• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

Diddy X

Bugfixes can be a good thing for PC is they really fixed a lot of bugs, I think the last time I played the game I got a crash and never touched it again.

This is native PS5 and X version, so its not just an update. I wonder if they add more than just framerate and resolution boost.
It's more a difference of semantics. Like, yes it is an update. It's updating the game to a native app for PS5/ Series X|S. It's a basic update, just improving frame-rate, resolution, likely draw distance as well. It is free after all 🤷‍♂️. If there was anything more to it, they would've said.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

You always say that LordBritish. You always say "I have a bad feeling about this update."
Well, it is Bethesda....
Scared Crystal Ball GIF by goodfortunesonly

Leave it to someone on gaf to complain about the timing of a free update. I hope they hold it back a week just to tech you not to whine.
Yeah, but you're moaning about him moaning, so I'm now going to moan at you moaning about the moaning, he was moaning about! Sorry where were we....

I mean, CD Projekt did dev streams and trailers for both Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 next-gen updates and both were also for free. I believe they even did press event for Witcher 3 next-gen patch

I'm not being cynical but silence and lack of communication is especially odd considering the newfound popularity for Fallout cause of TV series. You would expect them making a much bigger deal about it
Seems typical Bethesda fashion. They didn't show anything of Skyrim 2016 update until like the very last minute.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well, it is Bethesda....
Scared Crystal Ball GIF by goodfortunesonly

Yeah, but you're moaning about him moaning, so I'm now going to moan at you moaning about the moaning, he was moaning about! Sorry where were we....

I'm going to break the cycle and endorse your moaning about my moaning about his moaning! 😁

Dazraell

Seems typical Bethesda fashion. They didn't show anything of Skyrim 2016 update until like the very last minute.
Well, out of curiosity I did some checking and Special Edition launched on October 28th 2016. The update itself was announced in June 2016. Quick check on YT gave me two trailers showcasing it, one was published on October 12th and other one October 21st. Even Anniversary Edition had a trailer showcasing its content a day before official release

Here we got announcement in October 2022 and official reveal on April 11th 2024. They haven't even bothered to do these countdown posts on social media with numbers of days until release. Heck, even official site for Fallout doesn't have any news about it on a front page and everything is all about Fallout 76. It's especially weird considering how long this was in development

Well, out of curiosity I did some checking and Special Edition launched on October 28th 2016. The update itself was announced in June 2016. Quick check on YT gave me two trailers showcasing it, one was published on October 12th and other one October 21st. Even Anniversary Edition had a trailer showcasing its content a day before official release

Here we got announcement in October 2022 and official reveal on April 11th 2024. They haven't even bothered to do these countdown posts on social media with numbers of days until release. Heck, even official site for Fallout doesn't have any news about it on a front page and everything is all about Fallout 76. It's especially weird considering how long this was in development
It’s just an update to improve FPS and resolution. Yeah it’s not like the Skyrim 2016 update when they improved the lighting and a bunch of other things

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It’s just an update to improve FPS and resolution. Yeah it’s not like the Skyrim 2016 update when they improved the lighting and a bunch of other things

They also added haptics and trigger feels for PS5 and there's an additional sidequest that's linked to the TV show.

MAX PAYMENT

Jesus you Microsoft fans lol

Read the post carefully

I answred Microsoft

Now, if that question had said "update" I'd have nothing to go with off the top of my head. Give me a while to think a out it and I'd come up with something I'm sure, including probably Sony!

Yes, they have. I only need to post 1 game that shows this, whether there are more or not doesn't matter. Halo MCC contains Halo Anniversary (a remaster) which was a paid game. It contained Halo 2 Anniversary (a remaster), a paid game. The MCC itself is a paid game. That'd 3 games. I'm done, my burden of proof is fulfilled. I don't need to post every game as that wasn't the question asked

Exactly, a remaster

But the original question was regarding remasters, not updates

Exactly, we agree, thank you

You can't read and also get your definition of remasters completely wrong. The wiki article you quoted even states, "There are 633 games that have been made backward compatible out of 2,155 that have been released for Xbox 360"

As much as Microsoft/Xbox like to come up with all these strange metrics and words to describe things, backwards compatable updates are not remasters lol

Exactly. We agree. But that wasn't the question asked

Now that we've all had a quick lesson in reading and what the difference between "update" and "remaster" is, you can go back to playing on your Xbox's and Microsoft PC's

@JackMcGunns , please see above!
Wow at the effort made here to dimish a mild Microsoft win.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When do we expect it to be out?

• North America: 9am PDT / 10am MDT / 11am CDT / 12pm EDT
  • UK/Ire: 5pm BST
  • Europe: 6pm CEST / 7pm EEST
  • Asia/Oceania: 1am JST / 12am AWST / 2am AEST

I blame a lot of the game industry's problems on Xbox and Microsoft actually. They're incompetence has made them irrelevant and has made Sony lazy (although still relevant). If Microsoft had made proper decisions for the Xbox brand, such as putting the right people in charge, not allowing people like Aaron Greenberg, Matt Booty, Bonnie Ross and Phil Spencer to let the brand languish in nothing, actually utilizing their acquisitions the game industry would be infinitely more healthy. They had competent people like Rod Fergusson and Pete Hines who the let walk. I guarantee they could have done a better job in utilizing Microsoft's resources and not have put them in a position where Phil had to use big daddy Nadella's war chest to buy up big brands like ABK.

Old_Man_Yells_at_cloud_cover.jpg

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Good god the lighting in this game’s interiors looks hideous on consoles.

Probably too difficult for Bethesda to increase the ambient occlusion setting in only 9 years.

Cyberpunkd

It will be Steam Deck verified - does that mean they will fix the OLED model bug that halves the FPS? It’s already fixed by editing one INI parameter, but of course Bethesda never bothered all these years.

FUBARx89

yea right... fallout tv show hype train... release fallout 4 on ios and android soon lol, oh and switch
At least the first port they did of Skyrim had enhanced visuals etc. They've announced what? Wide screen support on PC and a toggle between performance and quality on console, so might get PC high settings on console. Amazing 🙄.

Dr.Morris79

I don't get this. The game was never an X/S game. I've just reinstalled it on my standard Xbox drive and it's come up that it needs to be transferred to the internal drive, meaning at some point it's already been patched to the X/S..

The X/S patch was supposed to be released at 5pm tonight? How is it X/S already? :pie_thinking:

Portugeezer

I don't get this. The game was never an X/S game. I've just reinstalled it on my standard Xbox drive and it's come up that it needs to be transferred to the internal drive, meaning at some point it's already been patched to the X/S..

The X/S patch was supposed to be released at 5pm tonight? How is it X/S already? :pie_thinking:
It had the special backwards compatibility on X/S (forgot what it's called). It must have been treated as a native app for that.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

I guess only the metadata defining the game on the Store were updated for now.

kazooie___

Neo Member
It will be Steam Deck verified - does that mean they will fix the OLED model bug that halves the FPS? It’s already fixed by editing one INI parameter, but of course Bethesda never bothered all these years.
I have been playing just fine for the last 2 months, 90fps with some drops here and there but stable most of the time. It's true that there was a proton update that reduced drastically the FPS but was fixed in the next release.

Cyberpunkd

I have been playing just fine for the last 2 months, 90fps with some drops here and there but stable most of the time. It's true that there was a proton update that reduced drastically the FPS but was fixed in the next release.
There is no way you are getting anything close to 90FPS on the Deck, even with everything turned down. The game cannot hold stable 60FPS.

What settings? I've seen a bunch of videos on performance for deck and it looks like a good 40fps or even 45fps game. Looks like it drops too frequently to run solid 60.

AJBungah

Neo Member
Does anyone know if Fallout 4 on PS5 contains the high resolution texture pack? This was an official optional download that was available on PS4 Pro a few years back but I can't find it at all on PS5.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
pretty much will be like skyrim and everyone will be disapointed

60 fps without have to use unoficial mods is all I expect

And maybe a higher level of PC-equivalent pre-sets. They haven't said expect any kind of graphical overhaul so anyone going in expecting more is just going to be disappointed.

That being said, you can already 'mod' PC equivalent ultra settings on console too, so it just looks like they're rolling those things in officially.

Mephisto40

Does anyone know if Fallout 4 on PS5 contains the high resolution texture pack? This was an official optional download that was available on PS4 Pro a few years back but I can't find it at all on PS5.
My guess is it'll be part of the PS5 base game

Would be a little bit silly of them to give us a graphics mode, but keep the textures at 720p

Last edited:
Did you just blame MS for not putting restraints on other companies to stop them from doing shitty stuff? That's a new one I must say.

Sadly that’s not a new take on GAF. You’ll see people blame MS for everything, even things Sony does. It’s MS’s fault Sony charges for online play and puts their games on PC. And as you just read, Xbox is apparently responsible for Sony becoming “lazy”.

At the same time these people will type novels about how irrelevant and dead Xbox is. It’s a weird take.

TVexperto

Its insane how awful Microsoft and Bethesda are at utilizing the incredible PR they have from the fallout show to promote this patch...they are literally doing NOTHING again

Top Bottom