• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

JackMcGunns

And you didn't need to reply to me without reading the question and answer given, but you did, and then kept going. I'd have happily skipped off into the next thread

What is your problem? You need to chill man. "Jesus you MS fans" assuming everyone is just blind to the fact that other company's approach is to NOT offer BC and instead create a scenario where you have to re-buy game remasters for the newer generation console, whereas the majority of games are available and even enhanced for Series X for free. You don't have to be an Xbox fan to see that, but I guess it takes an ANTI-XBOX attitude to NOT see this trend.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What is your problem? You need to chill man. "Jesus you MS fans" assuming everyone is just blind to the fact that other company's approach is to NOT offer BC and instead create a scenario where you have to re-buy game remasters for the newer generation console, whereas the majority of games are available and even enhanced for Series X for free. You don't have to be an Xbox fan to see that, but I guess it takes an ANTI-XBOX attitude to NOT see this trend.
I blame a lot of the game industry's problems on Xbox and Microsoft actually. They're incompetence has made them irrelevant and has made Sony lazy (although still relevant). If Microsoft had made proper decisions for the Xbox brand, such as putting the right people in charge, not allowing people like Aaron Greenberg, Matt Booty, Bonnie Ross and Phil Spencer to let the brand languish in nothing, actually utilizing their acquisitions the game industry would be infinitely more healthy. They had competent people like Rod Fergusson and Pete Hines who the let walk. I guarantee they could have done a better job in utilizing Microsoft's resources and not have put them in a position where Phil had to use big daddy Nadella's war chest to buy up big brands like ABK.

Last edited:

twilo99

Alright, I obviously don’t know the prerequisites for a video game to be considered a “remaster” .. what are they?

Last edited:

King Dazzar

The X1X enhancements were great and the addition of auto HDR with XSX too. But since then it's fizzled out, which is a shame. The only other thing I would point out, is that the likes of TLOU Pt2 remaster, had far more to it than any of the X1X enhancements and only cost a tenner. So for me its swings and roundabouts.

But to be clear, if this update is done well, then it'll without doubt get my praise. Especially as there's more to this in terms of in game options being added, at least thats my understanding. However they are incentivising themselves by also pushing more paid dlc with the update too via Creation Club (again that's my understanding at least).

King Dazzar

Alright, I obviously don’t know the prerequisites for a video game to be considered a “remaster” .. what are they?
For me, X1X enhancements and auto HDR are superb "enhancements" or "updates", but they aren't remasters. But the effort of what goes into a remaster varies a lot.....

The X1X enhancements were great and the addition of auto HDR with XSX too. But since then it's fizzled out, which is a shame. The only other thing I would point out, is that the likes of TLOU Pt2 remaster, had far more to it than any of the X1X enhancements and only cost a tenner. So for me its swings and roundabouts.

But to be clear, if this update is done well, then it'll without doubt get my praise. Especially as there's more to this in terms of in game options being added, at least thats my understanding. However they are incentivising themselves by also pushing more paid dlc with the update too via Creation Club (again that's my understanding at least).
Gears 5 would disagree.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Hope this works on ps plus version. I just tried to buy it on sale and it just says I already own the game.

Oh and is the season pass worth it? 11.99 on sale.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Hope this works on ps plus version. I just tried to buy it on sale and it just says I already own the game.
Oooh so that's how I have it on the store! I knew I didn't buy it lol I'm gonna assume it's not going to work as it's a different client and not a patch

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I hate this new 5pm/6pm launch time shit when the game isn't online.

What happened to midnight locally?

I mean .. this isn't a game launch, just an update. It's probably going to be pushed to the servers globally at the same time.

Oh and is the season pass worth it? 11.99 on sale.

The GoTY version was on sale for both Xbox and PS for just $9.99 a few days ago (not sure if it still is). Getting the season pass or DLC separately was far more expensive lol, so I picked it up the last time it all went to that price.

The whole PS+ license thing is weird, at least on Xbox you can buy any game on game pass without hassle. Hope this works for PS+ peeps day 1 without any issue.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I hate this new 5pm/6pm launch time shit when the game isn't online.

What happened to midnight locally?
Updates drop worldwide, they can't easily offer an update on per timezone basis.

They just publish the update to all owners and that's all, same for Steam or any game client since forever.

It's not a new game or SKU, just an update.

Saiyan-Rox

I mean .. this isn't a game launch, just an update. It's probably going to be pushed to the servers globally at the same time.

The GoTY version was on sale for both Xbox and PS for just $9.99 a few days ago (not sure if it still is). Getting the season pass or DLC separately was far more expensive lol, so I picked it up the last time it all went to that price.

The whole PS+ license thing is weird, at least on Xbox you can buy any game on game pass without hassle. Hope this works for PS+ peeps day 1 without any issue.

Updates drop worldwide, they can't easily offer an update on per timezone basis.

They just publish the update to all owners and that's all, same for Steam or any game client since forever.

It's not a new game or SKU, just an update.

It's not a patch though it's a native app so should be on the servers already like a new release

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm going to regret asking. But care to expand?

Gears 5 got a pretty substantial update for SX / SS

- 120hz support for MP
- Redone textures, graphical effects, assets and even an early form of ray traced global illumination (which wasn't even on the PC version at the time it came to Xbox)
- cut the input latency almost in half from the games One X version

It's not a patch though it's a native app so should be on the servers already like a new release

Lots of new games also have simultaneous global launches, so it's not really a big deal IMO.

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
On Xbox a game can become a native app with just an update (Sea of Thieves did recently, it was just Gen9Aware before), that's why "Smart Delivery" exists, it just deliver the right version to the right hardware.

On PS it's another story, it may need to be a different SKU, thus a separate game.
EDIT : Or it could be an update to the PS4 version which runs better on PS5, weren't there games that got a PS5 update while staying a PS4 game ?

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Gears 5 got a pretty substantial update for SX / SS

- 120hz support for MP
- Redone textures, graphical effects, assets and even an early form of ray traced global illumination (which wasn't even on the PC version at the time it came to Xbox)
- cut the input latency almost in half from the games One X version
Yeah, I remember loving it in the early days of the XSX and the DLC too. But yeah, I still stand by what I said though... i.e all the good stuff seemed to fizzle out for me. Xbox did some great things with updates.

I blame a lot of the game industry's problems on Xbox and Microsoft actually. They're incompetence has made them irrelevant and has made Sony lazy (although still relevant). If Microsoft had made proper decisions for the Xbox brand, such as putting the right people in charge, not allowing people like Aaron Greenberg, Matt Booty, Bonnie Ross and Phil Spencer to let the brand languish in nothing, actually utilizing their acquisitions the game industry would be infinitely more healthy. They had competent people like Rod Fergusson and Pete Hines who the let walk. I guarantee they could have done a better job in utilizing Microsoft's resources and not have put them in a position where Phil had to use big daddy Nadella's war chest to buy up big brands like ABK.
Oh, good Lord... :rolleyes:

Not that it matters anyway, tho right? Since you don't play on Xbox and have no plans to. Why bother even commenting

buenoblue

Yeah I have no problem buying the game but the PSN store won't let me, so it better work with the ps plus version lol

JackMcGunns

Did you just blame MS for not putting restraints on other companies to stop them from doing shitty stuff? That's a new one I must say.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

If you think about it, MS' incompetence is also one of the reasons PC has become more relevant. MS had to create Gamepass and then put their exclusive games on PC day 1 through Gamepass PC...which led to Sony eventually putting their exclusive games also on PC (though not day one). If anything the PC crowd should be grateful that MS (and to some extent Sony) has been incompetent these last several years.

Dazraell

Is it only me who finds really suspicious and concerning that Bethesda hasn't even bothered to release any screens, trailers or even a full release notes of enhancements between the announcement and now?

Last edited:
Does anyone remember if the Skyrim update for PS5/XB was free if you owned the game at the time? Or did you have to pay for it regardless?
It was part of the re-release Special Edition. I’m pretty sure you had to pay for the upgrade, if you already owned it. At the time free native next-gen patches hadn't really become a thing, yet. 2016 was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Anything for people who doesn't give a crap about mods?

edit: ok nothing else other than bugfixes.
60 FPS mode and improved resolution/ draw distance, etc. As you'll recall, the original game released on base Xbox One/ PS4, and was 30 FPS at best, and only 1080p at the most.

I'd wait for the Digital Fountry analysis.

Last edited:
Is it only me who finds really suspicious and concerning that Bethesda hasn't even bothered to release any screens, trailers or even a full release notes of enhancements between the announcement and now?
Suspicious and concerning? It’s free. And, they spent years on it. So no I don’t assume the absolutely worst in the most cynical way possible

Dazraell

Suspicious and concerning? It’s free. And, they spent years on it. So no I don’t assume the absolutely worst in the most cynical way possible
I mean, CD Projekt did dev streams and trailers for both Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 next-gen updates and both were also for free. I believe they even did press event for Witcher 3 next-gen patch

I'm not being cynical but silence and lack of communication is especially odd considering the newfound popularity for Fallout cause of TV series. You would expect them making a much bigger deal about it

Top Bottom