• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exactly six years ago*, GameSpot reviewed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

HylianTom

Banned
I never blew-up over the review, but remember smiling at those who did.

I also remember when Nintendo fans took core gaming media outlets seriously. What a funny time period..

Orayn

Six years, huh? I never really thought the score of 8.8 was a scandal, but over the years I've actually come to agree with Big Jeffrey. Twilight Princess was great, but it had some issues with filler and wonky pacing.

neoemonk

I just finished Twilight Princess last night for the first time. I don't know what score I'd give it, but I will say I almost didn't finish the game. I hated the tear collecting portion, and pretty much any time I was forced to be a wolf.

There was a thread here not to long ago about greatest dungeons in the Zelda series, and if I hadn't seen some of the TP dungeons in that thread I wouldn't have completed it.

That being said, I'm really glad I did because I enjoyed the second half of the game. Roughly corresponding with when I got the ability to shape shift at will.

HylianTom

Banned
I just finished Twilight Princess last night for the first time. I don't know what score I'd give it, but I will say I almost didn't finish the game. I hated the tear collecting portion, and pretty much any time I was forced to be a wolf.

There was a thread here not to long ago about greatest dungeons in the Zelda series, and if I hadn't seen some of the TP dungeons in that thread I wouldn't have completed it.

That being said, I'm really glad I did because I enjoyed the second half of the game. Roughly corresponding with when I got the ability to shape shift at will.
That duel-hookshot dungeon was a thing of Zelda gaming bliss. And that boss!

sphinx

the piano man

even as someone who is fond if this game and has learned to like it, I gotta admit that I (I think most of us) go play TP mainly for the dungeons.

the locales are nice, I remember lake Hylia being nice and the desert too but they are rather empty and not very interesting to travel through.

in that sense I think I like SS a bit more.

Mit-

Was a more than valid score. Instead of being enraged back then it actually made me a bit more skeptical. After finishing it on Wii back then I wouldn't have given it any higher of a score.

The waggle really did get to me. It was so bad for sword swings. Being forced to rapidly shake my wrist just to wander through bushes looking for money was atrocious. After you got lazy enough and broke it down to the core functionality (briefly waggling up and down or left and right) it became tired. I wanted nothing more than to just hit a B-button instead. The only good part about the Wii version was the widescreen support.

I more recently played through the Gamecube version and was far more pleased with it. Left-handed Link, and a single button for sword attacks. I really wondered why I was so displeased with it in the past, and in retrospect it must have been those tacked on waggle controls.

CorvoSol

I didn't mind the Wolf segments of Twilight Princess, but I can see why someone would. I still really like it, though. Stuff like Snowpeak Manor or Hyrule Castle made it so much fun.

And I love the character designs. Even though Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda, Twilight Princess' artwork and its character designs are my favorite in the series.

leroidys

Was a more than valid score. Instead of being enraged back then it actually made me a bit more skeptical. After finishing it on Wii back then I wouldn't have given it any higher of a score.

The waggle really did get to me. It was so bad for sword swings. Being forced to rapidly shake my wrist just to wander through bushes looking for money was atrocious. After you got lazy enough and broke it down to the core functionality (briefly waggling up and down or left and right) it became tired. I wanted nothing more than to just hit a B-button instead. The only good part about the Wii version was the widescreen support.

I more recently played through the Gamecube version and was far more pleased with it. Left-handed Link, and a single button for sword attacks. I really wondered why I was so displeased with it in the past, and in retrospect it must have been those tacked on waggle controls.

It's a shame that originally when the game was in development for wii and Miyamoto was asked if the wiimote would be used for sword swings he was all "lolno", but then changed his mind.

It did blow my mind at the time since it was so novel, but it does make replaying it really annoying these days. The IR aiming is still fantastic though, unlike SS.

Bedlam

I love that people are still flipping their shit over this.

Also, I couldn't bring myself to finish that game. I was so f*cking sick of it towards the end. I hated playing as a wolf and that game's version of Hyrule was probably the most boring overworld I've witnessed in any game.

I remember when this review hit at the the time. I frequented NGG and LUE over at GameFAQs pretty regularly, and man it was a total shitstorm. I had fun poking at the "drones" at the time for getting so riled up though
3AQmK.gif

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. I mean, NeoGaf is generally pretty inside baseball, but an anniversary thread for a...review? This is what we're doing now?

It was a huge deal when it hit, and it's still relevant to modern video game journalism.

LTWood12

Not that I was into review scores before TP, but this score really highlighted the absurdity of review scores in general.

In hindsight, the reasons for docking Twilight Princess for trivial, frivolous matters were beyond silly; the game is, and was, amazing in nearly all respects. In a world where derivative trash like Gears of War and CoD routinely get perfect scores, the backlash to the review wasn't all that hard to see or understand.

On the other hand, games journalism lol.

Your post isn't based on reality. To say the 'Call of Duty/Gears of War/Dude-Bro argument' has gotten old would be putting it lightly. I found this site called metacritic you might not have heard of. You should check it out.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/gears-of-war-3

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Wow. I mean, NeoGaf is generally pretty inside baseball, but an anniversary thread for a...review? This is what we're doing now?

when did everyone start using the expression "inside baseball" in reference to games? Not a fan.

And I think the thread has more to do with the launch of the Wii U than anything else. TP was the Wii's flagship Day One title. The backlash was (as we can all see) ridiculous and laughable

solarus

Too high, game deserves 8.0. Maybe 8.5 if I'm feeling generous. Wind waker, OoT and majora's mask were all superior. Have not finished skyward sword yet so cannot comment on that.

Maffis

If I had a 9.0 game and a 8.8 game right next to eachother, and played them both unknowing of their respective scores, I sure as hell wouldn't notice a difference in quality. So I do not understand what all the fuzz was about. 8.8 is hardly worth crying over. 0.2 from 9... It can be taken the other way around too. Why didn't Jeff just give the game 9 to avoid upsetting the fanbase? I mean, it's so trivial.

Zelda games suck anyway. 8.8 for TP is like giving Superman 64 a 10/10. TP sucked hard. Just another generic Zelda game with the same basic formula and a boring implementation of motion controls. It didn't even have its own personality, totally stole from Majora's Mask, which any true Zelda fan should know is the best Zelda, not like the overrated OoT. MM had Skull Kid, the most well-written antagonist ever, and the three day mechanic was so pressuring and cool and deep. Zelda games are all bland and repetitive nowadays and need to move on. What I think needs to happen is they add a great new multiplayer mode with an RPG progress system where you unlock different perks and guns for your loadouts. And when you reach max level, you should be able to prestige. I also think Zelda needs some difficulty levels, like Veteran, and maybe a survival mode where swarms of ReDead come from all over.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
If I had a 9.0 game and a 8.8 game right next to eachother, and played them both unknowing of their respective scores, I sure as hell wouldn't notice a difference in quality. So I do not understand what all the fuzz was about. 8.8 is hardly worth crying over. 0.2 from 9... It can be taken the other way around too. Why didn't Jeff just give the game 9 to avoid upsetting the fanbase? I mean, it's so trivial.

Well then I'm sorry but this forum is for Hardcore Gamers Only

I was like 15 when this happened and frequented GameFAQs, even back then I couldn't figure out what all the noise was about since 8.8 was still a pretty high score. But I guess I just wasn't totally familiar with the industry, forum-goers and especially Zelda fans.

I wasn't aware just how bananas this got though, never saw all those photoshops and threats and total meltdowns. I can really see now why Jeff pays so little attention when the internet is freaking out about something nowadays.

Sulik2

This thread made me think of the CGW radio where they read comments from people about Halo 2's scores fulfilling their lives. People take games way too seriously. 8.8 is still a great score.

I put 7 hours into this game and quit almost exactly 5 years ago. I decided to pick it back up and I just finished the game last night after putting 55 hours into it and 8.8 for the Game Cube version is a fair score, imo.

I hated the dark world portions. I hated being stuck as a dog. I hated the confusing drawn out mess that was the inbetween dungeon game. The music was not memorable at all.

But once you are able to switch between the dog and human forms at will, the game became a lot more fun for me. The graphics are great, even to someone who has been used to PS360 HD graphics for the last 7 years now.

Controls were good for the most part. Story was simple and easy to follow. Characters were strange but I didn't hate any of them. The world was small but very, very dense and packed with stuff.

The game was good towards the end, I had a good time playing it.

Lothar

Banned
The outrage should have been over that it received such a high score. The fact that it was pretty much a rehash of OoT and totally lacked the originality of the previous Zelda game (Wind Waker) objectively should have put it's max score no higher than 8.0. It's a conceptionally lazy game.

Then there's the long tedious tutorial, no challenge whatsoever, very little exploration involved in the overworld, boring parts where you're a wolf and have to collect bugs, unmemorable music, and the added emphasis on cutscenes. It just wasn't that great.

leroidys

The outrage should have been over that it received such a high score. The fact that it was pretty much a rehash of OoT and totally lacked the originality of the previous Zelda game (Wind Waker) objectively should have put it's max score no higher than 8.0. It's a conceptionally lazy game.

Then there's the long tedious tutorial, no challenge whatsoever, very little exploration involved in the overworld, boring parts where you're a wolf and have to collect bugs, unmemorable music, and the added emphasis on cutscenes. It just wasn't that great.

Come on man, what the fuck does that even mean? How is it a rehash of OoT? Because it has dungeons and weapons? Wut?

Neff

The Legend of Zelda - 8/10
Adventure of Link - 9/10
Link to the Past - ∞/10
Link's Awakening - 10/10
Ocarina of Time - 9/10
Majora's Mask - hardly played it, don't really like it
Oracle of Ages/Seasons - 7/10
Wind Waker - 7/10
Minish Cap - 8/10
Twilight Princess - 9/10
Phantom Hourglass - never played it
Spirit Tracks - 6/10
Skyward Sword - 8/10

For what it's worth, I thought Gerstmann's review was fair at the time and still do.

HOWEVER

When you're speaking with the benefit of hindsight, I do feel you need to realize these were different times. All the (somewhat good) major console exclusives in those times got between a 9.4 and a 10. Every single one. Doesn't matter if the reviewer hated it, this was something that was expected to be done. Gerstmann's 8.8 did feel like a break of form, and for someone to do that, you felt it had to be personal somehow. Not trying to argue in favor of the vitriol, just trying to add perspective. The gaming world at that point suddenly started growing up, which made a lot of teens very angsty.
That's a good point. Scores are always relative. It would be interesting to see which games from the same era received better scores (from Gamespot, and from Jeff Gerstmann in particular) than TP and how these games are perceived in retrospect.

Red UFO

8.8 - Great

He was exactly right, it's a great game.

The real problem here is outlets like IGN operating on a scale that seemingly only slides from 7 to 10.

neoemonk

That duel-hookshot dungeon was a thing of Zelda gaming bliss. And that boss!

I died to that boss, because i am stupid. After I got the Zora's clothes i wore them constantly. I didn't get the Magic Armor until after the Palace of Twilight. That was when I noticed the description on the item selection screen that said the Zora clothes made you weak to ice and fire. I wore them through the entire ice dungeon and got one shot by the boss of the Sky City the first time I fought him.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Some of those posts wow.
Such a shame. If it were a 9.0, I would've totally bought it.

At 8.9, I'd have considered it.

8.8? NO F*CKIN' WAY.

SUCH BULLSHIT. F*CK YOU JEFF GERSTMANN. GOD.

MOTHERFLIPPIN DECIMAL RAGE

andthebeatgoeson

This was around the time I realized that gaf is better at reviewing games for me as a collective bunch. I don't care about the score or Jeff but the entire system has ignored core bias issues. When Halo 1 can be severely flawed (level design) and get a 10, generate a ton of excitement from reviewers who are more than willing to overlook problems, there is a bias. Then they completely overlook the inherent flaws of having to rely on publisher's ads for income.

If I wanted bias and good commentary, I have Gaf. Thank you gaf for games like Batman: Arkham series, advance wars, etc. All games I want following that you recommended.

andthebeatgoeson

The Legend of Zelda - 8/10
Adventure of Link - 9/10
Link to the Past - ∞/10
Link's Awakening - 10/10
Ocarina of Time - 9/10
Majora's Mask - hardly played it, don't really like it
Oracle of Ages/Seasons - 7/10
Wind Waker - 7/10
Minish Cap - 8/10
Twilight Princess - 9/10
Phantom Hourglass - never played it
Spirit Tracks - 6/10
Skyward Sword - 8/10

For what it's worth, I thought Gerstmann's review was fair at the time and still do.
I'm not sure how to respond to ur Oracle reviews. Can I ask your boss to fire you?

-Minsc-

I can't comment on the review as I've never played TP. Twenty years from now it'll be like people today looking back at old Usenet posts. They'll be shaking their heads at themselves.

8.8 is a really good score. It rounds to 9, my goodness!

Haha, this is true. It's amazing how mush of a sh*tstorm that .2 deduction from being a 9 caused. I've played through Twighlight Princess on the Wii, 8.8 seems like a pretty fair score to me. I think Gertsmann was right on the money here, technically it is a sound game with a typical Nintendo quality production. But it didn't really do anything out of the extraordinary for a Zelda title that would warrant giving it a perfect 10 or a high 9.

I'm so glad I could never get into this series after it went 3D. Watching review drama unfold over games I haven't even been thinking about makes for a mildly amusing way to wake up in the morning over coffee.

Top Bottom