• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exactly six years ago*, GameSpot reviewed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

This is what we were talking about in the other thread. Nintendo fans are the worst. Its just one fucking review, Jesus Christ. Also Gears 1 was an amazing game and for its time wasn't generic at all, unlike the 15th Zelda game.

Been here since 2005, you can do a post history, I wasn't part of the backlash, so you can save all that "Nintendo fans are the worst" "it's just one fucking review, Jesus Christ" bullshit. Jeff's review was horseshit, didn't deserve the backlash, but then again, who cares what a bunch of people on some random website reviews a game.

What's hilarious is you bashing TP and praising Gears of War of all things in the same sentence. Irony.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just watched the review and holy shit people blew this WAY out of proportion.

He made a lot of solid points.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but personally, collecting those bugs as a wolf was a complete chore and I despised doing it every time I had to.

abasm

An 8.8, rounded down, is four out of five stars. A game that isn't perfect, but is better than average. I think that's a fair way to describe Twilight Princess.

Thanks OP,
I had forgotten the personal slurs against Jeff for this.

I remember this thou. But I was never hostile or angry, just confused. Then I played the game myself and understood. I was very bored within the first 10 hours, and never felt happy with the motion controls. I remember being bothered by the lack of VA.

I've seen some pretty bad first posts, but this takes the fucking cake.

Agree. Great topic, something to reflect on, and then the first post doesn't derail it, it's just so unbelievable stupid.

simtmb

I didn't like the game too much honestly. The reaction was shocking especially since 8.8 is an excellent score.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I remember the backlash all too well. Was in High school and back then I was very active on the Nitnendo Nsider forums, and no one took this lightly. But in retrospect, how could they? It seemed at the time, everything was riding on this game. The debut of the wii. The return of a modern looking Link (as opposed to toon Link). Motion control gaming in general.

I remember just sitting back and laughing at the reaction, especially because 8.8 is a GREAT score. At that point, I was embarrassed to be called a Zelda fan, to be lumped in the same group as those people who are so willing to judge someone's opinion on a game they have never played. A number wasn't going to affect my enjoyment of the game.

Bonus points for them giving the gamecube version an 8.9 (this was like a week or two after the wii review), because of the sound was better? I could heir the veins of livid fans all across the world. This is the event I will tell my grandkids about.

NSider

There was a huge overreaction, and nothing justifies it really. You might show your distaste for an opinion in many ways, but what happened that day from a very vocal minority was unbelievably childish and stupid.

My main disagreement with the review was that it considered a game series that only comes for consoles about once every 4-5 years to be too tired and formulaic. I strongly disagreed with that, mainly because there aren't really that many games that scratch that Zelda itch, and after I played TP I thought that it evolved very well from its predecessors, and it was much more polished than Wind Waker. In retrospect, WW may have deserved an 8.8 or even lower, even though I love the shit out of that game, it was clearly rushed and it had some major flaws.

That said, I think TP's score was still great (it says so right there under the big number), and it suited what he said in his review, and for the most part he praised the game very highly and had many complaints that I agree with.

I think Jeff's Majora's Mask 8.3 review was a bigger mistake. And his 8.5 for Metal Gear Solid was an even bigger one.

leroidys

I think the score is fair. It's in my top tier of Zelda games mainly just for the incredible dungeons, but the wolf parts are shit, the first 3 hours are terrible, the graphics suck, and the cities are an abomination.

Zelda just hasn't been a "10" series since the SNES. Every single 3D game has glaring flaws (yes, even that game), but I still love them.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
So, wow. There hasn't been a review backlash like it since.

A few questions:

1. What the Hell was that all about? Zelda games have come and gone since, so have heavily anticipated games and launch titles, but nothing has exploded quite with the same rage and venom. Can this ever happen again?

2. In retrospect, I generally agree with Jeff's review. The backlash looks all the more absurd. Anyone else feel like this?

That's why I've said before that reader pressure distorts reviews just as much as talking to PR potentially does.

Izick

Gamers are a hateful, spiteful, conspiratorial bunch, typically.

Very true.

A lot of people with pent up anger from real life as well most likely. I'm guessing a lot of:

ax9rD.jpg

People who live or die on this stuff, and take it more personally than developers.

Izick

Gerstmann definitely comes from the Greg Kasavin school of reviewing games. I may not always agree with them but I appreciate somebody out there is always prepped to polish a AAA release' knob.

Now Kasavin's Chaos Theory review... that's a fucking travesty ;)
http://www.gamespot.com/tom-clancys...ys-splinter-cell-chaos-theory-review-6121161/

Probably the best stealth game of all time, but I completely see his point of view in that review. I also like how high 8's are the most controversial scores last generation. Kind of telling of current events; people would rather receive false praise and scores instead of listening to people's honest to goodness opinions and criticisms.

I think the biggest meltdown over TP was Matt Casamassina saying the other IGN editors don't play Nintendo games and that's why TP never won GOTY.

Wunder

Haha there are some GAF posters in that thread that still regularly post here as ardent GiantBomb fans. Hilariousss

Nert

Thanks for the OP. As someone that participated in the recent games journalism/Doritos thread and as someone that wants to see games writers push for higher professional standards, I also think that it's important for the "gaming community" to hold itself to higher standards. The kind of widespread, childish meltdowns that have happened over situations like this or an 8.0 for Uncharted 3 or Bayonetta 2 being released on the Wii U (instead of not being released at all) really need to stop.

Izick

Thanks for the OP. As someone that participated in the recent games journalism/Doritos thread and as someone that wants to see games writers push for higher professional standards, I also think that it's important for the "gaming community" to hold itself to higher standards. The kind of widespread, childish meltdowns that have happened over situations like this or an 8.0 for Uncharted 3 or Bayonetta 2 being released on the Wii U (instead of not being released at all) really need to stop.

I really agree with your sentiment, but it's hard to try and stop people from acting like fools over the internet, especially when they have nothing to lose. There's nobody really to even be held accountable, since real names are almost never used, and people use the guise of anonymity to spew any amount of venomous bile they see fit because they know there's no real repercussions to be had.

faridmon

To e fair, Jeff does have some sort of negative opinon about the Wii and Zelda in Genral. However, I do think his score was right.

FreeMufasa

Damn! This was an Internet wide thing???

Lol I thought it was just us at gamespot. Yeah we were tearing shit up and rampaging :lol

Jawmuncher

Gotta say I think Zelda fans went overboard on that score.
Hell 8.8 was pretty generous especially for the wii version, that wiimote got old real quick.

Izick

I think at the end of the day, we can all sit down, look back on the time and agree that Guitar Hero II was pretty rad.

Just wanna say thank you for bring it all back to me. All that gamefaq rage was one of the best things to ever happen on the internet

flattie

I think I sunk most of my time in this game on the fishing boat. Loved that area - so tranquil and atmospheric, with fairly nice use of the wii controls.

IrishNinja

the irony of posting this in some of the WU meltdown threads, heh

honestly having played both the Wii and GC one now, years later...it's a pretty fair review. i know we had fanboy hyperbole long before this, but it's as good a symbol as any.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Zelda fans are like COD fans, they are delusional fanboys that go beserk when you don't give their game a 10/10.
Wow. Insulting two fanbases in one post. Go you?

Alternative response: I'm not a cod, I'm a haddock.

He was right. Twilight Princess was a thoroughly average Zelda game.
If it was an average Zelda game shouldn't it have received 90%+ fufufufufu

An 8.8, rounded down
What school of maths did you go to? .5 and above is rounded UP!

The Wii controls did feel tacked on though lol
Yeah, but the Wiimote+nunchuck combo is such a chill controller I didn't care. Lay back, arms anyway you like and you just swish swish swish.

But TSA (or whatever name he goes by now) will punch me in the face for being wrong and tell me that I'm playing a gimped version because I can't backflip off the horse.

Odrion

Banned
If it was an average Zelda game shouldn't it have received 90%+ fufufufufu
So this prolonged frustration is over a 0.2 difference?
It could be in the long run. Do you remember every 8.8 game from the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era?
You mean 8.8 from my perspective? Of course. Because a 8.8 is a very good game.

Camisado

It's still crazy to me that some people live in a world where 8.8 out of 10 is considered a bad score, they basically live or die between 9.0-10 and it's pretty sad.

The way the industry has already gone anything under an 8 is generally considered to be not great but really that score should be much lower, really an average game should be getting 5's while a great game should be getting closer to 8-9.

Nothing should be getting 10's except for games that are perfect, and that isn't something that comes along very often.

Izick

So this prolonged frustration is over a 0.2 difference?

You mean 8.8 from my perspective? Of course. Because a 8.8 is a very good game.

I don't really grade games numerically in my head, especially not to a tenth of a point scale, but I'm talking more about general games that receive high 8's from various places.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
He wasn't saying that .8 rounded goes down, he said an 8.8 rounded down (to 8) on the 5 point scale is a four.

But surely the argument should be, 8.8 is rounded up to 9 which is 4.5/5 and thus rounded up to 5/5 and thus GS didn't give TP a bad score, but quite the opposite in fact.

Odrion

Banned
I don't really grade games numerically in my head, especially not to a tenth of a point scale, but I'm talking more about general games that receive high 8's from various places.
But what does that mean? Do games that average in the 8s that I only know through reviews are forgettable? Do games that I play and, and agree with reviewers on their 8ness are forgettable?

Izick

But surely the argument should be, 8.8 is rounded up to 9 which is 4.5/5 and thus rounded up to 5/5 and thus GS didn't give TP a bad score, but quite the opposite in fact.

He said rounded down. He didn't say just 'rounded'.

But what does that mean? Do games that average in the 8s that I only know through reviews are forgettable? Do games that I play and, and agree with reviewers on their 8ess are forgettable?

Yes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You should recognize sarcasm, but you only have one eye. :(
It must be too early in the morning because I don't see anything sarcastic about his comment even when you have pointed it out.

He said rounded down. He didn't say just 'rounded'.
And I'm just saying that not breaking the laws of maths would help the argument more because people going batshit over a 5/5 score makes them look even worse. Geeze.

Top Bottom