• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas mod discussion

Varna

If you use, Mod Organizer, yes.

That's basically what you use profiles for correct?

Any tips on getting Weapon Mods Expanded to work with the Weapon Retexture Project? I follow the instructions in the readme (WMX > Patches > WRP) but some of my models are still are weird looking (.357 Magnum most of all).

That's basically what you use profiles for correct?

Yeah. You can basically just back up your entire Mod Organizer folder and have a pristine backup of the entire modded experience.

Any tips on getting Weapon Mods Expanded to work with the Weapon Retexture Project? I follow the instructions in the readme (WMX > Patches > WRP) but some of my models are still are weird looking (.357 Magnum most of all).

The only issue I had was a mesh on the hunting rifle was messed up when I added a scope but I found a fix for it on the Nexus. Might be something similar happening there.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
So I want to play New Vegas and I'm wondering are there any essential mods I might want to check out? I preferably would want to limit the amount of mods, so a top 5 or so list would be great.

Varna

So I want to play New Vegas and I'm wondering are there any essential mods I might want to check out? I preferably would want to limit the amount of mods, so a top 5 or so list would be great.

Project Nevada + Extra Options

This will allow you to tweak the game to be as challenging (or easy) as you like. Lets you set rarity for items, barter prices, combat damage, exp rate, etc.

Impact

This makes the gunfights feel a lot more intense.

Real Recoil

Give the guns a hefty weight to them. Especially the higher caliber ones.

Nevada Skies

Adds another layer of strategy to the game. Do I want to risk going out at night? Rain and sandstorms hurt visibility greatly and can kill you if you are not careful.

Electro City

Works really well with NS darker nights.

I have a question about .ini tweaks. Is there any point to using them if I am using the 4GB loader? increasing preload size, buffer cells, etc.

Varna

Anyone have experience with Vicious Wasteland?

PN does a pretty good job for general changes but this mod seems to offer more in terms of actually going into the game and tweaking perks, weapons, armors, etc.

Well after nine fucking years I'm finally back into modding Fallout on a PC. Haven't touched it since '08 when I was modding Fallout 3. Things have changed or I've forgotten a lot.

Trying to mod New Vegas but I'm running into headaches.

Had to migrate my entire Steam library out of the Program Files (x86) folder to a new C:/Games folder to get away from the Windows shit. But for some reason it won't let me entirely delete the old x86 Steam folder despite deleting the old regedit files. I guess it doesn't matter as Steam is no longer accessing that folder so oh well.

I've downloaded Nexus Mod Manager (it's way more intuitive than it was a decade ago!)

Can anyone tell me what exactly Archive Invalidation does? I downloaded a mod called Archive Invalidation Invalidated but I don't know what it's actually doing. I was told to uncheck the "Read Only" box on the FalloutNV ini file but I've no clue what's being done. Tried to tweak some ini settings but they seemingly get reset every time I play the game. Can't figure it out.

Kinda frustrated. I'm just trying to download some character skin models to make my girl look a little better than the old ghouls the Beth engine makes them out to be, but I'm getting mad texture problems, and this "Archive Invalidation Invalidated" mod is supposed to fix it? But it doesn't seem to be helping.

I've no fucking clue. :(

On the plus side, Nevada Skies seems to work with no issues.

I would recommend Mod Organizer over NMM for Fallout. It's a little harder to learn but it's so much more flexible and it's fare easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

Top Bottom