• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Attack on Titan 2-7

What....the...hell.......I'm literally making this expression right now. This show is something else.

oinPzwz.png

Spoiler for some: http://i.imgur.com/Sk1jdo3.jpg

I...don't even.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hal (Film)
What a creepy movie. A girl's boyfriend dies when an airplane randomly explodes in the sky. She becomes a depressed shut in, so to revitalize her spirit a robot wearing a fedora is remade to look exactly like the girl's lost lover.

For something that deals with emotional subject matter, Hal lacks any sort of subtlety or tact. The girl's wants are literally scribbled out on Rubik's Cubes that the robot has to solve in order to have a greater understanding of this girl he is trying to woo/cheer up. The plodding pace seems to be some kind of weird substitute for building drama.

After some junk about character's having a dark past there is a large hilarious twist near the end that essentially sacrifices any attempt at this story being about human relationships.
Hal, the main guy, is not a robot. He simply believes he is a robot. The actual android is the girl in this movie. The real girl was the only one who got on the plane that exploded.
For a movie that already felt emotionless this dynamic turned the entire story into this really boring story that doesn't utilize or search into any meaning of the concept it originally presents with loved ones being replaced by robots.

Don't Watch This Movie out of Ten.

Quasar

Hal (Film)
What a creepy movie. A girl's boyfriend dies when an airplane randomly explodes in the sky. She becomes a depressed shut in, so to revitalize her spirit a robot wearing a fedora is remade to look exactly like the girl's lost lover.

For something that deals with emotional subject matter, Hal lacks any sort of subtlety or tact. The girl's wants are literally scribbled out on Rubik's Cubes that the robot has to solve in order to have a greater understanding of this girl he is trying to woo/cheer up. The plodding pace seems to be some kind of weird substitute for building drama.

After some junk about character's having a dark past there is a large hilarious twist near the end that essentially sacrifices any attempt at this story being about human relationships.
Hal, the main guy, is not a robot. He simply believes he is a robot. The actual android is the girl in this movie. The real girl was the only one who got on the plane that exploded.
For a movie that already felt emotionless this dynamic turned the entire story into this really boring story that doesn't utilize or search into any meaning of the concept it originally presents with loved ones being replaced by robots.

Whilst I kind of enjoyed most of it. The left turn at the end was odd though and kind of ruined it for me. Especially since it was dropped in 5 minutes from the end.

Hal (Film)

This is hilarious. I almost want to watch it now.

Jintor

started reading log horizon now that vol1 is finally translated... so the mmo wasn't SAO as in online VR game, it was just a standard ass mmo that had WoW level of subs.

And apparently half the population are at old lvl 90 cap. Weird the show made it seem like lvl 90s were pretty rare.

i dunno, everyone we've seen is either lvl 90 or a complete noob. I think.

survivor

Banned
Hal (Film)

I still don't get how
you convince yourself that you are a robot just cause of the shock of the loss of your girlfriend. I just can't accept that leap of logic. I really wish the movie didn't waste all its time on that dumb plot twist.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hal (Film)What a creepy movie. A girl's boyfriend dies when an airplane randomly explodes in the sky. She becomes a depressed shut in, so to revitalize her spirit a robot wearing a fedora is remade to look exactly like the girl's lost lover.

Isn't this the plot to Her?!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I still don't get how
you convince yourself that you are a robot just cause of the shock of the loss of your girlfriend. I just can't accept that leap of logic.
I have no idea, but I didn't understand the one flashback detailing the "illegal work" with the robots at all. Maybe in the source material there is some reasoning there, but that logic leap is definitely there and pretty big when it's the foundation for the whole movie.

fertygo

"What? This ship can warp? Is such a thing even possible?"

"What? The engine can act as a main gun? Is such a thing even possible?"

"Fire the main gun at that flare? Is such a thing even possible?"

No one even wants to know what the ship is capable of ;_;

Again, I get it, they're a mostly ragtag crew of misfits. It's that they have to keep pointing this out that is slightly annoying to me, and that made me say I wouldn't want to go to war with them ever.

The last one is kind of ingenious tactic from the captain though.

Out of 9 eps that I watched so far maybe the only thing that irk me is some plot convenience.

Under attack, finding gun out of nowhere
finding enemy base because seeing them out from enemy field

etc

I thought there's wouldn't much hollywood flick convenience like those.. but everything else is great.

LordCanti

I am convinced that Hanekawa has come closer to having sex with Senjougahara than Araragi ever has.

She's gotten to at least second base if not third, but I think Alalagi-san is regularly hitting home runs
while Shinobu watches; The pervert.

He can go all night thanks to his regenerative powers; I saw it in an eromanga.

survivor

Banned
I have no idea, but I didn't understand the one flashback detailing the "illegal work" with the robots at all. Maybe in the source material there is some reasoning there, but that logic leap is definitely there and pretty big when it's the foundation for the whole movie.

The movie is the source material. The manga is pretty much just a retelling of the movie panel by panel.

Meganebu 2

Felt like watching some more of this, and it's pretty enjoyable. The Glasses Club guys are charming, funny, flamboyant, and there's just the added pinch of emotion on top to bring a smile to my face. Plus there's the whole homoerotic undertones thing, if you're into that.

IZOEeqW.jpg

I really do like the sense of style this show has at times.

I wasn't expecting the pro-tier slapstick sequence.

CorvoSol

when does monogatari s2 get good

Nekomonogatari Shiro 1

Monogatari SS 20

This was actually a really, really sweet episode. I've always liked Hachikuji, because she was a goofy friend of Araragi's, and this arc has finally delivered on the
crushing depression I had expected back in Mayoi Zombie. That Araragi could not save the girl he had done so much to save was really rough, but Hachikuji's acceptance of it was pretty brave, and while I normally would find such things tasteless, her farewell kiss to Araragi works, considering the situation. I really am glad things didn't just sort themselves out into a happy ending here, because it would've cheapened the entire experience. Also I am guessing that Ougi is the "darkness". Araragi certainly seems to suspect so.

fertygo

Nah, the first arc is the worst part of it.

Only said by the cat haters :p

Oni arc clearly the worst in objective sense!
Nekomonogatari Shiro 1

Monogatari SS 20

This was actually a really, really sweet episode. I've always liked Hachikuji, because she was a goofy friend of Araragi's, and this arc has finally delivered on the
crushing depression I had expected back in Mayoi Zombie. That Araragi could not save the girl he had done so much to save was really rough, but Hachikuji's acceptance of it was pretty brave, and while I normally would find such things tasteless, her farewell kiss to Araragi works, considering the situation. I really am glad things didn't just sort themselves out into a happy ending here, because it would've cheapened the entire experience. Also I am guessing that Ougi is the "darkness". Araragi certainly seems to suspect so.

Aw yiss, best monogatari start in next episode.

kiryogi

Banned
Nekomonogatari Shiro 1

Monogatari SS 20

What's so fantastic here was just how melancholy Araragi was.

LordCanti

Nekomonogatari Shiro 1

Monogatari SS 20

Mayoi-chan
was too good for us. If you had all been better, we could have enjoyed her longer. You've only yourselves to blame

fertygo

Fertygo gets it, guys. Neko arc's still the best arc.

So far I would go: Neko > Time > Medusa > Zombie

OOHH9TB.jpg

I'm surprised you put time at 2nd place though, yeah the ending is great but the arc itself is tedious and ararararagi pedophile gimmick is sickening to watch.

Neko only got bested by the best monogatari, Kaikimonogatari.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Nekomonogatari Shiro 1

Monogatari SS 20

Now I can finally post this.
also notice the nisio troll of having hachakachi being the main focus of this arc whilst shinobu was the main focus of the other?

jgminto

Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea) Episode 13
tumblr_myjhgxWCAj1sljgpoo8_250.gif
tumblr_myjhgxWCAj1sljgpoo2_250.gif

The whole scene for the sea lighting and the ceremony was wonderful
but I couldnt help feeling that something was going to happen which it did. Was glad that Akari managed to make it out and I guess Hikari too as well, Tsumugu, and hopefully Kaname too.
. Powerful episode all around.

Hyped for the next part.

Kaname is probably dead

Meganebu 2

Felt like watching some more of this, and it's pretty enjoyable. The Glasses Club guys are charming, funny, flamboyant, and there's just the added pinch of emotion on top to bring a smile to my face. Plus there's the whole homoerotic undertones thing, if you're into that.

I wasn't expecting the pro-tier slapstick sequence.

Oh hey, someone else is actually watching Meganebu, it's a damn good comedy show.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Catching up with the thread and I'm coming into the conversation a bit late but... tl;dr just trust Nafe. ;p

Anyway, if all the recent praise for Yamato 2199 isn't enough to get you to watch it, then I'll be recommending you to watch that as well. :)
Oh, I've definitely noticed and have it backlogged, but we'll see when I can get around to it. I have too much on my plate and too many go-to time-killers when I'm not doing something I planned to previously, even between semesters. :/

Ah, Ok. Like many people, when I was younger I saw different shows with anthropomorphic characters or animals that looked the same but just acted human and while I maybe enjoyed the shows, I didn't really have any particular interests in the characters being animals.

I also like Holo more for her personality where she can be playful and teasing but also serious and witty when she needs to be. I think different anime characters look cute with the nekomimi or fluffy tail thing but I think Holo, for example, would also be fine without them. At different points in the show she wears a cloak to hide her ears and tail anyway but you can still see her eyes and face and the outfit she's wearing and everything and I think she looks still looks cute.
Yeah, the important part for me is that while I exposed myself to a lot of such material, it always struck a chord and it would stick with me. Books like Hey Al and Top Secret, as well as specific episodes of various shows like many in TMNT, the ep of Batman TAS where Selina Kyle becomes an actual cat woman, the ep of Gargoyles where Eliza becomes one, the devolution ep of TNG, and even the Warp 10 ep of ST: Voyager. A lot of anime in my viewing history, good and bad, is neatly explained by this. Holo for me was "oh yeah, there's also this stuff I've been neglecting for eons", hence "gateway drug", even though it's not like any real conversion took place.

LordCanti

Yamato 15 Again

I need some counseling in my pants.

Edit:
Not ze fuhrer! Neinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Edit: Oh no.
One ship: "OH MY GOD WHATRE WE GONNA DO?!?!" A whole fleet: "Fuck it; Go through them #YOLOSWAG #SHIELDSTOMAXIMUM

Jintor

Joined Hulu just to watch Rashomon on the free trial. Look at the anime section on a lark.

>All dese shows

I... I might just forego netflix.

CorvoSol

OOHH9TB.jpg

I'm surprised you put time at 2nd place though, yeah the ending is great but the arc itself is tedious and ararararagi pedophile gimmick is sickening to watch.

Neko only got bested by the best monogatari, Kaikimonogatari.

The ending of the arc is the only reason I placed it so high. The rest of it was tedious, but between it and Mayoi Zombie I can't deny that the two toddlers got the development they needed.

Now I can finally post this.
also notice the nisio troll of having hachakachi being the main focus of this arc whilst shinobu was the main focus of the other?

Yes, I did notice that.

Monogatari SS 21

An entire arc dedicated to Kaiki? Pinch me I'm dreaming.

Jintor

Huh... I thought Yamato was being streamed on YouTube for some reason, but I can't find it (on my tablet, anyway). Where to go?

Zetsumetsu Kigu Shoujo: Amazing Twins 1 - That was pretty good! It's too bad that this is an OVA and not a series, because I'd watch it... but instead all I can do is hope that they make more of this. This series isn't original, but it's well-made and entertaining. It's a series about a girl with superpowers, but people with special powers aren't liked, so she hides it and is a magician. Her goal is apparently to eventually make people be more okay with people with powers. She's somewhat generic, but is likeable enough, which is good. Of course though there are villainous jerks out there who want to punish people for their bias, and some of them attack our heroine. Cue battle scenes, which take up a good amount of this OVA. There's also a bit of yuribait with the main character and a friend of hers. So yeah, this was good fun all around.

foxuzamaki

The ending of the arc is the only reason I placed it so high. The rest of it was tedious, but between it and Mayoi Zombie I can't deny that the two toddlers got the development they needed.

Yes, I did notice that.

Monogatari SS 21

An entire arc dedicated to Kaiki? Pinch me I'm dreaming.

plus senjugahara ;)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Attack on Titan 14

That trial was brutal.

Watching Levi beat the shit out of Eren was difficult to watch (probably infuriating for Mikasa) but I'm glad that Eren ended up being able to join the survey corps. Still sucks that people treat him like he's less than human because of his abilities.

I really hope he isn't separated from Mikasa for very long.

LordCanti

Yamato 16

You're telling me that the
fat complainer
and the
fox bastard
couldn't be
trusted
? No wai!

I expected better of
sexy counseling-chan
though.

It's too bad that paradise is
a death trap

CorvoSol

plus senjugahara ;)

Pssssh. Like she matters.

Monogatari SS 22

Holy shit at
Goddess Nadeko. Creepy
does not begin to describe it.

Monogatari SS 23

It's totally a shrine shaped like Araragi in there. I saw it once in an episode of Hey Arnold. Made entirely out of chewing gum, too, I bet.
I bet we never see, just like in Nekomonogatari Kuro

foxuzamaki

Pssssh. Like she matters.

Monogatari SS 22

Holy shit at
Goddess Nadeko. Creepy
does not begin to describe it.

Monogatari SS 23

It's totally a shrine shaped like Araragi in there. I saw it once in an episode of Hey Arnold. Made entirely out of chewing gum, too, I bet.
I bet we never see, just like in Nekomonogatari Kuro
haha your just blowing through it now.

CorvoSol

haha your just blowing through it now.

At this point why not? Then I'll be caught up on all m'shows. It'll give me a few days to get back on track with my mecha anime before school and winter season start up.

Monogatari SS 24

Kaiki and
Hanekawa. In a hotel room. Unbuttoning.
This is a thing I didn't know I wanted until now.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Does the preview music of Yamato 2199 remind anyone else of music form this awesome anime called Hi no Tori?

CorvoSol

Monogatari SS 25

OH SNAP
Turns out Kaiki's plan didn't work! Because Nadeko is crazy and crazy people don't fool with sane people logic. Or maybe because he tried to convince her that a vampire living in a shadow died in a car crash. Also Ononoki's suggestion that Kaiki has actually been trying to help Senjougahara from the moment he met her is a terrifyingly believable concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom