• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failoverflow conference about ps4 jailbreak is today....

Keihart

As soon as you get file access, trophy fuckery is happening. AFAIK, Sony thought once again that just having an unencrypted trophy file would be A-OK so just like PS3 and Vita, trophy fuckery will exist.

But would that be able to sync-up ok to PSN? it would be kinda lame seeing ultra rare trophies percents being altered.

test_account

XP-39C²
But would that be able to sync-up ok to PSN? it would be kinda lame seeing ultra rare trophies percents being altered.
The people who will do this are probably quite small in the big picture, so it probably wont change much.

All this progress on other system, where the hell is the ps vita progress? God why you hurt me so.
Its kinda based on luck in the sense of which exploits that are available. Vita is more proprietary as far as i know, while PS4 is based on FreeBSD. If it wasnt for the BadIRET exploit in FreeBSD, maybe the PS4 wouldnt have been hacked by now. People have definitelly tried to hack the Vita at least.

Red Devil

I'm really interested to see if they can install Windows. Even SteamOS would be really cool. It'd be the ultimate console.

Sure, but to be the ultimate console or Steam machine it'd definitely need Windows.

Sony teased them actually

attachment.php

Inbefore, they should try to get the PS2 emulator to run it, heh.

[citation needed]

The reality is no matter what was the original intention with this, these kind of things always end up being used for piracy.

la_briola

[...]

The reality is no matter what was the original intention with this, these kind of things always end up being used for piracy.

You implied that their motive is piracy. I strongly disagree.
They love hard/software and reverse engineering. Their motives seem to be more research and knowledge based.

rav

Here come the multiplayer cheaters. Fun is over when these assholes get their way.

I'm not sure how you leapt from "fail0verflow showed Linux booting on a PS4" to "my multiplayer games are ruined."

So far, all we really know is they've found a way to circumvent the current OS with what sounds like an overflow in the GPU, and have not shown anything related to CFW / using the original OS after the fact.

The reason the PS3 CFW scene happened was due to the nature of the hacks. We don't know the nature of the hacks (yet), and there's no reason to be alarmed about cheating in online games because of this jailbreak. Time will tell.

They don't do it for intellectual curiosity they do it for their own ego. To be hailed by thousands of kids who smell a chance to play games for free, and/or to cheat. That's the majority.

Look at geohot he moved on to actually contribute something positive to the world.

Nobody can argue that because there is some kind of piracy already, or some kind of multiplayer assholery that it doesn't matter anymore: subverting the walled garden experience would make things 100x more unpleasant for the majority. And for what? So someone can add a mod to Witcher 3?

Nett nett it is almost totally a negative contribution, nothing to support or cheer. One of the pleasant features of multiplayer games is a level playing field. People complain about pay to win DLC, but approve of this? I think in the end it's the usual entitlement generation showing up: why can't I wall-hack or trophy hack, why can't I download and run a copy for free, I want it now!

They don't do it for intellectual curiosity they do it for their own ego. To be hailed by thousands of kids who smell a chance to play games for free, and/or to cheat. That's the majority.

Look at geohot he moved on to actually contribute something positive to the world.

Nobody can argue that because there is some kind of piracy already, or some kind of multiplayer assholery that it doesn't matter anymore: subverting the walled garden experience would make things 100x more unpleasant for the majority. And for what? So someone can add a mod to Witcher 3?

Nett nett it is almost totally a negative contribution, nothing to support or cheer. One of the pleasant features of multiplayer games is a level playing field. People complain about pay to win DLC, but approve of this? I think in the end it's the usual entitlement generation showing up: why can't I wall-hack or trophy hack, why can't I download and run a copy for free, I want it now!

But none of this is leading to hacks like the ones you are outlining. There are clear cut differences between what you suggest and running linux.

I'd say it's the kneejerk generation showing up and assuming things before reading the actual topic.

I am talking in general terms about the efforts to subvert the system to escape the code signing protections and fake or otherwise trick the OS to run code.

The only reason that the effort gets any publicity at all is because whatever it discovers or enables is a step down the path to ultimately getting to do the stuff a console maker doesn't want anyone to do, because it threatens the value proposition of the entire platform. They are not in the business of selling hardware but selling a total ecosystem. Security is part of that sale.

I am talking in general terms about the efforts to subvert the system to escape the code signing protections and fake or otherwise trick the OS to run code.

The only reason that the effort gets any publicity at all is because whatever it discovers or enables is a step down the path to ultimately getting to do the stuff a console maker doesn't want anyone to do, because it threatens the value proposition of the entire platform. They are not in the business of selling hardware but selling a total ecosystem. Security is part of that sale.

Wait, so are you angry at the people making these "hacks" devaluating the PS4 because of the possible nature of piracy? Or angry at Sony for allowing these possible problems to happen?

Since you are moving your whole point to the general terms and efforts, does that mean people here who want linux are, in part, advocating for piracy or enabling it?

Seems like you are trying to find a safe way of complaining about it.

What does that mean? Linux problem or easier to access the GPU drivers?
It means the linux driver doesn't work with the PS4 hardware because there's a hardware operation that behaves differently to what the driver expects. It's not unusual for hardware to have these odd issues that just have to be worked around. Especially hardware that lives behind a driver, or is in a fixed platform.

SURGEdude

Send it in for repairs for free.

I think the point he was making is if a firmware update got released in the wild and due to their overzealous security killed 100% of boxes it was applied to Sony would be on the hook for billions in repairs and seriously damage their image once people learned what happened. There's a reason aggressive e-fuse implementations are rare. A false positive as a result of a bug or error is just too big a risk.

Dazza

All they have to do is ban PSN accounts, since online multiplayer requires PS Plus now the same as Xbox Live it will cut down the hacking. That's the reason why it was worst on the PS3 because online multiplayer was free, even though the 360 got hacked well before the PS3 did.

Portugeezer

All they have to do is ban PSN accounts, since online multiplayer requires PS Plus now the same as Xbox Live it will cut down the hacking. That's the reason why it was worst on the PS3 because online multiplayer was free, even though the 360 got hacked well before the PS3 did.

From what I remember, people with hacked 360's would only (mostly?) get banned if they ran pirated software. You could hack your own 360 and run your own backups and they would be fine as it would be a unique ID.

I could be remembering incorrectly though.

Dazza

From what I remember, people with hacked 360's would only (mostly?) get banned if they ran pirated software. You could hack your own 360 and run your own backups and they would be fine as it would be a unique ID.

I could be remembering incorrectly though.

No, heaps of ppl had their xbox live accounts banned also for cheating; both occurred, xbox live account banning and console ID bans. Have a look at any of the old forum posts at relevant forums

Joco

I never understood the appeal of this. If they want Linux or custom roms or whatever the hell they want to do with it, why not just mess around on PC? Am I missing something?

c0de

I never understood the appeal of this. If they want Linux or custom roms or whatever the hell they want to do with it, why not just mess around on PC? Am I missing something?

Yep, getting a pc for 299 which plays Sony games and is able to run Linux and Retroarch. Show me a pc that does both for the same price.

finalflame

Gold Member

Because discovering and successfully exploiting vulnerabilities that let you break open a system is fun and a fundamental part of the infosec community. Arguably, this allows Sony and others to better secure their system better down the line. Systems are only exploitable due to poor security practices/overlooked aspects of security by the creators (see: 3DS only checking data before decryption, Nintendo leaking their two of their AES keys in firmwares, allowing you to figure out the constant in their hardware key scrambler, etc).

Anyways, every time someone finds and successfully exploits a vulnerability, you learn something new about software security. There's intrinsic value in this kind of stuff. Also, running things that weren't intended to run on proprietary hardware is fun.

sam777

No, heaps of ppl had their xbox live accounts banned also for cheating; both occurred, xbox live account banning and console ID bans. Have a look at any of the old forum posts at relevant forums

You only got banned if you played a pirated game online. And 99% of the time they banned the console unless you were cheating, which results in a gamertag ban.

jmga

Marcan wrote on their blog about this.

https://fail0verflow.com/blog/2015/console-hacking-2015-liner-notes.html

Basically, what he's saying is that they will only work to give PS4 official Linux support, hardware acceleration and turn it into a "Steam Machine" able to run indie and even AAA games.

They are not releasing any exploits because that usually turns into piracy and they don't want to be responsible of, like they were with Wii and PS3.

But he says PS4 security is pretty bad and other people will publish exploits needed to install Linux.

luca_29_bg

Basically, what he's saying is that they will only work to give PS4 official Linux support, hardware acceleration and turn it into a "Steam Machine" able to run indie and even AAA games.

They are not releasing any exploits because that usually turns into piracy and they don't want to be responsible of, like they were with Wii and PS3.

But he says PS4 security is pretty bad and other people will publish exploits needed to install Linux.

like i said before, it's only a matter of time.

luca_29_bg

"TL;DR: We’re working on Linux kernel patches, and are looking to get them upstreamed. We’re not releasing exploits - we’re certain other people will. Don’t ask us. And if you want free games, go away."

Sciò,sciò! (in italian)

ahahahahaha :D

c0de

Good guy, marcan. Hopefully this will stop the nonsense in this thread about piracy. I really hope for Linux on ps4 and look forward to exploits which enable it so one can take even more advantage of the hardware.

Came across 2 guys level 800 last night on BO3, pointed me in the direction of a guy running a modded lobby shop on a site for $65. Related to this?

Good guy, marcan. Hopefully this will stop the nonsense in this thread about piracy. I really hope for Linux on ps4 and look forward to exploits which enable it so one can take even more advantage of the hardware.

Let's not forget Geohot released his cfw without piracy support. I Believe it was less then A day later a modified version came out with it.

I'm pro jail breaking and unlocking. I hate how every thread on gaf with this topic dissolves into a piracy or cheating debate. Let's keep the pointless comments out of this.

Hopefully the doors get blown wide open. I'll gladly grab a second ps4.

test_account

XP-39C²
It means the linux driver doesn't work with the PS4 hardware because there's a hardware operation that behaves differently to what the driver expects. It's not unusual for hardware to have these odd issues that just have to be worked around. Especially hardware that lives behind a driver, or is in a fixed platform.
I see. But would that be concidered broken though? Or maybe he just ment broken as in not compatible.

Thanks for this, an interesting read.

I agree that its cool that they're trying to avoid it, i am however curious on how it will work in practice. I wonder if someone will be able to release an exploit that will only allows for Linux to boot, and not leading to anyone else tinkering with such exploit. I guess thats the idea here. I cant really see it happening if someone releases a kernel exploit.

Let's not forget Geohot released his cfw without piracy support. I Believe it was less then A day later a modified version came out with it.

I'm pro jail breaking and unlocking. I hate how every thread on gaf with this topic dissolves into a piracy or cheating debate. Let's keep the pointless comments out of this.

Hopefully the doors get blown wide open. I'll gladly grab a second ps4.
Piracy is a big part of it if things are blown wide open, so i wouldnt say that its pointless. Well, perhaps pointless in the sense that things wouldnt change regardless of whats being said, but i see no harm in people discussing it when its relevant.

Yet another system you can hack to run old games on. Seriously why go through this effort every console generation. Go buy a PC and don't worry about violating terms of service and getting your account banned.

Uhyve

Can't you use the PS4 GPU for emulating, too?
GPUs can be used for any general purpose computation, but unless you're doing large amounts of calculations that can be done in parallel, then a CPU is your best bet. When it comes to emulation, due to timing/sync issues the amount of threads you can run will usually be limited to the amount of processors (CPU+GPU+sound) that the original console had (plus maybe one or two extra if someone figures out the odd thing that doesn't need to be precisely timed).

But yeah, in general, GPGPU isn't that useful for emulation.

Fake edit: I'm sure I've seen people talk about using GPGPU instead of using a graphics API (like OpenGL and DX). Due to the way console GPUs can't always be exactly emulated on a PC GPU, using GPGPU could allow for software style graphics emulation with some amount of GPU acceleration but I've never seen anyone do that. It wouldn't be faster than a fully hardware accelerated solution, just more accurate and it would benefit PC just as much as it would PS4.

Yet another system you can hack to run old games on. Seriously why go through this effort every console generation. Go buy a PC and don't worry about violating terms of service and getting your account banned.
Oh come on, the idea of having a single box under your TV that can run PS4 games and SteamOS games doesn't sound cool to you?

x3sphere

I've been for hacking other consoles in the past but I really don't see the appeal in these newer ones. They use standard parts for the most part, and aren't much more powerful than a similarly priced PC.

PS3/Xbox 360 were exciting, the hardware combo they were packing was above what you could get in a PC - even high end at the time of release. They didn't get fully hacked until much later though so I think that's part of what really held back a flourishing homebrew scene.

I just don't see the gain in working around all the inevitable limitations and restriction s (online access for instance) this will bring, just to run stuff on hardware that is pretty much an off the shelf PC.

The fact that they are working on a driver to get 3D acceleration working with the PS4 GPU in a Linux environment makes this way more interesting. The PS4 as a fairly cheap little Linux gaming box sounds good (in addition to playing PS4 games), especially when it hits the like 200$ and under mark.

Sony is going to patch out the web browser now and Jeff Rigby is gonna be super sad.
The PS4 is hardware wise a PC with standard APIs except for parts of the MediaCON=Southbridge=Aeolia (Marvell name).

Sony does not allow anyone except Japan programmers to touch Southbridge because that is the ARM Trustzone managed Southbridge TEE (Trusted Execution Environment) for DRM. Sony just sandboxes some of the code running in the APU and hash checks the APU's OS just after it is booted by Southbridge.

For those interested; Sony uses Mono (C# JIT compiler) calling webkit native libraries as a framework to support commercial APPS and Webkit as well as Mono are always loaded. OpenGL ES2 is the Graphics framework and it supports 2D and 3D graphics. Why mono instead of Javascript; because Mono is smaller,faster and easier for them to insure it has no vulnerabilities. This was a speculation of mine a few years ago that I got right.

The above are from recent dumps of the PS4 booting.

So Hacking the APU is no big deal as that is the open world part of the PS4 and since it must support most of the HTML5 calls to support Vidipath including W3C extensions, it is considered vulnerable to hacks which is the reason for Trustzone managed boots, hash checks of the OS and all DRM is behind the ARM Trustzone managed TEE. Given this the hack is to an already running PS4 and at reboot the hack never existed.

Yep, getting a pc for 299 which plays Sony games and is able to run Linux and Retroarch. Show me a pc that does both for the same price.

Pretty much this, and the folks that probably did this are not breaking their back to
afford games at least not for long.

This is more about reputation and control over their own hardware.

The PS4 is hardware wise a PC with standard APIs except for parts of the MediaCON=Southbridge=Aeolia (Marvell name).

Sony does not allow anyone except Japan programmers to touch Southbridge because Sony management is still traditional and incompetent and dont see the value of hiring fresh outside talent that might improve their software development issues

Fixed

Can't sony block this in new firmware update ? Also mostly new games require updated firmware to work. May be PS4 Slim revision expected this year can fix those security ssues and they might be stopping making original model, so will not harm them anymore even if there is real hacking for piracy which will take time before that Slim will be released.

Did they say anything about their Linux working on latest firmware and future firmware versions also ?

Top Bottom