• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exactly six years ago*, GameSpot reviewed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Midou

That's purely a question of taste, it is wholly possible there isn't a single PS3 exclusive they cared about, and they did spend six hundred dollars because Sony and SE told them it would be the only way to play FFXIII.

At the time, the 360 had a considerably better JRPG line up, it was the system of choice for those specific people anyway.

This is why it's silly to buy consoles for one game, and super early at that. PS3 was significantly cheaper by the time the game actually came out too. If they didn't want any other games, why would they have bought one so early?

StuBurns

Banned
This is why it's silly to buy consoles for one game, and super early at that. PS3 was significantly cheaper by the time the game actually came out too. If they didn't want any other games, why would they have bought one so early?
I'm not arguing it was a good idea, just that people who did it were justifiably pissed.

Midou

I'm not arguing it was a good idea, just that people who did it were justifiably pissed.

I disagree, if people fall for hype and spend $600, that was from a lack of self control. It was a scumbag move by Square Enix to announce it as such so early, I can't argue against that, and being pissed at Square Enix is totally justifiable, but jumping the gun and buying the system what ended up being like over 3 years early, is silly.

StuBurns

Banned
I disagree, if people fall for hype and spend $600, that was from a lack of self control. It was a scumbag move by Square Enix to announce it as such so early, I can't argue against that, and being pissed at Square Enix is totally justifiable, but jumping the gun and buying the system what ended up being like over 3 years early, is silly.
So wait, do you agree or not? You said you don't, then you said it's justifiable.

Soul_Pie

He was right about the waggle though, flailing your arms around like a prick is not my idea of fun. Gamecube version 4 life.

I haven't actually haven't read the review fully, I don't tend to read IGN and Gamespot stuff, but that's around about the score I'd give it, if I actually bothered with decimal scores. It's a great game; amazing dungeons and boss fights, some nice areas, a nice art style. But it certainly does have its problems, in fact Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are all guilty of some design elements which I really dislike.

I just can't believe the explosion of hate. I mean 8.8 is a good score. It's mind blowing how people responded to it. Now all these years later and there's all these people who can look at it without all the crazy emotion and hyped attached and they can see the good and the bad.

I often feel like these numbered review scores are more trouble than they're worth. I can still remember the absolute rigmarole that was the Mario Kart Double Dash 7.9 on the IGN boards. People were going off their nut. Mind you none of this was about the inherent stupidity of the IGN review system. Like, what the hell is the difference between and 8.0 and a 7.9?

It's a crazy, crazy industry.

Midou

So wait, do you agree or not? You said you don't, then you said it's justifiable.

I said it's fine to be pissed at Square Enix, but it's their own fault for spending $600 on a system and jumping the gun. Can be mad about lost exclusive, but not about spending $600 when you didn't need to.

StuBurns

Banned
I said it's fine to be pissed at Square Enix, but it's their own fault for spending $600 on a system and jumping the gun. Can be mad about lost exclusive, but not about spending $600 when you didn't need to.
I feel the complete opposite. Losing an exclusive is meaningless compared to having been duped out of cash, even if you had to be a little gullible to allow the duping.

Midou

I feel the complete opposite. Losing an exclusive is meaningless compared to having been duped out of cash, even if you had to be a little gullible to allow the duping.

I just expect in general the number of people who bought a PS3 and didn't want one at $600 just for FFXIII is quite low.

Logic dictates to wait and see if a game is worth spending $660 on, and of course the likelihood of price drop before release and whatever else.

Edit: i.e I want Zelda, I've enjoyed all of them and I will almost surely get it, and it will surely be exclusive, but I'm not going to buy a Wii U until it comes out, for reasons like that.

The staff of Giant Bomb are awesome, especially their video content. Their personalities are unmatched in games journalism.

I've never thought they were good writers though.

just another case of children on the loose. "MOM, someone across the world didn't give a game i like a 10/10, i don't know how i can live from now on".
at least that's pretty unique to the games industry, when big, popular franchises get "bad" reviews, everyone get's pretty mad, we need more 10/10s!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
OOT: 7,5/10
MM: 9/10
WW: 7/10
TP: 7/10
Phantom Hourglass: -10/10
SS: Not yet played
ChuChuTrainZelda: No

No he wasn't. That game was great. I can honestly say it has four or five of the best dungeons in the entire series.

Isn't that exactly what he said though:

kqOPR.jpg

"great" lol

Talon

This sounds like the backlash to every phone hardware review ever.

"I have never touched this phone, but how dare you give it an 8.0, fanboys!

I've been gaming for about 20 years and in that time there hasn't been one single game that I've enjoyed anywhere near as much as Twilight Princess. Its perfect in nearly every single way.

Midou

I've been gaming for about 20 years and in that time there hasn't been one single game that I've enjoyed anywhere near as much as Twilight Princess. Its perfect in nearly every single way.

Long stretches of area without anything in them to get or even to look at is probably my biggest complaint. So easy my 10 year old sister can beat the last boss with the TV off level of difficulty.

Otherwise it's my favorite Zelda.

Scrabble

I still remember people were pissed at Greg Kassavin for giving Halo 2 a 9.4. A fuckin 9.4 and people without even playing it thought it was too low.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't agree with him (I think it's a fantastic game, I would have rated it above 9), but of course complaining about it is stupid. Of course something like this can happen again and actually to a smaller degree is happening again sometimes.

Denzar

The staff of Giant Bomb are awesome, especially their video content. Their personalities are unmatched in games journalism.

I've never thought they were good writers though.

That is what sets them apart from other outlets of the enthusiast gaming press IMO. Their site is personality driven, and that gives them and the website a face. For better or for worse.

I find them to be good writers too, even though I do not always agree with them. Jeff can come across as jaded from time to time, but seeing what he's been through during his career as video game journo, I think I'd be jaded too.

LakeEarth

I must say that I was one of those people with pitchforks, ready to ritualistically burn a Jeff-igy, so to speak. I loved TP, but his review was completely correct. Great game, with some antiquated, and a few bad design decisions.

Top Bottom