• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Banned
In regards to the engine -- isn't GameByro/Creation Engine the only thing capable of running the game of this structure for Bethesda? I know a lot of people keep bringing up The Witcher 3 or other open world games, but those are totally different in terms of structure and don't necessarily contain the same volume of content and objects scattered within the world, which is largely seamless in its traversal.

Can anyone with knowledge of the engine elaborate further? I know GameByro gets a lot of flak, but there doesn't seem to be much options for them to use to retain the essence and structure of their games.

Thriller

Im looking forward to this game more and more, I'm going to experience the shit out of it and if there is a trophy for opening every locker/cupboard I'm going to get it :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This thread's embarrassing. Not only are those screens compressed jpgs, seemingly with gamma issues, but there are a ton of comparisons being made to other titles that aren't really comparable to a Bethesda game in the combination of movable physics governed objects (let's also keep in mind that large areas of the game are completely customizable and modular now), lots of AI routines, background systems, player customization, day/night cycle, etc. The Witcher 3 has much less happening at any given time (one of the reasons it looks better no doubt) and was/is just as buggy as any Bethesda title.

I'm no Bethesda defender, hell I barely like their games at all, and no I don't think this game looks great visually, but some of these responses....smh

You've been on a roll lately with how much I agree with you.

Since these shots are from a PS4, and Fallout 4 has a marketing deal with Microsoft, I expect the Xbox One version to look far superior. Remember how Assassin's Creed Unity and The Witcher 3 ran much better on Xbox? It's just cheap marketing tactics from Microsoft in order to get some holiday sales for their failing console.

/s

robotrock

Banned
I really like the look of it. The art style looks great.

Yeah definitely. Should look really good.
Since these shots are from a PS4, and Fallout 4 has a marketing deal with Microsoft, I expect the Xbox One version to look far superior. Remember how Assassin's Creed Unity and The Witcher 3 ran much better on Xbox? It's just cheap marketing tactics from Microsoft in order to get some holiday sales for their failing console.
I think that was about all those fancy CPU shenanigans.

Lulubop

oh lord

DjRalford

That is, one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read, no developer will willingly cock up their franchise on a console with such a large install base, deals or no deals.

This thread's embarrassing. Not only are those screens compressed jpgs, seemingly with gamma issues, but there are a ton of comparisons being made to other titles that aren't really comparable to a Bethesda game in the combination of movable physics governed objects (let's also keep in mind that large areas of the game are completely customizable and modular now), lots of AI routines, background systems, player customization, day/night cycle, etc. The Witcher 3 has much less happening at any given time (one of the reasons it looks better no doubt) and was/is just as buggy as any Bethesda title.

I'm no Bethesda defender, hell I barely like their games at all, and no I don't think this game looks great visually, but some of these responses....smh
You're alright in my books.

tuxfool

Banned
In regards to the engine -- isn't GameByro/Creation Engine the only thing capable of running the game of this structure for Bethesda? I know a lot of people keep bringing up The Witcher 3 or other open world games, but those are totally different in terms of structure and don't necessarily contain the same volume of content and objects scattered within the world, which is largely seamless in its traversal.

Can anyone with knowledge of the engine elaborate further? I know GameByro gets a lot of flak, but there doesn't seem to be much options for them to use to retain the essence and structure of their games.

There is absolutely no reason they couldn't develop a more modern engine with the same capabilities. CDPR did it for RedEngine3, Epic did it in UE4, Frostbite is constantly improving, as is CryEngine.

This engine is seriously crufty.It is absolutely true that their entire object system is vital for modding and their renderer has been patched up for more modern graphics effects, but even their PBR pipeline is providing a seriously unimpressive showing.

You forgot the /s

I hope you're being sarcastic

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its fun to be outraged at things instead of think logically though. Bethesda likes the engine for what it can do in regards to creation of content and low level of pipeline bloat.

For a majority of systems it runs easily as well in practice with minimal issues.

Its hard to reconcile all that with fans who cry about "30fps is just for shitty devs who want pretty screenshots!" yet also bitch about bad graphics alone for 30+ pages. Take note and move on. Bethesda isn't changing their ways

There is absolutely no reason they couldn't develop a more modern engine with the same capabilities. CDPR did it for RedEngine3, Epic did it in UE4, Frostbite is constantly improving, as is CryEngine.

This engine is seriously crufty.

Except for the fact that they want to actually develop their game in the large amount of time it would take to actually make a modern engine from scratch, which no dev in their right mind would do(that includes Capcom and Square Enix), at the same time that it would introduce a whole new raft of compatibility and bug issues.

Epic, Crytek have been engine developers, publishers, and sellers for over 20 years, and REDengine3 is still just an upgraded red engine 2 which does nowhere near the amount of things Fallout does.

It's also what their world builders are great at, and what their colossal modding community (one of the biggest, if not the biggest, reason their games remain relevant, played, and purchased for so long after launch) has become accustomed to. It doesn't look great at launch (or on console), but the level of versatility this engine offers is staggering.

Won't be long before it looks industry-leading on PC, just like with Skyrim:

60220-3-1420002086.gif

60220-4-1417741091.gif

Well said.

Cloyster

Banned
Does she have a low polygon-count face with low resolution textures? There's nothing subjective about graphics technology.

I don't wish to offend anyone, but people who pretend FO4 graphics are technically up-to-date are kidding themselves. It's perfectly well to claim it has be that way because of the scope of the game, or that you find it artistically or overall beautiful despite its graphical shortcomings.

No one, (or at least not me) is arguing that FO4's graphics look up-to-date. You are right, graphics technology is not subjective.

What is subjective is equating up to date graphics with attractiveness or ugliness.

I could think Super Mario 64 looks beautiful for all you know.

tuxfool

Banned
Except for the fact that they want to actually develop their game in the large amount of time it would take to actually make a modern engine from scratch, which no dev in their right mind would do(that includes Capcom and Square Enix), at the same time that it would introduce a whole new raft of compatibility and bug issues.

So, what? Their solution is simply to patch the holes in their leaky boat and call it a day? This engine is *old*

lol this thread has gone insane and taken us all with it

Hoje0308

Banned

I really hope you don't vote or have children.

Forgot the /s
Sorry

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Doesn't really look too great but i can't remember the last time I heard someone say "Omg i was playing fallout and this one scene/badguy/gun/explosion looked so fucking cool my eyes started bleeding!!!"

Everyone is always doing cartwheels over burning a tree guy or nuking a friendly sheriff or saving a zombie/ghoul/mutant lady of the night and having her "repay" your kindness or some such craziness. Gonna sell gangbusters, obviously.

Probably time to switch engines though.

That is, one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read, no developer will willingly cock up their franchise on a console with such a large install base, deals or no deals.

HAHA.. i love this. Gonna tell the lady she cocked up dinner this weekend fo sho.

You guys... I really should have put an /s there. Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass what the game looks like. I'm a huge fan of WRPGs and I'm just glad to have a really good one to play real soon.

Cloyster

Banned

mns.gif

Except your point still isn't really that good because you, like several other people in the thread act like game developers have to check specific boxes, and are required by the laws of gaming to allocate as much resource as equally possibly to all these different places.

In other words, you think it's a REQUIREMENT that Bethesda games should have amazing mindblowing graphics, because it's a post-apoc game that makes millions.

Have you ever considered that MAYBE, they don't care about the graphics as much, because they know most of the fans don't either? Yes, it would be nice if Fallout had great graphics, but it didn't the last two times, and it doesn't now.

They added a full, dynamic extremely in-depth crafting and building system, where almost every single physical asset in the game can be picked up, rearranged, or given a purpose in gameplay. They've completely retooled the way combat and stats work. This game has 100s and 100s of NPCs, all with stats and items and behavior patterns that need to be accounted for. They literally spent over 2 years of doing the protagonist recording lines. This game has over 111,000 voiced lines, to ensure that the game delivers the same level of freedom of choice that Fallout fans have come to expect. More than Fallout 3 and Skyrim combined. They have gone above and beyond to ensure that this is an exciting, full game with a huge world.

None of those are good excuses. Beautiful open world games have already been achieved, and there's a lot of space between this game and something like The Witcher 3.

You should not view those things Cloyster mentioned as 'excuses' so much as 'design priorities'.
Fallout is keeping track of the movements of a world with a staggering amount of individual moving parts including

- each and every physical 3D physics item that each street, field, building, etc. in the game holds
- hundreds of NPCs with unique faces and schedules, covered in yet more physical items via their layered clothing/armor/weapons
- the individual rubble, homes/buildings, and other elements that can be torn down for supplies

and the game is rendering those things individually - every piece of loot, every chair or shelf or fridge and everything therein is its own 'thing'

You do realize there are performance tradeoffs right? Look up draw calls in relation to performance.
A Bethesda game has a massive amount of draw calls because almost every object is dynamic (meaning it is not baked into the environment thus saving draw calls).
Every single mesh that can be moved is a draw call and if they don't use texture atlasing then you can say that every single mesh is 2 draw calls (mesh and material). But wait then you have to add shadows which, depending on the method can add at least 1 more draw call.
So lets say they use texture atlasing for all the small objects. That still means that there are at least 2 draw calls per movable object. Remember that just about everything in the game can be moved (everything that isn't is likely batched into one big mesh to save on draw calls when possible).
Walk into a house in FO:NV and you might find 50 objects you can mess with. Thats at bare minimum 100 but more than likely closer to 200 draw calls, then you have to take into account the draw calls the house itself and all the non movable objects that are not batched. The UI itself is probable 3 or more draw calls.
Beyond that you also have the character and weapon (likely 10 draw calls) and any enemies which would be 4-10 draw calls each. Add into that the draw calls from outside the house which depending on LOD distance can balloon out into 2000+ easy if there is grass and trees.
Culling can help with some of the draw calls but it has its own performance cost.
Now with all of this we still haven't gotten to post processing, Textures sizes, AI, scripting, physics (Beth games have dynamic physics which eats the CPU like nothing), and the lighting engine.
Are there multiple lights in the house casting multiple shadows? Whelp if there are then you can go ahead and double your shadow draw calls.

Do you not see how a Beth style game balloons out into a performance nightmare?

How do other games look so good (Witcher 3)?

Well they use a hell of a lot of static assets that can be batched (combined in both mesh and texture) to vastly limit draw calls which allows them to have better "graphics". Ever notice how almost all loot in the witcher games is found in chests? Well, that is another way to limit draw calls, keeping dynamic objects off the map (lower draw calls, lower physics budget, ect).

People need to educate themselves on how games are made before they start frothing at the mouth over OMG bad graphics. Not every game has the same base, or even the same goals.

so the reason an open world game like Witcher 3 looks so good, relatively speaking (besides a solid and cohesive art style and a much more conducive type of setting to work with), is because its loot is 2D art with text descriptions, and not physical objects being tracked in the open world, and because when you walk into a house in Witcher 3, generally the individual scene decorations are going to be static grouped decorations as a single asset. For what a game like this is doing with its underlying systems, and the unique way it enables the devs to decorate scenes and contextualize every part of the physical world, I think the way the game looks is well within reason.

This engine is seriously crufty. It is absolutely true that their entire object system is vital for modding and their renderer has been patched up for more modern graphics effects, but even their PBR pipeline is providing a seriously unimpressive showing.

RedEngine 3 is an iteration on the engine CDPR has been using and improving since The Witcher 1, and not to dismiss the tremendous work they put in toward achieving their open world, but the game doesn't look or play all that different from Witcher 2 outside of the open world mechanics and some combat rejiggering, so I'm not sure why you posit that as a huge game changing engine revision. And the other 3 engines you mentioned are game engines designed foremost for licensing or intercompany development, engines that particularly hinge on their ability to produce competitive and industry leading visuals.

I think that as long as this game runs considerably better and more consistently than previous iterations while looking the way it does (considering the things I mentioned in the above post), it will represent a reasonable advancement for the engine.

Your right. My post does seem childish now reading some of these post.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, what? Their solution is simply to patch the holes in their leaky boat and call it a day? This engine is *old*

Yeah, sure. Unless people care about visuals *so much* that they are completely dismissive of what the underlying game offers, that's what their priority is, upgrading their engine in ways beyond visuals.

I don't even understand the point in bringing up engine developers specifically either, Epic were working on UE3 for like 10 years, and UE4 for another 10 years, no self respecting dev should be expected to follow Epic's example, not every dev can do that in regards to resources, information on engine building, and whathaveyou. And more importantly, not every dev wants to do that to begin with, hence tons of engine licensing going around all the time.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
That is would make it better than the ps4 version...

Surely you know how much better that card is than the ps4 GPU?

Seriously!

It's also like some people don't realize how much more powerful current PCs are than consoles. A PC equipped with a GPU analogous to a GTX 960 would offer significantly superior graphics. Even with less compression and full RGB color spectrum you are not going to make up for much worse IQ, AO, LOD, shadow and shader quality. A 4K screenshot is an extreme case as it would take a very beefy rig to run it at those resolutions, but even at 1080p you can see huge differences between console and PCs at high settings.

???

A 7950 would offer superior performance to a PS4 at 1080p, and you should be able to turn up the graphics settings beyond what the consoles offer. The biggest problem would be memory capacity, but not all games require more than 2Gb.

I admittedly don't know much about PC games. I just figured since I bought this card 2 or 3 years ago that it wouldn't hold up that great. You guys have certainly given me something to think about. Glad I posted in here.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Well yea, iterating on as well as heavily modifying an older engine that suits their needs is a good solution compared to ditching it altogether and having to risk a product having a ton more kinks since it's the first game with a brand new engine altogether. That can lead to development hell.

Venom Fox

Banned
None of those are good excuses. Beautiful open world games have already been achieved, and there's a lot of space between this game and something like The Witcher 3.
Seriously, go and read a few knowledgeable posts in this very thread. The Witcher 3 (an excellent game) has nothing on FO4 in terms of objects, AI and generally the sheer amount of stuff you can do in game.

There's no point comparing TW3 and FO4 unless you have the knowledge of technical side of things.

I'm just hoping the structures/landscapes design and the atmosphere is on point so that it detracts a bit from the graphics. I'm not even a fan of fallout 3 and I played it on PC, yet I bought into the hype yesterday and ended up pre-ordering it for 80$ on PS4. I possibly made a mistake. a 80$ mistake.

Lulubop

You guys... I really should have put an /s there. Honestly, I don't give a rat's ass what the game looks like. I'm a huge fan of WRPGs and I'm just glad to have a really good one to play real soon.

Yea ok, nice save bro.

What the hell were people expecting? The game will be fantastic. If you're so worried about graphics don't play it until mods come out

This is a screenshot thread, we are discussing the said screenshot. Stop being defensive man.

boskee

Seriously, go and read a few knowledgeable posts in this very thread. The Witcher 3 (an excellent game) has nothing on FO4 in terms of objects, AI and generally the sheer amount of stuff you can do in game.

There's no point comparing TW3 and FO4 unless you have the knowledge of technical side of things.

And you know all those technical details from? I'd love to learn how AI in FO4 is superior to say TW3. Can you point me to a source?

Takuan

I mean, it looks the same as it's always looked, draw distance aside. Some shots are definitely less flattering than others, for sure, and some really do look like shit. Not concerned because it looks good enough for me and mods will only make it look better.

DjRalford

urgh, i did want to get this on PS4 at first, but now i'm thinking PC would be a better bet.

Hopefully my HD7970 Will hold up until i upgrade when the new GPU's release next year, its paired with a 4790k @ 4.6ghz and 16GB ram, so i should be good, right,,,,,right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom