• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Free on Xbox Live Store

bidguy

Banned
Sony removed the Amplitude license after it was downloaded. It would still be on your console, but you'd be locked out of launching the game. Don't know if Microsoft can do the same.

they can for sure. got a few refunds for games i didnt like and they dissapeared from my dl list. when launched it said "you own this game?" or something

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Sony removed the Amplitude license after it was downloaded. It would still be on your console, but you'd be locked out of launching the game. Don't know if Microsoft can do the same.

Didn't know about that. I just remember the Fallout season pass as the latest one.

Chris1

MS can revoke licenses near instantly on XB1, if it hasn't started happening today, I doubt it ever will to be honest.

MS usually just soaks up the losses when this type of thing happens. Chances are high they'll just let you keep it, like they always have. The only example people post about revoking is when it happened on PS but they're two different companies with two different ways of treating price errors in the past.

Still shows me as having it on xbox.com, so hopefully im good since it didn't finish downloading before bed.

if it gets taken away though it won't be a big deal. I have it on pc, though i don't really play pc games :(

Thewonandonly

I don't think Microsoft will revoke the license. They got the ball in their court right now. With Sony not showing ps4k if Scorpio is shown in a smart awsome way, then shit Microsoft can have a one two punch of good press. They need this haha

pahamrick

I don't think Microsoft will revoke the license. They got the ball in their court right now. With Sony not showing ps4k if Scorpio is shown in a smart awsome way, then shit Microsoft can have a one two punch of good press. They need this haha

I think the DLC being actually available now (as opposed to when it happened on PSN with the season pass) adds additional complication.

Like I said before, you just know there's a good chunk who owned the base game only grabbed the season pass, got all the DLC, and only relies on the rotating autosaves.

DLC gets revoked, that's dozens / hundreds of hours down the drain and a large group of very vocal upset people.

SURGEdude

I literally am on the last main mission on PS4 via gamefly and this happens. Maybe someday I'll want to replay enough to play the DLC on Bone. Too bad the game itself doesn't compel me much to replay.

I find it kind of hilarious that various news sites are reporting that this will be revoked but their only source is Neowin, whos going off the word of an Xbox customer support rep.

Big Brett

I find it kind of hilarious that various news sites are reporting that this will be revoked but their only source is Neowin, whos going off the word of an Xbox customer support rep.

Also note, there are multiple Xbox customer support reps cited saying that they would absolutely not do this.

the thing is, ever since I installed some mods to check it out, even when I have no mods active, random items will glow highlighted.. I deactivated and deleted all the mods, but still I have blue lockers and ammo boxes all over the place.

anyone else have any experience with this?

InflictedOwned

Neo Member
the thing is, ever since I installed some mods to check it out, even when I have no mods active, random items will glow highlighted.. I deactivated and deleted all the mods, but still I have blue lockers and ammo boxes all over the place.

anyone else have any experience with this?

Pretty sure you have a crafting item marked for search. It highlights containers that have the item you are looking for.

Firecrest

Hmm, I don't know about that. I'm still able to launch and play Amplitude, or maybe they just like me?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
My digital deluxe version is still available. For once I was actually there when something like this happened, please let me keep it!!!

Why is this hilarious?

Shouldn't a Customer Support representative KNOW about how the company wants to deal with the situation so THEY are prepared when they have to deal with the customer?

That's sort of their job....

Started playing today but I got an error that there isn't sufficient space to save? I have no save files whatsoever and over half my hard drive is free space :(

shanafan

Why is this hilarious?

Shouldn't a Customer Support representative KNOW about how the company wants to deal with the situation so THEY are prepared when they have to deal with the customer?

Well, I think the timing was probably an issue for not knowing what the resolution, if any, was going to be at the time. The rep was probably just guessing, and didn't know what the outcome ultimately was going to be. Not their fault, just assuming people wouldn't get free things since issues like this are rare.

Geist-

Why is this hilarious?

That would be false. These guys are not the ones making the decisions and a lot of the time they have to answer a question that they don't really have the answer to. Happens all the time in any large company's customer support, it's easier to reassure a customer with a answer they make up than just tell them "I don't know." Because no one wants them asking for their manager.

Why is this hilarious?

They should, but they don't. It's the reality of working for a giant multinational company. Shit takes a while to filter down to the employees that actually need to know what's going on.

Don't forget, the higher ups actually have to figure out what the hell happened first. Then they need to decide how to react to it. Finally, an email will be sent to support channel management, which will then be passed down to those people in the chat logs.

In the meantime, customer support reps just come up with something instead of saying "I don't know."

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They should, but they don't. It's the reality of working for a giant multinational company. Shit takes a while to filter down to the employees that actually need to know what's going on.

Don't forget, the higher ups actually have to figure out what the hell happened first. Then they need to decide how to react to it. Finally, an email will be sent to support channel management, which will then be passed down to those people in the chat logs.

In the meantime, customer support reps just come up with something instead of saying "I don't know."
Lol I always love those reactions to customer support. Shows who's worked in a big company before. Usually the people who need to know always know last lol.

Lol I always love those reactions to customer support. Shows who's worked in a big company before. Usually the people who need to know always know last lol.

One of the things I learned working for Blockbuster all those years, if I didn't know something that corporate might have been up to I just told the customer that I didn't know. No bullshit. Just say it the way it is. If they get frustrated tell them to call head office.

A lot of people start out in these situations and get nervous about saying they don't have the answer to something so they just say what they think will make the customer happy or the most logical answer given the situation. It's not necessarily the right answer though.

It's tough being at the bottom.

shanafan

I am assuming Fallout 4 and its DLC will get a big boost in the Xbox Store's June top "sellers".

Probably not for the short window of the error. And I would imagine the large base of Xbox One players had no idea about the error. Really had to be on the top of your Twitter and NeoGAF game yesterday to hear about it ;)

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Why is this hilarious?

Does Microsoft even have their own support staff? Typically these are outsourced to Poland, India and Brasil, where giant support centers work for every major company at the same time. Depending on time you get connected to one of those centers. They have their daily briefings but they can't react to realtime events like this.

Aselith

Why is this hilarious?

As someone in customer service, not really. I mean word should be filtering down about big stuff but things that effect a small percentage of people, you often don't hear about at all. Since it was getting news stories, they might get an email but that's after they had been asked about it of course.

Customer service is like any other corporate entity, you hear about some stuff but the brass aren't giving you a run down for anything that happens just because you might get asked. And if they are third party vendors, they're even less likely to be kept informed.

Koh

I'm surprised more companies (any?) don't turn glitches like this into positive pub. Microsoft could come right out and tweet/fb post that this was a glitch, but they value their customers and will allow everyone who purchased during the free window to keep the game.

This would make headlines on most media outlets that Microsoft cares about and whatever they would need to ship off to Bethesda would be a drop in the bucket compared to the free advertising and goodwill they would get from honoring the price.

Think of the people who would see the publicity and be frustrated they missed it. There's always going to be some group pissed off.

Furthermore, it focuses people into watching and reacting to price errors. If you establish a precedence of leaving it, people who thought "it's not worth it, they will just take it away" will go for it too.

Thetinman

Wouldn't revoking the licenses after this much time has past for people who already owned the game who may have put in 30,40,50, or even 80 hours ruin their saves making them have to put out the 49.99 to finish the game?

Geist-

Wouldn't revoking the licenses after this much time has past for people who already owned the game who may have put in 30,40,50, or even 80 hours ruin their saves making them have to put out the 49.99 to finish the game?
I don't think that matters much to Bethesda or Microsoft, but it does seem like if they were going to do it, they would have already.

Top Bottom