• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Season Pass: $30, "we dont know what the actual DLC will be yet"

inm8num2

The gaming industry is a parody of itself.

I'd hope that most people don't pre-order based on this nebulous guarantee of $40 worth of content (what Bethesda will charge and what value people will assign to the DLC are not the same). That's not to imply it'll be $40 of horse armor, but that's a mighty leap of faith for people to take...a leap of faith gaming consumers have shown themselves willing to take repeatedly despite lessons to the contrary.

I have never bought a season pass that wasn't part of a game of the year type deal when buying a game a while after release. Not starting here.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Well, this system only works on good faith right?

Fallout 3's primary story wasn't sliced up for DLC, and I don't think Skyrim's was. (I barely played an hour of the base game)

I have to say, for a product I want so badly, I don't understand this behavior. I think it is fairly evident to the world that Bethesda has received more than enough money toward the Fallout brand in the last few months, if not from pre orders than shelters lunch boxes...

I am sure before the game releases they will have more info on it
I usually do not buy passes, just get the DLC I want

I am more concerned that with their new website they are closing the old Bethesda forums.
they are not migrating them, but closing and opening new forums.. some of the people on there have been there 12 years or more.. sad

Levyne

Banned
I did really like the fallout 3 dlc, but I'm still not buying a season pass for something I haven't played yet or has been made yet

Tadale

If there was ever a season pass that I would bet would be worth the money, it's this one. Look at what DLC Bethesda put together for their last three games; they've handled it very well in the past.

Interfectum

I'm not "people"; I'm an individual. At least try using a real argument while defending stuff like this.

If you don't think paying for a product that not even those who will make it know what is isn't ridiculous, be my guest and continue supporting this crap. It'll come back and bite you in the ass sooner or later, though.

To be fair, I highly doubt this is the time one will get "bit in the ass" as Bethesda expansions have been pretty good.

Personally I'm not touching this "season pass" but I don't think there's much risk for Fallout fans who do.

kadotsu

Banned
There are so many good, meaty open world games right now. I can wait for the complete and working version of Fallout 4 which is probably a year away. By then the paid/free mod discussion should be concluded and I know what to get.

It will be glorious if a potential fan patch costs money.

Steroyd

I thought people were happy with Bethesda's DLC track record. What happened? Also, the whole "We're doing DLC but have no idea what it is!" thing is very common. As ridiculous as that is. As much as I love Fallout, I'm just going to sit back and observe what happens when it happens.

You could have the best track record in the world, but that doesn't make it any less silly to put money towards what is literally vapourware right now, at least when Naughty Dog announced their The Last of Us season pass we knew it would be 2 multiplayer expansions and 1 singleplayer expansion.

213372bu

Banned
While "we don't know what the dlc is yet but please lay down your money" is bullshit, this is Fallout, which has a had a track record of some pretty damn good DLC.

Still, not going to pay for a season pass until the first DLC is out. No reason to put my money down now and wait, when I can see how the first DLC fares before deciding to go all in.

Warxard

Banned
Why the hell would I second guess them when they've come out and said they don't know what they're making?

The lengths people will go on the internet with their mental gymnastics to defend shit like this is absurd.

Because PR, like in any other industry can make poor choices of wording when they're delivering information. I'd like to (hope to) have some sort of faith that a business has some sort of pre-production thing in the back outlining what they're actually doing instead of just...coming up with ideas on the spot.

I don't think Season Passes are bad.

I never get these passes but if the previous two FO games are an indication, they will make enough DLC for that to be worth it. Whether you like the DLC remains to be seen. It was pretty hit and miss for previous titles. Some were great and some were awful.

Pass. No game is worth a season pass. I mean just look at that Arkham Knight one. Just ew.

The only season pass I've ever bought is Driveclub's for £20 and it was worth every penny, and then some. And that was only because they released a chart showing us their DLC plans over the coming months. That's how it should be handled imo. But asking people for $30 for content that might not even be in planning stages yet just doesn't fly with me.

BigDug13

I bought the Borderlands Presequel season pass because Gearbox had set such an outstanding level of excellence with their Borderlands season passes. 2K burned me with one single campaign DLC released, a horrible arena, 2 character classes and that's it.

Never again will I buy a season pass as even franchises that never burned me before are capable of doing just that.

My typical approach to Bethesda games:
1.) Buy game at release
2.) Beat game
3.) Trade in game
4.) ????
5.) Purchase GOTY/Ultimate Edition when released

With mystery season passes, this pattern will continue.

hbkdx12

lmao.

I can't wait til the industry gets the point where they start pushing pre-orders for games that aren't even in development just based off the devs name

"New naughty dog came coming in 2019! Join the excitement and curiosity in not knowing anything about it! Pre-order now!"

I'm buying it ONLY IF they give me a replica of this at the store.

f4-seasonpass-440.jpg

Since we’re still hard at work on the game, we don’t know what the actual DLC will be yet...

Somehow I don't believe this. Not that they aren't working hard on the game, but that no one's come up with any DLC plans whatsoever. If they're only going to start working on the DLC after the game ships then that's fine, but in that case you're asking for $30 up-front for something people might not get for another year at least.

what's worse

" we charge you this much for stuff we didn't planned yet "

or

" we charge you this much for stuff we cutt from the game you bought "

Alucrid

Banned
You could have the best track record in the world, but that doesn't make it any less silly to put money towards what is literally vapourware right now, at least when Naughty Dog announced their The Last of Us season pass we knew it would be 2 multiplayer expansions and 1 singleplayer expansion.
It's not like this will be the only update to the season pass until one day the first piece of content launches. It's not even available for purchase now

Prediction

Fallout 4 launches with paid mod system for PC/XONE/PS4 to support modders. Bethesda will offer official support to popular mod developers to help work their mod into the game with no problems relating to other mods or breaking the game. The season pass grants you access to all Bethesda official Fallout 4 mods.

This is why they don't know yet...

Pretty sure Hines (maybe Howard?) has said that they are not returning to paid mods any time soon.

Melon Husk

I'll take the GOTY version for $10

instead of the $30 "It's totally worth it" mystery box

Anyone with a brain ought to

Arkeband

Banned
As always the season pass is optional (i know it sucks that company's just want us to feed them money through shit like this) so its no that big of a deal in my opinion. I will probably buy the season pass because more than likely i will end up playing this game for thousands of hours just like i did for every other Bethesda RPG since Morrowind. But that's just me because Bethesda is my second favorite game company out there. If you hate the idea of it then just don't buy it and buy the dlcs as they come out or not at all. I mean skyrim didn't really dlc there's so much shit to do so there will probably be enough stuff to do without dlc

I've seriously lost all faith in them since Morrowind. Tribunal and Bloodmoon were meaty, awesome expansions that improved UI elements and gameplay, and added huge land masses and tons of content. They also had free add-ons!

They have never returned to this kind of goodwill development. Their games have to be debugged by the modding community and they just got smacked down from trying to monetize the modding community's work on top of that.

Starting on the post-release content after the main game is complete makes me happy. If more companies did this, I'd have a much more positive opinion of season passes.

Tigress

You know what? I don't get why people hate the season pass. If you don't think it's a good deal, don't buy it. You can't even say that this proves they parted the game out and are making you pay for part of a game... DLC with Bethesda games are obviously expansions and add in the fact they outright said they don't even know what it is. They obviously didn't make a full game and part it out. They are just making plans to add on to it later.

It's not like microtransactions where you pay to power up which means it encourages them to make the game annoying to encourage you to pay. It's an add on to the game so if you really like it you'll want to buy more. That's a profit plan I'm much happier to support cause it encourages them to make a fun game. Not one that is annoying to get you to pay to pass the annoyance.

As for paying without knowing what you are getting.. yeah.. you might say that's a foolish thing. But most people know what they are getting in a Bethesda game. So you either already suspect you're not going to want it or you think you'll probably like it. Or you might like some but not all and you decide it's better to just piecemeal it. It's your choice to take that risk. Also... from what I see, it seems you can buy season passes once all the DLC is out too. So you can wait and see. So really all it is is a discount for buying all the DLC at once (if you didn't want to just wait for the GOTY edition). They just let you buy it now in case you are just over eager to send them your money (no company wants to refuse money if you want to give it to them).

I didn't see so much hate when CDPR put out a season pass and I'm not seeing how CDPR's is any different honestly.

Now, start hating when Bethesda starts using DLC like microtransactions rather than expansion like DLC (Which from what I understand they did try once. A long time ago. But not on any games newer than Fallout 3 so it seems they decided not to repeat that).

maxiell

Bethesda has always offered substantial DLC produced by a team working after they delivered the main game. $30 is less than most in the industry are asking and the money has almost zero chance of not being spent on at least two substantial expansions.

So what exactly is the problem here?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't really remember a an old school expansion that asked you to give a company $30 THAT IS NOT REFUNDABLE on the promise that they will create some sort of content at some time in the future.

I don't see anywhere that it says you have to get the Season Pass NOW or lose previously released content. I waited till ALL the DLC for Dark Souls 2 came out and was none the worse.

You folks are complaining as if Bethesda is saying you have two choices: get the Season Pass now or never. And that's not true at all.

Also if you really think they have no idea what their DLC content is going to be (that will be released within the year), I've also got a bridge to sell ya.

Horns

Normally I don't get season passes, but Bethesda has a history of making quality DLC. Yeah, yeah, horse armor and all, but they've released some big expansions to their games.

Top Bottom