• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exremely slow PS4 download speed

The Wifi on Playstation consoles has been atrocious. Was bad on the PS3, it's bad on the PS4.

Plug it in biiiiiish.
It really is, it's pitiful that the wifi in my iPad and iPhone are way better than a dedicated gaming system. The least Sony could've done is put in wireless n. An Ethernet cable isn't viable for me.

Before 2.0 downloads were faster.

Mr Moose

I don't buy games digitally, but the PS+ games and updates have always been fast for my PS4 (wired).

I'll test it now with the new PS+ games.

Edit: Started downloading Binding of Isaac, started slow for about a minute then went fast.

Yoday

This has nothing to do with WiFi guys. It has nothing to do with the connection, any settings, or the speed of someones internet.

The Argus

My PS4 on WiFi downloads at a blazing 600KBps. Wired about 2-4MB, my computer (depending on the server) up to 12. I have full bars of reception, I guess Sony cheaped out on the adapter. Hope preload for GTAV starts at least a few days early.

Harp

Prior to 2.0 I have gotten fast downloads. I have only downloaded how to survive since 2.0. It only 3 gigs and to 75 mins. I could down load about 10 gigs in 30 mins prior to the patch.

le-seb

I doubt download speeds are related to firmware issues, it's more likely that Sony's servers are the culprit once again.
Yup, it's because they had to convert tens of thousands regular PSN file servers into DriveClub game servers, so that they can handle the future PS+ edition.
j/k

Had the same problem yesterday. The downloading was going fine and then suddenly it stops and it tells me that it will take hours to finish it and it is normal again if I reconnect. Ugh.
This happened during 2.0 and I was trying to download two games and 2.01.

FireCloud

I've noticed that download speeds seem much slower recently. I wonder if Sony dialed back their bandwidth allowed for downloads to alleviate some of the network issues they've been having; such as Drive Club issues, PSN outages, etc?

The PS4 has very shitty WiFi. I have a 105 MB/s connection and only get 10 MB/s tops. Sucks for people like me who can't get a wired connection

klier

My PS4 has been slow in downloading since day one. Connected with a LAN cable, yet my wireless Xbone is twice as fast.

Stupid.

Hugstable

Banned
My PS4 usually downloads pretty fast now surprisingly, much better than the download speeds ever were on my Vita and PS3. I was able to download and play Advanced Warfare within like an hour and half.

EDIT: Whoops I forgot I'm directly connected so I don't really count -____-. The speeds from when I do download from Wifi aren't all too bad, but my wifi Range in my house sucks ass so my ps4 usually now stays in my room connected to LAN.

Yeah my downloads used to be pretty fast on PSN. For some reason, it took me 4 hours to download the 7GB multiplayer portion of COD. I usually download at about 2.6 megabytes/second.

Weird. Sounds like my speeds during the PS3 days.

I've been relatively lucky then on PS4. I download the 7GB of Lego Marvel last night and it only took about 20 minutes. I'm wireless too.

Yoday

Yeah my downloads used to be pretty fast on PSN. For some reason, it took me 4 hours to download the 7GB multiplayer portion of COD. I usually download at about 2.6 megabytes/second.
Try to download something and watch the download bar. If you are having the same issue as some of us you will see your speeds start slow, get back to normal, and then drop back down occasionally.

MercuryLS

Banned
I can't recommend wall plug ethernet thingy's enough, you get nearly wired speeds. The difference is night and day for downloads and online MP.

Haxxona

Banned
My 250/200 straight line connected to a AC Asus router with a direct connection to my Xperia and laptop(both AC), Vita and a wired connection to the ps4 gives me these results:
Laptop(7m way): 245/189
Xperia Z2: 205/189
Vita(Absolutely no difference if I sit right beside my Router): Absolute max is 16/8 and average is around13/5
PS4: Absolute max I have had is 56/32 and on average it sits on a 40/15

This is all in Sweden
So either ps4 and vita has the worst internet adapters in the world of devices or PSN just

Spaulding

I had the same problem after 2.0. It persisted even after 2.01. After I restarted my modem and router the problem was gone. Might be a coincidence though.

Also have the same problem , really weird
We need more stability , Shu please

Glad it was just a small game and not a big game (GB) I was downloading , would have been sweatn'

Yoday

I had the same problem after 2.0. It persisted even after 2.01. After I restarted my modem and router the problem was gone. Might be a coincidence though.
Could be. I've reset my modem, router, updated my routers firmware, and I even tried WiFi. I have tried everything that I can think of, and it is still happening every single time.

actually i give credit to COD breaking the psn right now but it is weird, sometimes it download stuff using all my bandwidth sometimes it doesnt . though i think lately is my ISP failing me

Reallink

With over 100Mbps, my PS4 hardwired and DMZ'ed, and no other devices in the house pulling data, I get 200-400kbps on PS4. This is not a Wifi issue, it's a regional server or interconnect issue. I have never seen PSN run above 3-5 MBps (which is its rare best days), but Steam will easily pull over 12MBps.

Yep, its been awful since 2.0. The speeds jump between what I would have normally gotten down to 400kbps for extended periods, and then back up to normal. My download times have easily doubled or more depending on how often it drops down to 400kbps. Smaller 100MB patches take about ten times longer now.

Wtf.

Same issue too. Before 2.0 I was downloading at 4mbps. Now it's hovers. I'll get 4mbps for half a minute, then it'll drop down to 500kbps for a few minute, rinse and repeat.

Not sure what is going on.

Same here. Everything downloaded fine on my wired PS4 until update 2.0. I would always get a solid 5-10 MB/s. Then immediately after updating to 2.0, my dl speed began to have wild fluctuations. The speeds will be normal for 30 seconds, then drop to just a few hundred kbps for several minutes. That increase/decrease pattern lasts for the entire download.

I literally noticed this for the first time just a few minutes after updating the OS last week, so I'm thoroughly convinced that's what is driving the problem.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Try different DNS connections....works for me.
And PS4 wifi sucks....

I can't recommend wall plug ethernet thingy's enough, you get nearly wired speeds. The difference is night and day for downloads and online MP.

This. Powerline home networking is the way to go if running cables from ps4 to your router is an issue. I bought my ps4 day of release and to this day download speeds have not let me down once.

Yoday

Same here. Everything downloaded fine on my wired PS4 until update 2.0. I would always get a solid 5-10 MB/s. Then immediately after updating to 2.0, my dl speed began to have wild fluctuations. The speeds will be normal for 30 seconds, then drop to just a few hundred kbps for several minutes. That increase/decrease pattern lasts for the entire download.

I literally noticed this for the first time just a few minutes after updating the OS last week, so I'm thoroughly convinced that's what is driving the problem.
Yeah, I noticed it right after 2.0 as well. I was really hoping 2.01 was going to fix it, but nothing. It isn't just a clear cut speed drop either. If you download multiple files at once they will all drop to about 400kbps each, not combined. I wonder if something got screwed up when they added the ability to pause downloads?

chip123

I've had a PS4 for about a month now, never had a download speed above 100kb/s on a 120Mb connection but it downloads really fast when on standby. I don't understand why.

MercuryLS

Banned
? What are they?

http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/

Lots of companies make them, I have one from D-Link I think. Two units plug into the wall, one near the PS4 and one near the router, plug in an ethernet from the PS4 to one of the adapters and an ethernet from the router to the other adapter. That's it, the internet signal is passed through the power line and it's the closest thing to having an actual wired connection between the router and the PS4. I have my PS4 in the basement and the router is upstairs, the wifi reception was terrible. Home plugs are amazing, I get near max speeds with them.

FeiRR

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug

Lots of companies make them, I have one from D-Link I think. Two units plug into the wall, one near the PS4 and one near the router, plug in an ethernet from the PS4 to one of the adapters and an ethernet from the router to the other adapter. That's it, the internet signal is passed through the power line and it's the closest thing to having an actual wired connection between the router and the PS4. I have my PS4 in the basement and the router is upstairs, the wifi reception was terrible. Home plugs are amazing, I get near max speeds with them.
I wish I could use those. I have almost one metre thick walls. They nearly stop any wifi signal. Unfortunately my electric wiring is too old for that technology.

Top Bottom