• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failoverflow conference about ps4 jailbreak is today....

tf7jlBK.jpg

ps1 emulated under linux :D

Wait wait wait... SteamOS is Linux based.

OMG

I'm not sure how you leapt from "fail0verflow showed Linux booting on a PS4" to "my multiplayer games are ruined."

Whatever exploit they're doing to run it is going to allow modded firmware to be installed. That leads to cheats and piracy (these hackers love piracy the most).

Hasney

Whatever exploit they're doing to run it is going to allow modded firmware to be installed. That leads to cheats and piracy (these hackers love piracy the most).

So every single console and handheld that has been online is terrible? They've all been hacked at this point. Strange you'd carry on.

But seriously, these guys don't even release half the stuff they show. These hackers that love piracy the most have been terrible at enabling the stuff for the masses despite how talented they are.

True Fire

Here come the multiplayer cheaters. Fun is over when these assholes get their way.

I'm sure multiplayer will be fine. If Sony doesn't already require updated firmware for MP, they will now.

And this won't catch on with the mainstream unless an exploit as easy as the Wii exploit comes out. 3DS jailbreaking wasn't mainstream until the YouTube exploit.

Just once CFW PS4s are banned as soon as they go online then I don't really mind. Might pick up a second PS4 for offline modding and homebrew.

Fisty

Man i would love to buy a second PS4 and turn it into a Steam Machine. I dont think i would risk my main console, got WAYYYY too much invested on the PS Store

Any ideas/thoughts on how a PS4 would perform as a Steam console?

c0de

There statement about the security on ps4 makes me think this is quite different to what cturt did with the browser, as in something inherently broken by Sony.

Noobcraft

Man i would love to buy a second PS4 and turn it into a Steam Machine. I dont think i would risk my main console, got WAYYYY too much invested on the PS Store

Solid GPU, weak CPU, and I'm not sure if there are any drivers that would take advantage of the full GPU feature set. I'm hopeful though, being able to play some of my old PC games on a PS4 is really intriguing because I don't have a powerful PC (just a SP3).

MUnited83

For you.
You said the exact same shit about the Wii U exploitable and for people to say goodbye to splatoon. Despite cheats already existing way before that specific exploitable and somehow magically Splatoon isn't a cheater fest and nobody needed to say goodbye :eek:

Maybe , just maybe, stop with the idiotic "the sky is falling" statements you do in these threads?

test_account

XP-39C²

Unless you can use standard drivers (mainly GPU drivers) on PS4 Linux, probably not that good. I think you're better off buying a PC instead.

luca_29_bg

There statement about the security on ps4 makes me think this is quite different to what cturt did with the browser, as in something inherently broken by Sony.

indeed this seems to be an hardware hack, like other hackers have said to wololo!

LordOfChaos

Poor per-thread performance would hurt it on a lot of PC games, though DX12/Vulkan will soon allow better multithreading there. With all threads engaged, it's an ok but low end for PC CPU, probably trading blows with an i3 with 7 cores vs that's 2. With less than stellar threading it would fall off a cliff, since it's based on Jaguar which competes with Atom.

The GPU is fine, around a 7850 iirc with some changes like more ACEs for compute queues, more direct communication to the CPU, etc. But the other thing is the PS4 has custom SDKs for their GPU, so what you got on PC wouldn't be using it as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
I didnt get to see the presentation myself, but going by the comments here, its disappointing to see that there wasnt much info regarding it. I already knew that the presentation was schedueled to be like 5 minutes long, so i didnt expect any deep analysis, but it would have been nice to have some general info on how it worked and which firmware they used.

"ps4 security is crap enough that you don't need us for that"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! it's x86, i suppose this don't help!:p
Well, "crap enough" could mean that theres one mistake (which we already know about, since they got kernel access), so it might not be that big of a fail/funny in that sense :) Pity that they didnt give any info regarding the security, would be interesting to see.

I don't get into this stuff. I buy my games and like to play online without cheats and hacks. Will this open up the system to online cheating?

I guess there goes that China 1%.

Title kind of implies it was a whole conference dedicated to this but after watching it looks like they gave a very brief demo at a general hacking conference.

I really hope they touch on why the security is bad. I think on PS3 it wasn't generating a random number when it should or something ridiculous?

The Wii conference they did about the password on the drives still kills me.

The PS3 used the same encryption key for all boots rather than a random that launched it similar to everything else.

test_account

XP-39C²
They're executing this exploit through the web browser (i just watched the presentation). They click on the user manual under the PS4 settings, which opens the web browser.

indeed this seems to be an hardware hack, like other hackers have said to wololo!
That would be interesting.

c0de

After there statement regarding homebrew on consoles and why they didn't do any more hacking to WiiU and the fact that there is nothing on their homepage, one might wonder how easy it was to hack the console.
Also I don't think they will release anything for PS4 regarding the hack. I guess it was a small attempt, they achieved what they wanted and talked about it and that's it.
But of course I hope for more groups/hackers to enable Linux on PS4!

Hasney

After there statement regarding homebrew on consoles and why they didn't do any more hacking to WiiU and the fact that there is nothing on their homepage, one might wonder how easy it was to hack the console.
Also I don't think they will release anything for PS4 regarding the hack. I guess it was a small attempt, they achieved what they wanted and talked about it and that's it.
But of course I hope for more groups/hackers to enable Linux on PS4!

There's a big exploit coming out for Wii U fairly soon. They just said there was not really much appetite for Wii U, so they released a way to use the extra cores in vWii mode instead.

Danj

any youtube link on non-flash link to the keynote? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A7V3GLWF6U&feature=youtu.be

I'd guess the exploit they're using is probably something in WebKit, as the user manual is probably just a browser that's hardcoded to go to a Sony URL. I'd imagine they redirected it by using custom DNS settings that point to a DNS server they control, which tells the PS4 that the Sony site is actually some other site, and that's how they get in.

c0de

any youtube link on non-flash link to the keynote? :)

I'm downloading the mp4 right now.

There's a big exploit coming out for Wii U fairly soon. They just said there was not really much appetite for Wii U, so they released a way to use the extra cores in vWii mode instead.

Yes but there could've been an exploit far sooner but they do it intentionally. Also they said there isn't much "appetite" for consoles in general.
https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html

fail0verflow said:
[...]
The same goes, by the way, for the Xbox Durango and the Playstation Orbis. They’re both glorified PCs. With Valve’s Steam Box coming up, there will be little advantage to either of the first consoles other than potentially new input devices and exclusive games. And the Steam Box will almost certainly be hackable with trivial to no effort.
[...]

Hasney

As long as online cheating and trophy fuckery can be prevented or is impossible this is good.

As soon as you get file access, trophy fuckery is happening. AFAIK, Sony thought once again that just having an unencrypted trophy file would be A-OK so just like PS3 and Vita, trophy fuckery will exist.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think maybe people think this could be a hardware hack because the presenter (not a part of Fail0verflow, as far as i know) said that it was a hardware hack. I think hes just referring to that its a hardware hack in terms of PS4 (the hardware) being hacked.

FrsDvl

I think maybe people think this could be a hardware hack because the presenter (not a part of Fail0verflow, as far as i know) said that it was a hardware hack. I think hes just referring to that its a hardware hack in terms of PS4 (the hardware) being hacked.

http://wololo.net/2015/12/30/linux-...-linux-running-on-the-ps4-run-a-pokemon-demo/

Other hackers, contacted about this announce, have told us that the Fail0verflow hack is probably hardware based and a release would not necessarily be convenient anyway.

There is no definite answer to this, but it's a possibility that you need a piece of hardware for it.

baphomet

As soon as you get file access, trophy fuckery is happening. AFAIK, Sony thought once again that just having an unencrypted trophy file would be A-OK so just like PS3 and Vita, trophy fuckery will exist.

Maybe they don't give a shit about trophies?

c0de

Maybe they don't give a shit about trophies?

Ehm, trophies seem to be a reason to charge for PS2 bc so yeah, somehow it is important to them. According to Sony it's even a process which takes months to add trophies to PS2 titles.

It will if Sony repeats last generation where they rarely banned anyone unless you were very obvious about your CFW PS3 and didn't take precaution before going online.

Also I love how you lump all hackers into loving piracy lol.

pastrami

Seriously, who cares if someone else has trophies?

I don't even care about trophies I get but some people are perfectionists and can only get satisfaction from 100% games. Why do you care if other people do more than you?

I think trophy statistics are interesting, and could be skewed by hackers. That said, I doubt they will have too much impact on trophy percentages.

Top Bottom