtracking.

Recently got a 3DS and Zelda: OoT 3D. I'm hoping the game holds up to my memory of it.

Top Bottom