• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exremely slow PS4 download speed

fantomena

So for the last week or two or so (feels like after update 2.0) my PS4 has been receiving horrible download speed. Like, really horrible. My connection is max 400 kbps, it was over 1 MB/s before.

It feels like it happened after update 2.0, but Im not entirely sure. I have not changed anything in the network settings anything than adding an Xbox One to my console collection.

An comparison:

It took Steam less than 2 hours to download CoD: AW which is a bit over 40 GB.
It took the Xbox One about 6-7 hours to download Halo MCC.

Had the exact same issues as you whereas before 2.0 I thought it was actually quite fast

I've got 50mbps downstream and it took like 9 hours to download 7 gigs. Ridiculous

EagleEyes

Yep i'm getting extremely slow speeds as well. My X1 sits right next to my PS4 and I did the test for both and my X1 was getting 39 mbps and my PS4 was getting 4 mbps. I'm on a 50 mbps internet connection btw.

Hoarr

Neo Member
Just bought a PS4 -- any advice regarding current batch of updates? Should I avoid it for now? Did 2.0 really mess things up that bad??

RdN

Join the club. Seems to be a very common issue.

I'm on a 60MB connection and I get horrendous download speeds from PSN. It must be something with the way my ISP connects and routes traffic to the PSN servers, but it's extremely disappointing nonetheless, specially when I have great download speeds from the XBO and on PC.

Edit: Everything is wired, btw.

I have noticed it myself-

according to my PS4 I get 30.9mb down and 3mb up, when a few weeks ago was getting 48mb down and 10mb up

this is what my PC says I should be getting
3888981718.png

erawsd

My PS4 has always had a similar issue of being really slow over wireless. I don't think its my network since I have no issues with any other wireless device. Even the $10 wireless dongle I bought for my receiver gets better speed than the PS4.

Yoday

Yep, its been awful since 2.0. The speeds jump between what I would have normally gotten down to 400kbps for extended periods, and then back up to normal. My download times have easily doubled or more depending on how often it drops down to 400kbps. Smaller 100MB patches take about ten times longer now.

Vire

Same problem, I downloaded Destiny in about an hour before 2.0 and Call of Duty AW took about 10 hours to download fully.

Hanmik

PS4 has always been fast to me.. especially if I compare it to PS3. Took me an hour or so to download COD:AW.. but the new FW.2.01 which I downloaded last night was 217mb and that took 10 minutes.. which is strange.. 2.00 took a minute or two.. hmmm

Mikey Jr.

Wtf.

Same issue too. Before 2.0 I was downloading at 4mbps. Now it's hovers. I'll get 4mbps for half a minute, then it'll drop down to 500kbps for a few minute, rinse and repeat.

Not sure what is going on.

Zaku

I'm on v2.01 now, didn't notice any issues last night. Steamworld Dig and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth both downloaded really quickly.

Only issue was waking up from rest, which was resolved by unplugging the console completely and plugging it back in.

vypek

My PS4 has been great aince using powerline adapters/honeplugs. Download speed is around 30 something for the PS4 and my network is supposed 50. Resetting router doesnt help you?

rothbart

XBOne usually only downloads stuff that's 900p, of course it's faster.
/s

Upcoming PS+ Gold (Now with faster downloads!)

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Yeah, it got worse for me in the past weeks. It was already slow on PS3, but never that bad.

Takes forever to download anything. Typically, it will download as fast as my connection can for 10ish seconds if that, then slow to a crawl for minutes, then eventually starts up again, and so on. When i bought the PS4, it was maxing my connection easily, i was surprised, but that didn't last.

Qwell

It could just be congestion on your ISP, or the particular server you hit during that download period. I've had PS3 since launch and same with the PS4, at the beginning the speeds weren't the best, maybe 1MB/s around the launch of PS3, but since then its only gotten faster and faster. With PS4 CoD AW I just downloaded it launch night and I was playing it about 2 hours after starting the download. Probably could have started it earlier, but I was playing Destiny.

Just last night I downloaded the PS3 version of CoD AW ... thanks cross buy ... and it was about 60% finished after finishing my Sons of Anarchy episode that is 1h5m. Of course I have a good Comcast connection in the Pacific NW, so our loop density is pretty small, even being a suburb of Portland.

iceatcs

It slow likely because high demand all the time especially PS4 had sold much more than Sony's expectation.

Hopefully by next year, everything will ease when new servers coming in or catching up.

Yoday

Wifi or wired? With the amount of data being pushed to today's consoles, I have gone wired.
It doesn't matter, I am on wired and it went from amazing to awful with 2.0. It honestly feels like the download speeds are being throttled.

gruenel

Just bought a PS4 -- any advice regarding current batch of updates? Should I avoid it for now? Did 2.0 really mess things up that bad??

2.01 is out and works fine.

I doubt download speeds are related to firmware issues, it's more likely that Sony's servers are the culprit once again.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Both my PS3 and PS4 have had absolutely shit transfer rates over wifi. I've moved three times which totaled 3 different ISPs and 4 different routers. Nothing ever changed.

My iPhone, PC through wireless, and 360 all had blazingly fast speeds that maxxed out my connection in all three different locations and on all different routers.

Playstation wifi is an absolute joke.

If I direct wire either of my Playstation consoles, I get fantastic rates.

I have noticed it myself-

according to my PS4 I get 30.9mb down and 3mb up, when a few weeks ago was getting 48mb down and 10mb up

this is what my PC says I should be getting
3888981718.png

My PS4 says I'm getting 25 down (wired) but there's no way. It took between 10-15 minutes for Binding of Isaac to download.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Right, so it's not just me then. I wasn't sure whether it had something to do with my provider, the new firmware of Sony tinkering with the servers. I get a sporadic connection now: sometimes it's fast and then sometimes it's sluggish. It was consistent before.

Jolkien

My rest mode was glitched with 2.0 but I found a workaround wich makes it works fine again. I did not notice any slower download since the patch but I always had a lot slower connection on PSN than I'm supposed to be getting.

Wired even pre-patch I was getting around 40 Mbits when in reality that's what I'm supposed to be getting:

spwolf

It slow likely because high demand all the time especially PS4 had sold much more than Sony's expectation.

Hopefully by next year, everything will ease when new servers coming in or catching up.

Downloads are not hosted on Sony PSN servers, but on their CDN partner which is Akamai on PS4 and Amazon S3 on PS3 (slower).

So it has nothing to do with firmware.

Prologue

I always got faster speeds with X1. I get +150 mbps through the network tool on x1. Usually +50mbps on ps4.

Wire of course.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Just tried to download something, 2.65gb, going steady, 81minutes left. Thanks Sony!

I downloaded some video off giantbomb 2.8gb, it took less than 3minutes.

Yoday

I'm honestly starting to wonder if it could be ISP's (I'm using Comcast) starting to throttle PSN to force Sony to pay up. There is a history of them doing this with streaming companies, and Sony's network usage has probably gone through the roof with all of the streaming, remote play, and more people buying digitally. I honestly can't think of anything other than some form of throttling. I mean you can watch it happen if you watch the download bar. I will start at around 400Kbps for the first minute or so, and then instantly jump up to my normal speed of around 6MB/s for a little while, and then out of nowhere it will drop right back down to 400Kbps for another minute or two. It's a continuous cycle that doesn't make any sense.

BrrnugT

I had the same problem a while back, what I did to fix it was hold the power in until it boots to the system menu, then update the PS4 from there. Haven't had a problem since

Never have a problem with my download speed using wifi including all my PS3 days.

Then again until five months ago I only had 5 meg Internet speed. My 20 feels like lightning. :(

Einbroch

Banned
The Wifi on Playstation consoles has been atrocious. Was bad on the PS3, it's bad on the PS4.

Plug it in biiiiiish.

Top Bottom