• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Season Pass: $30, "we dont know what the actual DLC will be yet"

Owzers

People don't like being asked to pre-order a mystery box.

What if it was a mystery box that you know would cost you $40 later? Think of the money you will be saving not the specifics of the content.

I'll probably rent the game from gamefly and ignore all dlc.

Etaber

Fallout 3 DLC (along with probably ME2 DLC) kinda turned me around on the whole DLC thing last gen. If it's anything like that I'm totally fine with a season pass.

I guess one can also wait for "game of the year" edition of the game.

Why do people keep bringing up the obvious? If you care about the game of course you would want to play it ASAP. That's the point of the premium price. If you don't care enough then wait for the GOTY edition.

While I loved playing Fallout 3 and NV DLC, Skyrim's was... lacking. That's really the only thing that has me worried right now is how much DLC we're getting before plonking down thirty dollars.

I don't want it to be just some cheesy construction pack, weapon packs, then like two really sparse story packs and call it good.

New Vegas DLC was probably one of the best ones I've played out of all AAA games last year, so I do have some faith. I think each one gave us new areas to explore, on top of new stories that took a few hours or more to complete. I remember spending days in Dead Money and Old World Blues.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I adore fallout but I'm definitely waiting on this. Very glad to see it might actually be original dlc and not cut content or something.

Pillville

So this could be worth anything from $0 to around the cost they're charging for it.

Tell me again why this is a deal for the consumer?

Because if you don't like (optional) DLC, the base game will probably still be plenty for you.

Because you don't have to buy it now. You can wait until the DLC is actually out and decide to buy a couple individually or get the season pass for everything.

Because based on their previous games, you can pretty safely assume that they will release enough to make it worth your $30.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
People are really gonna pay $30 for promises? This is sucha ridiculous statement. I thought it was a joke.

It's a terrible statement I agree, but there is a track record that I found mostly positive over the last decade with DLC content in their titles. Really shocked that people here were so down on the prior Skyrim and Fallout packs, greatly enjoyed them all even if some were obviously superior. (Hearthfire being the only one I ignored)

come to think of it skyrims dlc was the only ones i didnt play through out of all bethesda's games last gen.

just didnt appeal to me in anyway.

Steroyd

What the fuck, if you have no idea what the DLC is going to be don't fucking sell the season pass, holy fucking shit! What difference is there to selling a season pass 1 month after release, when you can at least hint what you're going to put in.

Joey Ravn

Banned
If you pay me €30, I will provide you guys with my opinions on the DLC released throughout a period of 6 to 12 months. I don't know what I'll think about it yet, though.

MattyG

Banned
Remember when Skyrim was the biggest game ever, and, they only made like, 2 real DLC pieces for the game?
Remember when it was 3 pieces of DLC and they ended up costing $45 total?

I understand peoples' hesitation to pay up front for something that even the company doesn't have concrete plans for, that's a totally valid concern, but you can decide if Bethesda's track record is good enough for you and A) buy it or B) not buy it. Pete Hines isn't kicking your door down to hold a gun to your head and your finger on the purchase button. And these things usually are still available after the DLC releases, so you can wait until it's all out to decide and still reap the benefits of the discount.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Well, at least that means they aren't just ripping content out of the game to sell as DLC, right? They'll have to come up with new stuff, which is what DLC should be for?

jelly

agree.
People looking to be upset. We know they are going to have expansions, so why is a season pass a bad thing?
Especially if they are promising it includes EVERY DLC THEY WILL MAKE. Assuming they keep that promise, that's a lot better than other Season Passes where you only get SOME of the expansions.

Why would you pay for something unknown. Their past doesn't come into it. You're buying on faith which is silly.

You know the company wants to make a profit right, think about what you're giving them for something that isn't made yet and how they work that.

Fucking lol. Nobody should be buying DLC from Bethesda Softworks before knowing what it is, because they don't have an especially good track record.

Lothars

I was referring to the actual quality of their expansions! I have no qualms with buying DLC, but the expansions for those games that I listed...weren't really worth the purcase. Especially in comparison to New Vegas (a game in which all of the DLC ranged from good to fantastic.)
Yes I was to, Quality wise it's top notch especially in Fallout 3 and to a lesser extent Fallout New Vegas.

Have you played a Souls game? So good. I wish more devs aspired to create DLC like that.
Yes and Souls dlc is good but I vastly prefer Bethesda's dlc.

Fucking lol. Nobody should be buying DLC from Bethesda Softworks before knowing what it is, because they don't have an especially good track record.
really? They have a really good trackrecord from all the dlc I played, I shake my head when someone says they don't have a good track record but doesn't back it up with anything.

Fury451

Banned
Yeah; or, at the very least, lie and say that there's a plan. LOL.

Hey, people do want more developer transparency. Maybe not like this, but at least they're honest instead of trying to hide it under the guise of "6 months of content" like Arkham Knight did or worse; defining it only to hear "WHY ISN'T IT IN THE GAME THEN!"

No-win scenario.

Again, they've made up content off the cuff after release before, this isn't new.

I haven't played your game yet, nor do I know whether or not it will be any good, but I've decided to buy the discounted GOTY Edition during a Steam sale
(because fuck your scummy business practices)

Don't worry, I've been doing this for years, it's the norm.

Bethesda doesn't exactly have a good track record with DLC for their Oblivion/Fallout titles.

Operation Anchorage and Broken Steel were the only good Fallout 3 expansions and Skyrim's expansions were laughable, really.

If Op. Anchorage and Broken Steel were good ones, I tremble at the thought of how were the rest.

Sotha_Sil

Bethesda is really the only publisher I've bought DLC/expansions from. Tribunal, Bloodmoon, Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles, Point Lookout, The Pitt, Dawnguard, and Dragonborn were all awesome. And that's just from Bethesda Game Studios. Their record with Dishonored, New Vegas, and Wolfenstein is great as well.

If BGS's expansion/DLC work on Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3, and Skyrim is any indication, this will be the best part of FO4. $30 seems very reasonable to me.

Monster Zero

Lmao, seriously!! They are literally placing value on a product that has not been made or thought of. Amazing, and people are actually going to purchase it. This is mind boggling. I'm trying to make sense of this, but I can't

so fallout 4 costs £70 now?

No. Fallout 4 and all of it's post-launch, completely optional content costs £70. Seriously, are you people new to gaming? SP DLC has been around for quite a while now...

But I do thinking pricing something before you even have anything to price is a little stupid.

TalonJH

Lol, at lest they're honest.

Anyway, not going to buy it but Fallout DLC is usually pretty good in my opinion.

stilgar

LOL this keeps on delivering.

This industry is quickly becoming the worst anti-consumer shithole. But hey, nobody really cares apart from a bunch of youtubers, apparently.

Some guy in a Bethesda Polo shirt just kicked down my door and demanded I give him $15 or else I wouldn't get to play Fallout 4 in Novemver.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
"Shame on you for not using your money in a way /I/ use my money."

Yes, that was exactly my point, and not "shame on you for incentivizing this crap and making the industry I like worse".

Has there ever been evidence shown that Bethesda, or any developer for that matter made a Season Pass for a game without knowing what will be in the content pack beforehand? You don't think the 'we don't know what it'll be' comment is just (poorly worded) PR fodder to prevent spoiling the stories/details of content that's likely in pre-production?

Why the hell would I second guess them when they've come out and said they don't know what they're making?

The lengths some will go to on the internet with their mental gymnastics to defend shit like this is absurd.

Blobbers

This is like if Naughty Dog came to my house and said "Hey, we're making an Uncharted 5 down the line. We don't know what it'll be yet but give us 50 bucks now and you get to play it day 1 when it releases."

What, am I gonna say no? I know I'm gonna get my money's worth so I might as well.

jacobeid

Banned
Bethesda might not know what the actual DLC will be yet but I certainly know that I won't give them a dime until they prove to me that it's worth the $30.

MiguelItUp

I thought people were happy with Bethesda's DLC track record. What happened? Also, the whole "We're doing DLC but have no idea what it is!" thing is very common. As ridiculous as that is. As much as I love Fallout, I'm just going to sit back and observe what happens when it happens.

Kade

I don't mind season passes because you don't have to buy them if you don't want to. It's just a convenience purchase for people who know they want everything. What is shitty though, is that they don't even know what they're releasing as DLC and essentially have a price tag on nothing.

Jeremy

Prediction

Fallout 4 launches with paid mod system for PC/XONE/PS4 to support modders. Bethesda will offer official support to popular mod developers to help work their mod into the game with no problems relating to other mods or breaking the game. The season pass grants you access to all Bethesda official Fallout 4 mods.

This is why they don't know yet...

Yep, thats my beef with season passes. Dont even know what youre going to make but its k, give us the cash
It surprises me that people still don't understand that this is the real issue. Be freakin' clear about what you plan on giving us. Is Nintendo the only one out there that actually lets you know what the future content may hold?

ikimevol

Neo Member
As always the season pass is optional (i know it sucks that company's just want us to feed them money through shit like this) so its no that big of a deal in my opinion. I will probably buy the season pass because more than likely i will end up playing this game for thousands of hours just like i did for every other Bethesda RPG since Morrowind. But that's just me because Bethesda is my second favorite game company out there. If you hate the idea of it then just don't buy it and buy the dlcs as they come out or not at all. I mean skyrim didn't really dlc there's so much shit to do so there will probably be enough stuff to do without dlc

Top Bottom