• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failoverflow conference about ps4 jailbreak is today....

LordOfChaos

Those hoping for a cheap Steam machine, forget it. You would need GPU drivers which won't happen.

Yeah, and plus Steam Machines that beat the PS4 in visuals/framerates aren't even much more expensive than it. The Alienware Alpha/Steam Machine (but get the Windows/Alpha version, you lose 30-50% of your performance without Windows) frequently go on sale at or a bit below PS4 price. The 860M and i3 beat the PS4s performance more often than not.

Yeah, and plus Steam Machines that beat the PS4 in visuals/framerates aren't even much more expensive than it. The Alienware Alpha/Steam Machine (but get the Windows/Alpha version, you lose 30-50% of your performance without Windows) frequently go on sale at or a bit below PS4 price. The 860M and i3 beat the PS4s performance more often than not.

Cheapest Alienware Alpha is £498.99, I just picked up a new model 1TB PS4 with 3 games for £249.99.

No one is saying buy a PS4 to become a steam machine but it is handy for those that already have one. Imagine a dualboot OS.

Nevadatan

I really hope they touch on why the security is bad. I think on PS3 it wasn't generating a random number when it should or something ridiculous?

The Wii conference they did about the password on the drives still kills me.

ah. yes... a fair dice roll, please, tell me the PS4 is better than that. if not well time to make popcorn

whitehawk

Banned
I remembered right about the PS3!

AwHMx1s.png

If anyones interested, this is still a really good wtach on exactly how they got through to the PS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4loZGYqaZ7I
Haven't watched the video yet, but it looks like someone added a comment to make the number random, but then never committed any code and left it to be 4 every time? Amazing.

Nevadatan

btw about the PS3, theres something i never understand about the fail0verflow and stuff.
if they got the public and private keys from sony, and they were able to sign executables (you can still sign stuff for PSP), how Sony were be able to revoke these keys without compromise older software (already signed by these)

Once it can run unsigned code then cheating in MP is very possible. I did it for months on PS3 when that could be jailbroken. Sony were real bad at banning back then though. The 2 months I had the PS3 I could go online on MW2, easily mod a patch.ff file for whatever things I wanted to do, throw it back on and boot the game up. Fully mods, could derank people, kill everyone in one bullet ect. I think in later years though they started to ban people fast.

Atolm

In Europe PS4 as a Steam machine for the price it usually goes would be a killer deal, those Alienware Alpha are crazy expensive here. But as I said, it won't happen.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hahaha, holy shit if true!

"Fail0verflow hint at critical bugs in the southbridge of the GPU, but do not give more details on the exploit in their presentation, besides “NOP Command is broken on the GPU”."

I figured the exploit will be found by exploiting secondary chips that were created for PC market and use driver code from decades ago.

ddikxela

Pretty cool to see what is possible with the webkit exploit. Too bad my boxed MSGV console is on too high a firmware for these mods to work.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is obviously inevitable at this point. i just hope whatever comes as a result of this doesn't ruin the experience for everybody else.

hesido

Ban modified PS4's from online aggressively and I care less about this. It will still be hard to make the decision to go pirate in a country where min wage is about 300 usd. I just don't like to have that option, as weird as it sounds.

You mean like impenetrable Windows OS?

While windows is full of exploits of all kinds, MS probably wouldn't gain from an "uncrackable" OS. Otherwise you would have entire countries working with alternative OS'es, and they wouldn't want that. /tinfoil

luca_29_bg

Hahaha, holy shit if true!

"Fail0verflow hint at critical bugs in the southbridge of the GPU, but do not give more details on the exploit in their presentation, besides “NOP Command is broken on the GPU”."

it's a big thing ? What can lead to ?

Knurek

I have no idea why people would think that would be related to the exploit.
(Hint: you don't get to send commands to the GPU until after you've cracked open the system)

Oh, I'm not saying it has anything to do with the exploit.
I was just wondering how can someone make a bug in a command that supposedly does nothing other than increasing IP or whatever's the equivalent in AMD GPUs.

Still don't understand why people do this.

Do what? Exploit/Hack consoles?

Piracy.
Homebrew.
Linux.
Power to do what you want with your own damn hardware that you own.
Freedom to Tinker.
Science.
Cryptography.
Computer Security.

That's a short list.

baphomet

Still don't understand why people do this.

Because I can do whatever I want with my personal property.

If I want to have a console offline that I can copy every one of my physical games to and boot them without using the discs I will.

Hasney

lol figured it was a representation or recreation. I'll watch the video now.

Yeah, the full version is that it generates a random number based off of 2 different numbers within the system... Which are static so the same number is returned every time. Whoopsie.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Opensource community could help with that.

Do not bet on it... :(. We are talking about very big and complex pieces of work which open source wise even with vendor support, see Intel and AMD (which would not help in this case), tend to be suboptimal. NVIDIA wise look at the community open source drivers and how much they lag the closed source ones.

Beefy

Do what? Exploit/Hack consoles?

Piracy.
Homebrew.
Linux.
Power to do what you want with your own damn hardware that you own.
Freedom to Tinker.
Science.
Cryptography.
Computer Security.

That's a short list.

Didn't say I was against it (apart from the piracy and using cheats in games). But why not do it on a PC?

Hasney

Didn't say I was against it (apart from the piracy and using cheats in games). But why not do it on a PC?

I don't know, it's just fun to piss about with this stuff. Although Linux on my PS4 would be fantastic, I then don't need another his under my TV to stream Steam.

I mean, I don't know why I played both Doom and Quake on my Dreamcast when I had them on PC, but I could, so I did.

KAL2006

Banned
Can't wait for fully upgraded Destiny players online.

Getting beaten by a single Hadoken on Street Fighter V

Infinite wall running in BLOPS 3

Hasney

Can't wait for fully upgraded Destiny players online.

Getting beaten by a single Hadoken on Street Fighter V

Infinite wall running in BLOPS 3

I know, this just constantly happens on the PS3.

Wait, I mean I've still not seen it become common. That one.

Or the hacked 360, 3DS (outside of Pokémon, that was before hacks though) or Wii U. I just don't get it, every single console that has gone online has been hacked and cheats enabled. If the experiences were that bad to have these sort of reactions, why are you still playing online when the inevitable will always happen?

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't know but perhaps it's a way to circumvent nx protection so making it easier to inject code but that is only a wild guess, of course.
Hopefully there will be more info regarding it :) Personally i dont really care that much about the functionality (i feel that a PC can do it better), but i find it interesting to read about the techncal aspect of these hacks.

EDIT: Maybe already mentioned in the thread, but i read over at Wololo.net that the hack is at least performed at firmware lower than 2.50. The PSN icon that they show in the presentation was changed in firmware 2.50, so they're probably using firmware 1.76.

Top Bottom