• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F*ck Konami: MGSV FOBs beyond the first must be bought via macrotransactions

RangerBAD

Thers already some tweets from konami saying MB Coins are purchased only. So for free you only get one FOB, to have more to acelerate your resorces gathering, you need to pay real money.

Im lazy to look, but they have been posted in this thread.

Would have been nice to get MB coins as rewards for successful invasions.

Is there any set amount of money I can pay to get the game back to a linear story driven experience instead of a collection of grindable portable-esque missions?

JDMC13

Mother Base (MB Coins)
55E454D34F1E0D0024

Has anyone checked the math?

6000 MBC / 79.95 Dollar = 75.046904315197 MBC / Dollar
3500 MBC / 48.95 Dollar = 71.50153217568948 MBC / Dollar - That's right kids. Buy more, get less. That's the Konami promise.
1150 MBC / 15.95 Dollar = 72.10031347962382 MBC / Dollar
550 MBC / 7.95 Dollar = 69.18238993710692 MBC / Dollar
100 MBC / 1.65 Dollar = 60.60606060606061 MBC / Dollar

3500 MBC / 48.95 Dollar = 71.50153217568948 MBC / Dollar - That's right kids. Buy more, get less. That's the Konami promise.

So it's worse to buy the $50 package vs the $16 one...

To be fair, a few of the cheaper Rock Band packs are like that.

99c per song, or $2.99 for a three pack. Save 2 pennies by buying individually.

Probably just more mind games. The $50 one could be there to muddy the waters of people trying to calculate a MBC/Dollar conversion rate in their head, or even purely to make the $80 one look like more of a bargain. Both of those are proven techniques that subtly exploit our mental machinery and direct potential buyers towards the preferred price-points.

Devil's Advocate:

I realize that people are upset and f*** Konami and all that, but would it be safe to say that if online FOBs weren't monetized in some way they might not even exist in the first place? We're already getting an insane amount of content, far beyond any of the past MGS games. Why would anyone expect Konami (or ANY business) to invest piles of cash in something above and beyond the core game without leaving some way to recoup their investment? Especially since they're already allowing people to play it for free? Is it just that it's a "slippery slope" towards more monetization?

Devil's Advocate:

I realize that people are upset and f*** Konami and all that, but would it be safe to say that if online FOBs weren't monetized in some way they might not even exist in the first place? We're already getting an insane amount of content, far beyond any of the past MGS games. Why would anyone expect Konami (or ANY business) to invest piles of cash in something above and beyond the core content without some way to recoup their investment? Especially since they're already allowing people to play it for free?

To make a better product that more people want to buy?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Devil's Advocate:

I realize that people are upset and f*** Konami and all that, but would it be safe to say that if online FOBs weren't monetized in some way they might not even exist in the first place? We're already getting an insane amount of content, far beyond any of the past MGS games. Why would anyone expect Konami (or ANY business) to invest piles of cash in something above and beyond the core game without leaving some way to recoup their investment? Especially since they're already allowing people to play it for free? Is it just that it's a "slippery slope" towards more monetization?

Last I checked, the only thing FOBs offer is an invasion-style gameplay method in a similar (but not exact) manner to Dark Souls, which doesn't charge you for the pleasure of getting invaded. Oh, and increases to your farming and construction rates.

It's absolute nonsense.

Devil's Advocate:

I realize that people are upset and f*** Konami and all that, but would it be safe to say that if online FOBs weren't monetized in some way they might not even exist in the first place? We're already getting an insane amount of content, far beyond any of the past MGS games. Why would anyone expect Konami (or ANY business) to invest piles of cash in something above and beyond the core content without some way to recoup their investment? Especially since they're already allowing people to play it for free?
The biggest issue I have is that the messaging has been that the micro-transactions were basically for people who don't want to wait, and that you can get everything by playing the game regularly.

That was completely untrue.

Devil's Advocate:

Maybe there's a huge issue because even buying the $80 macrotransaction doesn't give you enough coins to buy all the damn FOBs.

edit: and the points above.

Corpekata

Banned
Devil's Advocate:

Because having an unique and interesting multiplayer component will drive more sales, like every other game on the planet. Especially in the wake of MGO being delayed. They're not getting nothing out of this if they decided to price things normally.

Artex

Banned
Devil's Advocate:

What? People bought the game. Id like to know your age, because this reeks of someone who grew up under the Microsoft monetize-everything-that-used-to-be-free model. And to be clear I mean no offense but you're really bending over and taking a large corporate ding dong up your hee-haw with that attitude.

ZeroX03

Banned
The biggest issue I have is that the messaging has been that the micro-transactions were basically for people who don't want to wait, and that you can get everything by playing the game regularly.

For single player it's still true, which I think a lot of people aren't realizing.

But yes the FOB experience is heavily gimped by it. And by the sounds of the free FOB restrictions, more than originally thought.

That's what I though too. But I think I read here on GAF that they might give you MB coins as login rewards. So the waiting part would still hold I suppose...

Didn't they go after gamespot for pointing this shady shit out?

Not really, because Gamespot claimed the whole mode was behind a paywall and that's not true.

Dashl

Neo Member
With the FOB invasions, is that open to anyone, or setting for Friends list only? How many allies can you have? I know it is 1 vs 1, but I work 50 hours and up a week, so I probably shouldn't even worry about this part, but I want to try it at least.

Aselith

Devil's Advocate:

It's not that they're LETTING people play it for free, it's that they HAVE to let people play it for free. You can't get whales in to this type of shit if they don't have hapless free players to wreck.

And this could have easily been released as a separate f2p companion app type thing which would have made a fuck load more sense. So it would have existed in a better form if it wasn't specifically tied into the gameplay of the game that people actually wanted.

darkwing

Thanks, so $80 it is then

Especially since they're already allowing people to play it for free? Is it just that it's a "slippery slope" towards more monetization?
What do you mean here by free? Can you play this without paying for the game itself? Along those same lines, GTAO isn't free, though its often described as such, especially by marketers who gain advantage by subverting language.

The real devil's advocate example for me is the microtransactions in Mass Effect, Garden Warfare and Halo 5 where those packs go hand in hand with free multiplayer maps and modes and continued development. That at least has a positive spin to it, because that revenue subsidizes development while providing a steady clip of new content to the entire playerbase, rather than the usual split of the community into various DLC haves and have-nots. I'm still torn on the concept overall because I don't want long grinds in every game, but its probably the best of these models we've seen to date.

To make a better product that more people want to buy?

Last I checked, the only thing FOBs offer is an invasion-style gameplay method in a similar (but not exact) manner to Dark Souls, which doesn't charge you for the pleasure of getting invaded. Oh, and increases to your farming and construction rates.

It's absolute nonsense.

Maybe there's a huge issue because even buying the $80 macrotransaction doesn't give you enough coins to buy all the damn FOBs.

edit: and the points above.

Because having an unique and interesting multiplayer component will drive more sales, like every other game on the planet. Especially in the wake of MGO being delayed. They're not getting nothing out of this if they decided to price things normally.

What? People bought the game. Id like to know your age, because this reeks of someone who grew up under the Microsoft monetize-everything-that-used-to-be-free model. And to be clear I mean no offense but you're really bending over and taking a large corporate ding dong up your hee-haw with that attitude.

It's not that they're LETTING people play it for free, it's that they HAVE to let people play it for free. You can't get whales in to this type of shit if they don't have hapless free players to wreck.

And this could have easily been released as a separate f2p companion app type thing which would have made a fuck load more sense. So it would have existed in a better form if it wasn't specifically tied into the gameplay of the game that people actually wanted.

What do you mean here by free? Can you play this without paying for the game itself? Along those same lines, GTAO isn't free, though its often described as such, especially by marketers who gain advantage by subverting language.

The real devil's advocate example for me is the microtransactions in Mass Effect, Garden Warfare and Halo 5 where those packs go hand in hand with free multiplayer maps and modes and continued development. That at least has a positive spin to it, because that revenue subsidizes development while providing a steady clip of new content to the entire playerbase, rather than the usual split of the community into various DLC haves and have-nots. I'm still torn on the concept overall because I don't want grinds in every game, but its the best of these models we've seen to date.

All good and valid points. I want to be clear I'm not trying to be supportive of this whole thing, just trying to see it from different angles, hence the whole "devil's advocate" thing.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Well DLC is there to save time, so you pay more money to save even more time. Obviously they did this because people are willing to pay more for that.

Or may be people that's dumb/rich enough to pay $80 for this kind of DLC wouldn't bother to calculate the price per unit at the first place.

Aselith

What's with the rage?
People will buy them anyway..

I wouldn't be so sure. Paying $20 for one more base is not going to really fly off the shelves. Part of roping people into paying for extras is making them actually seem worth buying.

The way to properly institute your shitty warbucks economy is to make that 79.95 seems like it's gonna buy a bunch of stuff for you not one really big thing. So a dollar here, a few dollars there and you get people buying small stuff in then rope them into the real big thing by presenting a good value as it costs you less per warbuck if you buy a big package. The moment people start thinking about the purchase is the moment you lose a ton of your audience for this stuff.

Konami severely fucked the economy of this game the way it's set up. 20 bases for 3 bucks each would have had a lot of people buying. Not even competent enough to exploit their fans :(

Top Bottom