• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrates

PS4 .png's

Thanks Shinobi, always a good thing when you get involved! Good to have eyes on some uncompressed pics. My opinion however is that so long as the graphics are reasonable I don't care. All about the sense of adventure for me and that's what Bethesda delivers without fail.

Shinobi on a completely separate note, have you got anything planned for N7 Day next weekend.

Denton

PS4 .png's

Fallout4_20151031144856.png

Fallout4_20151031142801.png

Fallout4_20151031144429.png

Fallout4_20151031145033.png

Fallout4_20151031144407.png

These look quite nice. I think as long as one does not look too much into distance the game will look fine. The distant lack of shadows and AO will hopefully be fixed on PC.

Nucks

Neo Member
Except it was my, completely vanilla unmodded, screenshot of the first thing player sees after getting out the vault.

I'm not saying you're lying and have any visual mods installed, but the font on the UI is different from the vanilla UI, so you have to have something changed.

Man i actually am shocked. How can it look this different? Wasn't the only difference that the first ones were JPG and the new ones PNG? Man my enthusiasm was somewhat down, but it's right back up again. It looks really damn nice. Especially the light coming out of the vault.

Well, those are arranged carefully to not show off the primary faults (draw distance, LoD, shadow rendering distance) of the OP images.

I don't think it has anything to do with the image file format :p

This is correct. Although anybody expecting the consoles to throw details and shadows way out into the distance are fooling themselves.

Edit: By "way out in the distance" I mean more than like 30 feet.

Durante

How much you wanna bet this don't look leaps and bounds better on PC without enthusiast super high end hardware that costs over a grand?
"Leaps and bounds" is a rather unspecific metric, but I'm certainly willing to bet that you don't need enthusiast-class hardware to mitigate some of the more distracting drawbacks identified in these shots (that is, draw distance for clutter/foliage; ambient occlusion; shadows).

Man i actually am shocked. How can it look this different? Wasn't the only difference that the first ones were JPG and the new ones PNG?
Arranging screenshots is almost like arranging a photograph. It's an art form. Just look at the screenshot thread ;)

Copper

Texture quality is really bad. Little hope they will be improved on PC.

It's a good thing we have mods. I'm sure the PC textures will be better. Maybe they will release DLC like with skyrim. That table shot looks pretty rough though.

Ullus

Would be nice if someone who has the game could take a couple of screens from the same area as the OP pic during different time of the day, so we can compare.

Denton

I'm not saying you're lying and have any visual mods installed, but the font on the UI is different from the vanilla UI, so you have to have something changed.

Already addressed that above, used Darnified to replace default UI. No effect on rendering.

Jobbs

Banned
I can live with the average graphics but what happened to the colours? It looks so bland now

Bland colors? This is the most colorful game by far that Bethesda has ever made. Fallout 3 and NV were very reserved with their palettes, with FO3 in particular being mostly brown. FO4 looks VERY colorful witu bold primary colors and contrasts.

omonimo

Banned
oh cool this again

please read this post and tell me what you think

and then why don't you find me shots of PS3 or 360 games that are doing anywhere near what this game is doing mechanically while retaining even a solid 720p native image

That's some dumb shit. No they're not, and they're native 720p with very little anti-aliasing on top of that. Don't be a jackass.
I remember this explanation. Still I don't understand how CPU stuff (like the complexity you said repetitively) can influence the graphic tech in the game. Isn't it gpu relative? You don't gain magically more CPU resources using less gpu. Or not that much.

I remember this explanation. Still I don't understand how CPU stuff can influence the graphic tech in the game. Isn't it gpu stuff? You don't gain magically more CPU resources using less gpu. Or maybe just a little bit at the best.

There's an excerpt in that post that explains why the amount of shit going on in Fallout games, and the sheer number of individual moving parts, taxes the GPU as well as the CPU.

Kezen

Banned
It's a good thing we have mods. I'm sure the PC textures will be better. Maybe they will release DLC like with skyrim. That table shot looks pretty rough though.

No doubt modders will have a field day with Fallout 4 and this is why I don't believe texture themselves will be improved, I'm just hoping for better LOD/draw distances and AO.

In any case I'm pumped for the game, got it for 35€ retail.

Wallach

"Leaps and bounds" is a rather unspecific metric, but I'm certainly willing to bet that yo don't need enthusiast-class hardware to mitigate some of the more distracting drawbacks identified in these shots (that is, draw distance for clutter/foliage; ambient occlusion; shadows).

The difference between launch day Skyrim PC v console was pretty fucking large, even before the high-res texture pack was officially released. It's not like resolution, AA, draw distance or shadows are small upgrades, they're probably the most obvious changes in IQ you can make besides texture size. It's not even going to be close if their previous games are any indication.

KingErich

Banned
Still think this was a PS3/360 game that was quietly shifted over to the new consoles when last-gen sales fell off a cliff.

ESO looks better than this.

This 100%

That was the first thought to come to my mind. It looks like they had this queued up for last gen.

One good thing is all the bugs should be worked out since it looks to be a rehash of Fallout 3 with minor tweaks to the engine.

omonimo

Banned
There's an excerpt in that post that explains why the amount of shit going on in Fallout games, and the sheer number of individual moving parts, taxes the GPU as well as the CPU.
How exactly? I mean that's quite improbable the complexity influence the graphic tech used. I repeat it's more a CPU thing here.

Of course, it won't be a contender for the best looking game but I think it looks pretty good. Plus, what happened to the "graphics don't make a game". Take a look at Ryse or Killzone: Shadow Fall; awesome graphics but story and gameplay wise, those two are forgettable.

NBtoaster

Mid-distance detail seems to be the weakest point of the visuals. In the far distance things look ok because of the clustered trees and low lying fog, but if you get a look at a close open area like the shot in the OP its pretty rough.

Alienous

Of course, it won't be a contender for the best looking game but I think it looks pretty good. Plus, what happened to the "graphics don't make a game". Take a look at Ryse or Killzone: Shadow Fall; awesome graphics but story and gameplay wise, those two are forgettable.

Graphics don't make the game, but they do contribute.

Wow, as long as the X1 is too far behind those I'll be delighted!

Same here. But if we are to believe Pete Hines there's pretty much no difference. It's unfortunete that we didn't see Xbox One shots yet, but i guess the reviewers just wanted to try out the PS4 version the most..and of course let's face it, more people with a PS4 than Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom